Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 3,401 Words
  • 1,202 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lethal Loose Ends - 6. Chapter 6

Paul confronts his parents

Chapter Six

6.1 The audit comes together

Surrounded by his under-grads, Jaimee considered the documents before him. They were copies of the Discharged Mortgages Register held at the Land Titles Office and clearly showed a mortgage being discharged on a property in Frankston just before the close of the previous financial year. The amount was large - $2,000,000 and explained why the Mortgage payments for last year were much bigger than the current year.

That’s where the transaction trail ended. No unencumbered property, with a Frankston address, appeared on either last year’s or this year’s Balance sheet. Nada! The property and all references to it disappeared as if it never existed.

‘Ummm, this don’t look good. Has anyone any idea of what’s going on?’

Jaimee didn’t expect a response because they were all green and working through their indenture period. Nevertheless, he had to ask anyway, but no one offered an opinion. But now Jaimee had a fair idea about what’s happening. It wasn’t good and immediately he thought about Paul.

Paul.

Driving back from Mount Matha beach neither Jaimee nor Paul felt like talking. Both were immersed in their own private thoughts. From time to time Jaimee chanced a look at Paul and noticed a grim set to his jaw. Silence seemed the only solution because to continue talking about their predicament would only open emotional scars. Not knowing what to say to help Paul, he turned his thoughts to . . . Simon.

What should I do? Should I tell Simon about Paul? What good will that do? Simon would immediately believe I’m gonna be unfaithful when I’m certainly not! No . . . best I keep my own council. Telling about Paul would only cause pain to Simon unnecessarily. Anyway, nothing has happened . . . we haven’t even kissed so I don’t have anything to be guilty about. Sure, I’ve got feelings for Paul, but I’m not gonna draw up a comparison chart trying to determine who I favor most. I’m happy with Simon; the sex is great and we’re compatible in many other ways. He’s a great lover, pays his way with the bills and . . . and he’s eye-candy.

Sadly, Paul’s jaw still had a grim set when they parted . . . and Jaimee hadn’t heard from him. Yes, that worried him, perhaps more than it should.

But the news about the Mortgage situation created a new priority and he had to set his personal life aside. After pulling up his earlier list of deposits and matching it with mortgage payments, Jaimee sensed he understood the big picture.

Someone sent monies to the church to pay off mortgages on properties listed as an asset on the Church’s balance sheet. These funds were also used to cover administration costs such as rates, insurance, etc. Because the amounts received were just below the Statutory reporting limit, they were suspicious. As soon as the mortgage conditions were met, the title was then transferred to another party, the asset sold, and the funds found their way into another bank account. Certainly not into the church bank accounts. There is a name for these activities,

Money laundering!

The church, apparently, carried out money-laundering with a party or parties unknown. To Jaimee the situation became clear; he had to document his suspicions and let his boss take it from there. Sitting back he re-visited his findings and began to have doubts. He didn’t know the legal ramifications and whether it would ultimately be a police matter. At best, the basic bookkeeping would not conform to Accepted Accounting Principles and someone had to be held accountable; at worst it seemed to be a clever system to launder money.

But who? Who was behind this scheme? This is where it became ugly. The whole scheme had been set up deliberately by senior church people in bed with some nasties. The sums involved indicated drug monies but it would be hard to track down the ultimate source. Two names had surfaced from his investigation; John William Goodfellow and James Peter Moody. No doubt these were aliases and almost certainly difficult to discover their real names. So what could he do? Confine his report to unacceptable accounting processes or indicate the bigger problem of laundering money. He needed to talk to Frank and get his advice.

And then there is Paul. What is his role in this? Would it be better for Paul if he just reported on bad accounting? NO! Out of the question. He couldn’t allow personal feelings to undermine his professional integrity. Whatever role Paul had in this sorry affair he’d have to take his own chances. And so, with a heavy heart, he picked up the phone and called Kristy Meadows, his boss’s secretary.

6.2 Paul confronts his parents

Sometimes fate hinges on the smallest of incidents. Paul walked into the audit team’s room in search of Jaimee but found the place empty. Assuming they were having a break, he turned to walk out when something caught his eye. It’s standard practice in any audit that working papers should be secured and out of sight when the room is unattended. However, one of the under-grads left a briefcase open and didn’t secure the contents properly. Intrigued, Paul pulled out some of the documents and blanched as he stared at a photocopied list of deposits under $10,000. Also, papers indicated a search of Mortgages discharged at the Land Titles Office. He knew exactly what this meant. Calling his mother, he demanded an urgent meeting.

<<<>>>

‘Well now, what’s so important?’

