Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 525 Words
  • 772 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Snippets - 21. Maths And Mazes

July 2006

“What’s two plus three?” Colin asked.

Andrew sat and counted on his fingers as he tried to work out the answer. He’d stopped eating anyway, so Janine and I didn’t mind too much that they were interrupting dinner. We also like to encourage educational activities and both boys were at an age where doing simple mathematics was useful.

“Five!” Andrew said, beaming brightly.

“Correct!” Colin said.

“My turn now. What’s eight plus nine?” Andrew asked.

Colin frowned as he thought hard. He looked down at his hands hidden below the level of the table. It took him a while but he eventually came up with the right answer.

“Seventeen!”

Andrew looked at me to check the answer.

“That’s right, Colin. Well done!” I said.

“I had to use my fingers more than once to work it out, but I did it!” Colin said proudly. “Now, what’s nine plus nine plus nine plus nine plus nine plus nine plus nine plus nine?”

Andrew pouted. “I’m not playing this game anymore.”

Colin glanced at Janine and I.

“Can you ask the question again?” Janine asked. “I wasn’t listening the first time.”

Colin frowned for a moment, and obviously realised he couldn’t remember how many nines he’d said.

“Mummy, Daddy, what’s nine thousand plus eight hundred?” he asked.

“Nine thousand, eight hundred,” I replied sagely.

Andrew wasn’t to be outdone.

“What’s one buttock plus one buttock?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” I said.

“A two-buttock!” he said, and giggled.

At that point in time, the conversation deteriorated.

“What’s a smelly bottom plus a bum?” Andrew asked.

I stopped listening, as I was still trying to eat. I knew the discussion was at the stage where I wouldn’t be able to do both.

Later that night, Andrew brought out one of the books he’d gotten from the library that day. It was a book of mazes. I looked at the first page.

“You have to make sure you don’t go on the dark squares, ‘cause they’re trapdoors,” Andrew explained.

“Okay,” I said, absentmindedly as I tried to trace my way through the maze.

“The ones with the lines are easier,” Andrew told me.

I looked at him blankly. “What do you mean?”

“I’ll show you!”

He took the book off me and turned to the back where all the answers were printed.

“Here!” and he proceeded to trace the line that showed the correct path. “Done it!” he said when he’d finished.

“I see,” I said. I had to admire his intelligence, but I didn’t think his problem solving skills were being stretched.

We were joined by Colin and the two boys started doing the mazes together. Colin had more sense of fair play and tried to do the mazes without the line giving the correct path. He did pretty well, obviously enjoying the challenge.

On one page, Colin was struggling. He’d managed to get three-quarters of the way across the page before getting struck.

“You’re doing well, Colin,” Andrew said encouragingly.

“How did you do it?” Colin asked him, starting to get annoyed.

“I started from here,” Andrew said, pointing to a spot near the exit.

Copyright © 2013 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..