Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 5,709 Words
  • 2,722 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart of The Tree - 19. Part III - The Heart Revealed. Chapter 17

“Thanks for the phone call, Karen. We’ll catch up tomorrow, then. Merry Christmas!”

Vince put the phone down and wiped a hand across his brow in an exaggerated gesture.

Matt chuckled. “I think that’s about everyone.”

Vince’s forehead wrinkled, but his grin didn’t slip. “Everyone except Rhys.”

Matt pulled Vince towards him and kissed him lightly on the lips. “I don’t think Rhys knows whether or not to call. He told me that he won’t mind if the two of us hate him for the rest of our lives, just as long as you’re safe. He’s probably unsure of what sort of reception he’ll get if he calls.”

Vince put his arms behind Matt’s head and pulled him in for a proper kiss.

“We can worry about that later. Let’s go and rejoin the others,” Vince said when they stopped.

Arms around each other’s waist, they walked down the hallway to the lounge room where Mr. and Mrs. Aster, Warren and Shane were drinking sparkling wine by the Christmas tree.

Kirstie looked up and smiled at her son. “I hope you now know how much you were missed by everyone.”

Vince tensed and then relaxed as Matt gave him a reassuring squeeze. “I’m sorry, Mum. I really am, but I didn’t know what else to do.”

“We don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to, Vince,” Tony said from where he stood by the pile of presents. “Let’s just celebrate the day and we can discuss things in the morning.”

Vince grinned nervously at his father. The smile he got in return wiped away most of his worries.

“Can you just answer one question for me?” Tony asked. “Why did you take the chainsaw?”

Vince dropped his gaze to the floor and started twisting a toe into the carpet. “Umm... well... it’s a little silly,” he muttered.

“You don’t have to say if you don’t want to,” Warren said. “You’re back and that’s all that’s important to me.”

Vince shrugged. “Well, I might as well get it over and done with now.” He lifted his head and gave a sheepish grin. “At the time I had this stupid idea that The Tree was the cause of my problems, and if I cut it down, I wouldn’t get outed. I realised it was stupid as I was heading down the driveway, but I didn’t want to take the risk of going back and getting caught. I thought about trying to sneak it back one night, but I was sure Patches would catch me, so I couldn’t.”

Warren looked shocked. “You were going to cut down The Tree?”

Vince scowled at his big brother. He opened his mouth to give Warren a piece of his mind when their mum interrupted.

“That’s enough, boys. I just want one night where we can be a happy family.” Glancing at Shane and Matt, she smiled and added, “Plus two.”

“Sorry, Vince,” Warren said, embarrassed. “You just surprised me... again.”

Vince tried to hold onto his anger, but he found it difficult. Matt’s presence at his side was a distraction, making it hard for him to feel anything but euphoria.

“Boys, do you want to open presents now, or eat first?” Kirstie asked. Her lips twitched before she added, “We’re having roast beef.”

“Eat first,” Vince said before anyone else could say anything.

Warren laughed. “I’ll go with that, too. I’ve suddenly got a huge appetite.”

Dinner was boisterous. Most of the conversation kept to discussions of previous Christmas times. Shane had everyone in stitches with a story from when Matt was sixteen and had been knocked into the family swimming pool by their dog. Shane’s description of the dog attempting to give Matt mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was hysterical.

“Thank you very much for a wonderful meal, Mrs. Aster,” Shane said when they were all finished.

“Yeah, thanks, Mrs. Aster,” Matt said.

She smiled and looked away, embarrassed. “It was nothing special. The meat and vegetables were overcooked, and the gravy was lumpy.”

Vince stood up and walked around to give his mum a hug. “It was special to me,” he whispered.

Blushing, she stood up. “I think we can clean up later. It’s time to open the presents.”

* * *

It was just after midnight. Warren had set up two mattresses in the spare room and Shane was already sound asleep on one of them. The rest of the Aster family had headed to their rooms, leaving Matt and Vince to spend some time together.

Matt and Vince were lying on Vince’s bed, and Vince’s head was nestled into Matt’s shoulder.

“I still can’t believe all of this,” Vince said.

Matt chuckled. “Neither can I. It makes me feel like a fool for not coming to get you earlier.”

