Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 5,621 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost Inside - 4. Chapter 4

“Fuck off!”

Benny crossed his arms over his chest and raised one eyebrow. “No. I told you to let him go. He’s working, not here to dance, and I heard him tell you that himself. Now I’m telling you it’s time to leave.”

The new bartender yanked his arm back, and the drunk idiot who’d grabbed him let go. He scurried back around the corner. Benny didn’t move, not even to flick an ear. He’d walk this guy out, if he didn’t leave on his own.

Well, the moron would make it outside. Walking was optional. The icy drizzle could cool the hot head down. “Are you going to make a stupid choice right now, or do I get to have some fun?” Benny yawned, exposing his fangs. He’d enjoy this.

The human’s face turned red and he clenched his ham hands into fists. Nope, he wasn’t going to take the easy way out. Benny might stand a head shorter than the pudgy bastard, but his shoulders were just as wide. And Benny’s bulk was created by bands of thick muscle he maintained by his two hour a day workouts, not guzzling a six pack every night.

Of course the human swung and missed. Benny stepped to the side, grabbed the man’s wrist in one hand, twisted and slid behind him, yanking the man onto his toes and threatening to dislocate his shoulder. The human bellowed.

“Tsk, tsk…” Benny stretched his free hand next to the man’s face, his razor sharp claws glowing red in the bar lights. He dropped that hand onto the bastard’s shoulder and began shoving him toward the door. “You should have just left. But then, I wouldn’t have had any fun at all.”

He grinned evilly at Jerret who was manning the door. Benny’s younger brother shook his head and didn’t move from his stool. Benny slammed the drunken mauler into the door, using his face to open it. The man howled and began to struggle. Benny dug his claws in and slid them down the man’s back, tearing his shirt and leaving shallow scratches behind as a reminder.

“You can’t hurt a human!” Benny rolled his eyes. He hadn’t broken the man’s arm or dislocated his shoulder, which he could have, easily.

“I didn’t hurt you. Besides, I highly doubt you classify as human. Don’t come back,” he hissed in the drunk’s ear, ignoring his blubbering. “Or my claws won’t just get a taste of your skin.”

Benny shoved the man forward. The human didn’t try to come back at him, though Benny was ready for it. He sighed. The coward was barely any fun at all. The cold air felt good under the overhang. The rain had increased into a steady drumming. Benny stepped aside for two guys heading into the club.

Maybe tomorrow would be better. The only glimpses Benny’d had for the last week of his mate were through the big window Yuri liked to sit in, reading or watching the rain from the safety of the Falcon home.

It wasn’t enough.

Benny was going to go crazy, one of these days. Maybe even one day soon.

***

Ellis sat at the bar drinking a cranberry and vodka. Davis was in his office doing something or other. Benny’d been working for two weeks straight without a single incident. He’d worked out for hours in the early hours of the morning after his shift to wear himself out.

A nervous energy had grown inside him. He fidgeted on his stool next to Ellis. He wasn’t technically working, but if anyone was stupid enough to hit on The Snake’s mate Benny would get first dibs on punishing them for their temerity.

Ellis glanced at Benny when he wrapped one foot around the leg of his stool and tapped his toe on the black metal bar at the base.

“Ants in your pants?” Ellis shouted over the music.

“No,” Benny snapped.

“Geez.” Ellis snorted. “It was only a joke.”

Benny sighed. “I know.” He stilled, his hands falling into his lap. “Sorry.”

“Wanna talk about it?”

Did he? Benny wasn’t sure if he could, much less wanted to. But since he’d mated Davis and fought in the attack against Mishtar, Ellis had changed. He wasn’t quite like a Snake, though he had fangs and venom, but he was more than human.

“It’s too loud in here.” Benny didn’t want any ole asswipe hearing about his problems. They were his.

“Let’s go up to Dav’s apartment.” The Snake had practically moved out to live with Ellis in his apartment, but he kept his apartment above the club.

Benny followed Ellis past the dance floor and up the stairs in the back. He collapsed on the couch Ellis gestured toward. The slender man took a seat in a chair.

“So, tell me how you feel.” Ellis tented his fingers under his chin and blinked owlishly.

Never in his dreams had Benny imagined he’d bare his feelings… and laugh first. Ellis grinned.

“You know, I’ve never seen you laugh before. “ Ellis cocked his head.

Benny sobered; his smile faded. “Not much to smile about in a while.”

It had been a year since he’d lost his mate. Yuri still lived… but Benny wasn’t sure he was anymore. It was like the world existed in a fog around him, except for when he was angry. Then everything was sharp and clear.

But even that was getting harder and harder to feel. Ellis listened when the dam inside Benny finally broke and everything spilled out. It was supposed to be cathartic.

But he didn’t feel any better.

Tears shone in Ellis’ eyes when Benny fell silent. “I get up for him. To see him each day. I eat, drink, and breathe for Yuri. Because I see him happy sometimes, so I have to just deal. Right?”

Ellis shook his head. “No. No, you shouldn’t have to just deal. I’m going to find a way to help you.”

Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Benny but Ellis is adorable and you know when he sets his mind to it he will figure something out. Can't wait for the next installment

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Aw I'm glad Benny finally talked and I love Ellis. He's great. He'll find a way to make this better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think the most ominous sentence of the whole chapter was 'Maybe one day soon.' Brrr made me shiver. Maybe Ellis' work at the hospital will be helpful in working out a solution for Benny and Yuri. Even if he just visited Yuri and talked to him, he could give Benny regular updates.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/29/2014 10:24 PM, Sonya said:
Poor Benny but Ellis is adorable and you know when he sets his mind to it he will figure something out. Can't wait for the next installment
Ellis is pretty determined. Plus, he works with a doctor. Who knows what might come of him trying to help? :)
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 12:31 AM, m.p. said:
Aw I'm glad Benny finally talked and I love Ellis. He's great. He'll find a way to make this better.
He needed to! :) I love Ellis too. He's a great character.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 02:44 AM, Chris Booyse said:
I'm a sucker for a happy ending and I feel one coming on - pretty please Cia :worship:
Me, happy ending? Noooo! :P
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I love to see Ellis trying to help Benny. Of all the main Carthera characters, he's the nicest and most snsitive. Plus, his mission in life is to help others, so I'm sure he'll come up with something, right? Please? :kiss:

I wonder what Yuri is really feeling? The narrator only tells us the way Benny perceives the situation and how he feels about it. What about Yuri? I would love to get a glimpse of what is going on inside of his head/heart.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 04:07 AM, Timothy M. said:
I think the most ominous sentence of the whole chapter was 'Maybe one day soon.' Brrr made me shiver. Maybe Ellis' work at the hospital will be helpful in working out a solution for Benny and Yuri. Even if he just visited Yuri and talked to him, he could give Benny regular updates.
Oh, there's much to come. I can't give away my plans to help Yuri, but you can trust he's persistent. I don't think he'll stop til he's tried everything he can possibly think of. Thanks for reading!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 04:36 AM, belann said:
I love to see Ellis trying to help Benny. Of all the main Carthera characters, he's the nicest and most snsitive. Plus, his mission in life is to help others, so I'm sure he'll come up with something, right? Please? :kiss:

I wonder what Yuri is really feeling? The narrator only tells us the way Benny perceives the situation and how he feels about it. What about Yuri? I would love to get a glimpse of what is going on inside of his head/heart.

Well, like I said, Ellis is extremely persistent. I'm all about twisting a story, maybe in ways you don't expect. Don't worry, Yuri will play a much bigger role in the story soon. Thanks for reading, Belann.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving that Benny's story is being told. Maybe Ellis can get some help from Bashta?!?!?! He knows some secret stuff. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 06:17 AM, secretsides said:
Loving that Benny's story is being told. Maybe Ellis can get some help from Bashta?!?!?! He knows some secret stuff. :)
He might! You never know, you know? :P LOL! I can't spill what's going to happen, that would be no fun. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. There's definitely more to come. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love that, after their rocky start, Ellis wants to help Benny. After being surrounded by other finding their mates, Benny deserves his own HEA. One of my favorite parts of sequels is visiting with characters from previous stories. Can't wait for next Wed.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/30/2014 08:33 AM, avidreadr said:
I love that, after their rocky start, Ellis wants to help Benny. After being surrounded by other finding their mates, Benny deserves his own HEA. One of my favorite parts of sequels is visiting with characters from previous stories. Can't wait for next Wed.
Me too! But, the trilogy really had an underlying plot, which wasn't as obvious in Bashta's story, but was still there with critical characters. I had these 'side stories' planned for some of the secondary characters the whole time, but time/inclination hampered me. More will be coming on this though, which was my real drive with tying it into my Wednesday Briefers group. At the very least, you know you get a little more each week. Thanks for reading!
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter....always nice to see old characters. When you said that Yuri is 'childike' how regressed is he? Is he mentally much younger? Just wondering. That could be one more hurdle.

Wow, I didn't realize such a short time had passed since that all happened.

Can't wait for more!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/03/2014 12:32 AM, Cannd said:
Great chapter....always nice to see old characters. When you said that Yuri is 'childike' how regressed is he? Is he mentally much younger? Just wondering. That could be one more hurdle.

Wow, I didn't realize such a short time had passed since that all happened.

Can't wait for more!!

Well that's all part of the mental issues. I don't want to give too much away about Yuri's diagnosis until I actually share the chapters, since that might give away something. :P Thanks for the review!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Benny surely has a lot of anger and frustration bottled up inside him. It rolls off him every second, I love how you write this side of him. He's simply doing his best to survive and I can't help but sympathize, I like Ellis's little joke, in the therapy session. As someone has said before, once Ellis puts his mind to it, he doesn't stop. Benny has a good friend in Ellis. :) Great chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/22/2014 08:26 AM, lilansui said:
Benny surely has a lot of anger and frustration bottled up inside him. It rolls off him every second, I love how you write this side of him. He's simply doing his best to survive and I can't help but sympathize, I like Ellis's little joke, in the therapy session. As someone has said before, once Ellis puts his mind to it, he doesn't stop. Benny has a good friend in Ellis. :) Great chapter.
Ellis is a very good friend and very forgiving, because Benny can be a hostile ass. Of course he has a lot of reasons for it too, as we see. Thanks for the review, lilansui!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ellis and Benny have made a bit of an arc in their relationship.  I am not surprised that Ellis wants to help Benny and Yuri.  It's what Ellis loves to do.  I was a bit tickled by Ellis' approach that sounded like a psychiatrist.  I also wonder how Yuri will react to the adult, male human snake that Ellis has become.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..