Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 6,689 Words
  • 1,189 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Descendants of the Ida Dynasty - 6. Chapter 6: Training Day

Sorry for the hiatus folks. I'm getting back into the swing of writing again. Hope you enjoy ;).

A blue flame kindled in the background. I was left in my room, allowed to awaken in the confines of my own private space. Seeing where I was, I removed myself from my bedding, slowly investigating my legs, belly, and chest, seeing them function normally and remain intact.

I lifted from the bed and felt myself restored! My lungs expanding and constricting, the sound of my stomach rumbling and vibrating in my ears. My arms, hands, and feet, they all moved smoothly. I didn’t feel any pain. Who was I to thank?

I opened the curtains, leading to the doorway of my private balcony. A bitter cool washed through, ceasing to be blocked by the towering mountains. The darkness of the sky was pure and clear with the galaxies beyond to illuminate it. I breathed in the frigid air, looking over this grand fortress built for my father. I wondered if he knew of the incident at Tygrus, and my trepidation blossomed for fear he would keep me trapped in his stronghold and remove me of what little responsibilities I had to begin with. The failed daughter of Deko, they’ll say, unable to do something as simple as presiding over roll call without getting herself killed. Intense shame overwhelmed me.

I screamed into the darkness. How could I have failed so miserably? And as I ruminated on my failing, it occurred to me that my being here wasn’t some unexpected circumstance, a miracle invoked by some make-believe God in the sky. My recovery was orchestrated and planned accordingly, sought after desperately to avoid any guards being executed for not protecting me from injury. The image of the one responsible for my restoration began to form in my head.

I had this strange yearning to find this man: He was a descendant, one with copper bracelets. And his eyes, those eyes! It was peculiar to think much of a descendant or to possess any real interest in one. What had come over me? I knew not, but everything in me told me to find him again, to thank him for what he had done, and to apologize for whatever horrors he must have endured that, essentially, brought me back to life. It was the least I could do, I could only hope he was still alive... As I returned to my room to reminisce of the day the two of us met, one image dominated: the descendant’s golden eyes.

 

6 days earlier…

 

Diego had a surplus of energy this morning, readying himself for training with Gage. I was thankful for the bit of normalcy; I’ve been laden with guilt since Diego and I’s forced escape; our old life being too distant and unreachable. Admittedly I felt some responsibility, though I never told Diego. We did our best to adjust to the circumstances, and I was fortunate to have him by my side.

We finished our meal procured by Oneida, and Gage had her and Diego follow him outside. Since I’ve been here, it occurred to me how much the little girl took part in the affairs that went on in the home. I was excited to see what she would contribute to Diego’s training. Before the three left, Rosco caught up with Diego.

“While you train, leave your daggers with me,” he said.

Diego raised an eyebrow. “What for?”

“I won’t have them for long. I plan to improve their effectiveness for you, if you’ll allow it…”

The grinder and stones in the basement had a purpose after all. Diego agreed to lend them over. Once the three exited, Rosco pulled me aside. Since last night, he has shown interest in my story and wished to discuss it more. I had been looking forward to it, he remained the only one able to demystify this irrational experience I was going through, clearing the fog that clouded my mind.

“I do want to apologize for worrying you two,” Rosco began, speaking low. “There are too many like you taken advantage of. I couldn’t live with myself if I let you both go without informing you of the truth.”

“We appreciate all you’ve done, sir,” I replied. “I was hesitant to reveal what’s been happening to me with Diego, thinking that it would come off as crazy-”

“And it isn’t! It’s all a part of their plan! These neku feed off our confusion and mistrust. It’s how they operate!”

“I believe it, but to what end?”

Rosco’s eyes burned into me, then he turned away. There’s too many like you taken advantage of. Was he referring to clairsentients like myself? He clasped his hands behind his back and took a few steps before closing his eyes. Slow, methodical breaths released from him. His shoulders relaxed. When he opened his eyes again, he was frowning.

“Barken, can you recall more about your dream? What reason did Princess Xandra have for coming here, whom she spoke to? Was she on some kind of mission? Did she have any weapons on her that stood out?”

