Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 3,737 Words
  • 432 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lethal Loose Ends - 13. Chapter 13

The Final Chapter. It all comes together. Then , of course, the epilogue

Chapter Thirteen

13.1 Time passes.

‘I hate this waiting. It’s been several weeks since you visited with the Attorney and the detective, yet we’ve heard nothing. After I gave you Simon’s number did anyone contact him? Can’t you call this Norman and get an update.?’

‘What good would that do? He’ll call me when he’s ready.’

Both Paul and Jaimee fell into a depressive mood after the visit to Norman Gibson’s office. It had been several weeks and they’d heard nothing. At work, they went through the motions of normality, but each evening brought apprehension and much booze. Although their sex life diminished, the fear only strengthened their love. Without belaboring the point, they both became resigned to Paul being incarcerated for some time. They couldn’t forget the Detectives admonition ‘you can’t sugar-coat crime’. The only question seemed to be how long would Paul spend in jail and how they’d both cope.

With this constant, they clung to each other, believing their time together will be short. In bed every night they fell into each other’s arms and tried to comfort each other with deep kisses and soft endearments. Although desire remained, it had to be buried for the time being until their future as a couple became clear. As each day passed, Paul resigned himself to a negative outcome and soon became fatalistic about his future. On the other hand, Jaimee became more stressed even though he wasn’t involved. He feared for Paul’s future and the likely bodily harm he’d face if he were sent to jail. Jaimee just couldn’t face life without Paul.

. . . and so they waited.

13.2 The Boardroom.

Paul looked up as Brother Tom Asher strolled into his office and without invitation sat himself down.

‘Hi there Tom, you’re all ready for our Board meeting. I’m just finalizing my presentation on our Financial position. We’ve had a good month and I’m sure you’ll be . . .’

‘How are you, Paul? you look a bit tired. Are you getting enough sleep?’

‘Yeah, yeah, I’m Ok . . . it’s been a hectic month especially with the software glitch that put us about three days behind. Thankfully that’s been resolved . . . (laughing) for now anyway.

‘Good to hear. Look I came down to let you know we won’t be needing you at this morning’s . . . (Paul started to protest) yes, I expect you’re surprised, but we’ve got some other matters to discuss which don’t involve yourself. We know you’re very busy so we don’t want to waste your valuable time. Obviously, I can’t go into any detail now, but we’ll let you know the outcome soon.’

‘But what about my report? I’m bound to report to the Board of Elders each month. That’s my fiduciary responsibility as outlined in my contract . . .’

‘Yes, yes I know. Just for this month simply attach the report to the board minutes. If there are any questions we can discuss them next month. Now the meetings about to start, so I’d better get going. We’ll talk soon.’

And left, leaving a confused Paul behind.

What’s going on? The Chief Financial Officer’s report is an important part of any board meeting. Why am I being asked to not give my presentation today? And what’s the other matter that’s so important? Also weird I’ve been told by Brother Tom and not my mother. I wonder if this has been done without mother dearest knowing?’

<<<>>>>

‘All right, we’re all here so let’s get started. I formally open the July (xxxx) Board Of Elders meeting of Shephard Ministries. (Banging a gavel) You have a copy of the Agenda so let’s move to point one . . . the acceptance of last month’s minutes. Does everyone agree?’

Cynthia Hudson always chaired the monthly board meetings, being recognized as an effective chairperson. This morning she wore a black and white blouse and full-length skirt. With her hair pulled back into a tight bun she looked the very essence of a successful but conservative businesswoman. The Boardroom itself reflected austerity with light-brown walls, dark grey carpet, and orange drapes. Significantly no religious paraphernalia adorned the walls. No crosses, no portraits of Jesus nor any paintings depicting devout themes.

As no-one voiced any disagreement with the previous minutes, Cynthia announced their acceptance. She was about to move onto the next item when a voice interjected from amongst the assembled Elders.

‘Madam Chairperson, I move to suspend ordinary business for a special matter.’

‘What do you mean Tom? you can’t suspend Ordinary business and discuss something that’s not on the Agenda. You must have a Seconder and then a vote to dispense with Ordinary Business; you know that don’t you or are you just being your usual ignorant, annoying self?’

‘Thank you Madam Chairperson. I hereby move to suspend the Agenda so we can discuss a matter of vital importance to the continuing affairs of Shephard Ministries.’

‘(Anger) Fine! Does anyone second the motion?’

‘I second the motion.’

‘I second the motion.’

‘Alright, let the minutes record that Brother James Manson and Brother Gerry Hooper have seconded the motion. Now we must vote that the motion be adopted. To the motion that further discussion of the Agenda be suspended please vote with a show of hands for ‘yea’ and if the matter . . .’