“No. That’s not what I meant, though I’m happy that you’re here. What I was talking about was all those things I got from my friends.”

Matt smirked, though he knew Vince couldn’t see it. “You don’t think you deserve them?”

The pause before Vince responded told Matt that he’d hit a nerve.

“It’s like they don’t care that I’m...”

“You stop that right now! There’s nothing wrong with you, and your friends know it. The mere fact that they left those presents for you shows they still think of you as their mate. It’s now up to you. They think you’re worth it. I think you’re worth it. Are you going to accept the real gift they’ve given you today, or are you going to turn your back on them?”

Vince sighed. “We’ll be seeing them tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes then. At least it’ll be in public in case things aren’t as rosy as you’re making out. I wonder if Rhys is going to be there.”

Matt pulled his arm out from under Vince’s neck and rolled half on top of him as he reached over and picked up his mobile phone from the bedside table.

“Hey, I like this,” Vince said as he smiled up at Matt.

Matt grinned as he rolled off Vince. He held the phone out. “Here. Ring Rhys. Show him you still want to be friends.”

Vince accepted the phone and then frowned at it. “What do I say? It’s late. Maybe I’m better off ringing in the morning.”

Matt recognised procrastination when he saw it. “Why don’t you send him an SMS, saying you’re going to the pub to watch the Test match, and you hope to see him there?”

“Good idea!” Vince said. He sat upright and started punching keys furiously. “I need to get my own phone back in the morning, too. I hope it’s still working.”

“Where is it, anyway? You never said.”

Vince paused and looked up sheepishly. “It landed behind some boxes in the stables. I threw it away when Rhys sent me an SMS, trying to apologise.”

“You didn’t try to get it back?” Matt asked.

Typing away, Vince shook his head. “I didn’t want to take the chance on getting caught. I just wanted to get away as quick as I could.”

Matt eased himself up into a sitting position next to Vince and put his arm around Vince’s back.

“Done! I’ve put both our names on it, since it’s from your phone and he might not recognise it.”

“You’ve made the first move. It’s up to him now. We’ll find out tomorrow if he shows up or not.”

Vince put the phone on the side table and then wrapped his arms behind Matt’s neck. They were still kissing a couple of minutes later when the phone beeped.

Matt pulled away, against Vince’s obvious wishes, and reached over to retrieve his mobile. He glanced at the screen and pushed a button. “It’s from Rhys,” he said, and checked his watch. “He must be up late. Here, you read it.”

Vince took the phone and hesitated before he read the message. The broad grin that appeared on his face told Matt what he wanted to know.

“What did he say?”

Vince laughed. “He kept it short and sweet. ‘Thanks mate. See you then.’ I think he’s going to be okay with me.”

Matt felt like asking if there was any doubt, but he sensed that Vince had had concerns. Instead, he rolled off the bed and stood up.

“Where are you going?” Vince asked, wide-eyed with surprise.

“It’s time I joined Shane in the spare room and got some sleep. We’ve got a busy day tomorrow before we go to the pub.”

“Why don’t you stay here tonight? Mum didn’t object when I suggested it earlier. It’ll be a lot more comfortable than those old camping beds we set up.”

Matt looked down at his pleading boyfriend. He was tempted to give in, but he knew it would be wrong. He sat down on the side of the bed.

“I’d love to, but I can’t. Your mum is so happy to have you back she probably wouldn’t say anything, no matter what you did or said. No, the real reason is that you’ve been my boyfriend for less than six hours. I told you that I want to take the time to learn to love you, and I mean you, not your body. Sex now would confuse things for both of us.”

“We don’t have to have sex – I just want you here with me.” Vince patted the bed next to him.

Matt leant over and kissed Vince, but backed away before Vince could pull him closer.

“You might be okay, but I don’t think I’d have that much willpower. It’s safer for me to go now. I really want this to work, Vince, and I don’t want to mess things up. I made the mistake of confusing sex with love once before, and I don’t want to take that chance with you.”

Vince’s forehead wrinkled. “So that means...” He shook his head. “Okay, I think I understand. I’m not happy, but I’ll go along with it.” Vince reached over and pushed a finger into Matt’s chest. “Just don’t leave me waiting too long, okay? I want to know what I’ve been missing.”