I tried remembering how it went. “Hmm, nothing peculiar about her weaponry as far as I know. Just the typical arsenal they carry. She was simply overseeing roll call...but if I didn’t know any better, she was ordered to do so by her father, as opposed to doing so on her own accord.”

He hummed. “That makes sense. Go on.”

"As far as who she was speaking to, all I remember is the guard who was berating the murdered descendant-”

“What did she say?!”

“She ordered the soldier to stop.”

“Huh? What would reason would the Princess of Deko have to defend one of us, the people her father rules over? That doesn’t make sense.” Rosco put his hand to his chin and begin to pace feverishly. He unconsciously kicked at the pillows we sat on for our meals. “Have you been exposed to any other memories?”

“No, that was it.”

He was still frowning as he turned away from me. It seemed to be a mix of pity and fear.

“There’s more to come. Your recollection of events has likely been fragmented which gives us no time to act. Dammit!”

He seemed to get more lively as we went along, similar to Diego when he’s trying to make sense of something. He was animated, speaking quickly, occupied with his troubling thoughts. Perspiration started falling to his chin.

“Were fragmented memories an experience past clairsentients had reported...after being kidnapped?” I asked.

“What? Oh, yes of course...”

I said, “I haven’t experienced any other memories aside from the one I shared with you, but I seem to be connected to her in some other way.”

His eyes opened wide. “How!?”

“I’m not quite sure. I’ve caught myself experiencing emotions without provocation as though they weren’t coming from me. Rage, loss, inadequacy, it’s like someone else is inside me. This would make sense if it was someone I knowingly healed, but in this situation-”

Suddenly, Rosco grabbed me by my arms. His fingers and lips trembled, eyes bulged. I expected him to realize how intense he was becoming, but he seemed beside himself.

“Rage!? Loss!? Why? What would reason would she have to feel any of this? Because of the murdered descendant’s revolt against them? For her fallen comrades?! Come on, Barken, concentrate!”

“Rosco-”

“Don’t you realize how valuable you are?! Listen, you can be the catalyst that finally brings Deko down. You can be the one that changes everything!”

“I… Rosco, with all due respect, none of this has been about fighting Deko. Diego and I are just trying to find somewhere safe to go-”

“But you have a responsibility! You are an asset to every descendant currently in bondage, don’t you get that!? You and your friend can save us all. My son’s words towards our own have been harsh, I know. He’s a lost cause, the cruelness of this world has numbed him.

“But you don’t have to let it get to you! You have the potential to be an asset in this fight for our freedom, I can feel it. Don’t let his callousness and the loss of moral you see around you destroy your light!”

He was becoming harder to redirect, more forceful as his grip became tighter. His despair showed, holding on to me like his life and every other descendants’ was contingent on this very moment.

“Let’s take a break. There’s no need for us to-”

“No Barken!”

“Rosco, please-”

I attempted to grab onto his arms to release myself. Without realizing, my palms illuminated. I froze. By the time Rosco took notice of what was occurring, my mind went elsewhere and I was in his thoughts and no longer in his home.

A young Rosco and a woman of similar appearance to him materialized before me, bumping fists. They were engaged in activities in the dark, hidden from the guards and even their own. They transported large loads of knives, swords, axes, and the like to Rosco’s home, preparing them for sharpening. I assumed they were a part of the weapon smuggling activity I picked up on when Diego and I first arrived here. Rosco tended to the weapons, but the woman had another role. She built up the morale of her comrades, gathering them together, and speaking of descendant sovereignty. I saw her hold hands with them, her vermilion green aura gently wrapping itself around their hands and arms.

My next vision showed her expressing distress to Rosco, her eyes tired and body shrunken. The ones who once held onto her every word had turned their back on her, leaving the operation Rosco and her led to fall apart.

This would take me to another scene, the young Rosco passing by the well at the dead of night. He noticed a figure near it, face down in the dirt. He cautiously approached, only to discover it was a descendant. And if he didn’t know any better, he could’ve sworn the individual had a striking similarity to his sister…

My mind ejected itself from the vision and brought me to the present, with Rosco standing in front of me. My hands still held his arms, my glow fading. He stared at me, his face still damp and his mouth agape.

My hands fell to the side. “I-I’m sorry,” was all I could say.

