Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 778 Words
  • 905 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Snippets - 7. Checkmate

July 2005

It all started the night before.

We were at my sister’s house for our monthly family get-together. As Janine’s birthday had been during the previous month, we were obliged to attend. The boys enjoyed going to my sister’s house, anyway, as there were lots of toys there that they only saw once a month, at best.

Dinner had been quite successful. The boys ate their usual big dinner – a single sausage roll each. Given the attraction of new toys, eating always comes a poor second in their list of priorities. They only ate at all because we insisted. Their preference was to skip dinner and keep playing.

After dinner, while the adults had a leisurely conversation over coffee, the boys and their cousins disappeared to other parts of the house.

It was only as we were getting ready to leave did I track them down. I found Colin with his seven-year-old cousin Mark. Mark was teaching Colin how to play chess.

Naturally, I watched eagerly. I’ve always enjoyed chess, though I haven’t played a serious game for more than a decade. I’d been wondering if the boys were old enough to learn, and it was apparent that the answer was “Yes”.

With a little assistance from his dad (“Move that bishop there, Colin. Now move your queen over here,”) Colin eventually won. He didn’t know he’d checkmated his cousin, as he had no idea of the idea of the game.

Colin’s method of working out if he was winning was interesting. If he’d captured more pieces than the other player, he was winning. It didn’t matter if they were pawns or queens – it was the number that counted.

It was now past time to go, but there was no way Colin had been prepared to go until he’d finished his game.

“Can we play again?” Colin asked me.

“No, it’s time to go home,” I said as I stood up.

“I want to play again,” he insisted, staying stubbornly seated.

“It’s time to go home,” I repeated sternly.

He was tired. It only took a minute of firmly telling him that we were going before he gave up. Now, if it’d been Andrew, it would’ve taken at least five minutes of complex negotiations, but his elder brother is more amenable.

As I put Colin into the car, he made his tactical move.

“Will you play chess with me, Daddy?”

“Tomorrow,” I replied, falling into the trap.

“I want to play another game tonight!”

“It’s too late. It’ll be bedtime when we get home.”

“Can we play chess before bed?”

“No, Colin. Tomorrow, I’ll play with you. I promise,” I answered, sealing my doom.

By the time we arrived home, Andrew was already fast asleep, and Colin was barely conscious.

“Will you play chess with me?” Colin asked me drowsily, as I took him out of the car.

One thing that occurs with kids as they grow older is their concentration span improves. The ability to keep their focus on one thing for an extended period of time is critical for school. I’m happy to say that Colin’s proven his ability in this area beyond reasonable doubt. Now, if he could just learn to remember the answers he’d been given, life would start to become easier.

“Tomorrow,” I promised gently.

The next morning, Colin remembered that promise. I took shameless advantage of his enthusiasm to make him eat a good breakfast. All I had to do was to tell him that we couldn’t play until he’d had his breakfast. Andrew was also keen to learn so, after they’d finished eating, I had two eager young boys watching as I dragged out my old magnetic chess set.

“I’ll start by showing you how all the pieces move.”

“I already know,” Colin replied haughtily.

“But Andrew doesn’t,” I pointed out.

I started with the major pieces.

“This piece is called the rook or castle. You can call it either.”

“I’m going to call it a castle,” Colin stated. His brother quickly agreed.

“And, this piece is called a knight.”

“I’m going to call it a horsey,” Andrew said.

“That’s okay,” I replied. I think almost every young kid starts by calling it that.

“I’m going to call it a knight,” Colin said. “And I’m going to call this one a horsey,” he added pointing at the other knight.

I raised my eyebrows at that. I’d never considered calling the same pieces different names.

“And I’m going to call this one a knight,” Andrew said, pointing to his second knight.

Okay, I can live with that. Rather than two knights, or two horsey’s, they had one of each.

Copyright © 2013 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..