Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 619 Words
  • 2,679 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dribbles - 3. Flashy

GA Prompt #33: Your protagonist has a serious quirk. That’s right, it’s impossible to ignore yet there is no mention of it. Tell us, nay, show us a story in which your protagonist aggressively seeks a goal while those around him/her try their darnedest not to react to the quirk.

"And in first place, Les Stevens."

Les has his hand on one hip, still breathing hard and waves to the crowd in the bleachers. He still can't talk so he stays focused on walking until he is cooled off. His coach comes running over and claps a hand on his shoulder.

"Good job, son. You ran a great race. I think you too the hurdles a little high, you could probably shave a little time off if you weren't so flashy."

"Ahh, but how could I resist Coach?" Les smirks at him and the coach laughs then shakes his head as he walks back to the starting line to give a last minute pep talk to Shaney before she ran in the girl's race..

Les begins walking in the grass along the track, ignoring the other school's teams. Most of them just stare at him, their eyes scanning up his legs to the cocky grin on his face. There were whispers but when his head turned the teens fell silent. A few smile at him and one senior from a school across town gave him a thumbs up.

At the long jump he begins stretching and jumping to warm up. Standing at the far side, just finishing up his own jump was Tyler Casey. Les looks at the jumps posted; 16' 8". Tyler isn't holding back his smirk but Les is used to ignoring him. All through their freshmen year Tyler had ragged on Les; during class, practice, meets. It was relentless until one day Les decided he'd had enough, even if he had to give up track.

At the State tournament he walked out of the locker room and his whole team fell silent; except for Tyler of course. Les ignored him and proceeded to place in every event he did. Tyler didn't get better than fifth. When the meet was over in the locker room Tyler went after Les.

"Nice outfit, queer."

"Glad to know you like it." Les stuck one leg out and struck a pose. "Didn't know you had such a hard on for my legs but you were sure staring at them all day."

"Like them? You made our school a laughinstock. You shouldn't be allowed to be on the track team you disgusting fag!" Tyler shoved Les into the lockers.

"Casey! What the hell do you think you're doing? My office; now!" The door slammed shut and the rest of the team just stood there listening to the yelling voices and staring at him. Les turned away and started pulling the spandex leggings he borrowed from his sister off so he could take a shower.

"Bright pink... Not fair... But!"

The door to the office opened. "No buts, Casey. You're off the team and I'm considering suspension. Don't push it with more of your homophobic crap or I'll get the school board involved."

"Screw this school!" Tyler screamed. "I'll go to a new one and next year I'll make you wish you hadn't taken the queer's side."

Les has to shake his head to clear the memory. He stands at the end of the run and focused on the white board at the end by the sand pit. Leaning forward he runs as fast as he can, pushes hard right before the take off board and sails through the air. Landing in the soft sand he stays standing for a moment and then leans over, brushing the sand off his leggins. He raises an eyebrow at Trevor who is staring at him, shaking with his hands in fists at his side.

"With a jump of 17' 2" Les Stevens takes first in the boys long jump and the all around points lead!"

 

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This one made me chuckle a bit as I read it. I can just see everyone trying to ignore pink leggings on a guy. Though I really like how Tyler was kicked from the team for his derogatory actions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/15/2011 05:51 PM, Renee Stevens said:
This one made me chuckle a bit as I read it. I can just see everyone trying to ignore pink leggings on a guy. Though I really like how Tyler was kicked from the team for his derogatory actions.
Hey, gotta have the tool off the team, these are the enlightened times, right? Lugh said I couldn't say what the 'quirk' was but I figured, teenage boy wearing pink leggings to track, yeah... that'd be noticed! LOL, it make me laugh a bit to write it. Thanks for reviewing!!
Link to comment

Thanks. Now all I can see is a bunch of kids running, jumping, and trying their best to ignore the star in bright pink leggings. :lol: You might not want to say anything but lord no one is going to forget his quirk! And naturally the idiot who thinks he is better than everyone didn't help matters. But I sure as hell enjoyed this.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/18/2011 04:14 AM, comicfan said:
Thanks. Now all I can see is a bunch of kids running, jumping, and trying their best to ignore the star in bright pink leggings. :lol: You might not want to say anything but lord no one is going to forget his quirk! And naturally the idiot who thinks he is better than everyone didn't help matters. But I sure as hell enjoyed this.
Thanks! This was based a little in real life and a bit of make believe added along side. I couldn't help but smile as I wrote it, I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks so much for the reviews dear!!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..