Matt smiled and moved so he could embrace Vince. He gave him a long and thorough kiss before standing up.

“Time for me to go while I still can. I believe your birthday is in April...”

“Yeah, the sixth. What has that... are you saying you’re going to make me wait that long?” Vince appeared outraged.

Matt chuckled. “I’m not saying anything. Goodnight, Vince. I’ll see you in the morning.”

* * *

Shane was sitting with Mia, Padma and Karen at The Cricketer’s Arms. The other boys were slouched nearby watching the cricket, as were several other groups of people. Vince had a beer in front of him, as Warren had nominated himself as the designated driver for the group from the Asters’ farm.

A cheer ran through the crowd.

Shane looked up. “It looks like someone has just hit a four. Who’s in at the moment?” he asked, raising his voice to reach the guys.

“Hayden and Ponting,” Warren replied, eyes fixed on the large screen. “Ponting hit the boundary. It looks like they might be able to save things, after that rotten start.”

Shane turned back to the girls. “What was the rotten start? I must’ve missed it.”

Mia laughed. “Phil Jacques was out in the third over, and Australia was one for two. South Africa was on top, but since lunch the game’s gone back Australia’s way.”

“You’ve actually been following the game? And how come we’re not playing England? I thought the Boxing Day Test was always against the Poms.”

Padma smiled. “We play England when they’re out here, which is every second year. The other years it’s whoever is touring at the time. How can you be an Aussie and not know that?”

“It might sound unpatriotic, but I find cricket boring. At least Test cricket. One-day cricket is okay, but overall I prefer rugby.”

“Better looking guys?” Karen asked, sneering.

Shane narrowed his eyes. “Is that what you think?”

“Karen, Shane. Please, no fighting. We’re all here because of Vince, so let’s keep it civil,” Mia said before anyone else could say anything.

Karen sniffed. “Okay, Mia, but I think it’s rich that fairy boy here is talking about sport when he’s so ignorant of basic things.”

Shane bit his lip to stop himself from saying something he’d regret later. Insults normally rolled off his back, but this was one of Mia’s friends, and he’d wanted to make a good impression.

“Karen...” Mia said, glaring a warning at her friend.

“Okay, okay. I’ll shut up,” Karen said. She stood up. “I think I’ll join the others for a bit.”

Mia waited until Karen was out of earshot. “I’m sorry, Shane, I really am. I don’t know why Karen’s so touchy today.”

“She’s nervous about going to Sydney,” Padma said. “She’s going to be all alone, and I think she’s resenting anything that interferes with spending these last few weeks with her friends.”

Mia nodded slowly. “You’re probably right. She’s always been a bit prickly, but what she said just now was over the top.”

Shane sighed with relief. “That’s okay. I’ve been called a lot worse than that. I don’t like it, but I’ve learnt to put up with it. Say, if you think she’s scared, how about getting Warren to talk to her? He lives in Sydney and can try to make sure she settles in okay.”

Mia tilted her head thoughtfully to the side as she contemplated Shane. “That’s a really good idea. After what she said, you’re being very kind to still try to look out for her. I think you need a boyfriend to help keep fools like her away from you,” she said.

Shane’s hands started shaking as he realised he’d been given a perfect lead. He took a quick breath to try to calm himself.

“I’m not looking for a boyfriend. I’m not gay.”

Mia’s jaw dropped, but Padma nodded and smiled.

“Everyone assumes I am, and it’s a waste of time trying to correct all of them, so I now only tell my friends,” Shane said.

Mia giggled. “And Mark has been so nervous around you! He’s going to be happy when I tell him.”

“Please don’t. I don’t want him to know,” Shane said.

“You don’t?”

Shane gave her a sheepish smile. “No. I know it’s petty, but teasing guys like him is one of my few pleasures in life. He’s trying really hard, but he keeps thinking I’m going to make a move on him, and I just find that hilarious.”

Mia put her hand over her mouth to try to smother her laughter. Padma was chuckling quietly to herself.

“Okay, we won’t say anything, will we Padma?”

Padma shook her head in agreement, grinning broadly.

“Oh, this is great. You’ve got Rhys, Mark and Bobby to tease and we can just sit back and enjoy it,” Mia said.

