Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 6,353 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost Inside - 2. Chapter 2

“Damn dreams.” Benny shuddered. Time for a shower. Benny had to wash the clammy sweat off. He glanced at the clock on the microwave as he stumbled past the kitchen to the bathroom. Six o’clock. The sun would be up soon.

The lights flicked on with an annoying buzz. The dim light didn’t hide his haggard reflection. Benny brushed a hand over his scalp. He needed to shave. His hands shook a too much to handle a razor to get a truly close shave, but Benny plugged in his electric and ran it over his head and face.

“Good enough.” Benny avoided looking at his earring when he turned his head side to side to check for any stray patches.

Benny stepped into the shower before he turned it on. The shock of cold water blasted him in the face but even that didn’t work. He was still exhausted. Benny braced himself on the wall, his biceps bunching, and let the gradually warming water pound over his head and back. He lathered up a washcloth and began scrubbing the dreams away.

Not seeing the scars couldn’t take away the feel of the deep gouges or the mangled repair that was the best the doc could do for him. Benny didn’t linger in the shower once he got clean.

There wasn’t a lot of selection in his wardrobe. He pulled on a tight pair of jeans, a tighter white shirt, and his black boots. Benny made a pot of coffee; he needed the caffeine to get through his day. Benny stood at the counter and downed his first cup, then refilled and popped the lid on his to go cup.

He had things to do.

It was foggy outside. The moist air was chilly against his shaved head. Benny went back in to grab his jacket while his jeep warmed up. Yesterday it was raining; today it was foggy. Come tomorrow it would probably jump twenty degrees and be sunny.

Benny growled when his phone went off. He glared at the screen. He slammed the door and checked to make sure it was locked.

“Why are you calling this early?” he growled.

“Because I knew you’d be up.”

Benny rolled his eyes. “Why are you up?” Sure, he’d left early with Ellis, letting the bar staff think they’d taken off. Really, he’d gone with Ellis to ensure his mate stayed in the safe room. They were still in the honeymoon phase and probably hadn’t gone to sleep until late, even if they’d just survived a serious attack from Mishtar. Benny pushed that thought away. He didn’t want to imagine Dav in bed.

“Did you speak with Velaku?”

Benny rolled his eyes. “Yes. He’s sending over two Falcons to help with an aerial search.”

“There’s been a change in plans. Tonight Ellis is going to act as bait.”

He was going to what? Benny sucked in a sudden breath. “You’re shitting me? Damn it, Dav, your mate might have some physical abilities now, but that doesn’t mean he’s up for something like that. He’s not strong enough.”

Dav sighed. “Do you want to tell him that?”

“Not a chance.”

“Well, me either. Look, he’s determined to do this, and I think he’s right. There’s some new information you don’t know. Look, I don’t want to talk about this over the phone. I’ll send you the details.”

“Damn.” Just what Benny needed.

***

Benny waited. His claws flicked in and out as he flexed his hands. Two of Velaku’s loyal Falcons were behind the door to the bathroom. They all waited in silence. Benny glanced at his watch. He expected the traitors to show up early, make the hit, and then run. They’d already been hiding for an hour, and he was tired of waiting for the scumbags to show up. They’d been testing the club’s security, casing the exits, looking for a sign of where Dav had Ellis hidden.

His phone buzzed. Benny slid it out of his pocket. Ellis left. Should be there in five.

“Look sharp,” Benny hissed. He heard feathers rustling as the Falcons shifted.

Five minutes passed.

Ten.

Benny frowned. The door to the safe room wasn’t locked. Ellis should’ve come in already, drawing the two traitors into their trap. Where the hell was he?

“Stay here.” The Falcons nodded. Benny palmed his gun and slipped out of the safe room. He went up the steps toward the short hall that led to Dav’s apartment. He took a deep breath, nostrils flaring.

Blood!

“Shit, shit, shit.” He pounded up the stairs and burst through the door. The scent was stronger there. Dav’s apartment. If anything happened to Ellis, his ass would be toast. The Snake would go apocalyptic.

Benny ran into the room, his gun ready. Brad cringed against one wall, Ahsran standing over him snarling. Isiah, Ellis’ twin, was checking the bodies. Two Carthera, one Falcon and one Badger, lay dead in steadily growing pools of blood. “I smelled the blood!”

Dav had his arms around his mate.

“What do you want me to do, boss?” Benny asked.

"Get someone to clean this shit up," Dav said. "We'll go to Ellis' apartment after I get him cleaned up; you can contact me there if you need me."

