Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 631 Words
  • 1,195 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lies We Tell - 6. Chapter 6

EMMA

I watch the building from across the street, waiting to make sure Michael actually leaves for work. My hands tremble in nervous anticipation. I have to find the right way to explain things, before he gets angry and walks out on me. I need him to believe me. I need someone to believe me. But it’s not going to be easy. He knows Michael. Or at least he thinks he does, so naturally he will be inclined to take his side. Just as I would have, if I were in his shoes.

Finally, I spot Michael’s Corvette leaving the parking garage. Five minutes later, Cole walks out of the building, enters the coffee shop and takes a seat. I take a deep breath and rub my belly for good luck. I'm not sure what I'm hoping to get out of this. Some understanding I suppose. And a warning. I wish someone had warned me when I met Michael. Then I could have avoided all of this hurt and pain. If I can help one person, maybe it will all be worth it.

I walk across the street—my hands clammy now. I open the door and walk over to his table. He looks surprised to see me.

“Haven’t we met before?” He asks, studying my face intently. I nod. “Yes, I remember now. Take a seat,” he says, looking at my belly. I sit down. “Why are you stalking me?” He asks calmly.

“I'm not stalking you,” I reply, embarrassed. “I've wanted to talk to you about the situation, I wanted to explain everything from my perspective. Whatever he told you about me, it's all a lie.”

“Well, I just recently found out about you if I’m being honest. And as far as I know there is no situation to speak of. Not anymore. You two are broken up. So all that’s left to do is for you to move on with your life and stop harassing me. Stop calling, stop following me, and stop sabotaging my wedding,” he says, and I feel my cheeks get hot. “I understand breakups can be hard, but this isn't normal behavior,” he states as nicely as he can.

“Well, it's kind of hard to move on when I'm carrying his child,” I reply bitterly, and he seems momentarily confused. I rub my belly.

“That's…are you telling me that's Michaels child?” He asks. Disbelief covers his face. I’m losing him, and it’s happening fast. 3, 2, 1 and he’s going to walk out. I have to do something to make him believe. To make him understand I didn’t make any of this up.

“It is, he wanted me to have an abortion, but I didn’t,” I stammer out, trying to make a cohesive statement.

“He told me you were crazy…but this, this is on another level,” he shakes his head.

“He's not who you think he is. He acts one way, but he's rotten inside. He uses people. He’s a narcissist. He used me. He took all my savings and then left me,” I start crying. He stares at me for a moment.

“I don’t believe you, you’re trying to trap him into a relationship. Lady…Emma, whatever your name is, you need to move on with your life and focus on your baby,” he says, getting up. “And you need to leave us alone. I don’t want to have to call the police.”

“I’m not lying, I swear. He used to hit me. He’s going to hurt you too, eventually. He’s not a good man!” I raise my voice and grab him by the hand as people begin to stare.

“Please, for the sake of your baby, you need to get help,” he replies, rips his hand away, and leaves the café.

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Of course, that is the normal response he would have had.  She had no proof to set the stage - just her word.  From his perspective, she is desperate to get Michael back and she knows this.  You're slowly peeling the onion!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with @pvtguyon this one - of course he wouldn’t believe her. Anything ringing true would get covered up quickly by denial since they’re so close to the wedding. She should have provided a little proof if she wanted him to listen to her.

Edited by headtransplant
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..