Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,903 Words
  • 3,317 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 7 - 8. Chapter 8 - From Tourists To Campers

The next morning we got up early, had a large breakfast and then got ready for another long ride, but this time to Minneapolis. I had told the boys we were going to see a ballgame at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, between the Minnesota Twins and the Oakland Athletics. It was a night game, so we had plenty of time, but I suggested we’d stop for a late lunch and eat heartily, and then just have some hot dogs, pizza and other things at the park later. They seemed to like the idea, which made the long ride seem to go a little easier.

We checked into our hotel before going to the game, to make sure we got settled in first. The boys knew we’d be staying here two nights and this would also give them a chance to freshen up before we went out again. We still managed to get to the park early, so we could walk around and check it out before the game started. I also understood the boys wanted to watch batting practice too, which would give them an opportunity to collect autographs from players on both teams, so I let them roam about in small groups to see what they could come up with.

Everyone returned to his seat before the National Anthem was played and then settled in to watch the game. It didn’t take long for the vendors to acknowledge us, once word got out about how many hot dogs, sodas, popcorn and other items we were purchasing at one time. Each boy consumed a large variety of these treats while enjoying the action and no one was hungry by the time we reached the middle innings. The game wasn’t very close and the biggest redeeming value was that it was a high scoring affair. There was plenty of action and some tremendous offensive output, which captured everyone’s interest.

When the game was over, we went back to our rooms, but not before I informed the boys we’d be spending the next day at the Mall of America, where we’d do a little back-to-school shopping. Most of the boys seemed to really like the idea, so it wasn’t hard to get them to go to bed quickly. They were also unusually easy to get up the following morning, since they were quite excited about seeing the mall and doing some shopping. Imagine that – gay boys excited about shopping.

The Mall of America is huge! It was built on the 78-acre site of the old Metropolitan Stadium, which used to be home to both the Twins and the Vikings. It opened in August of 1992 and has over 500 stores, which tempted the boys to go off on their own. I tried to keep everyone together, as much as possible, so I let them suggest which stores we’d check out, in order to minimize the chance they’d wander away.

As we made our rounds, we’d go in and see what the store had to offer and then make our purchases. Before we were even halfway through the mall, we were already becoming loaded down with packages, but the boys weren’t complaining about having to carry them, so we kept going. However, when we stopped for lunch at the food court, we ran into our driver and talked him into letting us take our bags out and locking them in the bus with our other belongings.

After securing everything on the bus, we went back inside and got something to eat. Once we were full, we set about finishing up our shopping. I was pretty much dragging by the time we were done, so we made our way back to the hotel and rested for a bit, before we cleaned up and went out for dinner.

It was a nice meal, but it was also the last one we would share with Mark and Frankie for a couple of weeks. Mark had to go home and return to work, and Frankie decided to go back to continue his job search. He was very serious about landing a position in law enforcement and didn’t want to risk missing any opportunity to do so. Throughout the meal, the others told Mark and Frankie they were going to miss them and a few even asked for one or the other to do a favor for them when they returned. The duo agreed, since most of the requests were simple, but it would also keep them busy, so they wouldn’t feel so lonely.

After we finished the main course, I urged everyone to order dessert. I even allowed the older boys to have an after dinner glass of wine with it and poured it in their empty water glass, hoping no one would notice. Once we finished, we went for a brief walk, before going back to our rooms.

The next morning, we went to a U. P. S. store to ship our purchases home and then took Mark and Frankie to the airport to catch their flight. After seeing them off, the rest of us headed northeast, toward a little place named Ely, Minnesota. We were leaving from there to begin a two-week camping and canoeing trip thru some of the surrounding lakes. This trip would take us as far as the Canadian border, but we weren’t planning on crossing it.

It was mid-afternoon when we finally arrived at the outfitter’s base and they had everything ready for us. We merely unloaded the fishing gear and backpacks we had brought with us, before we began dividing everything up. Some of the boys would carry one of the backpacks we brought with us, which now contained their clothing. Two boys shared each backpack, so the other would be free to carry the items we picked up here.

