Jump to content
    Finn
  • Author
  • 2,950 Words
  • 685 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Verse - 12. Chapter 12

Six teens finally meet, hilarity ensues.

“Hey,” Luka muttered.

“Hey,” Soren returned.

Cody glanced between the two, doing his best to keep a scowl from his face. It wasn’t working. Neither were his attempts to hide it from Soren, who shot him a short, sour look in reply.

Luka simply snickered, shaking his head as he closed the motel door behind him. He looked around the motel parking lot; it was silent this early in the day. Of course, it was to be expected, not many people were brave enough to seek companionship while it was bright.

At least not the companionship Moor’s offered.

“How the hell did you end up here?” Soren asked, breaking the awkward silence.

Luka shrugged, his lips curving into a slight smirk. “Long story.”

“We’ve got time.” Soren returned the sly grin, before gesturing to the waxed, silver sedan that lay a few feet behind them. It was Cody’s, one of Mr. Lund’s few gifts to him. It had been brand new when it’d been purchased, nearly a year prior. It still maintained the look, as Cody would accept nothing short of perfect.

“There’s nothing really to it,” Luka said, smiling weakly. “I ran away, I ended up here.” And he wasn’t proud of it either—especially considering he abandoned his mother in the process.

“Ran away?” Soren questioned cautiously.

“Yeah, ran away,” Luka laughed, “ran fast the fuck away. Anyway, are we just gonna stand here, or are you actually gonna, you know… try to, like, help me?”

Soren flustered and dropped his head low, shifting his eyes towards the passing cars. “Am I really that transparent?”

“Yes,” Cody and Luka answered simultaneously. They stared at one another next, their eyes lost between a glare and a silent high-five.

“Bastards,” Soren grumbled. “That car’s Cody, so…”

Cody sighed, turning back towards his vehicle. His hand danced in his pocket, and the vehicle unlocked with an audible click. “Let’s go.”

Soren nodded, gesturing for Luka to follow, as he himself slipped into the passenger seat. Luka hopped into the backseat, awkwardly setting his hands on his knees. He didn’t much like being indebted—especially towards rivals—and riding in Cody’s vehicle certainly put him at a disadvantage.

“Your house, right?” Cody asked, glancing at his boyfriend.

“Mhm,” Soren answered.

Cody nodded, backing the vehicle out of the parking space and easily guiding it out of the parking lot. Luka stared silently out the tinted window, avoiding the occasional glances that Soren shot him. It had been three so far, and they hadn’t even let the motel grounds.

What?” Luka demanded, finally turning away from the window and towards the front windshield.

Soren twisted in his seat, enough to meet Luka’s gaze. “I’m wondering,” he answered.

Luka shook his head, shutting his eyes tightly in confusion. “Wondering what?”

“How the hell to actually talk about it.”

A smirk twisted onto Luka’s lips, as the boy turned to stare back out the window. “What exactly do you know?” he asked softly. “Has to be pretty bad, for it be out already.”

“It’s pretty bad, yeah,” Soren replied, sighing. He sat back in his seat, finally taking his eyes off Luka. “Is it why you moved away, though? All those years ago?”

“Dude,” Luka groaned. “That was, what? Eight years ago? Why do you even remember?”

Soren shrugged lightly. “You stood out.”

Luka rolled his eyes, as his hands finally branched out from his lap. He set one on the windowsill, before leaning his head against it and closing his eyes. The car vibrated beneath him, knocking his head against the window softly. It was relaxing.

“We were kids,” he replied. “That’s a lame excuse.”

“Whatever,” Soren mumbled. “Just, that’s not the point. Why’d you move away?”

“My dad,” Luka answered after a moment. “He just upped and moved us.” He sighed, doing his best to keep his heart down. He hadn’t broached the topic with anyone—not even Noel.

“That says a lot.”

“No one likes nosy people, Soren.”

Soren grinned widely, shooting another look at Luka. “Maybe.”

“Now,” Luka shrugged, “why don’t you answer my question?”

“Your parents fought a lot?”

Luka shifted immediately, meeting Soren’s eyes again. “That was in the papers?”

“Not in so many words.” Soren looked away, noting unease in Luka’s face. He didn’t expect Luka to know fear.

A silence hung between them, broken only by Cody pulling up the parking break and nodding towards Soren’s window. “We’re here.”

“Do you really want to know?” Luka asked, unbuckling his belt and slipping out the car. He joined Cody and Soren on the other side, the two leading the way towards Soren’s home. Soren’s father’s car still sat in the driveway, a black stain spread out underneath it.

