Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 287 Words
  • 3,590 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of Three Worlds - Prologue. Prologue: Dreams Crashing Down

An overview of the future....

The Age of Industrialization…a lot of images come to mind from those words: steam-ships driven by huge paddle-wheels and tall smoke-stacks; soot-covered brick factories belching smoke from giant chimneys to spread across narrow-fronted terraced houses where people eked out their lives for a meager wage; women and children laboring in crowded factories among clattering looms; the blackened faces of men and boys emerging from deep coal shafts, squinting in the light of a smoky day, grateful for living to see the surface once more.

Decades later, sprawling, crowded cities teeming with automobiles without number, putting out their own noxious fumes into air, which Nature had intended to be pure and refreshing for all her creatures. The growth of slums teeming with countless souls with no hope of work, clean water, adequate food or safe housing…or any chance at an education leading to a way out. The growth of Man’s fields and towns to support increasing numbers while woods and wilds steadily declined, their hidden treasures, which might have alleviated some misery, lost before it could be found.

Progress, the Curse and the Hope of Mankind…in a grim age where deserts are spreading and ice is almost unknown in the remote reaches of the struggling world, Fate brings forth not one, but two men who have the power to alter things for the better, if Society will listen, and be willing to follow a new drummer.

Those men are Ernst-Karl Hallbach and Jakob Sommers…and things will be different if they should meet; one the scion of an Industrialist clan, the other a driven Eco-Engineer.

Mankind is about to reach a Turning Point, but it hinges on these two meeting, and what they feel about each other….

Copyright © 2017 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ohh, sounds interesting. You forgot overpopulation, though. The main probem of mankind: we're too succesful and breed too much.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 10/02/2015 01:15 AM, Timothy M. said:

Ohh, sounds interesting. You forgot overpopulation, though. The main probem of mankind: we're too succesful and breed too much.

Fear not, Tim...that's brought up in the first chapter. :) I hope you enjoy it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great intro, CG. You cover a lot in a concise way. It's a great setup that intrigues.... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 10/02/2015 04:17 AM, Headstall said:

Great intro, CG. You cover a lot in a concise way. It's a great setup that intrigues.... cheers... Gary...

Thanks Gary. I'm going to do my best to keep this one to something near prompt-length chapters. Hopefully I can keep it interesting that way...I think the Neanderthals will help with that. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well .. that was interesting. I'm curious about these two that must meet... very curious.
Nice job, CG!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 10/31/2015 03:17 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Well .. that was interesting. I'm curious about these two that must meet... very curious.

Nice job, CG!!

Thanks Tim. I just did some research for the next 'fragment'...hope to write it tomorrow. Ernst and Jakob are going to do big things which will impact the world...working out the details of how they start off together.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..