The outfitters had the food and tents already placed in several of the backpacks, with the sleeping bags fastened to them. Since these backpacks were larger and heavier, we quickly assigned them to the older and larger boys. Jake and I took one too, as we tried to make sure we distributed everything equitably.

Once everyone was responsible for something, the outfitters led us to the six canoes we were going to use on this trip. They also gave me a map in a waterproof case, but not before they showed Jake and I the route they had planned for us to follow. They then went on to explain how far we should go each day, so we’d be back on time, and then provided us a few other essentials, such as wooden matches to start our fires with. These were put in the waterproof case with the map, to help keep them dry until they were needed.

After some general instruction about what to watch out for and other information we should know, we were given a quick demonstration of the appropriate way for one-man or two-men to carry a canoe over a portage. A portage is when you have to travel overland to get around areas where the water isn’t deep enough for a fully loaded canoe to travel or when you were moving from one water-source to another. We were told we’d be navigating many of these and they would range from thirty yards to over 300 yards in length. This news brought groans from my poor, abused family, but I told them to ‘suck it up’ and get moving.

A few minutes later, the canoes were in the water, with our gear stored safely in between those who would be doing the paddling. There were three in each canoe and I assigned Andrew, Sammy, Graham, Cole, Vinnie and Trey to be the middlemen in the various canoes. Once everyone had a chance to practice, we shoved off and started our adventure.

Due to the fact we were getting a late start, which the outfitters had taken into consideration when planning our route, the first campsite wasn’t very far away. This short outing gave us a chance to get used to working together in a canoe and then cross a small portage, before we set up our initial camp and fixed our first meal over an open fire. I knew this would be great preparation for the more difficult legs of the trip, which were still to come.

Protectively and instinctively, I kept a close eye on Vinnie and wondered how he’d handle the portage. I was amazed by what I saw. With Kevin’s help and the use of his crutches, he managed to do just fine. His ability to adjust and determination to do everything the others do still impresses me and I’m certainly glad he is like this. He doesn’t let his handicap overcome him and will not use it as an excuse. This attitude will serve him well in life.

When we reached the area where we’d be spending the night, we were all thankful this hadn’t been a full day’s journey. By the time we finished setting up our tents and securing our gear, we were all beginning to feel some muscles we hadn’t used in a while. In addition to that, many of our hands were red and tender from using the paddles to propel the canoes, plus the weight of the gear and carrying the canoes over the portage had taken it’s toll on our endurance levels. Even the boys who thought they were in fairly good shape were showing signs of wearing down, so we took a quick breather before we began dinner.

By the time we finished eating, everyone was ready to call it a day. I asked who wanted to go out and fish for breakfast with me the next morning and wasn’t surprised to see only a couple of boys take me up on my offer, as the others preferred to sleep in. I informed the interested parties I’d set my watch and wake them between 5 and 5:30, so we would be out when the fish were biting. Since there would only be four of us, we’d just take two canoes. I’d be in one with Pat and Jake would be in the other with Dustin.

When the alarm went off the next morning, I first made sure Jake was getting up, before I went to wake the other pair. We gathered our gear, set out in the canoes and fished for nearly two hours before we went back in. We had a few fish we kept and Jake offered to clean them for us, so they could be added to our breakfast menu. Pat and Dustin offered to help Jake, so while they were doing that, I started a fire and began to get everything else ready.

Once the smell of the food began wafting through the air, heads began to peek out between the various tent flaps. It wasn’t long before the boys began making their way in my direction, to grab some grub. It was kind of comical to watch them wander around in various states of dress, but I guess their growling stomachs were a stronger motivating force than the normal teen instinct to sleep as late as possible. Soon all of them were moving about and filling up with a variety of items, but I was surprised by how many chose to have some fish with their meal. Heck, most of them even came back for more.

We soon finished eating, struck camp and double-checked to make sure we left nothing behind. I also made certain there were no embers remaining from the fire, because I didn’t want to be responsible for starting a forest fire. As you probably remember from our previous outings, I always make sure we leave a place in as good, or better, shape than we found it, and once I was certain of that, we began the next leg of this adventure.

