Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 2,781 Words
  • 1,328 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Special - Mayan Tribute: End of the World Entry

From Beyond The Stars - 1. Chapter 1

Date: Thursday, November 1st, 2012 (1500 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The Omicron Array has detected objects moving in the Oort cloud. They are most likely new comets being formed, but at 50,000 astronomical units away, they are at the very extreme of the Array’s resolution. We will monitor them and see what happens.

We are classifying this as a category 5 event: No action currently required.

                                                                                   

 

Date: Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 (1455 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The Oort Cloud objects have just passed within three astronomical units of the Omicron Array. At that distance, they are too far away to be able to take any meaningful scans of, however we do know that they seem to be spherical. We hope to be able to take detailed scans when these objects pass the Persephonid Array in approximately eighty nine hours.

We not advise any further action at the present time.

 

 

Date: Sunday, November 11th, 2012 (1145 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The objects have just passed the Persephonid Deep Space Probe; placing them at around 40000 astronomical units away. Although Persephonid is only equipped with 1970s technology, we have been able to take our first close up scans of the objects. Owing to the age of the probe, a large amount of the data has been lost in transmission, and given the distance the signal had to travel, these objects passed Persephonid at 1125 Zulu today. The objects read as solid, and perfectly spherical. They are approximately 3 metres in diameter, but we have no data on composition.

No naturally occurring object could have possibly traversed 10000 astronomical units in ten days. We therefore must assume that they are some kind of spacecraft, most likely probes.

We are upgrading the classification to a category 4 event: The president should be notified immediately, but no specific action is recommended at this time.

 

 

Date: Friday November 23rd, 2012 (1345 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The objects have just passed the Fermat Array, placing them at 28000 astronomical units away. The Fermat Array is more sophisticated that Persephonid, and so we have been able to take more detailed scans of the objects. Given the distance the signal had to travel, these objects passed Fermat at 1331 Zulu today. Although some of the data has been lost in transmission, we now have a more detailed understanding of these objects. The objects still read as solid, and perfectly spherical. However, we have been able to confirm that objects are metallic, repeat metallic, in nature.

This definitively excludes the possibility of them being a naturally occurring object. We therefore continue with our assumption that they are some kind of probe; perhaps an alien race’s version of our Voyager probes. No communication signals have as yet been detected.

We are maintaining classification as a category 4 event: The president should be notified of this update immediately, but no specific action is recommended by Project StarScream at this time.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 5th, 2012 (1645 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The objects have now passed the Darkstorm Array, placing them at 16000 astronomical units away. The objects continue to travel at a steady rate of speed, of 1000 astronomical units per day. We have attempted to extrapolate how close to the Earth they will pass if they continue en route without disruption, but they are still too far out to accurately do the math. We currently calculate a 2% chance of direct impact with the Earth, a 9% chance they will pass within 200000 kilometres of the Earth, a 35% that they will pass within one million kilometres, and an 85% that they will pass within 10 million kilometres.

We are therefore upgrading this classification as a category 3 event: The president should be notified of this update immediately, and the Gamma Protocol should be enacted.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 5th, 2012 (2135 Zulu)

From: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

To: Priority message to NORAD (Project StarScream)

The President has enacted the Gamma Protocol, and Eden has been placed on alert. The president has also contacted all world leaders on the Orion list. The British prime minister, the Canadian prime minister, the Australian prime minister, and French president have all informed us that their preparations are proceeding on schedule. We have held back from alerting the UN as per the stipulations of the Gamma Protocol.

Continue monitoring and reporting. The objects should pass The Tesla Array sometime on December 19th; we will expect a report on that date.

 

 

Date: Friday December 7th, 2012 (1225 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

We have lost contact with the Omicron Array. The last databurst was received at 0345 Zulu this morning. We expected databursts at 0745 Zulu and 1045 Zulu. We have sent the last databurst for urgent decryption and will update.