“Will do.” Benny watched as Ahsran and Isiah dragged the begging bartender out of the room. He had no idea Brad had been in on the plot.

Benny scrubbed his hand across his head. Seemed like whatever could go wrong, would go wrong lately. Maybe it was time he gave up his job as Dav’s second. The problems in his own life were too distracting. Benny flicked open his phone. Time to get a clean-up crew to dispose of the bodies and mop up the blood. He’d have to oversee that and he needed to thank the Falcons and send them back to Velaku.

Tomorrow he’d go see his mate. That thought didn’t help the twisting in his gut, at all.

This is part of a group flash called the Wednesday Briefers. We all post 500-1k updates ach week on our personal blogs, and some of us share here too. If you're interested in the other authors who don't post on GA, check out the central site that lists snippets and links to all the Briefers participating each week, set up by Andrew Q. Gordon.
Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

God I feel sorry for Benny. Everyone around him has a mate they can look after and he can only watch from a distance after what happened. I am so hoping there is a happy ending for Benny and his mate

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/22/2014 08:48 PM, Sonya said:
God I feel sorry for Benny. Everyone around him has a mate they can look after and he can only watch from a distance after what happened. I am so hoping there is a happy ending for Benny and his mate
Don't worry Sonya, I rarely do bittersweet endings. The story is never easy, though. Thanks for reading Sonya!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ah I hadn't realized that this tied into the end of Hypnotic. So Dav and Ellis are not that settled in their new mating either. Not to mention Ellis' twin and all the other stuff going on. Noone will have time for Benny and Dav won't like him resigning. Not good, but at least we know you care for him :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/23/2014 08:20 AM, Timothy M. said:
Ah I hadn't realized that this tied into the end of Hypnotic. So Dav and Ellis are not that settled in their new mating either. Not to mention Ellis' twin and all the other stuff going on. Noone will have time for Benny and Dav won't like him resigning. Not good, but at least we know you care for him :)
Yeah, there's a lot going on. Inside of You didn't tie in as closely to the timeline, but Jerret was a minor character. Benny is an integral secondary character in Hypnotic, so I needed to tie his story in a bit closer, especially given some of the plot events to come. :) Thanks for reading, Timothy!
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Gosh, it has been so long since I read Hypnotic! I will have to go back and re-read it. I enjoyed that one alot. I can't wait to see how you are going to move Benny and his mate's story forward. What can he do to help him and what can he do with the fact that he is in a childlike state? Even if he can get Benny past being terrified of him, what kind of relationship can it be? It would be so hard to see your mate affected so badly that so little of them is left. It is so sad to see the toll the loss of his mate bond and his mate is having on Benny. Does Dav see it too because he'd know how distractions get you killed in their line of business? Just wondering, I know that he can't show his Tiger to his mate, but does his human form scare him too? I know you had to tie it in, but man I wanted to see something focussed on Benny and his mate...starting the long wait for next Wed. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/23/2014 11:08 PM, Cannd said:
Gosh, it has been so long since I read Hypnotic! I will have to go back and re-read it. I enjoyed that one alot. I can't wait to see how you are going to move Benny and his mate's story forward. What can he do to help him and what can he do with the fact that he is in a childlike state? Even if he can get Benny past being terrified of him, what kind of relationship can it be? It would be so hard to see your mate affected so badly that so little of them is left. It is so sad to see the toll the loss of his mate bond and his mate is having on Benny. Does Dav see it too because he'd know how distractions get you killed in their line of business? Just wondering, I know that he can't show his Tiger to his mate, but does his human form scare him too? I know you had to tie it in, but man I wanted to see something focussed on Benny and his mate...starting the long wait for next Wed. :)
This story is mostly dedicated to Benny, for obvious reasons of course. Yuri's POV won't come until later. Don't worry, if you don't want to re-read Hypnotic you'll get some info in the next update. I'm trying to make this story standalone, so of course some background is necessary. Don't worry though, I also have a lot of plans to move the story forward.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This chapter made me miss Inside of You. Dav and Ellis are still my favorite in these series. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. I remember the struggle Dav had to let Ellis be part of the fight, it's great to see the other side of the story. Great chapter. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/22/2014 08:02 AM, lilansui said:
This chapter made me miss Inside of You. Dav and Ellis are still my favorite in these series. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. I remember the struggle Dav had to let Ellis be part of the fight, it's great to see the other side of the story. Great chapter. :)
I'm weaving in all sorts of details from past stories, which is one of the things that made it hard to want to write. That's a lot of work to try to remember/read back. But, I've needed to write Benny's story forever, and it was finally time.
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..