Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 548 Words
  • 1,192 Views
  • 1 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Snippets - 3. One Word

May 2005

I enjoy writing. It is a hobby that keeps me amused, and one that I love, albeit one that I haven’t been doing for long.

My wife, Janine, encourages me and is always the first to read anything I write. This arrangement has worked out quite productive, albeit with a small complication:

Janine does not like the word “albeit”.

I have tried to argue with her that it is a perfectly legitimate word, albeit one that is a little archaic. She does not accept this, but argues that it is so old, it probably deserves to be retired to a museum.

I still remember the time when the issue first arose.

“You’ve used this silly word, ‘albeit’, twice in this chapter,” she stated.

I looked at the printout where she’d circled the word with her pink texta. For reasons that I’m sure are logical, albeit ones that I can’t recall, she has always used a pink texta whenever she edits any of my writings.

Examining the sections she’d highlighted, it all made sense to me, and I thought “albeit” fitted the sentences perfectly, but Janine disagreed.

“Once, I could almost live with, but twice?”

“But ‘albeit’ is a great word, albeit seldom used nowadays,” I protested.

“Now you’re saying it!” she exclaimed in surprise. “You’ve never said it before!”

I shrugged, as I worked desperately to come up with another phrase using “albeit”.

“I’m sure I have,” I replied indignantly, “albeit rarely.”

She threw up her hands in disgust.

Now, I’m not that good at reading body language, but I suspected she didn’t like my use of the word “albeit”. I think it was the way she scattered the papers over half the room with a single fling of the arm, but it was hard to tell. She’s such a reserved person.

As I picked up the paper and re-arranged the pages back into the correct order, I thought about what she’d said.

It was only one word, albeit one that upset her. Should I just change it to keep her happy?

I felt like being stubborn, albeit in a meek and mild way. After all, Handel had written a hit song based on one archaic word. If he could do it with the word “Hallelujah”, albeit a long time ago, why couldn’t I do it the same with “albeit”? Then there was Yul Brunner, who, in The King and I, entertained an entire generation with the overuse of the word “etcetera”.

I forced my feet back to the ground, albeit with great reluctance. While I have marginally more hair on my head than the esteemed Yul Brunner did in that film, I knew I didn’t have a fraction of the talent of Handel.

Momentarily, I considered shaving my head. Would this make the use of “albeit” more acceptable?

Sadly, I had to concede that it probably didn’t.

Slowly, I reached for the keyboard and removed the offending word.

“Happy now?” I asked sarcastically, albeit with a tinge of sadness.

She nodded her head. “Much better!”

Knowing Janine doesn’t forget things easily, I sighed with regret. If I tried to use the “albeit” again, the argument would just resurface.

So, to keep the marital bliss, I have deleted the word “albeit” from my vocabulary, albeit reluctantly.

Copyright © 2013 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..