 

 

Date: Friday December 7th, 2012 (1625 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

The 0345 Zulu databurst has been decrypted and analysed. There is a large spherical object approximately the size of our moon, and it is surrounded by smaller objects that seem to be the same size as the other objects we have been tracking. There was a collision between the Omicron Array and one of the smaller spheres.

This remains a category 3 event.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 12th, 2012 (1825 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Both the Persephonid Probe and Fermat Array have now been lost. The objects that were initially detected are now approximately nine days away, and at the current rate of approach these newer objects will pass by the Earth approximately eighteen hours later.

We remain at category 3.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 19th, 2012 (0625 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

As expected, the objects have now passed the Tesla Array, placing them at 2083 astronomical units away. The objects continue to travel at a steady rate of speed, and on a steady course; no obvious deviation has been noticed. We now have sufficient data to provide a much more accurate extrapolation of how close to the Earth they will pass. We now calculate a 12% chance of direct impact with the Earth, a 38% chance they will pass within 200000 kilometres of the Earth, a 79% chance that they will pass within one million kilometres, and they will definitely pass within 10 million kilometres.

We are more concerned however with the radiation levels in these objects that the Tesla Array has detected. The levels of radiation are off the detectable scale of the Tesla Array. However, the radiation sensor used is an older one from the late 1980s, and since we have been unable to determine the type of radiation being emitted, we have been unable to calculate the radiation dosage if impact occurs.

We are therefore upgrading this classification to a category 2 event: The president should be notified of this update immediately, and the Beta Protocol should be enacted.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 19th, 2012 (0945 Zulu)

From: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

To: Priority message to NORAD (Project StarScream)

The President has authorised the Beta Protocol to be enacted. Eden is prepared to receive those people on the Cronus List, and the White House staff is also being evacuated. The President has informed the Secretary General of the UN, that these objects have been detected. In accordance with the Beta Protocol, the method of discovery and the true threat they represent has been withheld at this time. No notification of the evacuations have been posted, and all of our military assets remain at DEFCON 5.

We have contacted NASA Project Roentgen, and all deep space radar telescopes are being realigned to attempt to take detailed pictures of these objects as they approach. In order to gather more information on the radiation being emitted, NASA has been ordered to activate the classified Roentgen Array. Once the objects reach 1000 AU (at approximately 1900 Zulu today), they will be close enough for us to perform a full scan.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 19th, 2012 (0950 Zulu)

From: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

To: Priority message to PM Great Britain, PM Canada, PM Australia, President France, Eden USA (Director), Eden Europe (Director), Eden Australia (Director)

The President has enacted the Beta Protocol. Eden is prepared to receive those people on the Cronus List. Please be prepared to carry out your full evacuation plans as soon as you receive notification.

Good luck and God speed to you all.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 19th, 2012 (1025 Zulu)

From: NASA (Project Roentgen)

To: Priority message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and NORAD (Project StarScream)

The Roentgen Array is responding to commands. We have set it to run a full series scan as the objects pass by. They will only be around twelve hours from the Earth by the time the scan takes place, which will leave little time to act on the findings. The Project Roentgen team are relocating to Safe Haven. Further communiqués will occur from the blast shelter.

We are overriding the recommendation from NORAD, and we are upgrading this to a category one event. The Alpha Protocol should be enacted, and all measures taken to ensure those on the Oceanus and Iapetus lists are evacuated to their respective Eden sites.

 

 

Date: Wednesday December 19th, 2012 (1100 Zulu)

From: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

To: Priority message to NORAD (Project StarScream)

The President has authorised the Alpha Protocol to be enacted. Eden Europe has been put on alert to receive those people on the Iapetus List, and Eden Australia is on alert to receive those people on the Oceanus List.

The President has now fully briefed the Secretary General of the UN of the situation. All UN members have been fully briefed of the disaster, and they are joining the evacuation lists.

May God forgive us for not saving more.

 

 

Date: Thursday, December 20th, 2012 (1935 Zulu)

From: NASA (Project Roentgen) – transmitting from Safe Haven

To: Priority black message to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and NORAD (Project StarScream)

The scan has been completed by the Roentgen Array. The radiation levels are too high and intense to allow for an accurate reading, but a conservative estimate places the radiation field between 1200 and 1500 gray; however, there are several radioactive particles that we have been unable to identify.

