Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 7,160 Words
  • 18,942 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

01 The One I Want - 1. Dinner with Gran

Starting with the fluff. Angst and Drama coming up! This story has been revised for continuity concerns.

Discuss the story here: http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/29715-the-one-i-want/

Chapter 1: Dinner with Gran
Introducing Ben & Rick

Stumbling around the corner towards his apartment complex, arms laden with heavy groceries in their doubled-paper sacks, Ben saw a curious sight: a man, wearing what could only be described as a salmon-pink shirt. He had loose, white, draw-string pants and Berkenstocks, and stood next to Angie, the gate-guard, holding one end of a dark purple leash. On the end of the leash was a cat. A black and white cat, to be exact, which was currently belly-up in the hyacinths scratching its back in the thick, black loam. The man himself was slightly taller than Ben; the top of Angie's head came to his shoulders, which seemed monstrously broad. He held himself as if it were no big deal that he was out, walking a cat -- a cat! -- and wearing pink. They were in the shade of the little gate-house, so the man's sunglasses were perched on his forehead, nestled in thick, shaggy, dark-brown hair.

He turned as Angie gestured about something and Ben got a great look at a really, really, really fine ass. His mind went on hiatus.

Ben dashed across the street, stopping beside the two, and babbled incoherently for a minute; the only thing that made sense out of the whole spiel was, "Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Excuse me?" replied the man while Angie caterwauled with laughter.

Ben flushed. The stranger's eyebrows had disappeared into his hairline. His lips twitched, however, and his eyes, which were a light brown, twinkled.

"Er, uh, my grandmother's coming, IsworeI'dhaveadatebutmyfriendhadtogoout-of-town, I'veneverbeensodesperateinmylife -- please!"

Rick had walked this street and come up this corner almost every day since September. He could not remember ever seeing this man before. He had caramel-colored hair, cut almost severely, streaked with darker brown and blonde highlights and slathered with gel to stand up on the top in mini-spikes. He wore a diamond stud in one ear and the blue eyes peering over the towering sacks of groceries were just too precious. He wanted most desperately to laugh. Normally, Rick was the one doing the asking, but, of all the pick-up lines he'd ever been offered, masquerading as a boyfriend for a total stranger's grandmother totally took the cake. He made a show of being undecided.

"What are you cooking?"

The reply was just as garbled as the first verbal torrent, but Rick caught enough to understand it would be something of a Southern variety, with pork chops. All the while, those blue eyes dashed hither and yon as if the indomitable matriarch could pop out from behind a bush or palm tree at any second.

"Well, I really should work on my thesis tonight --"

Ben's mouth again flapped open of its own accord, "N-no, please, you don't understand! She'll be here in less than two hours! Where else am I going to find someone else in two hours! This is a disaster! I can't just have nobody, I --"

Mr. Salmon-Pink Shirt opened his mouth in deep, hearty laughter, cutting him off. He'd spoken with a middle tenor, but his laugh went slightly lower in octave and Ben held his breath in awe. It was the most beautiful sound he'd ever heard.

"Okay, okay," said Rick when he could finally rein himself in. He thought for a moment he had offended his pseudo-date, but the flush of red cheeks and wide eyes made him smile wickedly. Rick well knew the effect he could have on people when he chose. One did not teach eighteen-year-olds for a living without being aware of what buttons one could and could not press. So, he dusted imaginary dirt off his pants, scooped Tyler out of the flower bed, and started down the sidewalk.

"I'll see you in an hour then."

He waved, and Ben just stood there for a minute as --

"Oh. My. God."

Angie, who had all this time been snickering into the palm of her hand, met Ben's panicked gaze with confusion. "What?"

"I just asked a total-fucking-stranger to dinner! With my grandmother! Oh my God, oh my God, I am so doomed! Doomed! I am never going to live this down, she'll heckle me even from beyond the grave! Fuck! I didn't even ask his name!"

"It's Rick, and he's a professor at USC."

"Shit, what?"

"I said --"

"I heard. How do you know that?"

She frowned at him and sighed. "Doc, he walks by here every day. Did you see Tyler? Isn't he cute?"

"Oh, God! He must think I'm a total spaz!"

"Not totally," she laughed, "or he wouldn't have said yes, now would he?"

"Fuck, what am I going to do? There's never been anybody in my house before, and my gran's going to be here soon and I haven't done anything all day and there's --"

"Doc!"

Ben halted, breathing hard and leaning forward slightly to see Angie through his arms of groceries.

"Hadn't you better get started? Cooking, that is?"

"Oh, shit, you're right! You'll let him in, right? Tell him which one? I shouldn't want him to --"

"Yes, yes, Doc, I will, don't worry about it. Now get going."

Ben lived in a gated community of town home-style apartments. The outside was as well-manicured as a botanical garden and somehow Rick didn't think the man mowed the grass himself. The opulence gave him pause when he showed up an hour or so later and he scanned his attire again before he knocked. He had on gray slacks now and his only silk shirt, a deep green. He still wore his sandals, but he'd left his shades at home and had even taken a brush through his unruly hair.

"Come in!" was the response to his knock, so Rick fingered the latch and stepped into the entrance way. He kicked off his sandals, dumped his backpack on top, and sniffed appreciatively.

"Smells good!" he called, following his nose across a living room that could have fit his entire studio apartment with room to spare. He shuffled his feet luxuriously in the plush, silver-blue carpet, trailed a hand along a black leather sofa, and ducked through an archway into the separate dining room and attached kitchen. The table was already set, and Rick almost laughed to recognize the Corell pattern, sitting smugly in the center of wine-red place mats. The cupboard in the corner held the remainder of the unbreakable dishes, glassware, and, from the bit of cloth showing out of one of the drawers, more place mats and cloth napkins.

He pulled the scotch out of the paper sack he held and set that on the bar. From under his arm he produced the eight-inch-round ice-cream cake. "I'll just put this in the freezer, and get out of your way."