“What’s going on here?” The two of us turned, finding Gage at the doorway. Rosco released me without even looking me in my eyes, then walked out of the room silently.

Gage asked, “Something wrong with pa?”

I wasn’t able to answer the question myself. “He may need some time alone. Is there something you need?”

“Yes. You.”

 

When I exited the front, the air was stiff with hell-like heat. Diego could be seen in the distance kneeled to the ground with Oneida close by. But as I focused on the scene, something was deeply amiss. My pulse quickened; drops of crimson that increased in frequency and quantity fell to the dirt, it’s source being from Diego’s arm.

“Diego!!!” I screamed, rushing towards him.

Oneida saw me and rushed my way. “I’m sorry!” she said immediately. “I didn’t mean to throw it that hard.”

“Throw what?!” Coming closer, an ax laid nearby, bloodied at the tip. “Oh my-”

“Barken!” Diego called out to me. “I’ll be okay, just hurry.”

Kneeled next to him, eyeing the rivers of red that fell from his arm, my hand held his shoulder while another held his back. He leaned into it as his eyes slowly shut. Oneida’s pupils glistened, reflecting off my aura. She appeared hypnotized, stepping forward slowly as though wanting to reach out and feel it for herself, to know that what she saw was real. Diego’s wounds sealed as Gage approached us. His mind seemed to be elsewhere as he watched.

“You’re okay?” I asked Diego.

He said, “Of course,” as his hands brushed my cheek. Oneida’s eyes were still locked on Diego’s newly healed arms.

“Stand up, we have more to do,” Gage said. Diego arose without complications, no longer needing my assistance. Gage then faced me. “I’m working on his speed and endurance. If he fails to perform either efficiently, you can expect more blood will be spilled. You think you’ll be able to handle it?”

Diego frowned. This would be a daunting task, constantly healing these brutal wounds. And he knew it too. Tygrus posed an issue foreign to the two of us; I was the sole healer we could count on. How effective would I be, aiding each injury he might suffer no matter how severe they are? Our time was limited, and I could only respond with, “I’ll do my best.”

 

Oneida twirled her ax before us like a baton, a child’s plaything. She swung it around, ripping the air, her brows furrowed and face serious. Unwavering confidence emanated from her. After a talk from Gage, she was less timid about the possibility of injuring Diego again, and it helped that Diego assured her she was helping him become stronger. She eyed me and gave me a wink.

“There are two skills you could gain a great deal from,” began Gage, speaking to Diego while studying the katanas he held in his hands. “Agility and defense. Oneida can work on your dodging, I’ll train you to take a hit. Let’s hope this time you manage to move a little quicker on your feet.”

I stood near the doorway of their home, warned by Gage to keep hidden. The sun was beginning to reach the top of the sky. I slowly adjusted, the heat seemingly less overbearing. Diego would attest that the weather here was far more extreme compared to Orion.

As if predicting when he would most likely be off guard, Oneida’s ax came hurling towards Diego with break-neck speed. Diego noted it’s trajectory and flung himself out the way.

“Damn!” Diego said under his breath. Oneida appeared to be smirking.

Gage laughed softly. “She’s quick eh?” Diego wiped off the dirt he conjured on his legs, eyeing Gage as though he could kill him. “You know somethin’? When you land, you trip yourself up. You’re clumsy. For now on, use your entire sole, not your heel, when landing. You’ll recover quicker.” Gage sheathed his katanas and moved quickly towards Diego. “Now, let’s see you take a punch.”

Gage instructed Diego to do what he can to defend himself against him. It seemed simple enough. Gage got into his battle stance, eyes closed. An aura of silver enveloped his mauve skin like smoke releasing from his pores. When he opened them, Gage launched himself toward Diego, delivering rapid-fire punches that pushed Diego back. He held his own, but Gage was notably quicker. Every punch Diego was able to defend, Gage made contact with his gut, his chest. His legs took a beating with Gage’s kicks. I wasn’t used to seeing a descendant who fought on par with Diego, the one exception being Zuri from back home.

