Jump to content
    ChrisL
  • Author
  • 1,339 Words
  • 525 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Modern Love Waltz - 10. Chapter 10

10: Happiness Running

"Where are we going?" I asked again as Beau continued to drive.

"I told you! It's a surprise!" Beau replied. The glee in his voice was so comforting. It made me feel happy to be with him.

Beau drove us across the Rappahannock River. We talked throughout the whole drive. I felt as though he kept asking all the questions. We talked about Northern Virginia, my college, and even what my high school was like. By the time I finally was about to get my turn to give him the third degree we had arrived at our destination.

The building was situated on the river with a large porch that looked out on the beautiful river. The sun was still setting which caused a beautiful orange glow. "Wow," I said, breathless.

"It's called 'The Shack,' and I thought it looked pretty cool," Beau said, obviously proud of himself.

I smiled, "it's great!"

We walked right in and headed straight for the porch. I'm not much of a romantic, never have been. Then again, I had never been on a date with a guy before this evening. The tables were the white plastic kind that you see at picnics and cul-de-sac parties. Draped over the table was a plastic, red plaid tablecloth. The chairs were also the same white plastic. Beau grabbed a table near the river. He pulled out one of the chairs, "for you sir." He bowed.

I laughed, "What a gentleman. Thank you."

A waitress dressed in a baby blue t-shirt with "The Shack" imprinted on it brought our menus. The menus were two-sided, laminated rectangles. This particular eatery seemed to specialize in seafood, naturally. "Let me know if you need any help!" The waitress was young, sixteen probably. She was energetic and I couldn't shake the feeling that she seemed to know what was going on. Perhaps that was just my paranoia.

"Listen, I know this isn't much," Beau began.

"Beau," I interrupted. "This is perfect."

He blushed, "I hope you like seafood."

 

*~*~*

 

Once the waitress took our orders I knew it was my turn. "So Beau," I began. "What was it like in Iraq?" I couldn't believe that was the question I started with.

"Oh, it was..." Beau thought for a moment. "It was fine. How have you been feeling?"

He was trying to change the subject, "I'm feeling fine. What about your family? What was growing up Beau like?"

"I don't want to bring this whole date down with my childhood," Beau began. "Let's talk about you?"

"We've been talking about me the whole time! I want to get to know you!"

"Well, me in a nutshell: I'm a soldier with not much going on up here," he said tapping his head. "I do what my Army tells me, and that's it. That's pretty much all I've ever really done." He said laughing.

"You don't do EVERYTHING they tell you," I replied.

"Huh?" Beau looked at me confused.

"They would tell you not to do this," I said pointing around us (meaning the date). "And come one Beau... you sell yourself short. You ARE smart, I can tell! And if you're not smart, then I'm dumber than you?"

"You're dumber than me?" Beau asked.

"I had to move back in with my parents because I was failing out of college! At least you do what you're supposed to! And on top of that, your life experiences are real. Mine are of parties, drinking, and soccer," I replied.

The waitress delivered out two beers we had ordered. "To being dumb as a rock!" Beau said with a laugh and we clinked out bottles.

 

*~*~*

 

"Can I ask you something?" Beau asked as he placed his fork on his half-eaten salmon.

"Anything," I replied.

"How many guys have you gone on dates with? What's it like, what do you people do?" Beau asked blushing again.

"You people?!" I joked. "Beau, I guess I never really made this clear... YOU are the first guy I have ever been on a date with."

Beau's look of shock was priceless, "Really!? But I thought..."

I laughed, "Nope. You were the first person that I ever said I was gay to."

"And here I was nervous that I had a bunch of hot guys to compare to!" He laughed. "I thought I was failing at this date thing!"

"Hot guys to compare to?" I asked prodding for a compliment.

Beau's face reddened again, "Well you know... You're good looking, so I figured you had been out with a lot of good looking guys."

"Nope, just you, the average looking one," I joked. Beau laughed.

Once we had both finished our food and our beers I asked, "So what's next? A movie?"

"I was actually hoping that we could walk along the boardwalk," he said pointing behind me. I looked and there was a boardwalk just a few blocks away.

"That sounds great," I replied smiling.

 

*~*~*

 

As we began walking on the boardwalk, Beau began to act very suspicious. He swallowed nervously and took a deep breath. His hand shot out from his side where it had been stiffly pressed against and grabbed my hand. I could feel his hand shaking.

It was strange, holding another guy's hand. Almost stranger than kissing another guy. This was something I hadn't expected. I hadn't prepared for it. My response was another smile. I wondered if I'd ever stop smiling.

Beau's hand was warm and welcoming. It was bigger than mine and it felt like it was hugging my hand rather than grasping it. Beau's nervousness was making me more comfortable.

I was starting to become a hopeless romantic, something I would have never seen in me if it hadn't been for the week in Heathsville. Beau and I walked hand and hand down the boardwalk silently.

When we got to the end we stopped. He looked into my eyes. His eyes were so warm and genuine. They made me feel loved, accepted. He placed his hand on the back of my head. Slowly our faces came closer into a kiss. At that moment I couldn't remember if there had been people around. However, it didn't seem to matter. I didn't care and neither did Beau.

 

*~*~*

 

Like a gentleman Beau walked me to the door of the rental house. We stopped on the front porch. "I had a great time tonight," I said.

Beau smiled, "I'm glad... so did I."

"You're welcome to come in," I invited.

Beau sighed, "Thanks, but... no, I probably shouldn't."

"That's fine, no pressure."

"When are you leaving?" Beau asked, his smiling completely fading.

I sighed. I was really getting sick of that question. The most annoying part was I still didn't know. My parents would start hounding me soon about coming back up for school. "Not tomorrow."

Beau smiled, "Okay."

"Good night Beau," I said turning away from him. But as I turned his strong hand grasped my head forced me back to him. He pulled my face into his. Our lips met and we kissed, though not for long. When he let go I was too stunned to move.

"Good night," he said and turned around and walked down the steps.

I opened the door to the rental house and stepped in shutting it behind me. I sighed and whispered "Wow."

"Wow is right," the voice came from the darkness in the living room. I could distinctly make out a figure sitting on one of the couches. I felt my stomach sink.

"Who's there?" My voice was weak and trembling.

"So you and Beau? A-a-a-and Beau is gay?" Chris replied

Copyright © 2011 ChrisL; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..