Cynthia sat stunned when every board member raised their hands to support the motion. She looked to her husband who seemed equally bewildered. Bernard simply shrugged. A vague feeling of doubt began to form and she became angry.

‘I have to tell you I find this intolerable. Any meeting must follow the Agenda prepared in advance, you’ve all had ample time to let me know if you want to discuss anything special. The place to do this is under ‘General Business’ in the Agenda. Alright Tom it’s your motion, I take it you’ll talk to the motion. Go on, the floor is yours.’

Elder Tom Asher stood and drew himself up to his full height of 178 cm and, even if a bit on the pudgy side, he looked impressive. For some time he just viewed his fellow board members and then with a clear voice.

‘For some time now I’ve been hearing rumors about our accounting procedures. These rumors implied that certain transactions were illegal and . . .’

‘HOW DARE YOU! Are you casting aspersions on my son Paul? If you are you cretin, you’d better watch it, you just can’t stand there and make broad accusations without any proof. I’ll have our legal . . .’

‘Oh I can assure you, Madam, I have the proof. Now if you’ll just shut up and let me continue; and no further interruptions if you please. I decided to wait and see if these rumors persisted or if they would go away. Alas they didn’t, and I decided to take action. With the concurrence of my fellow members, I appointed a firm of Accounts to undertake an audit . . .’

‘Yes, I want to address that, you went ahead without consulting myself or my husband . . .’

‘I said SHUT UP MADAM! I have the floor . . . not your big mouth. I met with the Accountants just recently and they presented me with this. (Pulling a bright red folder engraved with a logo from his briefcase) It’s their final report and confirms my worst suspicions.’

‘OH NO YOU DON’T! you can’t present anything to the board without my prior approval. After all the report has been paid out of Church funds and therefore is the property of myself as Chairperson. I’ll decide . . .’

‘That’s where you’re wrong Cynthia . . . I paid the Accountants out of my own monies. Now shut up, or I’ll move that you’re out of order and have you removed.’

Cynthia spluttered into silence, as the Elder continued.

‘The report is very detailed, but in essence, it states that Shephard Ministries have been involved in money-laundering for some time. The report . . .’

‘WHAT! That’s outrageous! How dare you make wild assumptions and cast doubt on the integrity of . . .’

‘SHUT UP WOMAN! you’re getting annoying. The proof of the scheme operating is outlined in the report which has been certified by a reputable Accounting firm. It’s my sad duty to inform members that the scheme was set up by Cynthia Hudson and her husband Bernard Hudson . . .’

Pandemonium broke out. Added to the surge of angry voices, Cynthia began to scream defiantly.

‘HOW DARE YOU! How dare you make such wild and unsubstantiated accusations. Neither Bernard nor myself know anything about any money-laundering schemes, you’re a liar, sir, and god will strike you down and send . . .’

‘So you deny you had nothing to do with setting up a money-laundering operation at Shephard Ministries for your own personal gain?’

‘YES! Stupid. I don’t know anything about such a scheme!’

At that, the Elder produced a mobile phone and pressed ‘play’. Suddenly Cynthia’s voice boomed across the room,

(clapping) Oh, what a speech; maybe politics is more your game. All I can say is . . . SO WHAT! All that winging and emotional crap has nothing to do with the current situation . . . YOUR current situation, yes, maybe we did use you; and as you say, the whole idea is brilliant. But let’s talk facts. Under no circumstances can the laundering scheme be disrupted . . . it’s too important. It’s made us fabulously rich and unless you stop bleating about your poor lot, you’ll share in that wealth. I might also add, our ‘friends’ would not be happy if the scheme is discontinued because you aren’t competent to deal with problems. THEY WON’T BE HAPPY . . . WITH YOU!’

A stunned silence descended and all eyes turned to Cynthia in disbelief. All vestige of color had drained from her face and from her open mouth, only unintelligible sounds could be heard. This tableau, of utter disbelief, frozen in time, continued for several agonizing seconds until Cynthia’s vocal cords returned to normal.

(Unpleasant) Where . . . where . . . where did you get that?’

‘Where? Why from your son, of course. Because you simply ignored his warnings and just went ahead, he’s been compiling a dossier of recorded verbal meetings, and any other evidence of your culpability . . . and that includes you too Bernard.’

‘(Malicious) Why that ungrateful little faggot . . . I’ll make sure he’ll never . . .’

‘Be careful Madam, my son is gay and I love him very much. He’s a beautiful person as are most gay people. It’s one matter I want to change about this church . . . it’s attitude to gay individuals.’

‘This is ridiculous! What do you hope to achieve by this crap? No court in the land would dare to . . .’