“ Yeah,” Soren answered, stopping a few feet from his door. Cody joined him, and the two shifted their attention entirely onto Luka.

The boy wasn’t fazed, evident by the thin smile that graced his lips. “They fought every night,” he stated nonchalantly. “Because he drank like a bitch every day.”

Soren’s eyes shrunk, as they quickly turned away. Cody’s joined him, as Mrs. Lager’s garden became extremely enthralling. The two quietly led Luka inside, ignoring him as he studied Soren’s home.

It was as he always imagined, a heavily-decorated place, packed with wooden, aging-furniture. The modern entertainment system that dominated the living room seemed out of place, while the kitchen to the left merged seamlessly with the living room’s Victorian design.

Soren’s mother fit the warm atmosphere nicely, standing across from her husband in the kitchen. The two were drinking coffee and sharing a joke when the teenagers entered, and the three boys immediately became the center of attention.

“Hey sport,” Eric began. “Cody.” He nodded to his son’s boyfriend, lifting his mug in a greeting. His eyes faltered over Luka, a questioning look overtaking them, before they returned to meet Soren’s.

“Hey dad, hey mom,” Soren replied, grinning widely as he entered the kitchen. He approached his mom, embracing her in a tight hug, before moving aside to allow Cody to do the same. Mrs. Lager hugged them both, smiling excitedly as she did. “This is Luka,” Soren continued, gesturing to the boy.

Luka had remained in the doorframe, entirely unsure of how to proceed. He hadn’t been to a friend’s house or met their parents in years. At Soren’s beckoning, he took a few tentative steps forward, managing to speak, “Hello.”

Soren rolled his eyes, though he made sure it was out of his parent’s line of sight. “Can Luka stay for the barbeque, dad?”

“Of course,” Eric responded.

His son nodded his thanks, before stepping away from his parents. “We’ll be in my room. If you need any help, just give a call.”

“Actually… I haven’t set anything up. Can you boys run outside and get started for me?”

Soren snickered, shaking his head. “That’s so like you, dad, leaving the work to the teenagers.”

His father nodded, making no efforts to quell his grin. “I just love free labor.”

Soren sighed, giving his two friends an apologetic look, before leading them towards the backyard.

~.~.~.~

“Whoa!” Raquel exclaimed. “Now this—this is unexpected.”

“Didn’t think I’d stay either,” Luka shot back.

Evelyn and Raquel quickly crossed Soren’s backyard, from the boy’s sprawling patio, to the picnic table where the boys sat beneath a ripened orange tree. Eric gave them a small wave, instead focusing on the burning grill in front of him. He’d already prepared a few steaks and hotdogs, which sat cooling on a fold-away table a few feet away. A cooler sat beneath it, while a third table rested not far from the grill, surrounded by metal chairs.

Cody and Soren rose the moment the two girls arrived, exchanging hugs before retaking their seats. To his surprise, Raquel dragged Luka to his feet and practically forced his arms around her.

“Hey,” Luka complained, collapsing back into his seat. “Wild much?”

The girl rolled her eyes, shoving Luka backwards onto the table. “Shut up, punk.”

Luka smirked, arching around her hand. “Says the spunkiest one here.”

Raquel blushed, taking her seat beside Evelyn. “What’s up, guys?”

Cody shrugged, as Soren brandished a grin. “Luka decided to drop in on us,” he explained proudly.

“He didn’t call me at eight in the morning or anything,” Luka added. “Or force me into the car. I’m here totally of my own free will.”

“You could’ve said no,” Cody returned, grinning smugly.

“But then I wouldn’t be here with you.” Luka frowned slightly, leaning forward to close the distance between Cody and he. “And I just love being near you, babe.”

“Hey!” Soren interrupted. “Hands off Cody, bastard’s mine.”

Luka rolled his eyes, leaning back and joining the two girls in a giggle. “No worries. He’s not my type anyway.”

“You’ve a type?” Evelyn questioned.

Luka smiled thinly. “Tall, blonde, and handsome.”

“Sounds just like Soren,” Raquel beamed.

Luka reddened slightly, moments before breaking into a wide grin. “Maybe. You two up for a threesome sometime?”

“No,” Soren answered, his eyes spinning.

“Shame. They’re quite fun.”

“Damn boy,” Raquel erupted, shoving Luka lightly. “You get around.”

“Get pas—“ Luka’s phone burst alive in his pocket, vibrating wildly as the default ringtone filled the air. He quickly pulled it out, smiling widely as he read the name.