At one point, Gage managed to kick Diego hard enough to bring him to the floor. Gage quickly flung himself in the air immediately after, with a shuriken appearing from behind. It cut through the air, slicing through the space that was Diego’s shoulder as he threw his upper torso back. The shuriken pierced into the ground. As he recovered, Gage was already on top of him and kicked him hard, the skin on his chest and belly rippling as they absorbed the blow. I inhaled and forgot to breathe.

There was no warm-up, no safety precautions. Oneida threw an assortment of objects ranging from shurikens, small pebbles, daggers, and her ax. She had no reservation using her lethal weaponry with exceptional skill. Gage was particularly merciless, making every effort to overwhelm Diego. When Gage landed an elbow into Diego’s stomach that had him reeling from the unexpected pain, he laughed in triumph. Diego roared, then found himself throwing his fist at Gage. Gage grabbed the fist effortlessly. When Diego attempted to kick, Gage grabbed a hold of his leg as well. They stared each other down before Gage pushed him to the ground. Diego, exhausted, laid still.

“Had enough?” Gage taunted him.

It was hard to watch. Diego looked downtrodden, beaten, lacking even the most minimal of motivation after being constantly pushed to the floor. How could anyone endure this? It seemed like he had enough. Whilst on his back, hacking and retrieving his breath, he managed to use the remaining strength he had and pulled himself from the floor. His determination seemed to exceed whatever limitations his body may have had.

And he got back up, every time.

My role was inevitable: whenever Diego suffered a severe enough injury, my clairsentience did what it could to restore him to health. I pressed my palms into his flesh, feeling his body restore itself anew. Sharp and deep cuts from weapons, broken bones, heavy bleeding, fatal wounds. With every healing ceremony, Diego’s body grew tougher, just as Gage predicted.

Soon, Diego adopted maneuvers I’d never seen him perform, a great deal of those skills attributed to Gage’s instruction and his own honed abilities. He did flips in the air when dodging, caught projectiles as they came for him, including Oneida’s own ax. He blocked kicks with his feet, caught Gage’s attacks with even greater accuracy. Once, Gage threw a fist at Diego’s direction, only for Diego to catch it in his arm, twist Gage around so his back was to him, then put him in a chokehold in one swift motion. He loosened his grip to let him free, and Gage, while surprised by the maneuver, found himself softly laughing, pushing Diego away from him.

“Not bad, for a warrior from Orion.”

You could see their blossoming camaraderie. They were like brothers, pushing each other harder and not allowing the other to play it easy as if the two would allow themselves the comfort. Diego bonded with Oneida as well, complimenting her on the well-developed skills that she attained at this ripe age. He encouraged her to give all she had. And, as though taking it as a challenge, Oneida worked harder, even for the chance to nick his skin. She was growing, just like Diego and her father.

Soon, all three were sparring. Oneida, ever the agile one like her father, moved like air, gliding across the field and throwing fists at Diego as her father pulled out his katanas and charged for Diego head-on. He had improved beyond every one of our expectations. Diego was awed by his own transformation, and I imagine Sapphire and Cosmo would’ve given anything to see this. His blossoming strength, however, wouldn’t channel itself to me.

I was aching all over, finding it hard to stand for long periods. Though it was so warm outdoors, I felt cold. My breathing was becoming labored, attracting Oneida’s attention. She had a worried look on her face, having to watch me further use my ability and being unable to hide the excruciating look on my face. My marigold aura faded with time. Gage was the only one who could push Oneida and Diego forward as their worried faces honed in on me.

“Our time is limited,” he said. “Come on!”

After one particularly gruesome healing, my marigold aura darkened to the color of rust. It shriveled as I felt my body was collapsing on itself, having to constantly bear the brunt of these wounds I healed. Before I knew it, I went blank. When I came to, my face was in the dirt.

“Barken!” I heard Diego scream, his voice muffled in my ear.

“Let’s bring him inside,” Gage said. Diego hoisted me on his shoulders and I could feel the toughness of his skin, how broad he’d become in such a short time. Carrying me was effortless to him. As Gage spoke about procuring some water, I blanked out again.