"What?" Ben paused in his tornado of activity to stare at his visitor. His mouth dropped open again. "Oh my God, you're fantastic! I just realized I don't have any caramel, and how else am I going to serve the tarts without the cream and for sure you can't not have dessert and what am I going to do now with all those apples and the ice--" He stopped, staring at the inscription on the top, wincing slightly. "Please tell me it's not your birthday."

Rick grinned. "It's not."

"Oh, good."

Then he turned over his wrist to look at his watch. "At least not for another, oh, twenty-five hours or so."

"What? Oh, God!"

"Relax. My plans are for tomorrow, not tonight, and I'll have another one for the party, anyway. My friend owns a bakery."

Ben took the proffered dessert warily. "It looks great. What is it?"

"Mocha ice-cream, cherry filling, and chocolate icing. Hmm, I take it you're more a tea person?"

Ben blushed. "Guilty as charged. Earl Grey, milk and two sugars."

"Blech."

"Yeah, well, that's one more thing you can blame on Gran. She raised me and my sis." Opening the freezer, he popped the dish on top of a stack of frozen pizzas, squished in between frozen fruit and hot pockets. He took a second to lean against the black door and actually look at his guest. Rick looked terrific!

"I'm, uh, Ben," he introduced himself. "Benjamin Blythe. Thank you so much for doing this!"

Rick grinned and shook Ben's hand. "Fredrick Wengstrom, but call me Rick. Are you a doctor? Angie calls you 'Doc.'"

Ben laughed, blushing in embarrassment. "Uh, no, that's just -- it's, uh, it's my handle."

"Oh?" asked Rick, noting the renewed flush with interest. "And just what do you do?"

"Me and my partners run an internet company," he answered, somewhat weakly. You'd think after so long he'd be better at this.

"What kind?"

The blush darkened. "Um, the dating kind."

Rick couldn't help the grin that stretched across his face. "You run an internet dating service and you couldn't find a date?" he teased.

"I had a date!" snapped Ben. "He just couldn't make it."

"Uh-huh." Rick placed one palm on the wall by Ben's head, leaning in. "So, what exactly is this handle, then?"

"Um, um, oh God. It's -- it's stupid, really, I was really young, and --"

"Not like you're so ancient now," said Rick.

"N-no, I suppose not."

"So, what is it?"

Ben wanted to melt into the tile of the floor. "Um ... Love Doctor," he murmured, staring at his feet.

"That's so cute," said Rick. He ruffled the spiky hair and stepped back. Rooting around in the 'china' cabinet, he pulled out some glasses and poured two shots of scotch. "So. Tell me about this relationship we're in. I'm assuming you have some sort of story? How long have we been dating?"

Ben busied himself again with food preparation. "Um, six months?"

"Really?"

"Y-yeah, see, my friends got married and I decided to move out, that was kind of awkward, the three of us, but we'd been together since college and, well, it just seemed the right time, what with the baby coming and all and I didn't want a housewarming, I hate parties, and, um, my gran's real nosy."

Rick handed Ben a glass.

"I don't drink."

"Ben," he replied. "Trust me. You need to loosen up. Drink it and calm down. I don't bite." He smirked. "Unless you're into that sort of thing." He grinned at the startled, wide-eyed look he received.

"Um, n-no." Ben took the drink cautiously, downing it in a gulp like he'd seen in movies. He saw Rick move to stop him, in the split-second before his eyes started to water and the insides of his chest seemed to burst into flames.

Rick nearly snorted his drink. Setting the liquor shakily on the counter, he could only laugh. He ruffled Ben's hair again when he stopped gasping and wheezing. "You are too cute." He gazed at him, perplexed, for a moment. "Are you sure you're single?"

"I ... I, um, yeah, I work a lot." Ben turned on the tap to take a couple of swift mouthfuls, uncertain of his ability to maintain his cool with his chest on fire. He wiped his face on a paper towel. "You?"

Shrugging, Rick leaned against the bar. "Yep. No serious relationships. Been too busy with school."

"Angie said you were a professor?"

"Kind of. I'm a doctoral student at USC. I teach two courses on the classics. My thesis is on the effects of literature on culture."

"You teach English?"

"Yep. Assuming I successfully defend my thesis, I'll be a full-on professor in the fall, with a full course load. I've only got two classes at the moment, but they've promised me a creative writing class next year."

"Wow, that's amazing. Are you published?"

"Some small stuff, here and there, nothing exciting. Is it okay if I take a look around? I want to actually seem like I've been here before."

"Um, sure, dinner should be ready in about twenty-five minutes." He looked at the clock hanging on the wall. "Which should," he muttered, "be five minutes after my grandmother gets here."

Shaking his head slightly, Rick went back to the entrance way to grab his bag. He was glad he'd come prepared. Ben's apartment looked more like a showroom than a place someone actually lived. The only thing that gave the place life was a large, faux-antique photo hanging above the fireplace. In it, a stern-faced, but gentle-seeming older woman sat in a chair with a cane flanked by Ben on her right, and a lovely pre-teen girl clutching the armrest on her left. They were dressed in Victorian-era clothes and the photo itself had just a hint of brown tone to allude to age. The frame was tarnished silver. It was all really rather charming.

Off the entrance way was an office. The desk was c-shaped, with a huge bookshelf-contraption on one side against the wall. The leather chair faced a computer with three different screens. Papers, notepads, and other gobbly-gook littered the top. Books on various programming languages were crammed next to texts on psychology on the shelving unit and the closet held meticulously-labeled files, evidently the overflow from the two black monstrosities in the corner. Rick turned the light back off and retreated.

