Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 289 Words
  • 664 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry

Out of Focus - 1. Chapter 1

Every morning I'm confused when I look into the mirror
Because the face staring back isn't what I expect to see
No! I can't be that person, it just doesn't seem possible
He looks more like my grandfather, but that's not how I feel

Where has the time gone? Have I pulled a Rip Van Winkle?
I remember getting slightly older, but when did this happen?
Why do I continue to think of myself as the man of my youth?
He was vibrant and carefree, always on the go without slowing

Just as I've reached the point where I think I will reap my reward
I've discovered everything aches and nothing works as it should
The dreams I had for my future now seem like childish fantasies,
Because my ability to fulfill them has long since passed me by

Why does God or Nature play such a cruel joke on mankind
And snatch our lives away before we are ready for it to happen?
Why do our bodies start failing and no longer function properly
When we should be reaping the benefits from all our hard work?

What happened to the days of Adam, Noah and Methuselah,
When you could expect a person would live to be 900-years-old?
Maybe by then I'd have time to prepare myself for this to happen
But now it seems this moment has come upon me much to soon

Why doesn't the perception and reality of who we are match?
Why does my mind insist that I can't be the person in the mirror?
Life has a way of blurring what we perceive and what is real
It happens to all of us, but some deal with it better - will you?

Copyright © 2015 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I totally got this... really got this. As we grow up things are added to us. When did the subtraction begin, and why. Why in the big scheme of things, does this have to be the way it is? Thanks for reading my thoughts... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/11/2015 07:07 AM, Headstall said:

I totally got this... really got this. As we grow up things are added to us. When did the subtraction begin, and why. Why in the big scheme of things, does this have to be the way it is? Thanks for reading my thoughts... cheers... Gary...

Gary, I think a lot of GA members are going through something similar, because I think we are all in shock as we age. Thanks for the feedback.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I see this and think of both myself and my father. New gray hairs, wrinkles, aches and pains. When did the things you did for fun become something of a challenge? When did you look in the mirror and the face you see get so old? Life happens and we all wear it daily. Interesting piece Bill.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/11/2015 01:19 PM, comicfan said:

I see this and think of both myself and my father. New gray hairs, wrinkles, aches and pains. When did the things you did for fun become something of a challenge? When did you look in the mirror and the face you see get so old? Life happens and we all wear it daily. Interesting piece Bill.

Thanks again, Wayne. A word of advice to the younger members of GA. Getting old is handled best by the brave, but if you can't be brave, at least be graceful about entering the fall and winter of your lives.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/12/2015 08:47 PM, Dolores Esteban said:

I like this piece a lot. Very true.

Thanks, Dolores. Growing old can be scary and hard to accept. Thanks for the feedback.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I cannot help but agree with the sentiment in this poem. I feel this every day.

Thanks, Parker.  I'm glad you were able to identify with this.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, AlexLittel said:

Getting old is not for the faint of heart.  Totally sucks.  And not in a good way.

How true that is.  I know, because I've been dealing with that problem for a number of years now, and it isn't getting any easier. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..