Even if we are lucky enough, and these objects bypass the Earth by ten million kilometres, everyone on the surface will still receive a lethal dose of radiation in a matter of seconds, and the minimum radiation levels are calculated to be at least one hundred and sixty times the lethal dose.

The radiation exposure will be so high that death will most likely occur within a few hours of exposure; and those exposed will be thankful for it. Their deaths will undoubtedly be excruciatingly painful and unpleasant.

We are not even sure at the present time, if Eden and Safe Haven will provide any protection against the radiation effects, owing to the presence of these two unknown particles. The half mile thick lead lining should be enough to protect us, but unfortunately there is just no way of knowing for sure.

May God help us all.

 

 

Date: Thursday, December 20th, 2012 (1950 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and NASA (Project Roentgen)

NASA’s message received. We have recalculated the trajectory of the objects. We now calculate a 95% likelihood of direct impact with the Earth. We agree with Project Roentgen’s calculations that even if by some miracle the objects pass by the Earth, the planet will still receive a dose of radiation that would destroy all life as we know it. Impact has been calculated to occur at 0940 Zulu tomorrow.

Project StarScream are now evacuating to the Cheyenne Mountain complex. We will use the secondary tunnels to join up with the Project Roentgen team at Safe Haven. We will issue a flash communiqué confirming our safe arrival.

Angels and ministers of grace defend us.

 

 

Date: Thursday, December 20th, 2012 (2356 Zulu)

From: NORAD (Project StarScream)

To: Priority message Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

We have arrived at Safe Haven. All personnel are present and accounted for, and the blast doors are now being sealed.

We will no longer be able to communicate with the outside world. We have supplies to last us for five years, but it should only take us two to three years to finish completing the link tunnel to Eden.

 

 

Date: Friday, December 21st, 2012 (0115 Zulu)

From: Eden Australia (Director)

To: Priority message to Eden USA (Director), Eden Europe (Director), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, NORAD (Project StarScream), NASA (Project Roentgen)

Eden Australia confirms receipt of all persons on the Oceanus List. Eden Australia is going into lockdown mode.

We are now operating on internal power only. From this point onward, the only possible communication will be between the Eden command centres.

 

 

Date: Friday, December 21st, 2012 (0255 Zulu)

From: Eden Europe (Director)

To: Priority message to Eden USA (Director), Eden Australia (Director), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, NORAD (Project StarScream), NASA (Project Roentgen)

Eden Europe confirms receipt of all persons on the Oceanus List. Eden Australia is going into lockdown mode.

We are now operating on internal power only.

 

 

Date: Friday, December 21st, 2012 (0412 Zulu)

From: Eden USA (Director)

To: Priority message to Eden Australia (Director), Eden Europe (Director), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, NORAD (Project StarScream), NASA (Project Roentgen)

Eden Australia confirms receipt of all persons on the Oceanus List. Eden Australia is going into lockdown mode.

We are now operating on internal power only.

 

 

***************************************************************************

 

“Well class, there you have it. That was the way we survived the death of our planet. The radioactive objects impacted exactly as expected on December 21st 2012. We never found out where they came from, or if their impact on Earth was deliberate or some kind of tragic accident.

“As you can see in these pictures taken by surface probes that were designed about five years after the impact occurred, that nothing survived.” The teacher handed out colour photographs taken by surface probes that had long since ceased to function. “The flora and fauna of our world was wiped out along with humanity, the oceans were literally boiled away, and our atmosphere was nearly obliterated. Even now, almost two hundred years after impact, our planet is being bombarded with solar radiation, and it seems as though we will never be able to return to the surface.

“In spite of the huge military effort of the time, only ten thousand people survived; and those ten thousand were spread out between the three Eden sites. We have not heard from Eden Australia or Eden USA in nearly one hundred and seventy five years, and we can only hope that they have fared better than we have.”