“Gold?” he questioned, holding the device to his ear. He stood, taking a few steps away from the table. It didn’t keep the four from staying silent and listening in.

“Heyy!” Noel shouted excitedly.

Luka smiled again, his eyes glistering. They turned skyward to watch the clouds drift across the afternoon sky. “What’s up?”

“Guess where I’m at?” Noel demanded.

“Uh… the toilet?”

“No…”

Luka snickered, collapsing cross-legged onto the grass. “Uh… Uhh…. Uuuuhhhhhhh…”

“Oh Lord!” Noel exclaimed. “I’m entering Halvadag!”

“Halvadag?”

“Halvadag.”

“Halvadag-Halvadag?”

“Halvadag-Halvadag.”

Luka’s face beamed, as he rushed to his feet and turned towards the street. “The hell are you doing in Halvadag?”

“Oh, you know, just seeing the sights. Visit the palace, maybe watch a play or three—what do you think I’m doing in Halvadag??”

“I’m not at home,” Luka said with smiled.

“I didn’t think you would be. Where are you?”

“At a friend’s.”

“Should I be worried?”

“Not at all.” Luka glanced at Soren, and the entire table suddenly turned away, looking in random directions, and pretending to be doing something else entirely.

“Well,” Noel whispered. “Either way, give me the address.”

“I’ll text it.”

“Cool…”

A short silence hung between them, in which the smile on Luka’s face grew several-fold. “Gold?” he said at last.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

 

~.~.~.~

 

“You’re welcome,” Noel giggled. He passed Eric a paper bag, which the man lightly set on one of the tables.

“Oh, you didn’t have to,” Eric replied, opening it nonetheless. It was a pink carton box, often used for cakes.

“It’s chocolate,” Noel added with a shrug. “Wasn’t sure what to buy.”

Eric nodded, smiling at the new face in front him. “It’s alright. Everybody loves chocolate.”

Noel grinned, a polite gesture, before turning around and scanning the backyard. Luka sat on top of the picnic table, facing the patio, his eyes silently meeting Noel’s.

The two stared at one for several moments, both their faces fighting—unsuccessfully—the urge to smile giddily. They would’ve remained so, hadn’t Lea and Raquel shoved them towards one another.

The short walk was awkward, the two the center of attention. Cody and Soren were watching like hawks, waiting to see what unfold. Raquel was rolling her eyes, grumbling at the long, drawn-out scene the two were creating. Evelyn was laughing alongside her; the two had quite enough dramatic romance hanging out with Cody and Soren.

“Hi,” Noel whispered, stopping in front of Luka.

“Hey,” Luka returned, drawing his hands from his pockets. Noel was shorter than him and, though he’d known it, actually seeing the boy changed his perspective of what that actually meant. Noel’s dark-brown hair shifted lightly in the wind, brushing along his cheek until he slid it back behind his ear. It was a small gesture, though mixed with the sheepish grin on the boy’s cheeky face, and Luka recalled why he loved him.

His smile revealed the fact, and was all the encouragement Noel needed to take the last step straight into Luka’s waiting arms.

“Noel,” Noel whispered into Luka’s ear.

“Noel,” Luka repeated, wrapping his arms firmly around the boy’s thin frame. “It’s beautiful.”

“Don’t wear it out, Luka.” Noel rolled his eyes, setting his head on Luka’s shoulder.

“No,” Luka returned. “I’ll be saying it at the end of every sentence. You made me wait too damned long for it.”

“You didn’t say it.” Noel grinned.

“Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel. Nooeeeeeelllll.”

“Get a room you two!” Raquel shouted, immediately sending the two apart.

“Don’t get like Soren on us, Luka!” Evelyn added.

“We’ve enough sappy romance as it is!”

“You two are harsh,” Soren snickered. He leaned against Cody, resting his head his boyfriend’s shoulder, as his hand slipped onto Cody’s. Cody grinned slightly, pressing his cheek against Soren’s head.

Luka and Noel smiled silently at one another, before squeezing next to each other again. They headed towards the table, where Lea felt safe enough to join them.

“Everything good?” Noel asked, giving Luka’s hand a squeeze. “Have you called Mark yet?”

Luka shook his head, thumbing Noel’s hand softly. “No, I haven’t. It’s a nice day today. I’d hate to ruin it.”

“You’re taking it pretty well, then.”

“I’m used to this kind of shit,” Luka said with a shrug.

Noel pouted. “That’s not good, you know.”

“Then help me change it.”