“Unfortunately, Rhys and Bobby don’t play the game. Rhys has me sussed out already. He’ll just give me a disgusted look and then either ignore me or play along. I don’t think he knows, but he’s worked out I’m harmless. Now Bobby... he’s got me confused. He’s just so laid back about the whole thing that I don’t know what to make of him. This was the first time we’ve met, but he just didn’t react, and everyone reacts when they meet me. I’m wondering if Bobby might be gay and likes effeminate guys.”

“He’s not gay,” Padma said. “He told Karen he’s not, and he wouldn’t lie about something like that.”

Shane thought about it for a moment. “Then I see two main possibilities. Either he’s bi, and so saying he’s not gay isn’t a lie – just misleading – or he’s met gay guys before and he’s comfortable around them.”

“I think he’s said he’s met the two gay lawyers here in town,” Mia said, looking over at Bobby.

“Matt mentioned that. He said Bobby slapped Rhys down a few weeks ago when Rhys made some sort of sarcastic comment, saying they were nice guys,” Shane said. “That must be it.”

“What about Warren? What do you make of him?” Padma asked.

“Now he’s an interesting character. I think the best description for him is that he’s a social chameleon,” Shane said.

“A what?” Mia asked.

“A social chameleon. He appears to match whoever he’s talking to. When he talks to me, he shows a number of effeminate characteristics, like the way he shakes my hand, but when he’s talking to one of the other guys, he goes all macho again. Even between the guys there’s a subtle difference in how he stands and acts, it’s just more pronounced when he’s talking to me. I wonder if it’s a talent he’s always had, or if he learnt it as part of his job. It’s certainly an advantage for someone in his career.”

Padma stared at Shane. “You don’t miss much, do you?”

Shane shrugged and gave a short giggle. “I’ve always been observant, but it’s taken me a long time to work out what things mean. I still get it wrong, too. Warren pointed that out to me when he came to see us in Dubbo. Individuals can’t be labelled that easily – there are too many exceptions. I never picked Matt to be gay, for example, and I’ve known him for years.”

Shane’s phone started ringing. He looked at the caller ID and smiled. “Excuse me, girls. I have to take this.”

He put the phone to his ear. “The handsome, dashing and debonair Shane!”

A chuckle came down the line. “You left off modest.”

“You’re too kind. What can I do for you, Bendy?”

“I’m looking for Matt. I’ve tried his phone, but he’s not answering it. Do you know where he is?”

“He’s here with me. Just a second and I’ll put him on.”

“Thanks Shane, and before you go...”

“Yes?”

“I’m still really sorry you’re straight. I think you’d make a great boyfriend.”

Shane blushed. “Don’t let Wayne hear you say that, or you’ll be looking for a new boyfriend.”

“He’s with me now and he happens to agree. Now, can you put Matt on? It’s important.”

“Okay, I’ll go get him now.” Shane stood up and gave an apologetic smile to Mia and Padma. “I’ve got to get Matt.”

He walked over to where Matt was chatting with Warren, Karen, Bobby and Mark. Matt kept an eye on the TV screen while he was talking. Vince was sitting next to him, listening to the conversation but not participating. Shane could sense that Vince was dying to be able to hold Matt’s hand, but couldn’t bring himself to be open in public. Shane glanced around and spotted Rhys ordering some drinks from the bar. He also noticed that Mia and Padma had rejoined the main group.

Shane held out his mobile, interrupting Bobby’s assessment of the state of play. “Matt, Bendy wants a word.”

Matt looked surprised but accepted the phone. “Merry Christmas, Brendan. For what do I owe this honour?”

“Bendy?” Mia asked Shane.

“Well...” Shane said, lowering his voice to a conspiratorial whisper, “his real name is Brendan Sol, but after I just happened to hear his boyfriend call him that, I just had to tell everyone, so the name stuck. There’s been lots of rumours about where the nickname came from, but neither Brendan or Wayne are saying.”

Shane wrinkled his forehead as he noticed Matt and Vince moving away from the group. Matt was frowning as he listened to Brendan.

“What’s going on?” Rhys asked, placing a tray of drinks on the nearest table. “No one’s watching the cricket!”