‘SHUT UP CYNTHIA! We want you gone. I hereby move that Pastor Cynthia Hudson and Pastor Bernard Hudson be stripped of all titles and banned from any official association and representation of Shephard Ministries. The Secretary will record this motion. (the secretary nodded) I call for seconders.’

This time there were multiple seconders. After their names were recorded, Brother Asher continued,

‘We will now take a vote. All those in favor of the motion ‘that Pastor Cynthia Hudson and Pastor Bernard Hudson be stripped of all titles and banned from any official association and representation of Shephard Ministries’, please raise their hands.’

The motion was carried unanimously.

‘I’ll get you for this bastard! you think you’re clever? you don’t know who you’re dealing with, your days are numbered CUNT! All of you . . . All of you are dead meat! Count . . .’

As if on cue, the boardroom doors opened and seven cops entered the room. Three walked to Cynthia and the other three took up position behind Bernard. The seventh cop faced Cynthia and intoned,

‘I am Senior Detective Ron Meadows and under Section 10.2 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act of 1995, I’m arresting you Cynthia Hudson and you Bernard Hudson of Money-Laundering as specified under that legislation. I must warn you of your rights . . . you don’t have to say anything, but if you do. . .’

With that, both Hudsons were handcuffed and led away. As soon as they’d departed, Brother Asher turned to the Secretary and asked to have Paul Hudson join them in the boardroom.

<<<>>>

Paul sat studying comparatives for the current month unmindful of the conversation buzz echoing around his department, then his door crashed open and his clearly agitated assistant burst in,

‘Paul, Paul, have you heard what’s happening . . .’

Just then Paul’s intercom rang . . .

‘Yes, Hudson here . . . say again . . . Now? What’s . . . Ok, ok, I hear you . . . I’m leaving now.’

‘Paul, what’s going on? There are cop cars outside and half a footy team of police has been seen making their way to the Boardroom? Do you . . .?

‘I don’t know mate . . . haven’t a clue. I’ve just been ordered up to the Boardroom and I’ll let you know as soon as I get back’

. . . if I get back!

Paul had just entered the foyer when he came face to face with his mother and father, handcuffed and surrounded by cops. He recognized Detective Ron Meadows, who simply ignored him . . . but his mother didn’t.

Cynthia had come apart. Gone the supreme arrogance, the superiority, and nauseating confidence. Instead, her eyes bulged wildly, with droplets of dribble on her chin. Handcuffed, she stumbled as her escorts urged her to walk faster. Paul felt a moment of guilt until she opened her mouth.

(Hissing) YOU DIRTY LITTLE ROTTEN INGRATE! POOFTER, FAGGOTT, SCUMBAG! you’re dead boy . . . dead, dead, dead! They’ll get you . . . they’ll get you . . . they’ll get you . . .

Paul stood in a state of shock until her demented ravings faded, and then with legs of cement, he continued to the boardroom. Stopping before the door, he tentatively knocked and was instructed to enter. The atmosphere reeked of confusion and drama. Accepting his fate he decided to pre-empt being fired and,

‘Look I don’t want this to get any nastier, so I’ll resign now with immediate effect. Of course, I’ll be available to hand over . . .’

Brother Asher interrupted,

‘Paul, Paul, sit down my boy; here sit down in your mother’s chair. We’ll have no talk of resignation (stunned Paul sat down as requested) Of course you wouldn’t know that I’ve been having earnest conversations with the police and Attorney General. I must say we’re proud of you. You’ve shown integrity and courage to stand up to your own parents and, with no thought for your own future, have brought their illegal activities to the notice of the authorities. You were prepared to sacrifice your own future to stop your parents from bringing this church into disrepute. (sounds of Here! Here! echoed around the room). Originally the Police needed to arrest you for overseeing the money-laundering scheme, but I convinced them that you’ve acted most unselfishly and had indeed suffered the frustration of being under illegal orders from, primarily, your mother for a long time. No further action is envisaged and I have a signed statement here from the Attorney General to that effect . . . you’re clear son.’

Paul could hardly believe his ears. The phrase ‘No further action’ kept reverberating through his brain. Raw emotion overcame him and he started to sob. Brother Asher came up behind him and put his arm around his shoulder in support. Apart from Jaimee, he’d never felt such kindness and comfort from another human being. When he recovered some control he asked,

‘Do you want me to continue on as General Manager? If so, I need to tell you something about my personal life; you see . . .’

‘Yes, Paul we know you’re gay and you should be proud. My son is gay so I know the real suffering that gay people have to endure from a very ignorant society. To answer your question we would very much like you to continue as General Manager. It’s seldom we encounter such integrity in a young person, so it’s a privilege to have a person such as yourself in the General Manager role. It definitely is!’