 

The sun looked ready to set when I became conscious again. Diego held me in his arms as we laid out on the living room floor. Amazingly, I felt okay. The aches were gone, breathing was normal. I saw myself reaching a hand to Diego’s face to see if my abilities were restored. Instead, the injuries I healed for him began flooding my mind and I was afraid of feeling that pain again. I pulled back. His ears fluttered before he opened his eyes to look at me.

“You’re okay?” he asked.

“Yes,” I told him. “Much better. Where is everyone?”

“At roll call,” he said. “I was worried about you. You did very well today.”

It was a tender moment that was much needed. I had forgotten about all the mess we are in and was thankful to have him with me.

“No worrying needed, thank you. But I should tell you something...”

I told Diego about what happened with Rosco this morning and the flashback I had when we touched. I can remember the pain he held in him when we separated from each other, that anguish he’s held in for so long and his desperation for hope. Rosco talked of big ideas not too different from the ones that the clairsentient in his memories spoke of: descendant sovereignty, freedom from Deko, resistance. It all seemed so complicated, to think that descendants have actively sought an escape from our tormentors and we knew nothing of it. Was that even an option?

“So, he’s saying your connection to Deko’s daughter can somehow change all this,” he said with suspicion in his voice. “Barken, this man can’t be serious. Suppose you do decipher the memories of this girl and become privileged to information that no descendant has ever had access to. What are the two of us going to do about it?”

“I don’t know. It seems far-fetched to think that what has happened to me could create such an impact. Where do I even start?”

The sky took on a purplish, blue tone. The sweltering heat began to fade rapidly. I found on the stool near us Diego’s daggers.

“Has Rosco finished with your blades?” I asked.

Diego nodded. “He returned them to me, right before they left. Judging by what happened between you two this morning, I can see why he was so timid.”

It was discomforting to have Rosco go through those memories, knowing how hard they must’ve been for him to relive. I’ve never had my abilities act upon themselves without my control. It seems the healing of Princess Xandra, daughter of Deko, has affected me far more than Diego or I thought. Speaking of…

“Diego, I dreamt about her again.”

He sat up. “The Princess?”

“Yes, while I was passed out today. I...I think she’s looking for me.”

Diego’s eyes widened. Before he could say anything, however, the door creaked, and there entered the family of three. Gage had a kill for the five of us to devour and Oneida held in her hands some produce.

“The shop lady nearby gave us this,” she said with a smile. “It’ll be good for you!" Rosco came in from behind them and avoided my gaze.

“Mind if I have a word with you two downstairs,” he said, moving quickly towards them. Diego gauged if I was able to move on my own, which had been no problem, before we descended down.

The basement kept cool despite the heat outdoors. Rosco was near his grinding machine, his hands moving against it, the remnants of iron, steel, and other metals rubbing onto his fingers and palms. He didn’t look at me, but his expression gave away what appeared to be pain and shame.

“I’m sorry for my behavior this morning,” he said. “I...I was being unfair, having hoisted that responsibility onto you after all you’ve been through. I hadn’t intended to frighten you, but to make you as informed as possible about your, well, “our” situation. You see, my sister had been a clairsentient as well.”

“Was she the clairsentient I saw in your visions?” I asked.

He looked solemn, pausing for sometime before saying, “Yes, she was my sister, my only sister. I had other siblings, two brothers, no longer living. Passed on by natural and unnatural means. But that isn’t here or there…

“I’d say she was around your age when she disappeared. There was a time when Deko’s Royal Soldiers confiscated weapons, barging into homes, mercilessly assaulting anyone who stood in their way. They rid warriors of their pride and glory, weaponry made for them since the day of their birth. The outlandishness of it all! As if these creatures actively sought ways to bury us. It wasn’t long before some decided to fight back. With our dearth of weaponry, however, we were completely outgunned. That’s where my sister and I came in.

“Far west of here is a town that eagerly provided us with the weaponry needed, a town filled with powerful elementalists. With the uproars going on, Joletta and I’s scheme appeared to garner little notice. I’d prepare the weapons, and she would gather more descendants to fight, being the great orator that she was. We were the first to create such a channel for weapon smuggling. Others took part. But, as you’ve seen with your own eyes, taking part in the trade poses a significant amount of danger to those involved. People were scared to take part, as you can imagine. Deko’s Royal soldiers grew suspicious.