The water in the lakes and connecting streams was crystal clear and the boys were tempted to scoop it out with their canteens, so they could drink it directly from the source. After warning them not to do it and telling them the reasons why, they heeded my advice. We continued on, but I also noticed everyone was making sure to enjoy the fantastic scenery that enveloped us. We were surrounded by an endless supply of trees, in multiple varieties, the crystal clear lake we were on, the pale-blue sky, filled with billowy, white clouds and the golden sun. It was truly a scene an artist would die for and one we’d probably never forget.

We kept going until around 2 p.m., when we headed toward shore to stop and eat. Although we were already a little tired and sore from the physical exertion, it didn’t seem to be as bad as it had been the day before. We had even navigated a portage of around 200 yards and everyone seemed to do quite well with it.

After lunch we struck out again and were just passing a small island when an unexpected noise split the silence. It sounded like a gunshot. Many of us were startled and jumped in our seats, before looking in various directions for hunters. However, after surveying the area, I quickly spotted what had caused the noise and advised the boys. It was not what they thought at all, but merely a beaver warning other beavers of our approach by whacking its tail on the water. After the boys regained their composure and had a laugh over each other’s reactions, we kept going until we neared the spot where we were scheduled to spend our second night.

This time we pitched our tents about ten yards from shore and then began to prepare dinner. The boys had a little more energy tonight and I could see they weren’t about to go directly to bed. As we continued to sit around the fire, they began to beg me to tell them one of my stories, so I had to quickly come up with something that would suffice. Seeing there was so much water around, I focused in on one specific idea and hurriedly fleshed it out in my mind, so I could share it with them. When I thought I was prepared, I began to tell my recently concocted tale.

“Well, when I first contacted our outfitters, they warned me that a few years ago a couple had returned from Florida with five baby alligators. They thought they could keep them and maybe make some money by charging people to see them up close. Within a short time, however, the gators had grown so large they were becoming a threat to the family and neighborhood pets, so the couple brought them out to one of the lakes and released them.

“Seeing there are no natural predators for them in this area and with the abundance of food available, the gators grew rapidly and became more aggressive in the process. Soon they were attacking beaver, geese and other animals that dared to share their lake, and they even began to lie in wait for squirrels, rabbits, deer, moose, elk, bear and other animals coming down for a drink. Eventually, the alligators became so fearless that they even attempted to attack people in canoes and came up on shore at night, so they could pull campers from their tents. They would drag them down to the water, where they could deal with them better, and not many of their victims ever survived.

“I don’t think this is the lake they mentioned, and if I remember correctly, they said it was more to our west. What concerns me is that if those alligators have been having babies, I’m sure they’re branching out and making their way to new places. If they didn’t, it would put a great strain on the food supply where they were and then they’d HAVE to move on. However, I don’t think we have to worry, but it wouldn’t hurt to keep your eyes open just in case.”

I ended my story, but wasn’t certain who, if anyone, believed my tale. I felt some might, but I still didn’t bother to tell them I’d made the whole thing up or that gators wouldn’t be able to survive a harsh Minnesota winter, when the lakes freeze over. They wanted a story, so I gave them one. I also knew the scarier those stories are, the more they appreciate it, so I tried not to disappoint them. As the boys left the campfire, I saw several of them looking around as they walked to their sleeping area, and I heard later a couple of them even checked their sleeping bags before they crawled in.

A short time later, I spotted Peter coming out to relieve himself, but noticed he was unwilling to move away from the area the tents were set up to do this. I decided to approach him and ease his concerns.

“It’s all right and you don’t have to worry,” I told him, when he saw me approach.

“But sir, I know what crocs can do. We have plenty of them down-under,” he challenged.

“I know, but I just made that story up,” I explained. “Didn’t Ricky explain that?”

“He did tell me you told good ghost stories,” he replied, “but he didn’t tell me they were made up, especially this one.”

“Well, it was, even if he didn’t tell you so,” I added. “Are you okay now?”

“I’d still feel better if you stayed with me,” he responded.