‘I . . . I, don’t know what to say. I’m . . . I’m a bit overwhelmed. For the past few months I’ve reconciled myself to some sort of jail sentence, and . . . and . . .now . . . I . . .’

‘Yes, I speak for all at this table, Paul. We know how difficult this has been for you, and you’ve had to do this all alone. You’ve never had a father in the real sense Paul, so if you’d allow me, I’d like to offer myself in that role, should you need me. As I said my own son is gay and it would please me if you could be friends. He’s only 16 and dearly needs someone younger than I to relate to. I’m certainly not forcing anything on you or even asking you to take responsibility . . . just be a friend if that’s possible.’

‘Of course Brother Asher . . .’

‘Please call me Tom . . .’

‘Thanks . . .Tom, you’ve done so much to help me . . . much, much more than my adopted Father has ever done . . . than anyone has ever done. Yes, I’d really like to take up your kind offer of support and I’d like to meet with your son, soonest. Umm . . .what’s his name?’

‘Jeremy. Well good, that’s all settled. Now we’ve reviewed your salary and (placing a piece of paper in front) and this is the new annualized payment we’d like you to accept. Now, I need a drink; how about we adjourn for lunch. Will you join us, Paul?

13.3 Mornington Police Station.

Around the same time, Detective Meadows, having completed the formal charges of Cynthia and Bernard Hudson, now contemplated his coming meeting with the person waiting in another interview room. He smiled gleefully, relishing the prospect. Before entering the room he peered through the one-way mirror to see his subject sitting apprehensive and impatient. Satisfied he opened the door and entered.

Lan Van Duong looked up with ill-concealed hostility.

‘I demand a reason for this outrage. I’ve been escorted, against my will, to this place, and made sit for two hours waiting for an explanation. I require to see a superior officer.’

‘Good morning Mr. Duong, this will not take long. The reason you’ve been kept waiting is because I’ve just arrested Cynthia Hudson and her husband Bernard Hudson on charges of money-laundering.’

Lan’s eyes narrowed slightly at the news, but outwardly he showed no reaction.

‘And what has that useless information to do with me?’

‘(Ignoring the question) The only reason we haven’t arrested you is because we haven’t got specific proof of your involvement . . .Yet!’

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about but I take it I’m not here to be charged with anything?’

‘As I said . . . not yet! However, I need to have a chat and issue a warning. You and I Lan are two sides of the same coin. I work within the law and you work outside the law. However, we’re both capable of doing bad things . . .’

‘I protest! I strongly protest, and if there are no charges I’ll simply take my leave before . . .’

‘You’ll leave when I say you can leave. Sit down!, you recently issued a threat to Mr. Paul Hudson that if he went to the authorities and provided evidence of the wrongdoing between yourself and his mother Cynthia, you’d harm his partner, Mr. Jaimee Burrows . . .’

‘REDICULOUS! I did no such thing. This is an outrage Detective; I’ll have your badge . . .’

‘SHUT IT! This isn’t a formal meeting, in fact it never happened. I’m here to warn you that if any, I repeat if any, harm would come to Mr. Burrows or Mr. Hudson, your passport will be canceled and you’ll be charged with possessing a banned substance . . . probably heroin because we have a big supply in our store. Do you understand . . . Lan?’

Lan’s black eyes glittered with hatred as he glared at the Detective. But inside he experienced fear . . . and panic, for he realized he’d met his match. This man would do as he threatened and Lan’s comfortable existence would end . . . badly. He smiled evilly.

‘It seems we have an understanding Detective. Very clever . . . no witnesses and no recording of this conversation. Am I correct?’

‘(Once again ignoring the question) In the meantime we’ll be interrogating the Hudsons and whilst I don’t expect any breakthrough with Cynthia Hudson, I’m confident her husband will be very helpful. As soon as I have evidence that implicates you, we’ll talk again . . . and incidentally your passport is now on a watch list so you can’t use it to flee the country, you can go now.’

The Detective stood up and approached the door . . . but hesitated.

‘You know Duong, I really want you dead. Slimes like you don’t deserve to breathe the same air as decent folks, and the law doesn’t often meek out justice. I’m just letting you know I’m thinking I should put a contract out on you . . . so watch your back. Have a nice day!’

. . . and Lan knew the real meaning of fear.

Back in his office Ron Meadows picked up his phone and called Paul, giving him a synopsis of his talk with Lan.

‘You and Jaimee have nothing further to worry about Paul, It’s over lad. The threat to both you and Jaimee no longer exists. Have a good life.’

Thanks for reading. Almost over . . . Just the Epilogue
Copyright © 2021 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Thanks for reading. Any comments to help me improve my writing would be appreciated
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..