“Neku have ways of gathering intelligence, going as far as to use our own. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise to me when you said another descendant had took part in your kidnapping, Barken. He was likely coerced. Many descendants do the unthinkable when their hands are tied, being put under this subjugation. And one would give these neku information regarding my sister, leading to her discovery. But rather than rid my sister outright, they found a way to make us believe that her death was her own doing…”

Rosco’s brows furrowed, in sync with the internal storm that brewed within him. I let him be with his thoughts, just as he allowed me to digest his words. It didn’t occur to me the various ways these beings manipulated and abused us. I couldn’t be angry at my “brother” for having participated in my capture, even if what he did had caused all this. He didn’t have a choice to decline, any more than Diego and I having the choice to remain in Orion. It’s our lack of choices that put us all in the dire living situations we find ourselves in. Rosco’s desperation was making sense.

“When Joletta returned, she complained of odd visions, troublesome memories that weren’t her own, but yet, intimately connected to her. Disturbingly, they belonged to a being that clearly wasn’t a descendant. My father knew nothing about this phenomenon. He believed it to be ludicrous, and I can’t say my brothers and I took heed to her words. In hindsight, we were foolish. If there was anyone who could decode her memories, it was other clairsentients. However, out of fear, they wouldn’t, having their own demons to handle as a result of their captures. Left alone with those memories that wouldn’t let her sleep, she was found dead by the well.”

Rosco became silent all of a sudden. He started shedding tears, focusing on the floor. Tears became a low sob. Without thinking, I gradually moved towards him. He glanced at me, but posed no alarm to my closeness. I placed my arms around him, and my palms glowed. He flinched, but let himself be held, his body seeming to soften.

“You must understand, Barken,” he continued, “I failed my sister. Gage was a little boy when it happened, he shouldn’t have had to witness his aunt die so tragically. He blamed the resistance for Joletta’s death. I didn’t know what she carried, and I ignored it, dumbly. It was a fatal mistake. And oh, the knowledge we could’ve had, and the difference we could’ve made had she lived!”

He looked at me with watery eyes and smiled, clasping both my cheeks. “It is no coincidence that I’ve met you, son. This is my moment to pay her back and condone for my sins, to meet a clairsentient like you is a gift. I’m here to tell you that what happened to you, what you’re experiencing, I believe it. I believe you! You’re damn fortunate to have your other Diego, who has followed you every step of the way. That puts you at an advantage ahead of every clairsentient that has been taken and turned away from when they were needed most! Please, if not for me, fight for them, son. Fight for descendants!”

 

I mulled over Rosco’s words as we rested. We had all reached exhaustion after our meal and immediately went to bed. I could imagine a young Rosco working with the materials that laid around us, the water stones and grinders, forging the weapons necessary for battle. The losses that came with it. Being fugitives, Diego and I already had targets on our backs. It was only a matter of time before we were discovered, and I’d hate for this family to be put in any danger.

Then there was the Princess of Deko. It was late enough, Diego suggested we brief about it in the morning. With all that Rosco had told us, I neglected to tell him of the dream as well. Does she come as a friend, or an enemy? Even with access to her emotions, she seemed troubled and unsure of herself. Is the descendant trying to confuse me? Trick me? They are known for their trickery...

I took myself outdoors to quiet the voices in my head, stepping onto the cool dirt. Tygrus was silent. The smell of smoke entered my nostrils. An orange glow appeared in the distance. Must’ve been a fire, but I heard no sounds of distress. Either a curfew didn’t exist here, or some were bold enough to disobey it. I would hear battle cries in the distance, likely where Diego and Gage traversed to the previous day. This place seemed to be a different world more than a different town; to be able to freely walkabout in the shadows and do whatever you please. Yet in the end, we couldn’t stay.

Then... there was a chilling scream. Close by, too close. Not far from Rosco’s home. I looked around the area, finding a door to one of these homes wide open, but with only darkness inside. As I crept closer, something was flung out the doorway and hit the ground hard.

It was a descendant! The sound of a woman screaming was heard again, heard more clearly than the last. That’s when I saw Gage and Oneida outside their doorway.

“It’s the shop lady!” Oneida cried.