“Matt’s just taking a phone call from a guy called Bendy,” Bobby said.

Rhys stared for a moment and then handed Bobby a beer. “I don’t want to know.”

Bobby laughed. “According to Shane, practically no one knows, so don’t worry about it.”

Rhys picked up a green drink in a tall glass. “Here, Shane. Midori and lemonade, which must be so sickeningly sweet, I don’t know how you can drink it.”

“Thanks, Rhysie-poo. Would you like to try it and see for yourself?”

Rhys made a face. “No way! And if you’d like to find out what it’s like to wear that drink, just use that name again.” He ruined the threat by grinning.

“Okay, Rhysie-darling. No more Rhysie-poos for you.”

Rhys rolled his eyes before passing out the rest of the drinks. He put Matt’s and Vince’s on the table. Shane winked at Mia and Padma, who grinned in return.

A couple of minutes later, Matt and Vince rejoined the others.

“Here, Shane,” Matt said, handing back the phone. He was frowning.

“What’s wrong?” Shane asked.

Matt kept his voice low so he wouldn’t be overheard by any of the other hotel patrons. “Jamie came out to his dad yesterday, and he got a black eye as a Christmas present in return. He now needs a place to stay for a couple of weeks until his mum and her boyfriend get back from Perth, because they can’t get back any earlier on the tickets they’ve got. He’s with Brendan and Wayne at the moment, but those two are heading off tomorrow for a romantic week away, and Brendan doesn’t want Jamie left alone.”

“And Bendy was asking if you could take Jamie, right? What did you tell him?” Shane asked.

“I told him I’d call him back. I agree with Brendan that it’s better for someone to be with Jamie, even if he seems fine, but I can’t ask Vince’s parents to put up another guy. They’re already looking after the two of us.”

“What’s going on? I don’t understand,” Bobby said.

Matt started, as if he’d forgotten that the others were there. “Sorry. Jamie Kerr is a friend of ours from uni. His parents divorced a few years ago, and he lives with his mum, but since she went to Perth with her boyfriend, for Christmas, he went to stay with his dad while they’re away. He’s been out to his mum for some time, but hadn’t told his dad, and he’d decided to do it while he had the chance. It sounds like that was a mistake. Brendan says Jamie appears cool, but he’s afraid he might be just putting up a facade. If I was at home, I’d go get him, but I can’t bring him here.”

He turned to Vince. “I don’t want to take you away from your family after only a day, but I don’t want to leave you behind, either. I think I’m going to have to tell Brendan I can’t help. What do you think?”

The uncertainty in Matt’s voice showed that he didn’t like any of the options.

“What’s this Jamie guy like?” Bobby asked. “Do you trust him?”

Shane answered for Matt. “He’s a cool guy. Honest and open, which is probably why he told his dad, because he doesn’t like hiding, anymore. I’m not sure what you mean by your question, but he’s not a druggie or anything like that.”

“Okay, then bring him here,” Bobby said. “He can stay at my place.”

“What?” Rhys asked. He looked surprised.

“I said he can stay at my place. We’ve got the room and that way he won’t be a burden on Vince’s family. The rest of you will have to look after him while I’m at work, but he’ll have a place to sleep.”

Matt smiled and reached over to shake Bobby’s hand. “Thanks, mate. I owe you big time for this.”

Bobby grinned back. “No, you don’t. It’s nothing, really.”

Vince broke in. “What about your parents?”

The others who knew Bobby’s mum and dad all made faces.

Bobby turned his head to stare blankly in the direction of his house. “They’ll have to deal with it. I’m not backing down on this one.” He looked back at Shane. “How about the two of us go get Jamie now? Unless Matt needs to come, I think he should stay here.”

Shane glanced at Mia before responding. He didn’t see any clues as to how to play it, so he went with his instincts. “I know where Bendy lives, so that sounds good to me. We should be back in time for dinner.”

“Thanks, Bobby, Shane. You don’t know how much I appreciate this,” Matt said.

Bobby stood up, smiling. “Come on, Shane. Let’s go.”

Shane had his phone to his ear. “Just a sec. I’m ringing Bendy to let him know and make sure it’s okay to go there now,” he said to Bobby.

