Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,886 Words
  • 2,561 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 7 - 43. Chapter 43 - Whats Lost Is Found

“Vinnie! Where the hell are you and where have you been?” I screamed into the phone, which brought Kevin running toward me.

“Right now I’m in Altoona,” he told me, before Kevin cut him off.

“Vinnie, I’m so sorry,” Kevin yelled over my shoulder and into the receiver. “I love you and I was a fool. Please forgive me and come home.” He was crying again by this point.

“Pop, I’m not sure I’m ready to talk to Kevin yet,” Vinnie advised me, “but I just saw a missing poster with my picture on it, so I realized I’d better call home.”

“I’m glad you did, because we’ve been frantic for two weeks,” I told him. “Can we come pick you up?”

“Yes, I think you’d better,” he agreed. “I’ll have the guy I’m with leave me here and I’ll wait for you. I’m at a rest area on I-99, just north of Altoona.”

“Okay, wait there and I’ll get to you as quickly as I can. You have a lot of ‘splaining to do, Lucy,” I added, but Vinnie didn’t respond right away. I wasn’t sure if he got the joke, but finally he spoke.

“Are you trying to pretend to be the husband on ‘I Love Lucy’?” he asked.

“That was my intent,” I replied, “but obviously I didn’t do a very good job.”

“Oh, you did,” he offered, apologetically, “but I had to try to think back to seeing that on Nickelodeon.

“Thank you, for being so kind, but you’ve still got some ‘splaining to do, Lucy,” I repeated.

“I know,” he replied, sounding very timid, like a small child who knew he was going to get punished for his transgressions.

“You know Kevin will want to come with me,” I warned. I realized Kevin probably wouldn’t let me out of his sight or be denied a chance to join me, now that he knew Vinnie was all right.

“I know, but I’m not sure I can deal with him just yet,” he confessed. “I still love Kevin, but I can’t get over the hurt and anger because of what he did. I’m also kind of embarrassed, because of what happened afterward.” I assumed he meant disappearing like he did, but I could tell he was trying to be honest with me.

“Well, Kevin feels much the same way,” I added, “so maybe you two could work things out, if I bring him with me.” He didn’t say anything for quite a few uncomfortable moments, but then he finally responded.

“Okay, if he wants to come and explain why he did what he did, then I’ll try to meet him halfway,” Vinnie agreed.

“That’s good and I’ll pass the message along,” I told him. “It will probably take us a couple of hours before we get to you, so see if there’s someone on duty there and let me know.”

“You want me to do that right now?” he wondered, after a slight pause.

“Yes, just leave the phone hanging and then come back and tell me,” I advised him.

“Okay, hang on,” he agreed, before he ran off. A short time later he came back and gave me his answer.

“Yes, this is a monitored rest area and there’s a person on duty,” he explained.

“Good!” I exclaimed. “I want you to stay with him and wait for us. Don’t go anywhere until I get there. Is that clear?”

“Okay, I promise,” he agreed. “Thanks, Pop, and I am sorry for making you worry.”

I hung up the phone and turned toward Kevin, whom I had been trying to hush during the entire conversation. At times, he made it nearly impossible for me to hear what Vinnie was saying.

“Why didn’t you let me speak to him?” Kevin challenged.

“Because Vinnie wasn’t ready for that yet,” I informed him, “but he did agree to let me bring you, so you can work things out in person.” Kevin began to calm down after hearing this.

“Get your coat, but go the toilet first. Once you’ve finished, grab some drinks and throw them in the small cooler, so we can take them with us,” I added. “Then we’ll be on our way. I just want to call Uncle Steve and let him know we’ve heard from Vinnie and then I’ll tell Jake what’s going on. We can talk more about this in the van.”

“K,” Kevin responded, simply. I could tell he probably still had a thousand questions he wanted to ask, but apparently he was willing to wait and do this on the ride to pick up Vinnie.

I called Steve and informed him that I’d just heard from Vinnie and was going to get him. Steve was as relieved as I was and asked me to have Vinnie call him as soon as we returned. I was sure he wanted to discuss the inappropriateness of his actions with him as well, so I promised I would.

After I filled Jake in, Kevin and I got in the van and were on our way. Kevin began to interrogate me, shortly after we got going. “What did Vinnie have to say? Where has he been and who was he with?”

