Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 773 Words
  • 2,044 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Half-Elven Warlock - Prologue. 1/2Elf - Prologue

“Fall back to the gate!” Shad’ler, the Elven King yelled, and his officers repeated his commands to the remaining elven troops on the battlefield. There would be no time to look for survivors or to retrieve the fallen. Shad’ler had to harden his heart for this to work.

The vast forest clearing surrounding the elven castle rang with the clash of swords as the two armies struggled. The smell of blood, smoke, and death filled the air as the elven army was trying to hold off the horde of demons and other creatures of the night, but they were failing. The elves lacked the weapons necessary to defeat the demons. The war had come as a surprise to them, and they had lost many enchanted weapons when the demon goddess Aayver attacked the Royal Elven house Anfalas. The elves had become little more than cannon fodder, poured out against the demonic horde. They knew what their role was to be in the exodus. They had been ordered to die so others might live, and they willingly were doing so.

As the defeated elves retreated to the castle and their families, Shad’ler planted his sword in the ground before him. Tapping into the magic of the Fairie, and his own reserve of power, he cast the ancient spell using the King’s blade as a focus. Behind him, a small but capable coven of elven wizards, sorcerers, and battle magi, all friends of the King, gathered and lent their own stores of magic to produce the co-operative spell. The High Mage of the court looked to the others as they started their chants. “You know what must be done. Don’t let him stop us.” With that, he joined in with the others.

A shield of magical energy snapped forth and cut the landscape in two. It was centered on the King’s Blade, separating the elves from the demons. The shield protected the vast clearing around the castle forming a dome of pure magical energy. While Shad’ler chanted, pouring his will and energy into the shield, he felt the life forces of his fellows slip from their bodies as they became one with the spell shield.

“What did you do?” He concluded his casting and turned to watch as the gathered conclave fell one by one to their deaths. “Mithras, protect them, please.” Shad’ler sighed deeply, as he knew it was too late for his friends, but their sacrifice would hold the magical shield in place long enough for the elven clans to flee from the castle city.

Shad’ler grabbed his sword and ran to the main castle gate. “Gather,” he commanded, and climbed upon a wagon. “My friends, my warriors, my people, listen. We must run, and we must live. Our kingdom may fall this day, but we will not fall. Scatter to the four winds and hold fast in the lands where you hide. Gather your strength. One day, when the time is right, we will come back and reclaim what is ours. Go now and live! I will find you… one day,” Shad’ler watched as the last of his men left the field of battle and joined their families as the clans scattered through the magical portals to freedom.

The elven castle was old, ancient before Shad’ler was born, and ruled over by House Anfalas for eons. Made of stone, petrified wood, and living trees, the castle was a living fortress. Shad’ler ran, going deep into the heart of the castle, to the war room where the items he needed resided.

Breathing heavily, he pulled out one of the two touchstones, a palm-sized gemstone of onyx carved with magical symbols, and recited an incantation over it. “May all those who died today not do so in vain,” he said as he finished the rite. The castle slowly grew brighter. The ancient magic that was forged into the foundation of the castle and empowered by the life-forces of the fallen elves activated. The doors, windows, and the walls of the castle became alive with magical energy as the ancient defense took hold.

Shad’ler ran once more, this time towards the nearest escape portal, as he stuffed the touchstone into a pouch on his belt. He left the other one behind, as it was bound to the castle. No one, not even he, could remain. To do so would mean death from the magic that now lived within its walls. It would keep the demons at bay, along with any others who might want to claim the castle or its treasures.

Shad’ler stepped through the portal to Earth, and into a long exile.

Prologue updated on 02/09/2018. Special thanks to my real life friend Nathan aka Uccthe3rd, and my GA friends @Kitt, @Mikiesboy, @BlindAmbition, and @mollyhousemouse for tips, editing, and help with this RetCon.
Any mistakes are mine, and mine alone.
Updated: 07/02/2019
Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I'm impressed. Not the biggest fan of fantasy, but this prologue was interest and well written. 

Thank you! It turns more Urban Fantasy starting in Chapter 1, but there is a strong fantasy element in the story. I'm really happy you liked it, tim.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

An interesting start. I'm a fan of both High Fantasy and Urban Fantasy and am curious as to where you take us.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, dughlas said:

An interesting start. I'm a fan of both High Fantasy and Urban Fantasy and am curious as to where you take us.

Thanks for reading, duglas. It's an interesting journey so far. :) I've been using the D&D 5th edition rules as a foundation, to keep the characters believable. Chapter 5 is being written now, and I plan to include a lot of action in it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I'm still liking this, A!  

Thanks, tim. And thank you for the assist on it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..