Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 462 Words
  • 1,563 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lethal Loose Ends - Prologue. Prologue

To set the theme. No intentioned cruelty to animals and I apologize if this offends anyone

On the way home he kept going over the man’s threat . . .the blackmail threat. He felt dizzy trying to deal with all the ramifications. One thing for sure, he wasn’t going to involve his partner.

How can I? Best if he’s ignorant of the whole matter. My way is clear . . . I’ll just do what they say. I’ll continue as usual at the church and not go to the police. If that’s what’s required, If all they want is my silence to keep my dearest safe, then that’s what I’m gonna do. To hell with me! My life’s over . . . sure I’ll be charged and jailed . . . and killed . . . in jail. I know how these cretins work. All loose ends are taken care of. I have it coming. No amount of self-pity is gonna change my guilt. Oh, my sweet lover. . . what a bad choice he’s made in partners. NO! I’ll just take my punishment like a man. But if I can do anything to bring down my parents that’s gonna be reward in itself. In the short time left for me and him, I’m gonna make every second count . . I want to have as many good memories as possible.

Having made his decision and accepted his fate, he started to feel better. The thing about making a decision, albeit a not so pleasant one, is a relative calm descends. The mind no longer is a morass of conflicting choices and fears. In this frame of mind, he drove into their garage and entered the house.

An uncomfortable feeling gripped him as soon as he opened the front door. Something wasn’t right. He sensed an invisible presence . . . an invasion of privacy . . . something evil . . . and a smell.

Cautiously he made his way around the house checking the lounge area, the kitchen, the master bedroom, the spare bedroom . . . the bathroom . . .

Behavioral analysis has shown that when confronted with pure horror the human brain seizes and refuses to accept the reality it perceives. The brain, as a defense mechanism, tries to deny reality. This happened to him when he opened the bathroom door and saw the mangled, butchered body of the dog, hanging up by a meat hook, on the shower rail.

He just stared, and stared . . . silently screaming . . . until his vocal cords became active . . . and he collapsed in a heap . . . mumbling over and over . . . No! No! No! . . . please, no, no, no . . .

. . . because now his lover was involved.

Copyright © 2021 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Wow 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Thanks for reading. Any comments to help me improve my writing would be appreciated
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Strong opening chapter, intriguing enough to hook the reader. And killing a dog establishes the villains as truly evil!

Link to comment

Thank you for the warning @grahamsealby. Although horrifying to read, it alerts the reader to the sheer evil of the person(s) who performed this act. I hope you have an equally, at least, painful ongoing existence or death in mind for them. 

Link to comment

Holy Tony Soprano...WOW...what an opening, the following truly set the tone for what followed!

 To hell with me! My life’s over . . . sure I’ll be charged and jailed . . . and killed . . . in jail. I know how these cretins work. All loose ends are taken care of. I have it coming.

Looking forward to more...well done sir!!!

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Thank you for the warning @grahamsealby. Although horrifying to read, it alerts the reader to the sheer evil of the person(s) who performed this act. I hope you have an equally, at least, painful ongoing existence or death in mind for them. 

 

Link to comment

Sometimes death is too good for retally evil persons. For instance, I wouldn't execute a Muslim terrorist . . . I'd lock him up for life in a pig's sty. Poor Pig!

Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Holy Tony Soprano...WOW...what an opening, the following truly set the tone for what followed!

 To hell with me! My life’s over . . . sure I’ll be charged and jailed . . . and killed . . . in jail. I know how these cretins work. All loose ends are taken care of. I have it coming.

Looking forward to more...well done sir!!!

 

Link to comment

Thanks for that. I don't like being over dramatic, and try to steer a middle course. The character, at this point, as the story unfolds, is in real anguish.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..