Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,160 Words
  • 2,739 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 6 - 31. Chapter 31 - Many Irons In The Fire

A little later, Sammy came into my office, to ask me if I’d look something over for him. It was an essay he had written, to enter a statewide history competition. The essay’s topic was, ‘Why Should I Learn History?’ The winners would get to go to a weeklong camp, where they would learn about history and various techniques scholars use to learn about the past. The best part about it, at least as far as Sammy was concerned, was he’d get out of his regular class schedule for a week, to attend the camp. Sammy was very bright, but was easily bored sitting in a classroom, listening to teacher lecture.

Seeing how important this seemed to him, I agreed. Eagerly, I began to read his essay.

Learning history is important to us for many reasons. One is, so we can learn how people lived in the past. We can see how hard their lives were, what types of tools and weapons they used, and what it was like to live at that time. Archeologists have uncovered much of the information about the earliest periods of history, but much of the later history has been preserved through drawings, pictures, film or in written form. It is by studying these items that we can see how much easier and better our lives are today.

The most important reason for learning history is so we can learn from it. George Santayana has been credited with saying “those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it,” but why would anyone want to repeat some of the most horrific things that have happened throughout the years? This is why we must learn from history, so the worst mistakes do not happen again.

For example, during World War II, when rumors started about the Germans killing the Jews, the world was slow to respond and millions of people died in concentration camps. After witnessing the aftermath of what took place in those killing factories when the allies liberated them, the world realized too late what their procrastination had allowed to happen. More recently, when the world heard reports that Kurds were being killed by Iraqis, that Hutus were being massacred by the Tutsi or that the Serbs were carrying out a policy of ethnic cleansing, the world was quicker to respond, possibly preventing an even worse genocide than what had already happened.

Another example of this would also be from World War II, when Germany was allowed to annex several territories they claimed rightfully belonged to them. Again the world was slow to condemn this action, thus whetting Germany’s appetite for greater conquests. During recent history, when Saddam Hussein tried to annex Kuwait and make it part of Iraq, the world quickly opposed him and soon liberated Kuwait. This sent the message that this type of aggression would not be allowed. Without this intervention, Iraq might possibly have moved to take over other areas in the region, thus creating political and economic turmoil in the region.

In conclusion, if the world learns from past mistakes, maybe we will be able to avoid similar, or even worse, mistakes in the future.

As I finished reading it, he looked at me. “Do you think it’s okay?” he wondered.

“Oh, it’s fine, Sammy,” I told him, sincerely impressed by his effort. “In fact, it’s better than fine. That’s very well written.”

“Do you think I should change anything?” he asked.

“No, I don’t. I’d leave it just as it is,” I recommended. “Did you do this all by yourself?”

“Yes. Well, I did ask my history teacher some questions, so I understood things a little better,” he admitted, “but I did write it by myself.”

“Well, I’m very impressed,” I informed him.

“Do you think I did as good on this, as Trey did on his play?” he wanted to know. Now, I started to realize what had inspired him. As I’d hoped, Trey’s example had caused him to want to do his very best too.

“Yes, I think you did your best, just like Trey did with his script,” I assured him. “I’m very proud of both of you.” I gave Sammy a quick hug after saying this, and when I released him, he had a huge grin on his face. He thanked me for reading it and giving him my opinion, and then he left to show some of his brothers what he had done.

It was also getting close to the time when we’d be going to Boston, to attend the banquet where Trey would receive his next plaque. Once again, we were allowed three tickets, and once again Trey wanted Dion to be there with him. Trey then asked me if I wanted to go, or if I thought he should ask Jake, but this time I told him that was entirely up to him.

“Will you be mad if I ask Uncle Jake to go with me?” he asked, and I could see the concern on his face.

“No, not at all.” I responded, trying to relieve his doubts.

“You know I want you to go with me,” he said, trying to reassure me, “but I don’t want to make Uncle Jake feel bad, by leaving him out again.”

“I understand,” I agreed. “You do what you think is best and I will support whatever you decide. Is that all right with you?”

Trey looked relieved. “Yes, and thank you for being so understanding.”

That night he approached Jake and asked him to go with him to Boston, but then he came back to me. “Uncle Jake told me I should be asking you, not him,” he explained. “He said he appreciated the offer, but insists you should be the one to go.”

“Well, let me talk to him, to see if we can resolve this,” I suggested. He agreed, so I went to speak with Jake, on his behalf. Jake was puttering around in the yard at the time, so I walked up behind him and spoke.

“You know, Trey really would like for you to go with him this time,” I informed him.

“You should be the one going, not me,” Jake said, but without sounding bitter about it. “He’s just asking me because he feels guilty for leaving me behind the last time.” Again, he didn’t look or sound upset, but was merely stating facts.

“That may have been part of his thought process,” I admitted, “but he really wanted to include you the first time too, if we’d had another ticket.”