‘And hello to you mother. Just now I happened to see documents indicating the audit team have a list of the regular deposits your associates have been making. This suggests they are suspicious and paying special attention to these. Not only that, they’ve been to the Land Titles Office inspecting the Mortgage Discharge Register. It’s only a matter of time now before they cotton on to what’s going on. I just had to warn you before the shit hit’s the fan.’

‘I don’t see why you’re involving us; I mean you’re the CFO and in charge of all our church reporting. What do you expect us to do?’

‘Really father . . . you don’t? I well may be in charge but it’s you and mother who set this scheme up. I warned you at the time it would eventually come crashing down. The trouble is you’re just too bloody stupid to heed my warnings?’

‘Don’t you dare speak to your father like that. May I remind you young man you owe everything you have to us; and don’t swear in my presence.’

‘I’ll swear as much as I bloody-well please. What would you do . . . fire me?’

‘Now son, put your faith in the Lord; he’ll always come through for us.’

‘Oh, cut the crap! Over the years I’ve had to sit and listen to you both mewing about the Lord and bloody Jesus Christ until I want to vomit! You’re both frauds and we all know it. It might interest you to know I’m a fucking Atheist . . . a fucking bloody happy Atheist. So don’t give me any more God shit!’

‘I don’t give a shit what you believe you ungrateful child . . .’

‘Cynthia, did you hear our son, he’s . . . he’s just told us he’s . . . he’s . . . an Atheist. My God if this were to get out . . . ‘

‘Oh for Christ’s sake Bernie . . . shut it! Shut up and listen to the grown-ups. I repeat I don’t give a shit Paul what you believe you ungrateful child; it’s not important. What is important is how you’re gonna handle this audit investigation, you’re the big CPA, you’re the one with smarts, so how about engaging your brain now . . . or is it too fried with all the opium you smoke?’

Shit . . . she knows!

(Sniggering) I can see by the look on your face you didn’t realize we would check your movements. When I say ‘we’, not your father and I, but our ‘friends’. They have to be thorough and keep everybody involved under observation. They’re business-men after all, and we represent a big investment. We even know about your recent lunch date with the young auditor. I hope it went satisfactorily?’

(Ignoring the last) OK, so you know I Chase the Dragon . . . so what! Do you know why? (Cynthia just shrugged) I can’t stand it anymore. I’m a fucking nervous wreck and the only relief I get is for a few moments when I can close my eyes and try and forget the predicament I’m in.’

‘Predicament! . . . you’re in a predicament? What about the money we give you? Of course, a lot of it literally goes up in smoke. What about the cars you drive?. . . your own modern residence, that’s fully serviced and stocked with every luxury imaginable, you’re a good looking 24 y.o. male, who can have just about any woman he wants. And you winge about your ‘predicament’. Bloody hell, you’re just an ungrateful sorry piece of humanity. It’s about time . . .’

‘Thank you mother for your ringing endorsement and expressions of love. And you too . . . father, you sit back and let your wife use her putrid mouth to browbeat everybody. Why don’t you man up for once and put her in her place? HUH? I’ll tell you why, because you’re a gutless wonder. She’s the one with a dick! . . . not you! (his father started to splutter but Paul plowed on) Fuck you both anyway. I’m sick of being a pawn in your evil schemes, you’ve treated . . .’

‘Well haven’t you got balls all of a sudden. (laughing) It’s obvious you’re not your adopted father’s son, because I agree with you, he’s an insignificant coward. (the Pastor went to protest) Oh, shut up Bernie! you know you’re a weakling, and so does everyone else. Now, about the problem . . .’

‘Shut the fuck up mother! I’ve waited a long time to say this. You adopted me because you reckoned you could make me your creature and that’s exactly what you’ve done. You knew you wanted family to look after the Church’s seedy financial affairs so you went and found a young kid . . . me. I bet you even did tests to find out if I was intelligent. Actually, it’s brilliant, you knew I’d be beholden to you for taking me out of an orphanage . . . so much so I’d do anything for you. Then you raised me with only one purpose in mind, you gave me a private school education, you sent me to college to get my CPA. I didn’t want that because I hate accounting. I really wanted to be an Architect but that didn’t suit your plans . . .did it? Then you forced me to go along with your money laundering scheme. When I objected, remember what you threatened . . .do you? (Cynthia again just shrugged) you told me if I didn’t you’d toss me out without a penny, you’d just abandon me as if I were a piece of garbage. God . . . you disgust me!’