“Brendan.”

“Bendy! Good news. A friend and I are just about to leave to pick up Jamie. We’ve found a place for him to stay.”

“That’s great! I’ll tell him to get ready. When will you get here?”

“In a couple of hours, so there’s no rush.”

“A couple of hours? Where are you?”

Shane chuckled. “Mourton.”

“Mourton? What the hell are you doing in that backwater?”

“Careful, Bendy. Matt’s new boyfriend lives in Mourton, and I don’t think either of them will like you disparaging the place.”

There was silence for a couple of seconds. “Matt’s got a boyfriend? It sounds like you’ve got a lot of gossip to pass on, but if I try to get it now, you won’t get here for ages. Just make sure you fill me in before you disappear, okay?”

“Okay, Bendy. I’ll call you when we reach Dubbo. See you soon!”

Bobby and Shane waved goodbye to the others and left the pub. Shane balked when he found out what vehicle he’d be travelling in.

“You’ve got to be joking! Is that thing capable of making it to Dubbo in one piece?” Shane asked, running his eye down the rusty side of Bobby’s Corolla.

Bobby chuckled. “It’d better, because otherwise we’ve got a long walk ahead of us. A nice long run will do the engine a world of good.”

“How about we borrow someone else’s car, instead?”

Bobby unlocked the passenger-side door. “Get in, Shane. I promise you it’ll be safe.”

Shane reluctantly climbed in while Bobby opened the other door. “I’m telling you now, I’m not walking.”

Bobby put the key in the ignition and looked at Shane. “Do you know how to pray?”

“Why?”

“She needs about five minutes of fervent prayer to get going. You’d better start now so we can be on our way.”

Shane fastened his seat belt. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness a miracle. Exactly what the miracle will be – the car starting, or just getting out of this alive – we don’t know, but everyone please pay careful attention.”

Bobby laughed and then turned the key. “Come on, baby. You can do it. Show this Doubting Thomas what you’re capable of it.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Shane said, holding up both hands and crossing his fingers.

The car started without any trouble, and they were soon on their way. Bobby tuned the radio to the cricket, which made Shane roll his eyes.

They were out of town and cruising on the main road towards Dubbo when Shane tried to chat with Bobby.

“I know you said it wasn’t a big deal, but I find it remarkable that you were so quick to offer Jamie a place to stay. Good, and I’m really happy, but it was certainly a surprise.”

Bobby reached over and turned the radio down to a soft murmur. “It was the right thing to do, so I did it.”

“Just curious, but what made you decide to offer Jamie a place to stay?” Shane asked.

“Does it matter? He needs help, doesn’t he? Isn’t that a good enough reason?”

“But you don’t know him!”

“I know enough,” Bobby said. He opened his mouth to say something more, then closed it and shook his head.

“What do you know that you think is enough?”

Bobby shot Shane a quizzical glance. “You’re getting a bit nosey, aren’t you? Why do you want to know my reasons?”

Shane paused to consider. He didn’t think Bobby sounded upset – he sounded puzzled.

“I don’t know you, and you don’t know Jamie at all, but you’re willing to open up your house to a complete stranger. Not many people will do that,” Shane said.

Bobby shrugged his shoulders. “You said he was open and honest. Matt trusts you and I trust Matt. That’s enough for me.” He paused. “I’ve got other reasons, too, but they’re personal, so don’t bother asking.”

Shane raised an eyebrow. “Now you’re making me curious. Come on, you can tell me.”

Bobby laughed. “I’ve been told a little frustration can be good for the soul, so this is my good deed for the week – not telling you.”

Shane crossed his arms. “Fine. In that case, I’ll just have to make something up. It’s probably more fun that way, anyway.”

Bobby responded by grinning and turning the radio back up. “Damn! We’ve missed a wicket!”

* * *

Jamie Kerr sat on the edge of a lounge chair, a small bag of personal stuff at his feet. A larger bag was by the door, ready to go when Shane arrived. The tight curls of his black hair were still damp from the shower he’d just taken.

“Thanks again for putting me up, guys,” he said.

Brendan looked up from the TV. “It wasn’t a problem, mate. I’m just sorry you had your Christmas ruined by your arsehole dad.”