The next door led into the bedroom. He smiled in mischievous delight at the four-poster with its large wooden headboard and thick, red, goose-down comforter. He jumped on top with a running leap, scattering pillows and untucking the meticulously-made sheets with their hospital corners. A few scattered belongings from Rick's bag and he was satisfied. He went into the adjoining bathroom. Another well-used toothbrush went alongside the other in the holder, magazines in the rack by the toilet, and a few other odds and ends. There was a second door back out into the hallway. Three more doors; one held a linen closet and vertical-stacked, washer/dryer combo, another the water heater, and the third went into the garage. The only things in there were a motorcycle, a surfboard, and a snowboard hanging from hooks in the wall.

Rick stared at the surfboard for a minute. His first impression of Ben had been the stereotypical California surfer-dude, but he was a little nonplussed to find that his suspicions were true. Ben really didn't seem laid-back enough to be a surfer. And the motorcycle? Also not what he had expected.

He went back inside and up the stairs to the loft. This room was open with a banister over the living room, covering the entirety of the rest of the downstairs. It even had its own half-bath. A pool table rested under a low-hanging light in the corner, and a big, flat-screen t.v. hung on the wall in front of an old, but apparently well-loved sleeper-sofa. The remote rested in the crack of a hard-back book lying open on the coffee table. There was an impressive stereo system on one side and a cabinet full of DVDs and a mini fridge stocked with ... soda? Soda. Wow.

But Rick found himself most impressed by the stuffed bookshelf under the large, picture window.

Shrugging, Rick threw some more of his belongings about and returned downstairs. He tossed the now-empty bag into the front closet. Going back into the kitchen, he said, "I didn't take you for a guy who'd be into Westerns."

"Are you kidding?" asked Ben, sipping on a wooden spoon. "What's not to love? Clint and Wayne are like the awesomest."

"Right." He watched Ben fuss around the kitchen for a minute. "And the surfboard?"

"Oh." To Rick's delight, Ben blushed again. "Yeah, well, it's hard to grow up in L.A. without learning how to surf."

"Do you still?"

"Yup. Every Sunday. It'd be hard to resist, anyway, the beach's only a couple miles away."

"I'd noticed," said Rick dryly.

"Oh, um, yeah, I guess so," mumbled Ben, remembering that Rick obviously lived close enough to walk here. "Um, I jog down on the strand in the mornings, but Sundays Doug and I surf. The agency is closed on Sundays." He put the lid back on the bisque and checked his vegis. "So, um, what do you think?"

"This place is really amazing. I shudder to think what you're paying for it."

Ben grimaced. "Yeah, well, after being crammed into Doug and Shelly's place for so long, I wanted some space. Besides, we'd just gotten bought out and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. This seemed like a good investment."

"You own it?" Rick raised an eyebrow. This kid must come from money.

"Yeah. This section down on the end is all condos."

Rick dropped some ice into his scotch. "Well, the workaholic aspect helps explain why you're still single. Lived in L.A. your whole life, then?"

"Um, yeah. College in San-Fran, but came back here when we were done."

"We?"

"Doug, Shelly, and me. Doug's the real master-mind. He deals with the clients. I code, mostly." That lie was easier, since it was mostly true. "Shelly's got an MBA, so she does all the books and sees that we all get paid. She was the one who dictated the terms of our acquisition. Really sweet deal, considering that the only thing that really changed was the name and some of the terms of service. What about you?"

"Southern boy," said Rick. "From North Caro --"

The doorbell cut him off. Ben's eyes darted to the clock. "Oh, shit! She's early! Fuck, of course she's early, Gran's always early, oh my god, she's early, nothing's ready, I'm dead, so dead, she's going to eat me alive! Oh god, ohgodohgod! Always be prepared! Yeah, right, be prepared, I'll pre -- mmpf!"

A flustered Ben was really just too irresistible for Rick. He snagged the slimmer, shorter man as he dashed madly around the kitchen, and claimed his lips for a kiss. Red sauce dripped unnoticed on the tile as Ben tangled his other hand in Rick's hair. In the heat of the kitchen, Rick's hands felt clammy and cool. Firm fingers massaged the tense muscles at the back of his neck and the other dipped under his shirt to press against Ben's back and bring them almost indecently close together.

Ben hadn't been kissed in ages. His mind's split-second of denial and struggle was almost instantly overcome by his body going, "Hell, yeah!" and he melted into Rick's embrace, forgetting everything for a moment, which was, of course, the point.

"Oh, how cute! Gran, come quick!"

Ben tore himself away with a smack, of lips and of the wooden spoon impacting his face. "Genny! What the -- what are you doing here? Fuck! I don't have enough food!"

"Benjamin Oliver!" an older, female voice cut him off. "Is that any kind of language to use when there are ladies present? Do I need to wash your mouth out with soap?"

Ben gulped. "Um, um, n-no, Gran! No, I --"

"Then you get on out here and give me a proper welcome. Imagine! Letting an old woman freeze to death on your front stoop."

Ben sighed, his body tensing up in nerves even as he smiled a little and rolled his eyes. "You're not old, Gran!"

"Never argue with a woman about her age! Now get on out here."

Rick plucked the spoon out of Ben's hand as he went by and was left staring at a young woman with bleach-blonde hair who only vaguely resembled the little girl in the portrait. Were they really related? She didn't look a thing like Ben. Maybe they were one of those Hollywood adoptive families.

"I'm Genny," she said. "Genny with a G."

"Rick," he replied, shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Genny-with-a-G. You must be the sister."

She giggled. "That's me!" Her cheerful exterior hid calculating eyes, a gaze Rick met and returned squarely, and some of Genny's suspicions eased. She was delighted her brother was dating again, though she'd worried since he wasn't usually so tight-lipped and evasive.

Rick set the spoon into the spoon-rest and followed Genny into the living room to meet the ... formidable grandmother? His smile blossomed again as he saw her. This woman reminded him of a pair of elderly spinsters from his own childhood. They'd been true Southern Belles, straight out of Gone with the Wind.

