Jump to content
    C. When
  • Author
  • 789 Words
  • 700 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

C Shorts - 2. Lovers' Worries (Prompt 323)

Prompt 323 “Can I talk to you?”

 

“Can I talk to you?”

 

At Aaron’s serious tone, I stopped stirring the batter and turned around to see him standing in the kitchen doorway. Seeing my ordinarily confident boyfriend troubled, I was a bit startled and definitely worried.

 

“Yeah, what’s wrong?”

 

“Max… What am I to you?” he asked and I just stared at him for a moment. We have been together for a few months now and although ‘I love you’s hadn’t been said, I didn’t think there was a question of what we meant to each other.

 

“You’re serious?” was the only way I could even think of to respond. He nodded. I took a deep breathe in order to give myself a moment to think of how to respond, “I truly care about you. You are the first person I’ve ever felt so strongly about,” I paused looking for better words to reassure him, “look, I don’t really know what to say here,” I waited for him to fill me in but he just staring at the floor with a tense expression, “What’s going on Aaron?”

 

He glanced up at my eyes and began to speak, instead he shifted looking away and refused to meet my eyes again. Aaron always had something to say about everything. But, not now? Not about us? Even when we were fighting, even when it was painful, and even if it took ages we were always able to get out what needed to be said. This was very bad.

 

“Aaron please, you’re scaring me,” He sighed and finally locked eyes with me. He walked to me, so he could grab my hand and lead me to the couch.

 

“I’m sorry Max,” he said softly, which was both comforting and worrying, “We need to talk but I shouldn’t have started with that. I’m just nervous.”

 

“Aaron. Why? Did I do something?”

 

“I just need to know what we are.”

 

“I’m your boyfriend and I assumed you were mine,” I was very lost at this point as we had already established we were dating, “Didn’t we start dating a few months ago?”

 

“Yes, but…” he started looking at me as if he were trying to figure me out, “Are you serious about this? Am I just an experiment or someone to fool around with?”

 

“What?! No! I am completely serious about us,” then I caught something else he said, “What do you mean by experiment?”

 

“Well, you’ve always dated women,” he offered.

 

“Yeah, you’re the first guy I’ve dated. Is that what’s worrying you?”

 

“Sort of,” he was rubbing circles into my hand with his thumb as talked, “You have jumped into conversations when our friends and I were talking about hot guys, but you have never admitted to being gay.”

 

“Oh,” thinking back I realized I had never talked with Aaron about my sexuality and thoughts, “I’m not gay.”

 

“How could you say that! We-” I cut him off before he could get more upset.

 

“I’m bi,” I clarified, “I’m attracted to men and women, but what matters is that I am with you.”

 

“You’re right. I should have thought of that,” he seemed more confident than earlier, “Are you okay with people knowing?”

 

“Yes, the people who are important to me already know,” this seemed to surprise him a bit but he looked happy.

 

“And you’re not ashamed of me? Your important people know about me?” he voiced his last concern.

 

“No, I’m not ashamed,” I affirmed hugging him tight, “I have even bragged about you to my mom and siblings.”

 

“Good to know,” he had seemed a bit worried, possibly realizing that he would have to meet them, when I mentioned my family but he sat back smiling and brought his hand to my face, “and I’m proud that you’re with me.”

 

“Where did this come from?” I asked wondering what had damaged his confidence.

 

“Roger was using me as a sounding board for his relationship problems and we ended up talking for a while,” he blushed a bit embarrassed.

 

“You listened to the man who is the definition of drama queen?”

 

“Sometimes, he has good advice,” he smiled at me shyly.

 

“Sometimes,” I put heavy emphasis on the word.

 

“I’m sorry,” he finally smiled at me, “I’m sorry for doubting you.”

 

“I’m sorry for letting you have doubts about how I feel,” I smiled back at him accepting his insecure side and leaned forward for a light kiss, “I love you, Aaron.”

 

“I love you too.”

Thank you for reading! I don't have much recent experience with dialogues so I thought I'd try this short conversation.
Copyright © 2016 C. When; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I like that you had your lovers talking! So many authors use miscommunication as the main impetus behind their character conflict and it drives me nuts because anyone in a relationship knows you have to talk, talk, talk. I also like you featuring a 'bi' character with a 'gay' character so accepting. I did notice you had trouble with the dialogue punctuation; I struggled with that a lot when I was newer to writing. There's a pinned topic in the Writer's Corner for dialogue punctuation that really helped me. Check it out!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I am out of likes, so I'll do that later.
You did really well with the Prompt C. The dialogue was honest and believable. I found myself caring about both Aaron and Max and hoping there would be a happy resolution to their crisis.

 

You should definitely do another Prompt or two or three...well, you get the picture. :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 11/24/2015 04:41 AM, Reader1810 said:

I am out of likes, so I'll do that later.

You did really well with the Prompt C. The dialogue was honest and believable. I found myself caring about both Aaron and Max and hoping there would be a happy resolution to their crisis.

 

You should definitely do another Prompt or two or three...well, you get the picture. :thumbup:

Thanks, I definitely will after I work on some holiday stories.

Link to comment

Hey, C! I loved this prompt also! :

 

I was going to mention the dialogue punctuation, but Cia beat me to it. lol Definitely check out the forum topic because it will be very helpful. You might even want to go back and fix the commas that should be periods after the dialogue. :)

 

I look forward to your next prompt, C!

Link to comment
On 11/23/2015 11:42 PM, Cia said:

I like that you had your lovers talking! So many authors use miscommunication as the main impetus behind their character conflict and it drives me nuts because anyone in a relationship knows you have to talk, talk, talk. I also like you featuring a 'bi' character with a 'gay' character so accepting. I did notice you had trouble with the dialogue punctuation; I struggled with that a lot when I was newer to writing. There's a pinned topic in the Writer's Corner for dialogue punctuation that really helped me. Check it out!

I think I fixed the punctuation issue. Thank you, I do like it when people remember to talk to each other.

Link to comment

Another well done prompt.. In line with what Cia said, I loved that they talked through their problem. That was definitely refreshing. Can't wait to read more from you..

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..