Jump to content
    Finn
  • Author
  • 1,875 Words
  • 704 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Verse - 13. Chapter 13

Hilarity broken, secrets revealed; madman is mad.

“What the fuck, Dad?”

“Hey! Language, young man!”

Cody rolled his eyes, shaking his head at his father. The two were standing at odds in the Lager’s driveway, watching as a pair of police officers made it clear Luka wasn’t to leave by flanking him as they chatted in whispers. To Cody’s side stood his friends, as well as his and Soren’s mothers. Eric was with Luka, doing his best to broker in a situation he was entirely uninformed about.

“Seriously, Dad?” Cody scoffed. He glared at the officers, as one of them set a hand on Luka’s shoulder. The boy took a step back, though the man’s grip kept him from getting further.

“He’s a runaway,” Mr. Lund whispered tersely.

“He’s my friend.” Friend. Cody couldn’t believe he used that word.

“Pick your friends better.” Mr. Lund shot a look at Soren, who’d been kept from Luka’s side by his mother. The woman had also held Noel at bay, to give Luka and the officers some privacy.

Cody’s mouth dropped, his eyes staring at his father in disbelief. “You…” He stopped, as Mrs. Lund’s hand collapsed onto his shoulder. The boy glanced up at her and met her empathetic face. Why was it adults whose blood he didn’t share were the best to him?

The boy groaned, turning away from his father.

“Where are you going?” Mr. Lund demanded, reaching out for his son. “We’re going home.”

Cody shrugged him off, aligning himself beside his boyfriend. “You can go home, but I’d really rather not even look at you right now.”

Mr. Lund’s eyes widened as he froze mid-step. He finally took a look around, and noticed that even his two younger kids were standing against him. He retreated, taking a moment to examine the faces against him, then the boy standing tall against the officers—despite Eric’s sweating under the officers’ pressing.

“Who is he?” Mr. Lund questioned with a sigh.

“Luka Oniroyov,” Cody said neutrally. “Friend of my boyfriend.”

“Luka Oni—boyfriend??” The man’s eyes widened again, as they shifted uneasily between Cody and Soren.

His son nodded curtly, grabbing Soren’s hand to solidify the words.

“You…” The man stopped midsentence, entirely unsure where to go with it. “Ah…” He grunted, sighing again. “We’ll discuss that later. For now…” he glanced back at Luka, who was now shrinking before the two officers. “What’s the situation?”

“No idea,” Cody shrugged. “We haven’t really tried to get him to talk… it’s hard to tell someone their mother’s dead.”

“I think the good officers just did,” Raquel whispered.

A few feet away from them, Luka shuddered suddenly, taking a couple steps back. Only Eric’s quick hand kept him from falling, long enough for Noel to break free from Mrs. Lager’s grip and race across the driveway. She’d let him go.

“Sweet fuck…” Soren gasped, sliding out of his mother’s grip himself.

Mr. Lund scowled, following quickly behind the two boys.

“She’s—she’s dead?” Luka blurted. He turned, as Noel’s hand arrived on his shoulder. Luka managed a small smile, though it disappeared the moment he met the officer’s eyes again.

Both of the officers were frowning now, looking over the small crowd that had gathered. Besides the Lager and Lund families, several more people had gathered all around the street.

An officer cleared his throat and took another step towards Luka. “Yes,” he grumbled. “And if you’ll come with us, we might be able to do catch whoever’s responsible.”

“Whoa now,” Mr. Lund interjected, stepping between the boys and the officers. “Don’t you think you’ve done enough already, Officer…?”

“Parker.”

Mr. Lund nodded, shaking the man’s hand. “Christian Lund, attorney.”

The officer’s face immediately whitened, and he finally withdrew a couple of steps. “Well, Mr. Lund, I’m sure you’re already aware of the situation.”

“Care to fill my friends in anyway?” He glanced around, gesturing to the teens and moms that had gathered around Luka.

Parker cleared his throat again, shooting a glance at his partner; the second officer shrugged lightly. “We got an anonymous call that Luka Oniroyov was here.” His eyes fell on the boy to prove his point. “There was a murder a few miles away, and we think he might be involved.”

“You don’t honestly think the boy murdered his own mother, do you?” Christian joked.

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” the second officer murmured.

Both Christian and Luka immediately shot him a look, and only Christian’s firm hand pressed into his face kept Luka from lashing out.

“I think you’ve done enough here, boys,” Cody’s dad said. “The boy’s in good hands here.”

Officer Parker looked at the crowd around the street, some of who nodded steadily. His lips squirmed, as he advanced again. “I’m afraid I can’t just leave him here like that.”

“Is there a warrant for his detention?”

“No, but—“

“Then I’m afraid he’s not obligated to accompany you.”

“Mr. Lund…”

Officer Parker, if it’ll make you feel better, I’ll sign to have temporary guardianship transferred to myself. However, I don’t think this boy is in any condition to spend a night in a cell.”

“We don—“ Christian shook his head, frowning. Finally, the officer resigned, sighing as he took a few steps back. “We’re presently searching for his father. The man’s believed to be dangerous, so we’ll station a few men outside this residence. The boy’s no next of kin, so we’ll appreciate it if one of you kind folk would keep an eye on him.”