"Evening, Ma'am," he said, kissing her hand with a small bow and avoiding Ben's still-sauce-smeared face and fluttery fidgeting. Rick knew that if he looked over at him, he'd start laughing and laughing would totally blow the whole attempt at schmoozing.

Gran laughed, delighted at the old-fashioned manners. "Sweetie, you can just call me Mimi. Now, tell me where my grandson picked up such a charmer?"

"We just happened to run into each other one day," he answered smoothly, aware that Ben's eyes had gone round in alarm.

"Oh, fate! How precious." She beamed up at him, liking what she saw and heard, the barely there accent softening a voice that could all too easily be harsh. For all his size, Rick seemed gentle and she hoped that this first impression would prove true, because her grandson, even after all he'd survived, was a gentle soul, and she wanted this new man to be real.

"This, uh, this's Rick, Gran," stammered Ben.

"Frederick Wengstrom, Ma'am, at your service."

"German?"

"Yes, Ma'am, and a good ol' Southern boy. Can I get you a drink? There's wine, or some finely aged scotch in the kitchen."

"I'll take a scotch, young man. On the rocks." She sniffed. "Is something burning?"

"Oh, Christ!" Ben exclaimed. He dashed back into the kitchen.

"Benjamin!" gasped Gran.

Genny laughed. Both women followed Rick into the dining room. They chatted merrily while Genny fished a fourth set of plates and utensils from the cabinet and Rick poured more scotch, and a glass of merlot for Genny. Then he maneuvered them back away from the whirlwind of activity that was Ben, and offered to show them around.

Ben kept one ear on their progress from the kitchen. There were the expected ohs and ahs, and then a shriek of laughter from Genny followed by a growled, "Benjamin!" from Gran. He froze.

What? he thought. What did I forget? Dusting? No, no, I dusted everything. Made the bed? Check. Under the bed? Check. Toilet? Check. Vacuum? Check. Shit, is there hair in the sink?

He ran his to-do list through his head. He'd been in a cleaning frenzy all the night before and would have been this morning but for Doug's plea that he come by the office, for just a few minutes, only he'd ended up staying all day, hence the panic at feeling like he was up against a firing squad at, literally, the last second.

"Oh, Benji, that's so cute!" he heard Genny exclaim at some point. He groaned and rescued his pork chops from the frying pan. Shaky hands were setting out laden plates of food by the time the group clattered back downstairs.

Gran reached over and thumped her grandson on the back of the head as he held out a chair for her. "Didn't I teach you not to leave your underthings just out for everyone to see?"

"No -- uh, I mean, yes, Gran, I -- wait, what?"

Genny was giggling and Rick winked at Ben as he helped her into her seat.

"Manners! Manners, boy!" said Gran, taking her chair with all the elegance of a queen onto her throne. Ben snapped back into action.

He went to sit down, but Rick captured him first. Ben tried to push him away, but Rick held him tight, licking -- oh my God! -- licking Ben's forehead and eyebrow. Wild-eyed, he stared at the man when released, wondering just what kind of crackpot licks -- licks! -- a man in front of his little sister and grandmother.

"Tasty," said Rick evilly, giving Ben a smirk. Then he sat down, as if nothing whatsoever untoward had happened.

Ben flopped into his chair, and then immediately jumped up again to fetch the wine. Rick rescued the bottle from his shaking fingers and poured. Sitting in his chair, Ben picked up his spoon, staring at his cajun-style shrimp bisque. He looked up at Gran's reproving, clucking noise, to see everyone else staring at him, waiting, hands clasped. Dropping the spoon with a clatter, and another death-glare from Gran, Ben said a hasty prayer and added another silent appeal to all the gods that might be, or had ever been, in heaven to save him from making a complete and utter ass of himself.

Maybe his prayer was answered or maybe Rick was just an angel in disguise. He deftly dodged Gran's inquisitorial approach, steering the conversation away from Ben and to himself time after time. He regaled Gran and Genny with tales of his students and funny excerpts from test papers and essays. He spoke about his thesis and his plans for the coming year, and then, as Ben rose to fetch the main course, maple-glazed boneless pork chops atop rounds of garlic toast, mixed sauteed vegetables, and thin strips of jicama, Rick ever-so-casually mentioned that he played rugby.

"Oooh, isn't that dangerous?" asked Genny.

"A true man's sport," said Gran, eyeing Ben.

"Do you ever watch him play?" Genny asked Ben.

"Uh ...."

"Oh, no," Rick told them with a wink. "Watching makes Ben squeamish."

That started a round of 'let's make fun of Ben,' which Genny had always loved to do and had now seemed to find an enabler in Rick. Through it all, the taller, darker-haired man flashed irrepressible grins and winks at Ben and fondled his calves with his toes under the table. Gran sat quietly, making few comments, but she at least didn't confine her digs to anyone in particular, even bringing up long-dead ancestors to abuse.

Then, oh God, and then, as Ben started to serve the salad, Genny said something about 'yaoi,' whatever that was, Rick went, "Oh, really?" and the conversation spiraled into something that Ben could only classify, somewhat shakily, as cartoon porn. What was really scary, though, was how knowledgeable Rick seemed to be on the subject.

Gran leaned across the table to pat the back of Ben's hand. "Why don't you pour me another scotch, dear?"

He got up rather shakily and meanwhile Rick was saying, "If I had a hot half-demon fighting over me, heck, I'd just let him win," and he gave Ben a rather lewd smirk from where he was trying to hide in the kitchen. Ben poured the scotch and drank it, coughing weakly and rubbing watery eyes.

"Do you need a hand with the cake?" called Rick, when it looked like Ben was never coming back to the table.

"Cake?" cried Genny. "What cake? Whose cake, oooh, is this a special occasion?"

Rick rose. "It's my birthday tomorrow. Hm. Technically Sunday, I suppose. Does anyone want coffee? Or tea?"

