Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 988 Words
  • 244 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rocky Prompts, Tennessee - 12. Prompt 145: The Abider

Prompt 145: Create your own secret society. What’s its mission statement and purpose? Who are its members? Where do you meet?

"Agent Bob, target is coming your way."

Registering the directive, Bob pressed his earwig and whispered, "Copy. I'll follow when they pass."

The Abiders operative leaned against the brick wall on a busy street. His mission was simple: trail the suspect while obeying the agency's rules. He had been in the Abiders of Sovereign Security for over a year now, and even then, he couldn't believe their existence. Serving as a federal agent and presidential detail, he was tapped to be one of the legendary undercover officers. As the woman of interest approached in her gray sweater and yellow denim pants, Bob looked down to his phone. Despite their ridiculous acronym, ASS was nothing to scoff at, once you learned of their presence. Unsuspected people were the deadliest of covert law enforcement.

The catch? Being an agent meant to abide by all laws, big or small. Particularly of common sense. Name a common guideline or courtesy, and he had to obey. Bob understood the power behind it. "Become the perfect nobody," he thought. "Even jaywalking would catch someone's eye." There were times he stopped to wonder how many ASS spies he passed by unknowingly.

He pursued the woman at a distance, matching her pace. Ten innocents were between them, and Bob had to act perfectly and time the city's environment to his benefit. The suspect had crossed the street, and the light showed the orange countdown. He had to speed up. His foot left the sidewalk just as the number reached two. If he was any slower, the hand would've stopped flashing, and he would've risked losing her and his job.

ASS typically operated in teams of three; two on the ground and one watcher. He knew better than to ask questions of how the watchers performed so well. They always knew where the target and teammates were at all times. Drones? Superpowers? Bob cared not. He had his role to play.

When the woman entered a large store, he radioed, "Going in."

"I'll be behind you in two," Kat, his fellow agent, responded.

Knowing he had backup, Bob's confidence rose. He smiled and analyzed the grocery storefront. With a handbasket, the agent perused. The target, Allison Knargetti, seemed so innocent in demeanor. Bob knew why ASS was after her.

Nuclear physicist turned bomb-maker, Knargetti was recognized as a threat to the country. The New York pipe bomb of 2033. The mega-molotov in San Francisco, 2034. She never detonated her own devices but with hands like hers… "She needs to be captured," he thought.

His plan to follow her took a nosedive when Knargetti circled back to the checkout area. “No, for the love of God.”

She went into the ladies’ restroom. For the time being, Bob was powerless. Men weren't allowed in there. The sheer contemplation of going in was career suicide. He had no choice but to whisper, “Suspect in the bathroom. Kat?”

“Going in.”

He watched from the corner of his vision of his teammate walking up and gingerly pressing against the door. The female agent was flawlessly normal, almost showcasing an introvertedness in her gait. A minute passed silently in Bob’s world. The register beeps and casual conversations fell on deaf ears. When Knargetti came out, Bob quickly pressed his earwig. “Kat, come in.”

No response.

“Eye, possible agent down. I’m in hot pursuit.”

“Be careful, Bob.”

With Kat’s life in jeopardy, his only goal was to catch Knargetti. Yet, with his current career limitations, he couldn’t initiate a takedown. The secrecy of his agency acted as a priority. ASS would rather remain unknown, even if it meant letting a suspect go free. But that never sat well with Bob. He always got his man, including the assassin that attempted to kill President Maldonado back in 2029. There were times when Bob wished the joke of a leader found himself at the brutal end of a bullet or knife, but duty always came first.

Knargetti made it to the street. The physicist had to know she was being hunted. Time was of the essence. Bob found the yellow denim amidst the pedestrians, and the legs were walking fast. The question now… How to delay her? The easiest way was to initiate contact. Still, if Knargetti took out Kat, she had some hand-to-hand skills. A cautious approach was required. There had to be an opening.

There! He saw it. Something fell out of her purse. A cloth of some sort. Upon picking it up, Bob took the opportunity and ran at Knargetti. She was in his sights, and nothing would stop him.

"Excuse me, miss!" His holler caught the attention of many, including the bomb maker. "I believe you dropped this."

Knargetti sighed and nervously closed the distance. "I– Thank you. It's not something to worry abou—"

"Bob," Eye said through the earwig. "LEOs found Kat. Alive and unconscious. Judging from the dispatch call, she was gassed. Keep her busy. An FBI team is en route. "

Returning his focus to the woman, Bob smiled. He tried to make small talk with her, but she insisted she had to be somewhere. In the end, they parted, but he followed from a greater distance than before. Knargetti looked over her shoulder frequently, so the agent had to lower his posture and hide behind other pedestrians.

“Bob, the FBI is about to pin her. Your mission is complete.”

“Understood,” he muttered. “Still…”

“As always.”

He stood in place. Few operatives in ASS cared for the outcome of their missions. Bob needed to know if he was the deciding factor of a caught man. He watched as Knargetti continued onward, halting when three people wearing FBI jackets appeared from all sides. Once the woman was in cuffs, Bob turned away.

“Agent Bob,” Eye uttered, “you’re off to Kentucky. Guy’s squad requires a second man for a takedown.”

Adjusting his ball cap, he whispered, “On the way.”

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was such a fun read! :2thumbs:  I was so into the scene and then it was done LOL  But now I want to know what is happening in Kentucky...🤔

  • Love 2
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

That was such a fun read! :2thumbs:  I was so into the scene and then it was done LOL  But now I want to know what is happening in Kentucky...🤔

Hmm. Will Bob make a reappearance somewhere in the Stone Story verse? It'll have to be somewhere in the future...

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..