Jump to content
    arsimms
  • Author
  • 388 Words
  • 643 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Arsimms' Prompts - 1. Prompt 320 - The Move

My first time doing prompts.Be gentle j/k.

As we passed the millionth cactus and stared at the broken clock in our beat up car that had no air conditioner on this godforsaken trip, from Amarillo to Reno, to our new home through the thousand miles of endless desert, I began to get agitated at my husband's stubbornness at not flying our family to our new city. It seems our son was feeling the same way.

"Dad, this trip is horrible. Why aren't we flying to this hellhole again?"

"Pardon me? Hellhole? Where did you pick that word up, Billy?"

"Daddy was talking about with grandma last night. Is hellhole not the right word?"

I shrunk at our eight year old's infallible ability to tell the truth or his unfiltered mind.

"You know he's impressionable, why would you cuss in front of him? Oh, and another thing it's not a hellhole."

"I'm sorry, but I had no idea that he was nearby when Mom and I were Skyping on the computer last night. To be honest he has bat-hearing it's kinda scary."

"But why call our new place a hellhole. You saw it online, it's not that bad. Is it?"

"No, its not that. Its that you refused to fly us out there. This car is a deathtrap, with no AC. I feel like it's gonna break down any moment now."

"You know how I feel about flying, Kyle."

"You know Marcus, your stubbornness is so painful sometimes. It's like ripping off a Band-Aid."

"It's not that bad."

"Yea, it is." Billy quipped.

"Hey don't gang up on me. Don't you have a video game to play back there?"

"I finished Sonic the Hedgehog an hour ago."

I got Super Mario Brothers out for him. 'That should hold him for the rest of the trip,' I thought.

"You know what?" I asked my husband of fifteen years.

"What?"

"I am actually excited for this new chapter of our lives. I love you Marcus."

"I love you too, Kyle."

I grabbed his hand and we smiled at each other.

"Hey, I love you too!" Billy said from the backseat.

"We love you too, Billy." we said simultaneously.

After a few minutes of silence and listening to Mario go down the tubes, I turned to watch the desert landscape pass by cacti and all.

THE END

My first time doing prompts.Be gentle j/k.
2014 Reese Simms; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/27/2014 07:06 AM, paul.b said:
Well done for your first attempt loking forward toyour second
thanks paul
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well now that you've lost your virginity, and in a nice way, can't wait to see what else you have planned. Loved the fact that their son has "bat hearing" cause that, if nothing else seems to be true with most children. lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I agree with everyone else. Great job. I really enjoyed this. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..