“Oh, I understand and feel honored that he even thought about asking me to go,” Jake confirmed, “but you are the one who deserves to be there with him. Damn it, none of these boys would be flourishing like this, if you hadn’t started the ball rolling. No, if anyone deserves to be there with him, it’s you.”

I wasn’t sure how to respond to this at first, but I knew Jake was serious, and not spiteful. “He’s asking you, because he respects you too, and he appreciates what you’ve done for all of us as well,” I confessed.

“I know that, Josh, and I really do appreciate his offer,” Jake confirmed, “but the fact is, you deserve to go more than anyone else. I’m fine, but I want you and Dion to go with him and have a good time.”

I thanked Jake again, gave him a big hug and then returned to explain the situation to Trey. Dion was with him when I did this and they listened to what I had to say. Once I’d finished, the two of them started talking about something, so I left them alone. A short time later Jake came up to me.

“What did you say to Trey?” he asked.

“I just told him what you said,” I explained. “I told him you appreciated his offer, but thought the three of us should go. Why?”

“Because Dion just came up to me and said he’d stay home, so you and I could go with Trey.”

“Then that was their idea,” I conjectured, “and I didn’t know anything about it. So what did you tell him?”

“I thanked him, but insisted I still thought the three of you should go,” Jake told me.

“And how did he respond to that?” I wondered.

“He just said he wasn’t going, whether I did or not,” Jake explained, with a sour glare. “I didn’t want this to happen, so what do I do now? I never wanted either of you to stay behind.” He looked upset and I knew he felt his was messing up Trey’s next day in the spotlight.

“Why don’t the four of us sit down and discuss this,” I recommended. “I’m sure we can work it out that way, if we all keep an open mind.” He agreed, so I called the boys to sit down with us, so we could finally come to an agreement.

“Look,” I began, “I think we’re all concerned that we’re going to hurt someone’s feelings if they don’t go on this trip. That’s why we need to be open and honest with each other, so we can work this out.”

“Josh, let me say something,” Jake interrupted. “I think I’m the reason everyone is so concerned, but you needn’t be. I appreciate the fact that you’re all trying to include me in this, but I feel the three of you should go. I’ll take care of things here, because I want you guys to have a good time. I’ll think of you while you’re gone and will congratulate Trey when you get back, but you don’t need to include me over your father and your lover. I won’t be upset, I promise.”

“But you’re important too, Uncle Jake,” Trey told him, “and I want you there too.”

“Like I said, I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but I want the three of you to go.” Trey eyed him suspiciously, to see if he could tell anything from his expression or demeanor. After judging him to be truthful, he responded.

“Okay, but then we’ll do something special some other time,” he offered. “Will that be all right with you?”

“Yes,” Jake said with a smile, “that will be fine and sounds wonderful.”

Now that it was settled, I could go ahead with the planning. I got on the Internet and booked reservations at a hotel for Friday and Saturday night, and then I arranged for our flight. It was too far to drive and it would take too long, so I opted for us to catch a flight after school on Friday, spend the night and then do some sightseeing on Saturday, during the day. We’d attend the banquet Saturday evening, stay there another night and then catch a flight back on Sunday. Simple. Right? I certainly hope it works out that way.

As Friday approached, I suffered from a little guilt about leaving Cody, but knowing Jake would be here for him made me feel a little better about going. I tried to spend some extra time with Cody before I left and repeatedly asked how he was feeling. Above all else, I wanted him to know how deeply I cared and how much I loved him. Somehow, Cody understood what I was feeling and going through at the time and finally spoke his mind.

“I’ll be okay while you’re gone, Dad, so you don’t have to worry about me,” he explained. “I feel pretty good and you’re only going to be gone a couple of days, so I’ll be all right until you get back.”

“How did you know what I was thinking?” I asked, while trying to act shocked, to lighten the moment.

“It wasn’t hard to figure out, seeing how many times you’ve asked me how I was feeling,” he confided. “And I’ve also noticed how you’ve been watching me, even though you didn’t think I saw what you were doing.”

“Hmmmm. I guess I’ll have to improve my spying techniques before I get back,” I quipped, and then immediately began to tickle him. I made certain to do this gently, but I wasn’t about to let him off the hook because of his condition. I knew he was about to make a wisecrack, so I had to respond first. After my attack, he just burst out laughing, instead of saying what he’d planned.

“Hey, no fair,” he finally screamed out. “Just because I outsmarted you, it doesn’t mean you have to torture me.”

“Oh, yes, it does,” I replied, as my fingers began to wiggle into his skin some more. After listening to him giggle and watching him squirm beneath my touch, I finally eased up and released him. He jumped away from me at that point and then stopped, so he could face me.

“Now you have to go,” he said with a big grin, “so my ribs can heal.” At that point he lifted his shirt, as if he expected to find some signs of my manhandling him. Not to let him get away with his one-up-manship, I made a quick start, like I was going to chase him, and he sped from the room. He turned as he went through the doorway and discovered I wasn’t following him, so he decided to wait there and taunt me some more.