"Just scotch," said Gran.

"No, thanks," said Genny. "But I'll take a coke or pepsi or whatever. Anything dark, really. I know Ben's got some. He's like a soda-holic."

When Rick entered the kitchen, Ben was leaning, eyes glazed, against the refrigerator, hidden from view of the dining room by the pantry. The scotch bottle and an empty glass were clutched in white-knuckled fingers. Rick pried them out of his grip, returning the alcohol to a safe location, and gathered Ben to his chest, rubbing his back.

"You have a really nice family."

"Guh ...."

"They obviously adore you."

"Sh-sh-sure."

"Your gran reminds me of home." He kept his envy tightly contained. His family didn't know; Rick had hidden his sexuality from the time he really understood what it meant to be different.

Ben looked up. "Home?"

"Yeah. Dirt roads and farmhouses and roosters instead of alarm clocks." He tilted Ben's chin, nibbling on his lips. "The food was great, just like Mom used to make." He could taste the alcohol, blending deliciously with the sweet sauce from the pork chops and he leaned back, drawing Ben with him to rest against the pantry door. Ben relaxed again under Rick's tender ministrations, falling limply against him, arms wrapping around Rick's neck.

"You guys are like rabbits," said Genny.

"Gen!" Ben's eyes popped open as he startled, jumping away. Rick caught him, laughing, and spun him around for another stolen kiss.

"Geez," continued Genny. "How often do you guys do it, anyway?"

Ben's mouth opened and closed a few times, but nothing came out.

"Oh, I dunno," Rick answered. "I think our record is five. Hmm, or was it six? Don't know if that time in the jacuzzi counts." He winked. "No penetration."

"What?" cried Ben. He smacked Rick. "That's my little sister you're talking to! Shit, man!" He cringed to another cry of, "Benjamin!" from the other room, but continued glaring at Rick. Both he and Genny were laughing.

"Just teasing, babe," said Rick, slapping Ben lightly on the butt. Ben jumped, yelping and sending Genny into more convulsions of laughter.

"What are you kids doing in there?"

"Nothing, Gran!" Ben called, hissing, "Asshole," at Rick.

Rick leaned forward, to whisper in his ear, "That's kind of the idea, isn't it?"

Ben had not quite mastered the art of his grandmother's death glare.

They sang 'Happy Birthday' (badly) and retired to the living room for more drinks and chat, but before long Genny started yawning and the round of farewells began. Ben finally closed the door on the two women after promising to bring Rick to his grandmother's annual Fourth of July barbecue and after Genny had managed to get herself invited to Rick's birthday bash the following night. Ben put his back to the door, eyes closed, thanking GOD that they were finally gone.

"Now," said Rick softly, putting both hands to either side of Ben's head and leaning in closer, "was that really so bad?"

Ben's baby blues, slightly dilated from alcohol consumption, stared up at him. "N-no," he murmured. "I guess not. I guess ... that you need to get going, too, huh?"

"Oh, I think I can at least help you clean up a little. Let them get safely away and all. Mmm, what do you say?"

"That's, er, okay with me."

"Good. And I think I'll start right here."

Leaning a little closer, Rick drew his tongue along Ben's lips, tasting the chocolate still in the corners. He dropped his hips, sliding against Ben seductively.

"This really was a most enjoyable evening," he whispered. "Thank you."

"Y-you're welcome."

Rick drew back, clapping his hands together and making Ben jump. "Right. So what next?"

"Next?"

"I'm assuming you have a dishwasher?"

Ben blinked cutely, his mind about as far from dinner clean-up as could be. "Um ...."

"Or did you have something else in mind?"

Ben couldn't stop staring at those lips. He was afraid to step away from the door, wondering if he'd be able to stand if he relinquished its support. His whole body was tingling from Rick's previously close proximity. "Er ...."

I have a gorgeous guy in my house, thought Ben. I know more about him than my last boyfriend ... and he's volunteering to do the dishes. What the fuck is wrong with me that I'm just standing here? He's been putting the moves on me all night! Right? Or is that just really good acting? He wowed Gran and Genny's totally in love with him already ....

Rick tapped Ben in the forehead. "Yoo-hoo, Earth to Ben, you in there?" He grinned back as Ben blinked dazedly back at him.

"Um ...."

"I said, 'Do you know what you want?'"

"... Yeah."

Rick scratched his head, wondering how much Ben had had to drink. He looked either plastered or high, and neither was particularly conducive to his plans for the rest of the night. "Um, Ben?"

"Yeah?"

"You kinda have to move away from the door if we're going out."

Ben blinked. "Going out?" He saw that Rick had his Berkenstocks on again and was holding a light jacket.

"Do you not want to go anymore?"

"Go?"

"Yes, Ben." Rick sighed. "Never mind. I'll just see you tomorrow. Shall I pick you up at seven?"

"Um ... okay." Ben frowned, puzzled. Did I miss something?

Disappointed, but no less amused, Rick gave Ben a light peck on his wrinkled forehead. Gently, he steered him away from the door. "Okay, then. See you tomorrow."

The door closed.

"Yeah, sure," murmured Ben. "Hey!" He yanked the door open. "Hey!" he said again.

Rick paused. He turned around, eyebrow arched in query.

"Aren't you -- well, I -- you call that a goodnight kiss?"

"It's late, Ben, and you're drunk."

"Am not! Come back here."

He really is cute, thought Rick. Smiling, he decided to humor Ben and went back up the walk. He stopped just on the lip of the door, standing toe to toe with his flustered host. "Yes?"

Pressing up on his tip-toes, Ben threw his arms around Rick's neck and kissed him. Rick leaned back into the kiss, hands going from Ben's hair to his shoulders, his sides, hips and butt.

"Oh, God," moaned Ben, starting to feel a little light-headed.