(Cynthia started clapping) Oh, what a speech; maybe politics is more your game. All I can say is . . . SO WHAT! All that winging and emotional crap has nothing to do with the current situation . . . YOUR current situation, yes, maybe we did use you; and as you say, the whole idea is brilliant. But let’s talk facts. Under no circumstances can the laundering scheme be disrupted . . . it’s too important. It’s made us fabulously rich and unless you stop bleating about your poor lot, you’ll share in that wealth. I might also add, our ‘friends’ would not be happy if the scheme is discontinued because you aren’t competent to deal with problems. THEY WON’ T BE HAPPY . . . WITH YOU!’

‘So that’s it then . . . I’m the fall guy. I’m just supposed to knuckle under and do what I’m told. Is that it? You’re prepared that I go to jail and keep my mouth shut. Well, I’m not . . .’

‘Oh don’t worry about Jail because that’s been covered. Once you’re married to Senator Simpson’s daughter Jenny, any case against you will be quashed. See we think of everything. By the way, how is the lovely Jennifer; I hope you’re treating her right because this coming marriage is vital to our future, y’hear?’

‘(Laughing) ‘See we think of everything; that’s what you said didn’t you mother? Well, let me tell you there won’t be any marriage to Jenny Simpson or to anybody . . . Mother, you see . . .

‘WHAT! What are you talking about? Of course, you’re going to marry Senator Simpson’s daughter. Of course you will! It’s been arranged for some time, you’re engaged . . . so get married!’

‘I can’t!’

‘Why not?

‘Because I’m gay! (laughing) I’m Gay mother and I’m gonna tell Jenny I’m gay and there won’t be . . .’

‘YOU’RE GAY! Don’t be stupid, you’re not gay! you can’t be gay. Now you listen . . .’

‘PAUL! PLEASE! STOP! you cannot be gay, because it is a mortal sin! As the Bible says . . . ‘Any man who lays with another man as he would lie with a woman is an abomination and shall surely be put to death. That’s what God has to say about the evil of Homosexuality, you know this! you’ve read the scriptures. How many times have I read aloud to you . . .’

‘OH SHUT IT, FATHER! I know Leviticus better than you do. I almost piss myself laughing whenever I see you cramming prawns and Lobsters into your fat mouth . . . or when you condone adultery, particularly when you know your own wife is screwing around . . .’

(Gasp!) THAT’S NOT TRUE! How dare you say that about your mother. She . . . she’s a pillar of virtue. What’s happened to you, Paul? you were such a nice young man, always obliging and courteous. Now you devastate me by saying you’re not only an Atheist but also a Faggot. I raised you to be my son; to love the Lord; to believe in the teachings of Jesus; to care for others, and to live a righteous life. Now . . . I don’t know who you are boy.’

‘HUH? you don’t know who I am! . . . I don’t know who I am! I don’t know even who my Biological parents are, because you both refuse to let me find out. I’m . . . I’m so fucking confused I have to smoke the ‘dragon’ to get peace. But one thing I do know . . . My Grandfather raped me when I was about twelve and kept raping me for several years until my late teens . . . and you, dear father, covered up for him . . .DIDN’T YOU?’

At Paul’s outburst, both the elder Hudson’s grew quiet. The scandal involving Bernie’s father, Richard loomed like the sword of Damocles over the family . . . well at least the senior Pastors. Now their son had just admitted he’d been a victim too. A spark of sympathy glowed in Cynthia’s bosom but then quickly extinguished. She had to be strong. True they’d used Paul since adopting him. Private School education, a college degree in CPA, mixing with senior politicians, and a planned society wedding were part of the strategic plan they adopted early in their rise to prominence. Being Gay didn’t upset Cynthia because, at their level of society, arranged marriages were common. It would be easy to sculpt a pre-nuptial to take care of the problem.

But admitting he’d been raped worried her. She didn’t know why but suddenly alarm bells were ringing. All the ingredients for Paul to turn against them were present and so presented a clear and present danger. She decided to end the meeting.

‘Alright, alright . . . that’s something Paul you definitely shouldn’t have suffered. Any rape is disgusting, and you dear husband are despicable for hiding your father’s crimes, you should apologize to Paul . . . not that I believe an apology will suffice. Look Paul, thank you for warning us, you’ve done the right thing and I’m grateful. I’ll talk to our partners to see if they have any suggestions. Thanks again, baby.’

<<<>>>

After Paul left Cynthis turned on her husband with eyes of fire.