“Please, slow down,” I responded, “He didn’t tell me much, but he did say he was all right and would wait for us at the rest stop. He said he’d give us the rest of the details later.”

I could tell Kevin wasn’t satisfied with what I said, but I think he also knew that was all the information I had. Therefore, he just settled into his seat for the long ride. I glanced at him as I drove and noticed his legs were bouncing up and down, as if he were suffering from a bad nervous condition. He was also fidgeting in his seat, which was most likely his response to being uptight about how he was going to apologize to Vinnie for what he’d done. I decided it was best not to say anything to him at this point, so I let him continue to try to work things out in his mind.

Even though it was a cold winter’s day, the road was clear, but the surrounding countryside was still covered with snow from previous storms. The sun was shining brightly and I would have considered it a perfect day for a ride, if we didn’t have other things on our minds. We weren’t able to focus on the lovely weather, because we were thinking about what we were going to do after we got to where Vinnie was waiting for us.

After about an hour of traveling, I asked Kevin to open a drink for me, because my throat was beginning to feel quite dry. I conjectured this was caused by a combination of nerves and being in the dry heat of both the house and then the car, but I desperately needed to moisten my lips, mouth and esophagus. Kevin handed me my drink and then opened one for himself, but we continued to sit in silence, as we got closer to the place where we’d be reunited with Vinnie.

I began watching Kevin more closely now, well at least as closely as I could while driving. As I did, I realized I’d never seen him this nervous or worried before, not even when he was going through his medical problems.

“Okay, what’s up?” I asked. The sound of my voice caused him to look up and the sad expression I saw plastered across his face nearly broke my heart.

“I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to get Vinnie to listen and forgive me for what I did,” he told me. “I’m really worried he’s not going to want to have anything to do with me, including hearing what I have to say.”

“I know he’s probably disappointed and possibly even angry with you,” I agreed, “but I think he still loves you and will most likely forgive you, over time. It may not be easy, but I think you can work things out.”

“Did he tell you that?” Kevin asked, hopefully.

“No, Kevin,” I replied. “As I told you, we didn’t have time to discuss much, but I know Vinnie and I know you. That’s why I’m sure you can smooth this over in time.”

I hoped that would hold him until he and Vinnie could get together and begin to iron out their problems. However, I noticed his legs where still bouncing up and down, like they were before. I took this to mean my words had brought him little comfort.

As we finally approached the rest area, Kevin began to lean forward in his seat, as if this would help him see Vinnie sooner. Driving along the long service road, Kevin’s head was snapping from side to side, as he sought some sort of sign of his boyfriend. When I pulled into a parking space and turned off the engine, Kevin immediately opened his door and was ready to bolt from the van.

“Hold on there sport,” I advised him. My comment caused him to stop, with the door partially opened.

“I want to go find Vinnie and speak with him first,” I advised him. “I think it’s best if I speak with him alone, so I can find out where he’s been and why he didn’t call us, before you and he begin to work out your problems. That’s why I need you to wait here until I get back.”

“But, Daaaaad…” Kevin wailed, upset. However, the high-pitched voice he used made it sound as if it were a scream. It almost sounded as if someone had just stabbed him.

“No, it has to be this way, Kevin,” I replied, unrelenting. “I have things I need to handle with him first, before he gets distracted with your concerns. I know this doesn’t make you happy, but we have to do this one step at a time.”

“But I’ve waited so long to tell him I still love him,” Kevin whined again.

“He knows that,” I reminded him. “He heard you shout it out when he called home earlier today, but I’ll make sure I let him know you didn’t want to wait.”

“Well, I don’t,” Kevin confirmed.

“I understand, but there are more important issues to be dealt with,” I offered. “The fact that Vinnie just disappeared was totally uncharacteristic of him and could have had disastrous results, so I need to talk to him about this. I must be certain it won’t happen again.”

Kevin let out a very audible, and defeated, sigh, before he folded his arms across his chest and slumped down in his seat, in a posture of surrender. I took it to mean he wasn’t going to continue to argue with me, so I got out of the van and walked toward the main structure. As I drew closer, I wondered if Vinnie had followed my instructions and was waiting for me in an office area. Before I had time to consider it further, I saw him emerge from a small room, where he’d obviously been waiting with the person who worked there.