Rick expected him to draw away, but Ben rubbed against him, locking his elbows against any attempt at escape. Rick could have easily broken the hold; Ben was standing on his tip-toes, after all, but he really didn't want to. The short kisses they'd shared earlier had been nothing to this. Unfortunately, if he didn't let go, the walk home was going to become very uncomfortable.

"Ben?"

"Nngh!"

"Ben, I --"

Ben dropped to the balls of his feet, staring up at Rick, hands still around his neck. "Don't go," he said. "Stay."

Rick stared at him for a minute. Then he stepped forward, pushing Ben backwards, and closing the door behind them. He spun the lock, hanging his jacket on the knob. Ben's hands had slid down to Rick's waist. Now they slipped under his shirt as Ben pressed himself against Rick's body, faced tilted up to invite another kiss. All flirting abandoned, Rick kissed him hungrily. He let one hand slide down into Ben's waistband, making him arch his back, throwing his head back as he moaned appreciatively. All at once, he tweaked one of Rick's nibbles, squealing with glee as the stronger man growled and lunged for him. Laughing, Ben evaded his grasp and ran up the hall, shucking off his shirt as he went and waving the fabric like a flag.

Rick slipped out of his sandals and followed, down the hall to the bedroom. He laughed as he saw Ben standing by the rumpled bed, holding up a pair of black bikini-briefs. He glared at Rick.

"Are these why Gran smacked me?" he demanded.

"Yep."

"Whose are they?"

"Mine, of course. You like them?"

Ben tossed the offending piece of attire at Rick, who dodged. "What are you doing leaving your underwear in my room? When my grandmother was coming over?"

"If they'd seen this place as it was when I came in," Rick answered with a shrug, "they'd never have believed we were dating."

"And what's that?" asked Ben, pointing to a orange-y ... blob with two arms, green feet, and little, red demon horns.

Rick smirked. "That would be Sherbert. It's a stuffed animal, Ben."

"Sherbert?"

"Souvenir from an amusement park I went to once. I told your sister you begged for it."

"What?"

"You needed something obvious to point out as a symbol of affection. Relax, Ben. Geez, you're so uptight."

"You just don't go about putting strange things in other people's houses!" He glared, but Rick was grinning. "What?"

"Oh, nothing," said Rick, stalking forward. "It's just that, you kinda remind me of Tyler, for a minute, spitting mad like that."

"Who?"

Rick put his hands on Ben's waist, pushing him back toward the bed. "Tyler. My cat?"

"Oh. Oh, right. Wait a minute! Are you comparing me to a -- mmphf!"

"No more talking," said Rick when he released Ben from the kiss. "Not unless you're screaming my name."

"I do not scream."

"We'll see."

With a well-placed shove, Rick pushed Ben backwards onto the bed, crawling after. Ben's heart was racing. He fumbled for the buttons on Rick's shirt as his mouth was captured in another kiss. Rick seemed intent on making this as difficult for Ben as possible, grinding their hips together, his hands exploring every inch of Ben's lean, muscled body as possible.

"Nngh! Fuck!" groaned Ben. His fingers were caught about half-way down, losing all coordination when Rick attacked his sensitive ears.

Rick paused a moment, lifting up on elbows and knees. Ben was flushed, a glazed expression on his face, mouth parted, lips slightly swollen, gasping for breath while his body writhed, his eyes half-closed. Leaning down again, Rick placed a sucking kiss on the tanned breastbone, trailing his tongue upwards along the collarbone.

Ben lost it as teeth grazed his skin. His hands fisted in fabric, pulling Rick down on him. "Please!" he moaned. "Ahh, fuck, Rick!"

He smiled and kissed Ben again, deeper and more demanding. He would have liked to tease him further, but his pants were already straining, the friction just shy of unbearable. But before he could get up, he had to disentangle Ben's hands from his shirt.

"Leggo," he murmured, kissing a shoulder.

"Ungh?"

Rick pulled on a pinky finger. "You have to let go, Ben. Come on, Benji, relax."

"Don't -- don't call me that," Ben grumbled.

Kissing each finger as he pulled them off, Rick pushed Ben's hands up over his head. Sliding off the bed, he pulled off shirt, pants, and boxers. He knew where the lube was -- he'd left the bottle on its side on the nightstand, beside a partial strip of condoms. The look on Genny's face had been priceless, especially as the end packet was open! Chuckling quietly, Rick tossed the lube to Ben and started to remove his pants.

"Hey," said Ben, partially sitting up and frowning at the plastic bottle. "This isn't mine."

"No, it's mine. I came prepared."

"I'll say." He frowned, but he couldn't convince his mind to be angry, not with Rick currently nibbling his way up his inner thigh. He moaned again, flopping back on the comforter when Rick cupped his leaking erection in one hand and squeezed. "Oh, oh, God!" His eyes widened, biting his lip against the sudden urge to cum right then as Rick licked the underside of his cock. "Ahh! F-f-fuck!"

Rick spared a minute to view his handiwork. Back arched, neck arched, Ben's whole torso was flushed pink beneath his tan. He had one hand fisted in the comforter, the other holding the bottle of lube, clutching it, but apparently having forgotten all about it. Rick had to raise himself up to wrestle the bottle away. He carefully slicked his fingers, massaging Ben's entrance and giving his cock another long lick. When he reached the tip, he sucked the whole thing into his mouth, simultaneously pressing his finger inside.

Ben cried out again, his empty hand grabbing Rick's thick hair. "Oh God! Ohgodohgodoh ...!"

Feeling Ben pushing back against him, Rick added a second finger, scissoring to stretch the tight muscles. Ben was no virgin, but unless he was mistaken, it'd been awhile since he'd last been fucked and Rick took extra care to open him up slowly. He ignored Ben's groans, pleas, and demands to hurry up, just making sweet love to his cock while he got him ready.