I went up to them. “What’s going on?! There was a descendant flung out of there, and the screams of this woman-”

I was cut off by the front entrance of the shop being blown apart, pushing the woman to the ground. An energy blast shattered the wall completely. It was the neku. The woman of the shop scrambled away, backing away from her entrance and staring wide-eyed at a Royal Soldier that approached her calmly and coolly.

“Why are you doing this?!” The woman yelled in panic. She looked behind her to find the injured descendant and ran for them.

“I’ve told you,” the neku said, “and I will only ask once more: where’s the golden-eyed descendant? You all are harboring him, don't try to deceive us.”

My heart stopped. Gage and Oneida were staring at me. This was it, Diego and I were caught. The Royal soldiers were already onto us! A cold sweat ran down my temple.

“You both should get away from here,” I said, trembling as I spoke. They wouldn’t move, seeming transfixed by all this. “Please! I don’t want you both to get hurt. If they find out you’re protecting us...”

Diego and Rosco came out the door. “What’s going on?” Rosco exclaimed.

“They’re...the Royal Soldiers are here, and they’re trying to find me. Please, you three should leave.”

Rosco watched the neku terrorizing the two descendants. Oneida was practically in tears.

She grabbed at Gage. “We have to help her, they’re hurting her!” She seemed unconcerned with my fugitive status, didn’t appear to have an urge to expose me and save the woman.

But Gage pulled her off. “No, Oneida,” he said.

“Daddy-”

“No! I-I’m not going to let you die.” It looked painful for Gage to sit and watch, his fists flexing like he wanted to tear them limb from limb. Other descendants began piling out on the street, seeing what was going on.

“Let the woman be!” they screamed.

“She’s done nothing to you!”

“Leave them alone!” The crowd’s anger swelled. Before I knew it, Rosco marched away from us toward the Royal soldiers.

“Pa,” Gage called to him, trailing him, “what are you doing? Don’t do this!” Rosco didn’t answer to his son and kept on. “Please, I can’t lose you too!”

And Rosco paused in his tracks, turning back to Gaga. Gage was holding back tears, appearing frightened. He was the boy Rosco described, still traumatized by the loss of his aunt Jolette and terrified of losing someone else he loved.

Rosco looked torn. “I’m sorry, Gage,” he said, still walking on.

“Pa, no!” Diego grabbed Gage’s shoulder then.

“It’s okay,” Diego said, “I won’t let him get hurt.”

“Right behind you,” I said, shaking, but unwilling to sit still. I knew I was scared, but no more scared than I was to see another assault, another death, another act of terror. These people didn’t deserve to pay for my actions, I was willing to do anything to fight back.

The neku would see Rosco, Diego, and I approach them. They ignored us, before one noticed me more closely.

“Look,” she said. “We’ve found him, the golden-eyed descendant, the Wolf, and an old-timer.” The three of us stood before them, bracing ourselves. Rosco’s eyes were directed at the shop owners.

“Leave these two be,” Rosco said. “Looking for blood, you’ve got it.” Rosco pulled his spear out from behind him, held it in his two hands and made a battle stance.

“You’re foolish to intervene, old man,” the male said, progressing towards us. “Our target is the golden-eyed descendant. There’s a great bounty on him for his capture.”

“A large bounty, huh,” Rosco said. “Let’s make you work for it then.”

The female neku aimed her scepter at Rosco and it began to glow a phosphorus blue. Rosco’s eyes widened. A beam would shoot out and I rushed over to push Rosco aside, landing us on the ground. Diego used the distraction to rush to the side. The male descendant attempted to follow his movements, but Diego was quick enough to grab his daggers out, jump on top of the descendant, and stab him in the shoulders through the armor. The neku screamed in agony, a dark fluid began coming out from the pierced hole.

“Diego’s daggers have been sharpened immensely,’ Rosco said as we both lifted ourselves from the ground. “Along with skill, he should be able to hold his own with them now.”

The female descendant eyed us and was ready to shoot another blast. We both split ways, and the blast struck the ground between us, forming a crater. He charged with his spear at the female descendant, and their weapons collided. I hurried over to the shop owners, seeing the descendant who was injured.