Although the evacuations to Eden Europe, Eden Australia, and Eden USA had been planned with military precision, the evacuation lists seemed to have been drafted by a moron. The evacuation lists were filled with world leaders, diplomats and religious figures; many of them too old to even think about propagating the species, and more than a few of them so old they had most likely even forgotten if propagating was worth having in the first place.

The twelve children currently sitting in the classroom represented the last of the children to have been born in the Eden Europe facility; Jason Anderson was the last child to have been born there, and that was twelve years ago. With eleven boys and only one girl amongst them, they were now perhaps facing the final extinction of our species.

Oh well, so much for the best laid plans of mice and men.

Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Special - Mayan Tribute: End of the World Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

An interesting take on the theme, with an other worldly twist. I knew I would never be on one of those survival lists, but I'm glad you pointed out the fact that there construction may be significantly flawed and still end up dooming the survival of the human race. Well done and extremely interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/22/2012 05:59 AM, Bill W said:
An interesting take on the theme, with an other worldly twist. I knew I would never be on one of those survival lists, but I'm glad you pointed out the fact that there construction may be significantly flawed and still end up dooming the survival of the human race. Well done and extremely interesting.
Thanks for reviewing Bill.

 

In all of the disaster movies I've seen, they always save the President and the Pope and the old "Daddy Warbucks" guys with the money, and give no thought to having a large enough gene pool to ensure survival of the species. I thought it was time to call them on it :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/22/2012 02:23 AM, Michael9344 said:
Great tragic story. Really enjoyed the Michael Critchon effect:)
Thanks for reading Michael.

 

Glad you enjoyed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/21/2012 11:48 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
We were following the same line of thoughts. :)

Great story. Totally liked it.

Thanks for the review Dolores.

 

I kinda rushed this in the end, so the ending isn't as long as I would have liked, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 

As they say: Great minds think alike :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So the world ends and the idiots are saved. Too bad there weren't enough people to actually have a chance at repopulating. Scary that only one is a girl. With the births the way they are now I would have expected the reverse. All girls and one boy or no boys at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I wonder how likely that would be; I mean, there would still be a lot of rich families and politicians are always family/religious types. However, if I focus on that I'd have to focus on whole objects coming to Earth. I always wondered what the big object was. I'd hate to be that one girl too. That'd be awful, knowing that any children you had would have to be the very last...*shivers*

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love the presentation of this Andy. Very clever use of the layout and premise of the story actually being a history lesson.

I also love the fact that the long term repercussions of the make up of the list is something unconsidered by the people of the time, and ultimately could be the very thing that ends our chances of indefinite survival.

The chilling thing of this story is the consideration that we don't even need orbs from outer space to reek such devastation here on earth, we have weapons that could in reality do similar damage in the various arsenals around the world. All we need is one idiot to start a chain reaction that launches a barrage of them at once, and end game in very much the same way.

Loved it. :) Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/22/2012 12:44 PM, comicfan said:
So the world ends and the idiots are saved. Too bad there weren't enough people to actually have a chance at repopulating. Scary that only one is a girl. With the births the way they are now I would have expected the reverse. All girls and one boy or no boys at all.
That's always the way isn't it? It's always the idiots who survive :)

 

I thought about going with the flow, but the only problem with there being so many girls and one boy, is that it would still leave hope for survival.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/25/2012 12:04 PM, Yettie One said:
I love the presentation of this Andy. Very clever use of the layout and premise of the story actually being a history lesson.

I also love the fact that the long term repercussions of the make up of the list is something unconsidered by the people of the time, and ultimately could be the very thing that ends our chances of indefinite survival.

The chilling thing of this story is the consideration that we don't even need orbs from outer space to reek such devastation here on earth, we have weapons that could in reality do similar damage in the various arsenals around the world. All we need is one idiot to start a chain reaction that launches a barrage of them at once, and end game in very much the same way.

Loved it. :) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reviewing Rob.

 

I did have a have page reply, but internet went floopy and it went away.

 

Suffice to say thanks for reading :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..