Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 996 Words
  • 1,887 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unicorn Quests - 10. Chapter 10

“Show!” Female troll demanded, spit spraying from her thick lips and over her chin and overly-large chest. “Want to see pretties.”

I only barely opened the bag, pulling out a single stone. Holding it between my forefinger and thumb, I exposed it to the light from their fire. The facets glinted, shining in a unique bright red with almost an inner radiance. “See the pretty. And this is just one.” I hefted the bag, then tucked it beneath my shirt, making a show of straightening my weapon belt at my hip.

“Wants it,” Female troll said. She smacked the still grumbling troll that was rubbing his eyes on the head with one fist. “Gets it. Need new pretties!”

“Ow! Ger’off me! You gets it.” He picked up a stick and stabbed it in the fire, and the gem in my hand actually sent a shaft of red light bouncing around the cave.

She clasped her hands together, rocking from side to side. “Pretties for me, pretties for me.”

Dear gods, these things were stupid.

“I wants some too!” That was the other one, who’d lumbered up and around first. He was smaller than the other two. Younger, maybe? He fingered a hole in his thick ear, the rubbery flesh nicked and scored in several places. “Put it in my hole. Fill it up good!”

Choking back a sound I couldn’t quite suppress, I closed my fist around the gem when the trolls both got closer. The female had moved and exposed one cage with a very interesting Being inside. “Trade!”

“What?” Female troll waved her hand around the cave while smaller troll clenched his fingers and stared at my hand. “Armor? Swords?” She eyed my feet. “Boots?”

My shoes wouldn’t last long if I wasn’t on a horse, or unicorn, but I wouldn’t give any knowledge about me. “No.” I turned toward the wall where the foals were, but I didn’t ask for them. I knew better.

“All the Beings.”

The trio of gasps and grunts and bellows of outrage let out more noxious fumes into the air. I blinked, then shifted my weapons belt again.

“Ha! Ha! Ha!” The big troll laughed, ugly, hacking miserable sounds of amusement. It was fake, obvious by his instant sneer and sharp reply. “No.”

I moved closer to the fire, reaching for the bag inside my shirt. I loosened in and spilled a few more diamonds into my palm. The fire made them shine, and I squinted. The trolls moved in closer, drawn inexorably by the precious stones and their own well-known greed. “Are you sure? I have many.” A small flex of my palm sent a glitter of red over their faces, the walls, and the roof of the cave. “See how they are cut? How they catch the light?”

Their stench was nearly unbearable, but they hovered as close to me as I was probably going to get them. I thought I’d trade straight across for the foals, but now I knew I had to do more. Throwing up my free arm, I covered my eyes, then tossed the diamonds into the fire along with the handful of powder cradled in my palm under them.

Nothing like still holding onto my work supplies to deal with a sudden dilemma. The powder flared, catching fire in a huge bonfire of blue sparks. I’d jumped back as soon as I threw the gems, but the trolls, crying out at the loss of the sparklies, had moved forward.

Toward the fire.

And the sparks.

Greasy troll skin and hair catches fire and does not go out. They screamed and shrieked, blubbering as they ran for the exit and away from the fire. I ran toward the cages, skirting the fire and trying not to breathe in the fumes.

As much as I longed to get the foals, I needed help. I opened two cages with nimble-fingered dwarf women, deftly popping the locks with one of my swords. “Help get them out!”

“But the fire,” one croaked.

“Will spread like normal fire without those ignorant trolls stumbling around. I rescued you so you could help me rescue them. Just hurry.” There was so many cages, so many Beings. Many of the cages were wood, a few metal. I popped locks and let the dwarves open the cages with the Beings who had no hands.

In one, there was even a tiny Being I didn’t recognize. It was curled up, large ears folded over its face, fur covering its body. It refused to budge when I opened the cage door. Scooping it up, hoping it wouldn’t bite me, I ran for the pen. There was a faun, its hands shackled, also locked up with the foals.

“Help, help us!” A tendril of the fire was starting to burn along the nasty bedding the trolls had been using, and it wasn’t too far from the pen.

“Stand back.” They listened to my order, thankfully, and moved away from the gate. I reared back and pivoted on one heel, slamming my boot into the post holding the gate to the side of the fence. It splintered, then caved on the second kick. One hand still cradling the tiny Being to my side, I lifted the gate out of the post hole. It skidded across the floor and then stopped, leaving more than enough room for the foals to escape.

“Papa, Papa!” they cried.

Thank goodness they’d been smart enough not to say my name when I came in; I hadn’t even thought about that.

“Go! Your pater is waiting outside, hiding. Flee straight away from the hill and then veer left at the stream. He will be there.”

I tried to make sure there was no one else hiding or refusing to leave their cages. The rest of the abominable things stood empty, and the cave was rapidly emptying of everything but smoke.

Time to follow my foals. I’d finally saved them.

Copyright © 2019 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The almost impossible plan seems to have worked, at least for now. Good thing trolls are so stupid, but I doubt it's over so soon. They still need to get away.

There must be quite a story behind the unusual being he's carrying to safety. He's never seen one of their kind, which likely indicates rarity.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

"Time to follow my foals. I’d finally saved them."

 

....or not. Too neat and tidy of an ending, and a mysterious Being that we know nothing about...yet.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

They were his foals! I always imagined a rescue mission for the foals of the herd (If unicorns live in herds...). That made his situation even more emotional. I hope they get out quick. Those trolls are hardly all alone. Or? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 1/8/2020 at 1:58 AM, drpaladin said:

The almost impossible plan seems to have worked, at least for now. Good thing trolls are so stupid, but I doubt it's over so soon. They still need to get away.

There must be quite a story behind the unusual being he's carrying to safety. He's never seen one of their kind, which likely indicates rarity.

They were stupid, and yes, that little Being... well, I don't want to spoil anything. :P There are a LOT more Beings involved in this part of the story that readers haven't met yet. 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, Efmaer said:

"Time to follow my foals. I’d finally saved them."

....or not. Too neat and tidy of an ending, and a mysterious Being that we know nothing about...yet.

Well, you know me... I don't tend to wrap things up in a bow all that easy for my characters, LOL! So evil. 😈

On 1/8/2020 at 5:50 PM, ChelleShockd4 said:

They called him "Papa"!! Oh! My feels!😭🥰🤗

Papa.... ahhh, the love, right? They're young, and traumatized, and he's wanted nothing more than to make them safe. Now he can! 

On 1/10/2020 at 3:43 AM, Puppilull said:

They were his foals! I always imagined a rescue mission for the foals of the herd (If unicorns live in herds...). That made his situation even more emotional. I hope they get out quick. Those trolls are hardly all alone. Or? 

Ahhh, I kept that part subtle. And... are the trolls alone? They love treasure... what is with all the Beings? Hmmmmm..... ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 3/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, comicfan said:

Aww. He has a big heart.

Yes, he does. Just a big ole softie protector. So definitely want to stay on his good side. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Yay!! :D  The foals and Beings are saved :D  Now I'm curious about the Being he didn't recognize.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..