Jump to content
    gor mu
  • Author
  • 383 Words
  • 648 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Meridion - 2. Basualdo

Four a.m.
Two lone figures, hopelessly trying to hide behind a skinny, leafless tree,
in a quiet, suburban street,
painted like a bland stroke in the middle of the urban sea I call home.

It was near his place (too near),
the cozy two-story house where he lived with his parents.
I'd been hoping that's where we went,
but I suppose the cold, hard pavement of the sidewalk
was a more appropriate place
for what went down.

Is it too much to say there's a war being waged inside me?

A small part of me wishes I could say I remember every little detail,
but in the back of my head nothing but flashes remain
(Everyone insists on cherishing the first times,
no matter how awful they are.)

Another, bigger, part wants for me to just leave it alone;
what you know is enough, it says, and most of the time that's the voice I listen to,
because the loose pieces of this puzzle feel like they could only belong to a picture I don't want to see.

Every decision I'd made up until that point had been conscious,
from the moment I asked him out over the pretense of catching up
(he'd been so busy after we finished school, had so much to talk about),
to the fifty-peso bottle of vodka we bought in that Open 24-H kiosk.

He didn't drink any of it.
I know, because the bottle didn't leave my hand until it was half-empty,
and he decided to throw it away.
I guess I can't hold my liquor.

I should've known.
(But I did, I knew what I was getting into, I knew.)

Am I even allowed to believe the one at fault was anyone but me?
(If it's my fault I can't complain.)

Did I want it?
Out of all the questions I pose myself when I'm weak, when I listen to the small part, that's the loudest one.

I saw him the other day.
It's almost funny, how in a city of three million souls you bump into people you know so often.
We talked a bit, and it was fine.
He went his way, and I went mine.
I guess I'm over it now, I guess it doesn't matter.

I guess the bigger part already won.

Copyright © 2017 gor mu; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This poem echoes melancholy from line to line. Yes, we do cherish our firsts, and they can be terrible and beautiful, and everything in between, as your words powerfully attest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..