"Jesus!" screamed Ben. "Do it already! Nngh! I can't -- I'm going to -- ahh!"

Rick felt the orgasm first, in a delightful quivering of Ben's abs. His body froze for an instant before letting go with a sigh. Ben lay still afterward, chest heaving as he gasped for breath.

"F-fucking bastard," he groaned.

"You know you loved it," Rick replied, grinning and smothering his stomach in kisses. "Besides, I thought my name was 'Jesus.'"

"Fuck you."

Rick tweaked a sensitive nipple with his free hand, just to hear Ben yelp. He added a third finger, crooking them to stimulate Ben's prostate and making him moan again. Careful stroking and placement of kisses had Ben hard again quickly.

Rick pulled free, fumbling for a condom and the lube. Ben sat up, grasping after Rick for another deep kiss before lying back again. Rick lifted Ben's hips as Ben braced his hands against the headboard.

"Come onnn!" whimpered Ben as Rick slid in at a tortuously slow pace. He was still floating in post-coital bliss and he wanted Rick inside now! His whole body was on fire with want and need. "Do it! Fuck, Rick! Fuck me already! Shit!"

"No," sighed Rick. "Not yet. Not ... yet."

Ben wrapped his legs around Rick's waist, pulling him in closer, determined to force the pace. He straightened his arms, cursing at Rick to go faster.

Then he was seated in his entirety and Rick had to pause, fighting for his own control. He gave Ben's abs a few more kisses. "Now, are you ready?"

Ben lifted his head to glare. "You better fucking fuck me now, mister, or I'm throwing you out, goddamn you!"

"You have such a foul mouth," Rick teased him. "Maybe your gran's right and you need your mouth washed out."

"Fuck, man! How can you bring up a man's grandmother at a time like this!"

Grinning, Rick pulled back and thrust, making Ben moan and swear. Each time, he moved just a little faster, a little harder, until he'd forced Ben's head practically against the headboard, his arms shaking with the effort to hold steady; but his mouth didn't stop. If anything, Ben cursed even faster. He was right. He didn't scream.

"Fuck!" he shouted as he came a second time. "Damn. Damn. Nnngh!"

Rick bellowed his own climax and thudded down beside his lover. He kissed him lightly, both of them panting and sweating. Ben could hardly keep his eyes open.

"Told you," he murmured.

"Yes, you did, but just give me time."

"Fuck you."

"Oh, no," laughed Rick. "Not this country boy."

"Hmngh ... wha?"

"Shh, love, just sleep. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day."

"Mmnn, tomorrow ...."

Rick pulled out and disposed of the condom. Returning to the bed, he wiped Ben down with a washcloth, cleaning him tenderly. Ben didn't stir, lying boneless in the center, a relaxed, cat-satisfied grin on his lips. Half-asleep, he moaned softly as Rick tugged the comforter free and tucked him under the sheets.

Whistling, Rick pulled his boxers on and went out into the kitchen. He sang softly, "Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me ... mmmm."

~ TBC ~

2010 Dark; All Rights Reserved<br /><br />Characters, places, names and events are a product of my own muse and entirely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental. Any reproduction or reprinting without the express consent of the author is prohibited.
  • Like 36
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, well, well. What varied and pleasant responses I had to this.

 

Ben is hilarious, sweet, and cute as help! I'm curious what difficulties he's been through, though--what his grandmother in her thoughts alluded to.

 

Rick--hehe, what a guy! Clever, and suave, really. I get the feeling he's a bit of a charmer. But the cat! ROFL, hehe. Anyone walking a cat would have my brows at my hairline, but the way you described Rick, well, I was like hmmm freaking eh, how can that sound hot? lol.

 

The two were fast to get right down to business, but somehow it didn't feel too soon. But I'm curious at where the story is going, what conflicts come up and how they'll be handled.

 

I LOVED the pacing of the chapter and the descriptions.

 

One thing I noticed, that made the chapter just a little tricky to read, is that the perspective jumps from person to person. A couple of times I had to re-read a paragraph to click what character we were getting he story from again. I'm curious why you chose to do it this way, and if you've thought about possibly having one scene from one character's perspective.

 

I am impressed with what I've read so far, and I'm sooo excited to read on. I love it when I get that thrill of:don't want to put it down. Well, I'm strapped for time now, but I hope to continue very soon.

 

Also, I read an interview you did recently. I enjoyed reading it! Thanks so much for writing and sharing it with us!

 

:D Anyta

Link to comment
On 01/10/2011 11:56 PM, AnytaSunday said:
Well, well, well. What varied and pleasant responses I had to this.

 

Ben is hilarious, sweet, and cute as help! I'm curious what difficulties he's been through, though--what his grandmother in her thoughts alluded to.

 

Rick--hehe, what a guy! Clever, and suave, really. I get the feeling he's a bit of a charmer. But the cat! ROFL, hehe. Anyone walking a cat would have my brows at my hairline, but the way you described Rick, well, I was like hmmm freaking eh, how can that sound hot? lol.

 

The two were fast to get right down to business, but somehow it didn't feel too soon. But I'm curious at where the story is going, what conflicts come up and how they'll be handled.

 

I LOVED the pacing of the chapter and the descriptions.

 

One thing I noticed, that made the chapter just a little tricky to read, is that the perspective jumps from person to person. A couple of times I had to re-read a paragraph to click what character we were getting he story from again. I'm curious why you chose to do it this way, and if you've thought about possibly having one scene from one character's perspective.

 

I am impressed with what I've read so far, and I'm sooo excited to read on. I love it when I get that thrill of:don't want to put it down. Well, I'm strapped for time now, but I hope to continue very soon.

 

Also, I read an interview you did recently. I enjoyed reading it! Thanks so much for writing and sharing it with us!