“Please help him,” the owner of the shop begged. “He is my husband! -Wait, it is you!” She looked into my eyes with shock. She became reserved, almost pulling back.

“It’s okay miss,” I said, “I mean no harm. I can heal him, if you let me.”

While hesitant, she relented. I was ready to press my palms onto the man when I sensed myself hesitate. I had forgotten what happened when I used my powers during Diego’s training, and I prayed to Ida I could bring this man back to health without giving Rosco or Diego more trouble. I cautiously placed my hands on the man’s chest. My palms glowed. All of a sudden, the breath in my lungs escaped me again and I had to pull away. What was happening to me?

“What happened? What’s wrong!?” The woman panicked. I was fearful. So much was occurring and I was afraid this man and woman might die if I didn’t intervene.

“You two, stay right there!” I looked up wearingly to find the female descendant holding her scepter towards us. I scanned the scene for Rosco who attempted to charge the descendant.

“Get out the way,” he screamed. But the scepter was illuminating before us.

Diego pulled his dagger from the back of the male descendant, likely having finished him off. He saw me and the female descendant, and came rushing over.

“BARKEN!!!!!”

The words Rosco spoke began rushing to my head. Fight for them! Fight for descendants! I couldn’t die like this. I didn’t want to die! I pressed my palms into the man again, as if that was the only option I had at that very moment.

And the beam shot out towards us. There were screams all around. The lady of the shop shrieked, and my marigold glow expanded around us.

The beam struck the sphere that protected us and seemed to freeze in midair. My glow brightened the space around us. Everyone’s eyes reflected off the marigold glow, even the neku’s. She stared, dumbfounded by it all. I looked at the man beneath my palms and saw his whole figure brighten. He let in a loud gasp of air. The lady of the shop’s mouth hung open, finally turning into a smile. She had forgotten of the beam that stood in the periphery of my protective sphere.

The blue beam seemed stationary, but began transforming from blue to marigold. The neku didn’t seem to understand what was going on. And when I took my hands off the man’s chest, the beam shot out, even faster than when it was conjured, and struck the female neku. She barely had time to register it, her face blank as she fell back into the dirt, a gaping hole in her torso.

My marigold sphere faded. My hands wouldn’t stop tingling. I was then embraced suddenly.

“Thank you, sir, thank you,” the shop owner exclaimed. “You saved him; you saved us!”

An alarm could be heard throughout, taking everyone off guard. Rosco, Diego, Oneida, and Gage rushed over.

“We have to go, Barken,” Diego said, pulling me up. “I don’t know who exposed us, but we best not stick around.”

“Remember what I told you,” Rosco said, “you both can travel west. You might find safety there, but you must go NOW!”

Diego and I nodded. Oneida hugged us tightly, not wanting to let us go. Gage patted Diego’s back before hugging us both as well. In this short time, they could’ve been brothers. Rosco, like a father, gave me a strong hug.

“Don’t get yourselves killed,” said Gage.

Diego hoisted me on his back and we took off, faster than anything or anyone I’ve seen. All he asked was that I hold on tight, so I did. The neku that managed to try and stop us on the edge of town were out of their league. Diego took a dagger to one neku’s shin, another’s knee caps. One death tonight may have been enough for him, as long as he slowed them down.

We looked back at Tygrus, hearing the sirens going off across the town. We prayed for Rosco, Gage, and Oneida’s safety, and thanked them for all they’ve given us in our journey, and I’d hope their prayers would be all we need.

Thank you for reading! Feedback appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@centexhairysub: I didn't end up going into detail about how they were discovered in this chapter. However, because they were outdoors to train and move around the city, we can assume the Royal Soldiers identified them somehow and went to investigate, leading to the final showdown.

Link to comment

"(The male descendant attempted to follow his movements, but Diego was quick enough to grab his daggers out, jump on top of the descendant, and stab him in the shoulders through the armor. The neku screamed in agony.)"                                                                              Who is the descendant and who is neku I'm confused. Is this a typo because you mixed the two up several times in almost every chapter?  In some cases where you think it's a neku it's really a descendant . And which  is the princess. Can you do a brief summary of characters and there species/powers.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..