Wayne glanced across and grinned. “What he said.”

Jamie shrugged. “It’s over and time to move on. I don’t think I’ll be seeing him again, so there’s no point in worrying about it.”

Inwardly, Jamie was still seething. Being punched by his dad was just the latest in a series of incidents that seemed to indicate that life was against him. None of them were very significant by themselves, but it was the cumulative effect that was getting him down. Even being with Brendan and Wayne was annoying him because it just emphasised Jamie’s single status. The way they were looking after him, like he was a kid and not nineteen, irritated him too, but after the way the two guys had confronted his dad that morning to retrieve his stuff, he couldn’t say anything. They were going out of their way to help him, and it would be ungrateful to complain.

“Shane should be here any minute,” Brendan said. “That’s unless he’s gotten lost again, of course.”

“You didn’t have to organise this. I’d’ve been all right,” Jamie said.

Brendan shook his head. “And take the chance you’d have New Year’s Eve by yourself? No way!”

Jamie was trying to think up a reply when the doorbell rang. Brendan got up to answer it.

“G’day, Shane,” Brendan said, holding out a hand in greeting as the visitors entered.

Shane took the hand and smiled. “Merry Christmas, Bendy. Merry Christmas, Wayne.”

Wayne waved from his chair. “Merry Christmas, Shane!”

Jamie stood there, mouth open. He had a thing for tall guys, and the guy next to Shane was a real hunk. He was horrified to realise he must look shocking, with an old T-shirt and board shorts. It wasn’t what he’d prefer to wear to make a good first impression. He hoped the black eye would earn him some sympathy to make up for the rest.

“Hi, Jamie! This is Bobby. He’s offered to put you up at his place,” Shane said.

Jamie barely glanced at him. “Uh... hi, Shane. G’day, Bobby. I really appreciate you doing this for me.” He discreetly wiped his hand on his pants and stepped forward to greet Bobby.

“Hi, Jamie. Pleased to meet you, and it wasn’t a problem.”

Jamie mentally crossed his fingers. “I hope your boyfriend doesn’t mind.”

Bobby laughed. “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

Jamie grinned. He was going to have a couple of weeks with Bobby and if it was going well, he thought he might be able to stretch that out until the university started again.

“And I’m straight, but I hope you won’t hold that against me,” Bobby added.

Jamie didn’t let his smile slip, but he kicked himself mentally. Once again he’d let his hopes get too high, too fast.

“As long as you don’t mind me being gay,” Jamie said.

“One of my best friends is gay, so I’d be in big trouble if I did. No, I don’t mind at all.”

Jamie’s eyes widened. “Oh? You’ll have to introduce me to him.”

Shane giggled. “Settle down, Jamie. He’s talking about Mattie’s new boyfriend.”

“You mentioned him before,” Brendan said. “Now sit and give us some gossip. I’m dying to find out who’s finally caught our elusive Matt.”

Jamie stepped back and let Shane take centre stage. He sighed softly and thought that at least he’d have someone good-looking to watch, even if there wasn’t anyone he could touch.

“I don’t gossip,” Shane said, turning up his nose at Brendan, who grinned in reply.

“If that’s a New Year’s resolution, you’ve got another six days before you have to obey it,” Wayne said, rising to his feet. He stepped over to greet Shane and Bobby.

Shane considered Wayne’s dry observation for a moment and then grinned. “You know, you’re right. Okay, here’s the abbreviated version. The complete story will have to wait until we’ve got a couple of hours to spare.”

Because of the lack of seats, Jamie leant against a wall while he listened to Shane with half an ear. His eyes were downcast as he wondered what to do with his life. He knew he needed to turn things around, but he was struggling to work out how.

Sensing something, he looked up and found Bobby contemplating him. Jamie raised an eyebrow in surprise and Bobby gave him a small smile in return. A slow grin spread across Jamie’s face. Maybe there would be possibilities with Bobby, after all, he thought.

Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I´m curious about Bobby´s reasons, too, but they are most likely revealed before the end of the story.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/05/2014 06:06 AM, Suvitar said:
I´m curious about Bobby´s reasons, too, but they are most likely revealed before the end of the story.
The clues are there, but you'll find out the reason in due course :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..