Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 747 Words
  • 1,290 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dribbles - 28. The Lucky One

Inspired by Prompt #513
Tag – Marked for Death
You have been having issues with your roommates. It has only gotten worse when you won the lottery last week. Needing some time to yourself you go for a drive. As you begin to head toward the mountains as you usually do, your brakes fail. Luckily, you just had a minor accident, but the mechanic tells you the brakes were cut. Who is trying to kill you?

“Marked for Ascension, I see.” Felix tapped a few buttons on his computer and robotic arms picked up my car and began working underneath. “That makes sense then.”

“What makes sense?” Elian asked. He fingered the sunburst on his forehead.

“Why someone would cut your brake lines. They failed because you lost all the fluid. You designate your successor?”

Elian gaped at him. “I-I did. Every lottery winner has to before Rising.”

The mechanic shook his head. “I’m real sorry to hear that.”

It was his last night on Earth, the last time he’d see these stars from this position, so Elian went on the last drive he’d ever take to a secret spot high in the mountains... or he tried to. He wasn’t very high up when his brakes quit working, so going over the edge left him banged up and bruised, but still very much alive. On the eve of the ceremony, only one person had answered his distress call to rescue him from a long walk and possibly missing his own Rising.

There would be hell to pay for Cresil though. His younger brother had quietly supported him, the one person who hadn’t bombarded him with requests to be his successor, so Elian had thought to reward that lack of social climbing by gifting him with his rank once his Ascension had been fulfilled.

But he was the sole person who’d benefit from Elian’s death, so the culprit behind the deadly plot could only be him. “How long until you can fix the brakes?”

“A few hours, but I don’t have any plans tonight. I can take you back to The Complex now if you need to go now.”

Elian stared out at the stars, saying his good-bye to the only ones he could see through the light pollution. He had a lot to do: a brother to disinherit, a new successor to be chosen....

“What about you?” Elian asked Felix. “I’m surprised you aren’t there already.”

“I wasn’t gonna go to the Rising. I can’t afford to take a day off because I support my parents off the shop. But I guess now that I met the guy who’s the lottery winner this year, I might stay to see that. I’ve never spoken to a person who was going to Ascend.”

“Me either,” Elian confided. “I’m terrified I’ll scream when this body dissolves.”

“You’re all beat up from the crash and not whining at all. You’re stronger than most initiates.”

He had a point. Pampered by the luxury of a life of fulfillment, some didn’t want to give it up. Maybe it was fear more than pain that caused their screams. “Thank you for your kind words.” They’d give him strength. Felix’s boon hasn’t been decided yet. “I wasn’t sure what I wanted for my boon, since I’d designated my only living family as my successor and I can’t take anything with me. But now that Cresil tried to have me killed, I know what I will ask for—his dissolution of rank. I’m going to need a new heir though. Whoever it is could Ascend within ten years, if not sooner, based on the current lottery numbers but would live in luxury until then.”

“Sounds like a big decision. Sorry you have to make it again.”

Elian cocked his head sideways. “I think I already have.”

Felix smiled ruefully. “I’m sure you had a lot of people asking for it. That must make it really hard to make a decision, even if you have a lot of options to choose from.”

“You’re not wrong about that. Bribes, threats, ingratiating reminders of past relationships... I’ve heard it all. You know what I didn’t hear? One person who understood that making this choice was difficult for me. I could pick a stranger out of the masses at my Ascension like so many others before me, but I want to know the person I leave in my place deserves it.”

Ushering him to a car in the corner of the lot, Felix chuckled. “Good luck! It’s not easy seeing behind the masks people wear when they want something.”

“Felix, do you know what your name means?”

He shook his head.

Elian smiled. “Well, you should look it up, because I think whoever named you must have had the prophetic ability.”

“My ma?” Felix snorted. “I don’t think so.”

“Well maybe you’ll change your mind because I want you to be my successor.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very cool take on the prompt, Cia. He found someone deserving because of his brother's betrayal. Poetic justice... I like it... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Love it! Really outside-the-box interpretation of the prompt. It's great as but part of me would love to see a full length expansion. :D

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/15/2016 12:50 PM, Headstall said:

Very cool take on the prompt, Cia. He found someone deserving because of his brother's betrayal. Poetic justice... I like it... cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary! I was using a few different underlying themes with this short like the names and that whole poetic justice you mentioned. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/15/2016 01:01 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Love it! Really outside-the-box interpretation of the prompt. It's great as but part of me would love to see a full length expansion. :D

Well a lottery can be so many things, as seen from The Island, Hunger Games, and the US $$ version, but I wanted to go a little different. Teasing hints of what the lottery entails, but I didn't really explain it all, so it could be expanded later. LOL, a lot of my prompts could, actually. Thanks for reviewing, Lux!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Such a strange take on the prompt. I was thinking basic old US style lottery and you came up with ...death? Glad he picked Felix .... and I looked up the meaning of his name. :read:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/16/2016 11:48 AM, LadyDe said:

Such a strange take on the prompt. I was thinking basic old US style lottery and you came up with ...death? Glad he picked Felix .... and I looked up the meaning of his name. :read:

LOL! I'm glad you did. :) I loved the irony of the contrast of Elian's choice and his boon along with the name meanings (did you look up Elian and Cresil? ;) I also wanted to play with the double-edged nature of the US-style lottery by making the lottery Elian faced have a negative death tie but then also do a nebulous positive tone too. Plus I don't mention where he Ascends or how, so it's only really "death" if you think of this life as the only physical existence possible. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I get it. When I read you had posted to Dribbles, not having seen this before, I was interested. Lets just say my mind went somewhere else. Either way it made for some interesting reading and is a very entertaining peek into the mind of an author.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/03/2016 11:43 AM, dawn said:

I get it. When I read you had posted to Dribbles, not having seen this before, I was interested. Lets just say my mind went somewhere else. Either way it made for some interesting reading and is a very entertaining peek into the mind of an author.

Thank you, Dawn! Flash fiction is a way to explore different ideas and styles, so it's always fun to mess around with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..