The pout vanished, replaced by a thin smile. “I’ll do my best… but, I can’t really stay long.”

“What!?” Raquel exclaimed. “But we haven’t even met you!”

The two snapped to attention, turning red as they noticed themselves in front the picnic table. Still, all eyes were on them, no one making any efforts to hide the fact.

“Bastards,” Luka murmured.

“Shut up and introduce us,” Raquel returned.

Luka squirmed, pushing Noel slightly forward. “Noel,” he said simply.

“That’s terrible,” Evelyn complaining, shaking her hand.

“Like, so much,” Raquel added, mimicking the gesture.

“Are you ashamed of him, Luka?”

“Not at all,” Luka answered, smiling smugly. He pulled Noel closer and kissed his cheek. “I might love this boy.”

Noel turned blood-red, giving Luka a weak shove. “Might?” Raquel pressed.

“That is still terrible,” Evelyn chastised.

It was Luka’s turn to fluster, as his eyes dodged the rest of them. “I’m a terrible guy.”

“And you love this thing?” Raquel asked, glaring at Noel. “You’re crazy, dude.”

“Probably,” Noel shrugged. “What can I do though?” He shifted his eyes towards Lea, edging her forward. “She’s my bestie, Lea.”

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“Yo.”

“Sup?”

Lea ran over their faces.

“Raquel.”

“Evelyn.”

“Cody.”

“Soren.”

She flustered, grinning widely. “An interesting bunch.”

“Aren’t we?” Soren said, beaming.

“Been friends with Luka long?” Noel asked, looking them over.

“Something like that,” Soren answered, frowning weakly. It was really hard to define his relationship with Luka.

“You got any embarrassing childhood tales?”

“Oh Noel,” Lea interjected, pursing her lips. “Noel, Noel, Noel. How could you? That is so terribly cliché.”

“She has a point there,” Raquel agreed, nodding her head.

“What?” Noel demanded, laughing despite it. “I really want to know. You can’t get much out of this guy.” He bumped Luka with his hip, sending the boy reeling.

“True that,” Soren murmured. “We did catch him at a whorehouse this morning.” He looked excitedly at Cody, who managed to gather a shocked face.

“The biggest of whorehouses,” Cody contributed. “There were like, fifty of them in the front lot, just dancing seductively. Soren might’ve broken, if I wasn’t there.”

“Oh shut up,” Soren laughed, shoving Cody.

“A whorehouse??” Noel erupted, turning on Luka. “You slept at a whorehouse?”

“Fitting, isn’t it?” Luka muttered.

“What’s this about a whorehouse?” Eric questioned, looking up from the grill.

“What is this about a whorehouse?” Mr. Lund’s voice joined in, a bit more disheartened. The man came out of the house, Mrs. Lund and two kids in tow. George and Mary immediately broke free from their parents and ran towards the sandbox, a place where their brother had spent countless afternoons with Soren in their childhood.

“Nothing, dad,” both Cody and Soren responded simultaneously.

“Well, dang,” Eric chuckled.

Mr. Lund scowled, suddenly recalling why he’d put off the barbeque for so long.

“You’re early, dad,” Cody called out. His father shrugged, gesturing to the two kids playing in the sandbox. Cody nodded, as if that were an answer.

Immediately afterwards, Eric kicked off the conversation with the Lunds, leaving the teens to their business. Mr. Lund’s eyes lingered on the picnic table for a few moments, before he dismissed himself to the restroom.

“You didn’t go with Mark?” Noel asked, nudging Luka.

The latter shook his head, pulling Noel slightly closer. “You don’t like him, remember?”

“That didn’t stop you before…”

Luka pouted, tightening his grip on Noel’s hand. “I’m sorry?”

Noel sighed. “Whatever. Let’s just save that stuff till later, yeah?”

“Alright.” Luka nodded, sitting on the table itself to allow Noel to take the seat in front of him. Lea joined in, sitting across from them, on the female side of the table. Noel smiled, leaning against his friend’s knees and resting his head against the boy’s lap.

“Soo…” Raquel began. “Who watched the show last night?”

“The show?” Luka asked.

“No, the show,” she said, grinning ecstatically.

Luka scowled, confused. “What show?”

Everyone stared at him, sharing Raquel’s wild grin.

So, did you see the show last night? Better have, else Raquel's gonna go hurt your bum.
Also, forgive me for I have sinned. I've done my best to atone for them, running through this wicked thing and making corrections. Apologies, if you read the original version.
Copyright © 2013 Finn; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..