“What’s the matter, old man? Can’t you catch me?” he jeered.

“Oh, I just decided to give you a break,” I shot back, “because I didn’t want to tire you out.” After I said this, I made a face at him, to add impact. I knew before I said it that Cody wouldn’t take it lying down, and almost immediately he had a comeback for me.

“Oh, sure, you’re worried about me. No way!” he challenged. “You’re just too old and slow to catch me, but you don’t want to admit it.”

Now, he lifted his arms in the air, in a half-surrender position, and then wiggled his hips and shoulders in opposite directions, in an effort not only to tease me further, but also to entice me to come after him. Never being one to pass up an opportunity, I bolted from my chair and lunged toward him, which caught him completely off-guard. He was in mid-shake when I made my move, so his body was swaying in that awkward-looking, taunting movement. He barely had time to stop and turn, before I wrapped my arms around him and dragged him back into the room we had just come from.

“So, I’m too old and slow to catch you, am I?” I teased.

“No fair. I wasn’t ready,” he whined.

“Too bad, you lose,” I taunted, before I began to tickle him again. He was squirming spasmodically beneath my touch, but I wasn’t sure if I should show him any mercy this time. I relented only after I did this for a few seconds and concluded I didn’t want him to overexert himself. Finally, he began to settle down, but he still had enough strength left to gasp something out.

“Okay, okay. You win this time,” he conceded, “but you’re still old and slow.” He was smirking as he said this, because he wasn’t one to give in easily. After he saw my overly dramatic reaction, he was grinning from ear to ear.

“Yeah, we’ll see,” I warned him. “When you are feeling better, I’ll give you a rematch, but don’t expect to win then either. You may think I’m old and slow, but the old fox wins with slyness and cunning, not with speed and quickness.”

“You mean by cheating, like you did this time,” he stated, offering his point of view. “Coming after me when I wasn’t ready.”

“No, with cunning. I just watched for my opening, which you gave me,” I corrected him. “If you had been a chicken and I had been a fox, I’d be curling up right now, burping and pulling feathers out of my teeth.” I released a big guffaw after saying this, just to add to the impact of my point.

Cody looked defiant and I knew he still wasn’t ready to give in. “Well, next time I’ll be ready for your sneaky little tricks and you won’t be able to do that to me again,” he challenged. “Next time I’ll just run away and you won’t be able to catch me.”

“We’ll see, my petite doubting Thomas,” I quipped, adding a biblical reference that I hoped he knew the meaning of. Obviously he did, because he was ready with another comeback.

“I won’t put my fingers into your wounds, but I will be nice enough to bring you some oxygen or call 911 to get you help,” he zinged back, between giggles.

“Oh, so now you’re telling me that I’ll need medical assistance next time?” I questioned, playing along with his little game.

“Yep!” he beamed. “You’ll get so worn out trying to chase me that it will take an ambulance crew and the doctors at the emergency room of the hospital to keep your motor running.” This time he howled with laughter, like that was the best joke he’d ever heard.

“We’ll see,” I warned him, “but I’ll let you get better first, because I don’t want you to have any excuses as to why I beat you again.” This time I stuck my tongue out at him, to get his goat.

“Fat chance, old man,” he shot back. “The only thing you’ll see is my butt, as it speeds away from you.” Having said that, he turned his back toward me and wiggled his cute little rear end, adding emphasis to his previous comment, but that only encouraged me into action. I leaped from my chair again, once more catching him by surprise, but this time I just whacked his backside, as he shook it at me. I wasn’t very gentle in doing so either, which elicited another response.

Cody jumped into the air after I slapped his ass. He was once again surprised by how quickly I got to him, without giving him time to get away. “Ouch,” he yelled out, “that hurt.”

“Well, it wasn’t meant to tickle, but the sly old fox zapped you again. Didn’t he?” I howled with laughter this time and he began to pout.

“You’re just a big old cheater,” he said, feigning hurt and disgust, “but I’m learning how you operate.”

“Well, you’re obviously not learning fast enough,” I teased back. “At this rate, you’ll be ninety and I’ll be dead, before you figure it all out.”

After saying this, I grabbed and hugged him, before giving him a kiss on the forehead. After holding him for a few more minutes, I asked him if he wanted to help me pack for the trip. He said he did, so I led him toward my room.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A taken as I was with Ricky in the first chapter, I find myself absolutely in love with Cody!!! He is precocious without being annoying. He smiles ateverything and has an upbeat attitude. What a wonderful little guy!!! I certainly hope he continues to progress and get well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/28/2012 12:43 PM, Gene63 said:
A taken as I was with Ricky in the first chapter, I find myself absolutely in love with Cody!!! He is precocious without being annoying. He smiles ateverything and has an upbeat attitude. What a wonderful little guy!!! I certainly hope he continues to progress and get well.
He is an awesome little guy and thanks for the feedback.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..