‘My dear stupid Bernie, whether it’s dawned in your stupid head, our son is now a great danger to us. Were he to go to the cops and tell the story he’s just blurted out, he could turn States Evidence against us. He clearly hates us and with very good reason. Did you know that your pedophile father raped him? DID YOU? (a shamed Bernie indicated no) . We pushed him too far and now he hates us. He knows all our dirty secrets and were he to go to the police we’d be in big trouble. (long pause) . . . . he’s got to disappear Bernie . . a horrific accident!’

‘NO! No! . . . Surly you’re not saying that we should kill our own son? I didn’t think even you wife, were that cold and cruel. NO!! I WON’T HAVE IT . . . YOU MUST NOT . . . It’s unthinkable!’

’So what’s the alternative then, husband. Leave him alone so he can put us in jail? We’ll lose everything we’ve built up over the years. EVERYTHING! And there’s another aspect. Our associates are hard callous men. They may cover their tracks by wiping the slate clean . . . that means you and I are dispensable. We’ll be dangerous loose ends. Think about it!’

‘Oh my god . . . how did we . . . no you, get us into this mess? It was you who suggested we launder their money, yes, we get rich with our proportion of the property sales, but has it been worth it? A lovely young man is about to be killed to cover our greed, and it may mean our lives in the process. Would we never have agreed to this devil's contract? I’m feeling sick, sick to my soul. I can’t stop you . . . it’s too late now . . . just do what you have to do . . . wife.’

6.3 Paul smokes again.

Gradually the anxiety faded as the opium laced smoke permeated his body. Paul breathed a sigh and felt the terror diminish. Recalling every moment of his showdown with his mother he was amazed he could be so brave.

How I wanted to say those things so many times in the past. At least I laid the whole sorry mess at their feet. Curious they weren’t that fazed about my being gay. It only mattered that I wouldn’t be marrying little Jenny. I feel so free; I don’t have to hide anymore. My shit adopted father trying to quote scripture to me HA! What a dickhead! And talking of dicks did I really say that dear mother has a dick and not him. WOW! That was priceless. But at least I made it clear I’ wasn’t going to be their patsy. I’m not gonna take it up the arse for them anymore.

And now Jaimee. Why do I like Jaimee? It’s not that he’s gorgeous to look at; there’s something special, kind, and basically good about him. I know he wants to have sex but will not cheat on his lover. So he’s got a lover, but I can wait. I know we’re both gay and he does love me at some level. It shows he’s got integrity and that’s very rare. I’ve just got to be patient. Oh my . . . those beautiful legs and sexy bum. God, I want to be deep inside him and looking into those black eyes . . .

A stormy meeting with parents and Paul's back in the Opium den.
Copyright © 2021 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Thanks for reading. Any comments to help me improve my writing would be appreciated
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The plot thickens; Shepherd Ministries is laundering money for Zumba (identity unknown, but I have my suspicions as to who Zumba is/are). I strongly suspect some of their dirty money is from the opium den Paul visits. I envisage they are also involved in the importation of illegal drugs from Asia, trafficking underage girls (and maybe boys) from Asia for sale to pedophiles and to work in illegal brothels, illegal gambling and possibly wildlife smuggling. 

Cynthia is pure evil, a modern day Medea; Bernie a eunuch; and Paul, not surprisingly, severely disturbed. I don't care what happens to either Cynthia or Bernie, other than it renders them both facing death head on with no resources at their disposal. Paul has redeemed himself somewhat in this chapter, but he has essentially "dug his own grave" by allowing himself to be cajoled by his viperous mother into the money laundering racket.

Jaimee should run a mile unless he wants to become embroiled in the turmoil ahead.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

The plot thickens; Shepherd Ministries is laundering money for Zumba (identity unknown, but I have my suspicions as to who Zumba is/are). I strongly suspect some of their dirty money is from the opium den Paul visits. I envisage they are also involved in the importation of illegal drugs from Asia, trafficking underage girls (and maybe boys) from Asia for sale to pedophiles and to work in illegal brothels, illegal gambling and possibly wildlife smuggling. 

Cynthia is pure evil, a modern day Medea; Bernie a eunuch; and Paul, not surprisingly, severely disturbed. I don't care what happens to either Cynthia or Bernie, other than it renders them both facing death head on with no resources at their disposal. Paul has redeemed himself somewhat in this chapter, but he has essentially "dug his own grave" by allowing himself to be cajoled by his viperous mother into the money laundering racket.

Jaimee should run a mile unless he wants to become embroiled in the turmoil ahead.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, some of the laundered money definitely comes from the opium parlor. As you'll find out . . . . no, I can't say anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well now, it would appear the shite is hitting the proverbial fan...huummm, what a great potboiler!!!

Thanks for your comments. At this point the story gets a bit messy, but later on . . . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..