Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 455 Words
  • 821 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Snippets - 23. The New Baby

July 2009

It was, as normal with these things, a long time in the planning.

“Is it going to be a boy or a girl?” Andrew asked.

“A boy,” I replied.

“What’s his name?”

“Tom.”

“Where’s he going to sleep?”

Colin jumped in before I could answer. “He can live in the playroom.”

“That’s really generous, Colin,” I said, ignoring the fact that the playroom was a complete mess with Lego pieces scattered everywhere, “but Mummy and I have already prepared somewhere for him.”

That had been the job on the preceding weekend – setting things up so the new baby would have somewhere to stay. We would still need some new outfits, but we had bought some, and there were a few hand-me-down items.

The happy event was occurring close to Janine’s birthday, so the boys and I had been shopping for both birthday presents and items for the impending new arrival.

“Is he going to be warm enough?” Colin asked.

I smiled. It was very encouraging that he was so concerned. “He’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it.”

“When is he going to get here?” Andrew asked.

I glanced at the clock. Janine had told me the baby would be home just after seven that night. “Very soon. Would you like to go outside and wait?”

“Yes!”

Both boys rushed to get ready. I had to make them put on jackets because it was a cold night, but otherwise I let them do whatever they wanted. I didn’t want to interfere too much with their enthusiasm.

“I’m going to wait in the driveway,” Colin said.

“Wait for me.”

He looked at me. “Why?”

“Because it’s dark outside. You don’t want to get run down because they can’t see you.” I grabbed a torch. Living out in the countryside means the nights can get very dark, especially in winter.

It wasn’t long before the new baby arrived home.

The boys jumped around as they watched the new member of the family. They were very excited.

“Don’t get too close,” Janine said, concerned that someone would get hurt.

“He’s nice,” Colin said. Andrew quickly agreed.

Janine and I settled the new baby into his quarters and then watched him for a while.

“He’s big,” Andrew said.

“And he’ll get bigger,” Janine said, clearly in love with her new baby.

“Okay, boys, it’s time to go inside and go to bed,” I said.

“Is he going to be okay outside?” Colin asked.

“He’ll be fine. Horses are used to staying outside.”

Tom’s only a yearling, so he’s got a lot of growing to do before Janine can start riding him, but she finally has a new horse to replace the one who passed away last year.

Copyright © 2013 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..