“If it will make you feel better,” I agreed. I walked behind him as he moved a little farther from the tents, so the smell didn’t drift back. Then, I stood guard while he did his thing. Once he’d finished, I walked him back and he thanked me for going with him.

The next few days were much the same as the last and I was surprised we hadn’t seen any other people out and about since the afternoon we left the outfitter’s place. We did see more than our share of wildlife, mostly from long range, but our biggest thrill came when we saw an eagle soaring in the sky above us. We watched for several minutes, before it landed in its aerie, way up in a huge, and apparently dying, tree. It had been great observing it soar above us, as its huge wings caught the warmer air pockets, which helped float its great body effortlessly about. When it finally landed in its aerie, it did so with a minimum of exertion and little impact to the lofty nesting area.

During these past few days the boys had done much more than just watch wildlife they became a little primitive themselves. They had done a great deal of skinny-dipping in the various lakes we camped on and often ran around the campsite with nothing on but some footwear. Although that sort of activity has never bothered me, I noticed it did make Jake a little uneasy. He was worried others would see the boys running around naked, even though we hadn’t encountered anyone else, so he continually scanned the lake for signs of unexpected visitors.

Other than that, there were few problems, but we also experienced some humorous moments. With all the quiet that blanketed the area, except for the sounds of a few crickets, frogs or an occasional owl, it made other disturbances seem even louder. So, when we overheard some of the boys’ nightly sessions, it left little to our imagination. On more than one occasion, we had to stifle laughs over the cries of ecstasy emitted during a heated encounter, but I was glad to know they were enjoying themselves.

We had almost reached the end of our first week in the wilderness when we noticed a storm approaching on the horizon. We quickly detoured to an island on the lake we were currently on, set up camp quickly and then planned on waiting out the storm. We had just barely finished our preparations, so the boys were still dressed, when another canoe appeared and suddenly headed toward our island. In it were a mother, father and their two children – a girl about fourteen or fifteen and a boy most likely in the twelve to thirteen age bracket.

Once they came ashore and spotted us, they quickly asked if we’d mind if they shared the island with us during the storm. I quickly informed them we would welcome their company and they began to unload their gear. They would occasionally glance around and examine our family, so within a few minutes they were asking if we were a scout troop. None of us laughed, since we were used to such questions, but I informed our visitors we’d explain later, after we helped them set up first. It appeared the rain would start falling soon and we wanted to make sure they were all safe and snug during whatever we were about to encounter. They agreed, and then the boys, Jake and I all pitched in to get this done rapidly.

We had barely finished getting their tents ready when the first drops of precipitation began to fall. The storm turned out to be a violent one and sheets of rain slammed into the outer surface of our tents. The flashes of lightning were extremely bright and the thunder rumbled and vibrated throughout our temporary shelters and bodies. We even heard the lightning strike somewhere close by, but none of us went out to see what had been hit, although a few had been tempted.

This terrible storm lasted for over an hour, before the rain began to slow from a downpour to a heavy drizzle. Even though it was letting up slightly, it still wasn’t something you wanted to be in just yet. However, I think the boys would have liked to run around nude in the rain, if it wasn’t for our unexpected company and the lightning. This situation lasted for about another 30 minutes, with the storm gradually letting up until it stopped completely. When the sun began to peek out from behind the clouds, we all emerged from our havens of safety.

As we all came out to check the very soggy campsite, we began to chat. We discovered this family was heading back in to Ely and had been out in this wilderness for just over two weeks. Part of the reason they choose this type of vacation was to help their son earn some merit badges from his scout troop. They also felt it would give them time to bond and enjoy each other’s company, without distractions. They said the experience had helped bond them closer to each other than they were before they started.

After they filled us in about themselves, they wanted to know more about us. We quickly told them our story, but at first they didn’t believe what they heard and thought we were just pulling their legs. Eventually, we convinced them we were indeed a family and then answered a ton of questions, mostly from the children. Once they were satisfied, we spent the remainder of the day together, since we decided it would be best to spend the remainder of the day on this island and then strike out again in the morning.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..