Eric nodded, stepping forward. “He’ll stay here with us. I think it would be best if I sign the papers, Christian.”

“Very well. He does still need to give a statement, however. If you could bring him by the station soon, it would be appreciated.”

The two fathers sighed, nodding steadily. Christian looked at his own son, who was standing worriedly next to Soren, ignoring his father’s gaze. The man frowned slightly, before following Eric and the officers to the police cruiser.

“It’s Saturday, right?” Noel asked, glancing at the people gathered around Luka.

“Yeah,” Soren answered.

Noel glanced at Lea, “Your mom thinks we’re on a long date?”

“Something like that.” She shrugged.

The boy nodded sagely, his eyes focused on the ground as he thought. “Can you pick me up tomorrow, instead?”

Lea’s eyes widened. “What?”

“Go home,” Noel whispered. “Tell my dad I’m sleeping at your place. Not like the man would ask anything more. Come pick me up tomorrow… If I can stay?” He looked towards Mrs. Lager, who gave him a polite nod.

The girl scowled, though it was only momentarily before it was replaced by a smile. “You’re still paying for the gas.”

Noel rolled his eyes, shoving his friend lightly. “Yeah, whatever.”

Lea glanced at her watch; it was a little past six o’clock. The sun was already beginning to set in the horizon, descending over the suburban homes. “I should get going. It’s getting late.”

“Yeah…” Noel stood, leaning into his friend for a tight hug. “Thanks Lea.”

“No problem.”

The girl smiled, before giving token farewells to the people gathered. She disappeared down the street moments later, heading to her battered car parked a few houses away. Noel’s attention shifted to Luka, who had taken a seat on the grass, and was staring silently into the street.

“We should go inside,” Raquel murmured. The crowd around the block had grown larger. The officers were standing by their vehicle, silently discussing affairs with the two fathers.

Mrs. Lager nodded her agreement, and quickly took charge of the situation. “Cody, go put on a pot of coffee. Soren, prepare the guest…” She glanced at Noel, her lips unsure where to stand. “Bedroom…”

Noel blushed, as the two other boys disappeared indoors. “Erm…”

The woman shot him a knowing smile, before patting him softly on the shoulder. “Evelyn, Raquel, please go make sure Cody doesn’t burn down my kitchen.”

“You got it ma’am!” Raquel exclaimed, grabbing Evelyn’s hand and charging after the boys.

At last, Luka had been isolated. Mrs. Lager looked down at him, crestfallen. Her own mother was deceased, and she had cried immediately upon learning—and had done so for several days. Of course, her mother hadn’t been killed by her father…

“Luka,” she began softly, bending down to brush the boy’s cheek. “Honey… you know, it’s okay to cry.”

Luka managed a smirk, shifting his eyes to meet the woman’s. “I’m trying… but… I can’t.”

The woman frowned slightly, as she continued to stroke the boy’s face. Luka seemed to lean into her hand steadily, trying his best to keep himself from collapsing into it. Noel kneeled down on Luka’s other side and took the boy’s hand into his own. He squeezed it softly, and steadied himself as Luka leaned into him.

Mrs. Lager’s sighed, a weak smile taking over as she stood up. “You two should go inside. Soren’ll lead you to the guest bedroom, please make yourselves at home.”

She didn’t wait for an answer, instead turning towards the street and joining the males and Mrs. Lund with the officers.

 

~.~.~.~

 

Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit.

Gregory stared at his hands. They felt heavy, as if they still carried the shotgun. He’d left it in the car though, a few feet away, tucked beside the cabin that served as his hunting lodge. At least it had, when he actually went hunting.

With Alexis.

Damn.

Gregory clenched his fists, a growl escaping his lips as he rushed to his feet and kicked a rock into the woods. “Fuuuucck!” He shouted into the heavens. A flock of birds burst into the air in response.

“Dammit,” he muttered, reeling his rage in.

It wasn’t supposed to have happened like that. He hadn’t meant to kill anyone, much less his wife. The woman of his dreams—at some point, anyway. She’d first changed when Alexis died—but then, what mother didn’t? She changed further when Dmitri died—she started protecting him.

Luka. Damn that child.

Gregory growled again, though this time managed to restrain his rage to just that. He really should stop raging, but, alas, he didn’t have a single beer on him.

His mind shifted back to Luka, before it turned against beer as well.

The man sat back down on the small pile of logs beside the house. There was an ax a few feet away, sitting by a large stump. He used to cut his own firewood; or rather, Alexis used to cut their firewood.

Before Luka killed him.

The boy was probably behind Dmitri’s death too, somehow. Fuck the doctors and their “Sudden Infant Death Syndrome” bullshit.

Luka did it.

He knew it. The boy knew it. She knew it.

Yes, she knew. And did nothing. A terminal offense.

Gregory smiled, relaxing. He let out a sigh, staring into the starry sky overhead. He was far enough from the city to see the night sky in all its splendid, mesmerizing glory.

Nonetheless, enjoying life had to wait.

He had plans to make, a family to avenge. No one crossed an Oniroyov, after all. Not even an Oniroyov—not that Luka counted as one; that boy certainly wasn’t his son.

Finn makes more jokes, thanks are given.
Copyright © 2013 Finn; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..