 

:D Anyta

so sorry! I had not realized there were reviews here -- I am particularly pleased with how the pacing went overall as that's a recurring issue of mine and your comment just puffed up my ego, so thank you! hehe. I opted to go for the snapshots in perspective for this chapter because I wanted to add information for continuity concerns but I was worried that if I did a major re-write then I'd lose the original charm. You're right that it is a little choppy but I'm now convinced that each time I fiddled with it I made it worse so I guess you could say I gave up and just left it as is.
Link to comment

Oo-ooh! I'm nearly speachless... my stomach hurts from laughing. The granny and the itty witty sister were amazing! And who liks someones face when there are relatives whatching? :D The sex was like fun-fun-fun too! Can't think of anything negative to bring up. I love stories that make me smile!

Link to comment
On 02/25/2011 05:57 AM, Marzipan said:
Oo-ooh! I'm nearly speachless... my stomach hurts from laughing. The granny and the itty witty sister were amazing! And who liks someones face when there are relatives whatching? :D The sex was like fun-fun-fun too! Can't think of anything negative to bring up. I love stories that make me smile!
No constructive criticism? I'm disappointed! :D Glad you liked it. They're all my fav chars, but this is the only place we really get to see Gran interact with the others. I love her.
Link to comment

:blink:

 

I almost hit 'Add Review' after that but figured you'd stop talking to me :P

 

I would second Anyta's perspective comment as it did confuse me -that said - you had me laughing - which is rare so kudos for that :great:

 

 

Oh yeah, sorry for hitting like - but I want to know if and when you respond to my irreverant reviews 0:)

Link to comment
On 06/23/2011 03:08 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
:blink:

 

I almost hit 'Add Review' after that but figured you'd stop talking to me :P

 

I would second Anyta's perspective comment as it did confuse me -that said - you had me laughing - which is rare so kudos for that :great:

 

 

Oh yeah, sorry for hitting like - but I want to know if and when you respond to my irreverant reviews 0:)

Yep, I probably would've had to hurt you if you'd left only a smiley as a review.
Link to comment
On 09/14/2011 12:34 AM, mr curiosus said:
Totally loved this chapterthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

and I have to say believable....

I am glad, on both accounts. :)
Link to comment

What a nice and promising start. The sister and granny made some interesting sub-characters, both of them colorful and nosy like only family can be without being too rude. But it was really Rick that got my attention. Has he done this kind of thing before? He seems awfully sure of himself, both with the bag he brought with him (the things he placed in Ben´s apartment contributing to this chapters light heartedness and feel of comedy) and the way he acted towards Ben and his relatives. I wonder what his story is?

The switching POV´s didn´t bother me as much as it sometimes do (and sometimes it can make me completely stop reading a story) and even though it does shift a lot I had no trouble keeping the POV´s apart.

Now - on to chapter two.

Link to comment
On 09/27/2011 04:27 AM, sorgbarn said:
What a nice and promising start. The sister and granny made some interesting sub-characters, both of them colorful and nosy like only family can be without being too rude. But it was really Rick that got my attention. Has he done this kind of thing before? He seems awfully sure of himself, both with the bag he brought with him (the things he placed in Ben´s apartment contributing to this chapters light heartedness and feel of comedy) and the way he acted towards Ben and his relatives. I wonder what his story is?

The switching POV´s didn´t bother me as much as it sometimes do (and sometimes it can make me completely stop reading a story) and even though it does shift a lot I had no trouble keeping the POV´s apart.

Now - on to chapter two.

I'm glad you liked it! Yes, Rick has done this sort of thing before. He mentions it later on. Nosy and possessive are certainly characteristics of Ben's family.
Link to comment

I enjoyed this so much, and have not laughed so damn much at a story in a long time. Can't wait to read more. Thank u

Link to comment
On 03/16/2012 04:56 AM, joann414 said:
I enjoyed this so much, and have not laughed so damn much at a story in a long time. Can't wait to read more. Thank u
Excellent! :D
Link to comment

Holy hell, I loved that. I was grinning the whole time. I squeed myself. I usually don't review until the end, but this chapter was just too entertaining.

Link to comment
On 08/15/2013 12:53 AM, Rambling Robin said:
Holy hell, I loved that. I was grinning the whole time. I squeed myself. I usually don't review until the end, but this chapter was just too entertaining.
I hope you continue to enjoy the story! :)
Link to comment

Great beginning, such a fun chapter to read. Gran and Genny were very nosy :o Rick and Ben are fabulous characters, looking forward getting to know them better.

Link to comment
On 05/25/2014 03:46 AM, Suvitar said:
Great beginning, such a fun chapter to read. Gran and Genny were very nosy :o Rick and Ben are fabulous characters, looking forward getting to know them better.
Thanks! Got to love nosy relatives, even when you want to strangle them.
Link to comment
On 12/21/2015 09:35 AM, Dayne Mora said:

Yaoi with hot half-demon - Crimson Spell?

You know, I don't honestly remember anymore, but that sounds right. One of my good friends was reading it at the time, a book and not a comic if I remember correctly.

Link to comment

I loved this first charter. It had the perfect balance between funny and getting-to-know info.
I was laughing already at the beginning with Ben thoughtless up and asking this total stranger to be his boyfriend. And screaming in delight at the yaoi scene, absolutely priceless.
th characters are very well portrayed and I'm excitedly moving on to the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 08:07 PM, Avangelion said:

I loved this first charter. It had the perfect balance between funny and getting-to-know info.

I was laughing already at the beginning with Ben thoughtless up and asking this total stranger to be his boyfriend. And screaming in delight at the yaoi scene, absolutely priceless.

th characters are very well portrayed and I'm excitedly moving on to the next chapter.

So glad you enjoyed the chapter! It remains one of my faves.

Link to comment

One of my top ten favourite first chapters of any book, online or in print. You have the art of manipulating a reader's emotions down pat. And this is my second read through after a few years :worship:

Edited by bundu_st
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..