Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 1,020 Words
  • 1,497 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lies We Tell - 7. Chapter 7

COLE

When I get back upstairs from the café I’m rattled. Surely none of what this woman said holds any weight. She’s just a stalker, like Michael said. I hope I won’t have to resort to calling the police on her. And the poor child…she needs to get help for the child’s sake.

I go into the kitchen and start washing the dishes, hoping to get my mind off of things. But my thoughts continue to race. What if…no, it’s not possible. But what if Michael isn’t the person he says he is. I turn off the water and go into the bedroom. Most of his personal stuff is in boxes inside of the walk-in closet. Papers, letters, pictures—I start going through them all. I pour everything out onto the floor. I examine every scrap of paper for the next hour, but nothing seems out of place. Not until I get to the photo albums. There’s Emma in a risqué pose on the bed. There’s Michael and Emma on some type of vacation. There’s Emma at a boutique opening. Pictures and more pictures. So he lied when he said they just went out a couple times. He had a relationship with her, and he hid it. What else did he lie about, I wonder.

This can’t wait, I have to speak to him right away. I put on my jacket and drive over to his office. I’ve never been inside before, so I approach the man behind the front desk.

“Which floor is NextUp on?” I ask, referring to the company he works for.

“5th floor, go right when you exit the elevator.”

“Thank you.”

When I open the door on the 5th floor I’m greeted by a female receptionist.

“Hi, how can I help you?” she asks, cheerfully.

“Hi, I’m looking for Michael,” I say. When nothing seems to register on her face, I add in his last name, “Michael Hamstead. I’m his fiancé, I need to speak to him for just a second.”

“Uhh, I think you might be in the wrong place,” she replies, confused. Obviously, she must be new.

“Michael, he works here. He’s in the marketing department, I just need a quick word with him.”

“There is nobody here by that name, I can assure you. I’ve worked here for five years.” We look at each other in confusion. “But let me check if he’s one of our freelancers that we outsource to,” she says, trying to be helpful. She clicks her nails on the keyboard of the computer in front of her a couple time and then exclaims: “Ah, yes! He freelanced for us for a brief period of time, but we terminated the relationship. Seems that he wasn’t honest on his resume,” she says as kindly as possible.

“I see…thank you,” I reply shocked.

I get out of the building and sit in my car trying to figure out what the hell is going on. If Michael doesn’t work here, where the hell has he been going to in the mornings? How is he earning money? My heart starts racing, this is surely all a bad dream. I will wake up any minute now. But the nightmare continues.

I do the only thing I can think of. I call Emma.

“I really didn’t want you to find out like this,” she tells me when I pick her up outside of her apartment 20 minutes later. “I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for. I’m stupid for not believing you.”

“No, you're not. He's a master manipulator, and he's done this to people for years. Don't blame yourself.” We sit in my car and she tells me everything. All the hell he put her through. I'm in complete disbelief that the man I was trying to build my future with is a con artist, a cheater, and an abuser.

“Where do you think he's at now?” I ask.

“I'm not sure, but we can check if you want. I put a tracking device on his car this morning. I needed to know where he was at so that he wouldn't come and surprise me again,” she says. She opens an app on her phone. “He’s at a residential address, here,” she hands the phone over to me.

“Let’s go,” I say and step on the gas.

We pull up to a lovely house with a lush front yard covered in pink roses. It’s a bit of an old-fashioned design, and I strain my brain trying to figure out what exactly would Michael be doing here.

“Maybe he works as a plumber and he was too embarrassed to tell me,” I muse.

“Not possible, he doesn't know how to fix anything,” Emma replies.

“Then what's he doing here?” We sit watching the front windows for another 30 minutes. Until finally we catch a glimpse of him, and everything falls into place. He’s shirtless and quite comfortable, and suddenly there is an older woman next to him. They kiss with passion. Emma and I look at each other in shock.

“This is how he’s going to get his next paycheck,” she says.

“I don’t understand. So, he’s lied about everything.” She nods her head.

“It’s what he does. He’s a pathological liar.”

I’m nauseated by the kiss, and I put the car in drive and speed away, back towards our brand-new condo.

“Can you…I can’t be alone right now. Will you come grab some things with me? I need to stay at a hotel tonight. I don’t have the strength to confront him.”

“Of course,” she says.

When we get upstairs, I start packing a duffel bag of necessities. Clean clothes, toothbrush, and my phone charger. Emma waits for me at the door. Suddenly, a slush of liquid hits the floor. Emma and I both look down to where a puddle of water is spreading between her feet. Then we look back up at each other.

“What…what is that?” I ask. She stands there in silence for a moment.

“My water, my water just broke,” she says, then bows over in pain.

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Wow 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great timing, Emma. Now she’ll be occupied for a while, leaving Cole to work through this revelation alone. I hope someone warns the older woman Michael’s making out with!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, headtransplant said:

Great timing, Emma. Now she’ll be occupied for a while, leaving Cole to work through this revelation alone. I hope someone warns the older woman Michael’s making out with!!

You might be in for a surprise... 😬

Link to comment
3 hours ago, pvtguy said:

And now we might see just how dangerous Michael is...

Yes...the real Michael is about to be revealed 

  • Angry 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..