Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 584 Words
  • 1,599 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Lies We Tell - 10. Chapter 10

 

“Dear Dylan,

I’m writing this letter to give it to you sometime in the future. When you are old enough for us to start discussing certain things, like your parents, how you came into this world, and how I got to be…whatever it is you’re going to want to call me. I would be thrilled with dad, daddy, or papa of course. But if you choose Cole, or uncle Cole, or any other name, I will be happy and accept that as well. The name doesn’t matter, what matters is for you to know that I will always be here for you, regardless of the circumstances.

Now, a little about your parents. Your mother was a real beauty. A cascading head of hair and sparkly green eyes—full of life, and a cute trail of freckles on her nose, which you’ve inherited from her. But most important of all is the fact that she loved you with her entire being. And she fought for you to have a good life, every step of the way, no mater how difficult things got. Your biological father—despite the devastation he brought into both our lives—was a very handsome and magnetic man as well. Unfortunately, he was fighting demons we know nothing about and will probably never understand. Because of that, you haven’t gotten the easiest start in life. Having your parents gone just minutes after you were born is not something I will ever be able to understand, but know that I will support you, listen to you, and endlessly empathize with any feelings you may experience regarding the events that took place that day.

I am here, waiting to talk to you whenever you are ready. And I want you to remember that your mother loved you so very much. Her only desire was to see you have a good life. That is something you will never have to question, and I will remind you of it whenever you might be in doubt. Your mother’s love will protect and guide you, always.

I want you to know that I am so lucky to have you in my life. You are my greatest blessing, and my most amazing accomplishment. And I will protect you and love you until my very last day.

Love Always,

Cole”

I put down the pen, put the letter into the envelope and seal it. I write “For Dylan” on top and put it away inside of my desk drawer. I’ll give this to him one day, when the time is right. We are going to have to endure this conversation eventually, as painful as it is going to be. It’s probably going to take a lifetime of healing for us both to get over all the pain Michael inflicted on our lives. All the questions he left behind unanswered.

I turn off the light and go into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. The two-bedroom apartment is drastically smaller than the condo, but it’s given me a fresh start. There are no memories associated with this place, and I’m thankful for that. Dylan and I will be able to make our own memories here—good ones.

I walk over to the nursery and look at baby Dylan sleeping. He grimaces in his dreams and I gently rub his little hand through the onesie he’s wearing until he calms down. “It’s okay, I’m right here. I’ll always be right here,” I tell him.

 

The End

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aww, I was hoping Cole would raise Dylan. A nice ending to a wild ride of a story. I hope Cole finds love & support in raising the baby.

Nice work, this story wound up some great tension and had me on the edge of my seat.

I would like to read Dylan’s story once he grows up and he’s ready for that letter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, headtransplant said:

Aww, I was hoping Cole would raise Dylan. A nice ending to a wild ride of a story. I hope Cole finds love & support in raising the baby.

Nice work, this story wound up some great tension and had me on the edge of my seat.

I would like to read Dylan’s story once he grows up and he’s ready for that letter.

Thank you for sticking with it and providing thoughtful feedback throughout. 🙏🏼

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a great ending to a well-written, at times somewhat mysterious story! I liked the way the story changed points of view and that you gave information in bits, but never enough to give away the story. Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

What a great ending to a well-written, at times somewhat mysterious story! I liked the way the story changed points of view and that you gave information in bits, but never enough to give away the story. Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you for reading!! I very much appreciate it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was an interesting style, but effective.  The story was compelling.  Initially, I felt like it was too predictable, but it kept me looking forward to each installment to see how you were going to bring it together.  All in all, great job.  Now on to your next contribution.  I certainly admire your talent!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, pvtguy said:

This was an interesting style, but effective.  The story was compelling.  Initially, I felt like it was too predictable, but it kept me looking forward to each installment to see how you were going to bring it together.  All in all, great job.  Now on to your next contribution.  I certainly admire your talent!

Thank you, that means a lot. 🙏🏼

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..