Vinnie didn’t say anything at first and merely walked toward me, with his head bent down. Occasionally, he would lift it slightly, so he could glance in my direction. I was sure he was doing this so he could read my expression and see if he could tell how much trouble he was in.

“I’m sure glad to see you,” I told him, to break the ice. He didn’t answer right away, but then timidly lifted his head to reply.

“I’m glad to see you too,” he mumbled, “and I’m sorry I made you worry and run all over looking for me.”

After telling me this, his chin dropped back against his chest and he looked like a puppy that knew it had done something terribly wrong. Seeing his reaction, I walked up and gave him a hug, even though it was awkward to do. I had to completely wrap my arms around both of his, while they were stiffened against his crutches, so he could support himself.

“I’m glad you’re all right,” I told him, which caused his body to relax slightly. “I still think we need to go somewhere and talk, before we go back to the van. Kevin is waiting there for you and wasn’t happy about having to stay behind, but I have things to discuss with you first, before you two delve into your situation. I think if we go to the van, he will try to dominate the conversation, so you two can make up. He is desperate to tell you how sorry he is.”

“I’m not sure I’m ready for that yet, but you’re probably right about what would happen if we went to the van,” he agreed. “I guess we can go back to the room I’ve been waiting in. The guy is very nice and he’ll probably just go out to do some things, so we can use it.”

“I hope we don’t put him out, but that would work fine,” I agreed. “Once we’re finished, you can go and see Kevin, so you two can work things out.” Vinnie nodded weakly, before he spoke.

“Give me a second and I’ll to ask the guy if we can use his office,” Vinnie stated. “I’m sure he’ll agree.”

Vinnie immediately wheeled about and went back into the room I saw him emerge from a couple of minutes earlier. He wasn’t in there long, before another man came out and approached me.

“Go ahead and use my office, if you want,” he informed me. “I have some things I need to do anyway and it will take me a while before I finish.”

I thanked him for his kindness and then he disappeared. As soon as he did, I entered the room and confronted Vinnie.

“Okay, I want to know what happened, from the very beginning,” I demanded. “And I also want to know why you didn’t contact us during this whole time.” He hung his head again, before answering me.

“Well, I guess Kevin’s told you what I saw when I opened his dorm room door,” he began. When he looked up to gauge my reaction, I nodded, so he continued.

“I was so upset I couldn’t even say anything, so I just left. As I was driving away, I saw Kevin run out after me and heard him scream for me to stop, but I couldn’t face him then. Instead, I started driving home, but I was so hurt and crying so hard that I could hardly see, so I pulled over at a rest area. I really don’t remember a lot about what happened after that, but I will tell you as much as I can recall.”

“And why don’t you remember what happened?” I asked him.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Maybe my mind is blocking some of it out or it might be that I was just so angry that I can’t remember what I did, but I do recall bits and pieces.”

“Okay, tell me what you can then,” I advised him.

“Well, after sitting in the 4Runner and crying for a long time, I finally got out and went to the men’s room. There was hardly anyone around at that time and it was dark out, so I hoped no one would see my red eyes or ask any questions. I think I washed my face and then I believe I went and sat on a toilet for a while. I think I closed the door to the stall and locked it, so no one would disturb me. It wasn’t because I had to go, but I needed time to think about what I should do next.

“When I finally went back outside,” he continued, “I couldn’t find the 4Runner and that’s when I began to feel even more stupid. I guess I left the keys in the ignition and someone stole it and all my things.”

Vinnie stopped and looked in my direction, as if he was waiting for me to begin yelling at him or tell him how dumb he was. When I didn’t react, he swallowed hard and continued his story.

“That was too much for me to have to deal with, especially after finding Kevin with that other guy,” he admitted, “so I guess I must have broken down and started crying again. I kind of remember somebody asking me what was wrong and I think I told him I caught my lover cheating on me and my car had just been stolen. That’s when he asked if he could help. He said we had to call the police and tell them someone had taken the car, but I told him I’d get in big trouble if I did that. I said it would be better if I waited to do it after I got home. I told him I thought I should tell you first, face to face.

