Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 1,704 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unicorn Quests - 14. Chapter 14

I rushed around the rocks, still in a hurry, but I didn’t need to leap over them. It wouldn’t do to frighten it. The little Being was still there, wrapped in my cloak, ears still covering its face except for the gleam of one little eye. It shook and quivered, even wrapped up in the fabric. I hated to have to take its protection and warmth away, but I’d fix it.

“Poor thing,” Londe said when I came back into view holding it. I tucked it along my ribs under my left arm, my weaker side, and swung my cloak around my shoulders and folded it over my chest and belly. Whipping off my belt, I quickly tucked it around the fabric instead, making a small pouch.

Odd. It stopped shivering as soon as it touched me. Its flesh wasn’t cold, just the opposite, and its warmth was like a small ember against my bare skin. Was it scared? “It’s okay,” I said, stroking its fur.

“Did either of you hear what this Being is when….” I trailed off, not wanting to bring up memories of their captivity, but needing to ask. It was rare when I didn’t know what something was; I’d spent years defending the herd from outside threats from humans and other Beings. Ever since I’d been attacked and my magic changed, I’d spent even more time out among the world where I’d learned even more Beings existed than I knew.

“You shouldn’t—” Londe hissed, upset with me. His wide eyes were narrowed.

“It was just brought in by that thing that hurt Colete before you came. I don’t know if it was food, or something to sell, or what.”

“A lot of the Beings they brought in were young. Almost all of us,” Colete said. “They… they ate—” She broke off with a sob, pushing her body against Londe’s.

“There, that’s enough. No thinking about it. You’re safe. Papa and Pater are here,” he crooned, glaring at me.

Didn’t the know how much it hurt me to scare her? To damage her light any more than it already had? But this baby might have a family that missed it. If we could save it, bring them back together, wouldn’t he want to do that? Wouldn’t he have wanted someone to do that for our foals if they’d been rescued by someone else?

‘Of course I would. But they are exhausted. Colete is hurt. We need to get somewhere safe, rest, and then there will be time to help others.’

I sighed. He was right. The small Being had been with me for the last day and seemed okay as long as I kept it close. Hopefully it would continue to be all right.

“Let’s go. I will do my best to find somewhere safe without having to go too far.” I went first, taking the lead. Marces followed on my heels, Colete behind him, with Londe taking the rear to guard them from attack from behind. I kept one hand on a blade, my eyes peeled for danger and a safe resting spot for my babies and mate.

 

“Papa, can we stop now?” Colete asked, her voice reedy.

“Not yet. Soon.” I’d seen a tumble of rocks on a hill, and we were winding our way around one side now. I hoped there would be a space that we could use as shelter. They were all exhausted.

Sheer stubbornness and determination kept me pushing them forward when we came across a few places that might have worked but were less than ideal. Fortunately Londe always said the foals got that from me. Pulling myself up the last slope, I was relieved to find the dark space I’d spied was indeed a protected overhang of rock. Not deep enough to be called a cave—with the inhabitants that might shelter and I’d to roust—but deep enough to protect everyone from the weather and dangers.

The floor was mostly dirt. Not perfect, but better than nothing. “Here. We’ll rest here.”

Nothing could get us from above. Nothing from behind. I would guard the front. Colete and Marces sank to their knees, then to the ground, their legs splayed out. I went to Londe and took off the pack he was still wearing. He draped his head over my shoulder, and I took just a moment to lean against him, relishing the feeling of my mate’s closeness.

I missed brushing my body against his. Draping my head over his withers as he draped his over mine. Touching horns, the magic swirling around us with sparks and ribbons of color. I rummaged around in my pack; I had some medicine in there that would help Colete hopefully.

“Ow, Papa,” she whimpered as I pulled off the shirt. It had crusted over with blood and stuck to her in a few places.

“Sorry, baby. I need to get this off.” Using some water, I loosened the last edge and pulled it off. “This is going to feel so much better.”

The raw weals were deep in the center, shallower on the edges. I smoothed thick gobs of the unguent across them with trembling fingers, trying not to actually touch the wounds. The numbing worked on my fingertips, numbing them too.

“Oh…” Her muscles eased, the tiny trembles gentling as Colete closed her eyes. Her brother nuzzled her, brushing some mane away from her cheek.

“You two get some sleep,” Londe said. “You earned it.”

“I’m taking first watch. You sleep too.” I rewrapped my shirt around Colete’s neck, then put away my medical kit. “They need you close.”

“They need us both,” Londe rebutted.

“Yes, but I need to do this.” As exhausted as I was, I wouldn’t be able to sleep for some time. The battle adrenaline was still coursing through my veins. I settled against the mouth of the overhang, and finally pulled out my little fuzzy ball of a hitchhiker.

“So… do you talk?”

Copyright © 2019 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 13
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The tiny being seems to have bonded with our hero, judging from the reaction. Now we'll have to wait to see if Furby can talk.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Finally some rest! I wonder if it was the creature which was so important the the evil Being's master? It would be great if it could introduce itself. But that would probably be too easy...  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 2/5/2020 at 1:40 AM, drpaladin said:

The tiny being seems to have bonded with our hero, judging from the reaction. Now we'll have to wait to see if Furby can talk.

He's so cute. I guess I just can't avoid putting in cute little characters. Didn't consciously make him a Furby, but that kinda fits, LOL

On 2/6/2020 at 1:24 PM, Puppilull said:

Finally some rest! I wonder if it was the creature which was so important the the evil Being's master? It would be great if it could introduce itself. But that would probably be too easy...  

Yes, they deserve it. Just why is it so important? That will be revealed, but how? Can it speak? Hm.... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..