“He didn’t agree and kept arguing with me that it needed to be done quickly, before witnesses left the area.” Vinnie added. “He said I had to report it stolen immediately or call home and tell you, so you could report it. I think I avoided having to do that by telling him you were away on a trip or something. He tried to get me to call the police again, but when I wouldn’t, he finally gave up trying to pressure me.” Vinnie paused in his story, as he tried to remember what came next. Moments later, he began again.

“I think the guy was mad because I refused to call you or the police,” Vinnie admitted, “but he still tried to help. He asked me where I was heading and I think I told him I was going home and could use a ride. He said if it was continuing on I-70 he’d give me one, so I agreed I was and thanked him.”

Vinnie paused again, and I almost used this lull to tell him how foolish he had been to accept a ride from a total stranger. However, since I didn’t want to cause him to clam up and not tell me more, I didn’t. However, I was pretty sure he had already figured it out for himself. I only had to wait a few seconds, before he renewed his tale.

“I got in his car,” Vinnie continued, “and he started driving. He asked where I wanted him to take me, but I don’t remember what I told him. He informed me later that I told him I’d just let him know when we got there. I guess I must have forgotten, because I never did. I was thinking so much about Kevin and what had happened that I didn’t even realize it when we passed the exit I should have taken to get back.” Vinnie paused again, to see how I was going to react to this new revelation.

“I’m sorry, Pop, but I didn’t even think anything about it until he got off at another exit, to get something to eat,” he confessed “It was a good thing I had kept my money on me and hadn’t left it in the 4Runner too.” I nodded, to let him know I agreed, but I didn’t want to stop him from continuing his story.

“After I realized we’d already gone by the exit I needed to take to get home, I didn’t know what I should do,” Vinnie advised me. “I didn’t say anything to the guy who was giving me the ride, because I didn’t need for him to think I was a complete idiot. I was already thinking that about myself.” This time Vinnie didn’t look at me, because I’m sure he felt I was silently agreeing with him. After a slight pause, he started again.

“While we were in the restaurant, he asked me again where I wanted him to drop me off,” Vinnie stated. “He told me later I said something like, ‘it doesn’t matter – I’ve lost my lover, so I’ve no place to go.’ I guess that’s when he decided to just take me home with him, until I figured out what I was going to do.”

Vinnie stopped again, but this time he lifted his head and looked into my eyes. Once again, I felt he was trying to gauge my reaction and see how upset I was with him. His eyes were moist and I know it pained him to tell me all this information, but I wasn’t about to let him off the hook. Even though it was difficult for him to admit these things, he had to learn his lesson. Besides, I guess I was also paying him back for causing us more than two weeks of extreme worry.

“So what happened next?” I prodded.

“The guy asked me lots of questions,” Vinnie went on. “He wanted to know if I was still in school, where I lived, what I was going to do now and things like that, but I don’t think I told him very much. Even though he didn’t really know a great deal about me, he did say he’d let me stay with him for a few days, until I decided what I wanted to do next. I guess I must have told him I was eighteen, so he wasn’t worried about getting into legal problems by letting me crash there.” Vinnie paused again, because he knew he had not only taken a ride from a stranger, but had also told him some of his personal information.

“Anyway,” Vinnie continued, interrupting my thoughts, “I don’t remember much after that, except he kept trying to get me to call the police to report the 4Runner being stolen or call home and let you guys know where I was. I faked calling you one day, so he’d leave me alone. I guess he must have believed I contacted you, because he quit bugging me about that, but he didn’t stop telling me I had to get over whatever it was that was troubling me and go back to my family.”

“Vinnie, didn’t you think we’d be worried to death and wonder where you were?” I asked. “Didn’t you think we’d be frantically looking for you and thinking something awful might have happened?” Even though I didn’t want to unload on him, I found I couldn’t hold my tongue any longer. Vinnie looked at me sheepishly, since he realized how upset I was, before he began to answer.

“I really didn’t,” he admitted. “I was only thinking about Kevin – what he did and what I was going to do next. That’s all I could think about.” His head dropped down after he said this, until he was looking at the ground.

At that point, I decided to soften my approach. I was worried Vinnie might shut down completely and definitely didn’t want that to happen. There was a great deal more I needed to learn about his time away from home, before I allowed Kevin and him an opportunity to make up.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..