Jump to content
    Hamen Cheese
  • Author
  • 5,734 Words
  • 3,228 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Spirit of Vengeance - 6. Ch 06: Mountain Escort

Apologies for the delay in posting. Christmas vacation is done so I'm now back to writing/posting. Don't worry, this story will be completed as long as it's within my power. wink.png

- HC

* * * * * * * * * *

CHAPTER 6: Mountain Escort

Mistress Gwen was not naive. And she saw exactly the same thing that Lance probably saw upon the declaration that he would not be allowed to join the others of his form for their Rites.

I had something to do with Lance’s predicament.

She knew it wasn’t true, of course. All the masters probably did. It was The Lady who decided who moved on to become journeymen or masters. It was The Lady alone who decided. Not even Grand Master Assero, the highest-ranking mage in our community, had any say in such matters.

However, to trainees who have never seen The Lady, to people who have only heard of her spoken in quiet reverence, such infallible belief was hard to accept. Not everyone understood that no matter my position, no matter what relations I might have in the city, I could not in any way influence what had been decided regarding Lance’s punishment, for that was what it clearly was.

Many trainees seemed to think I was taking revenge on Lance for shamefully defeating me during training. If trainees like the one Ernie had beaten easily were not held back, there just did not seem to be any reason for Lance to be stayed for a whole year. Everyone seemed to agree on that and as such I became suspect in somehow manipulating Lance’s predicament.

What ostracism I had before multiplied itself severely as most people stayed clear of me as though afraid of upsetting me. They seemed to get the impression that I would exact revenge on those I did not like or got in my way. I highly suspected that Lance was spreading more rumors about me.

Nothing was said about the incident in my room. Then again, it wasn’t like anyone was really talking to me so for all I knew, they could have been talking about it and I just wasn’t privy to such discussions.

“Stop fidgeting,” Matty said, sounding exasperated. He looked annoyed too but I was pretty sure it wasn’t me who he was annoyed with but rather the group of trainees that were watching me warily and whispering among themselves. “Just ignore them.”

“Easy for you to say,” I complained. “You’re not the one who will be spending the next few days with them out in the middle of nowhere.”

“It’s not out in the middle of nowhere,” Matty said, rolling his eyes. He was right of course since we were going to a nearby mountain peak that would be familiar to anyone who studied the Rites. We, as lower form trainees, were tasked to accompany those of the higher forms who will undergo the Rites of Water. We were going to the Hoarfrost Caverns high up into one of the mountain peaks that bordered Malden. There, potential journeymen would be tested in mind and body. If they passed whatever tests awaited them, they would leave those caverns as journeymen. It was tradition that trainees of the lower form would wait outside the cavern to guard the path. “Besides, you’re going to be with several masters. If they’re not afraid enough of you, they’ll be quite afraid of the masters.”

“Thanks,” I said morosely.

“Cheer up, will you?” he said with a smile as he helped make sure the pack on my back was tied securely. “It’s only going to be a few days. You’ll also be with Nathan and Ernie. You won’t ever have to come anywhere near Lance at all.” Matty, being one form lower than me, would not be accompanying us. Instead, he would be one of the people guarding the entrance to the cavern when it was my turn to take the Rites.

I nodded heavily. Lance was somewhere in the courtyard where we were preparing to depart. There were only seventeen trainees who will undergo the Rites (Lance was supposed to be the eighteenth). By our standards, that was a lot as it was usually just ten or so mages. The following year, there would be a solid twenty-two assuming everyone would be allowed to take the Rites (including Lance). The courtyard was full of people though, beyond those two forms full of trainees. Everyone – journeymen, masters, and lower form trainees – came out to wish the others good luck.

No one yet has failed the Rites from what we’ve been told. No one ever spoke of what was involved either. Journeymen and masters guarded such secrets with their lives. There was a first time for everything though.

I made extra efforts to avoid Lance. It was a lot easier since I was moved into another room by myself. However, the few times we would see each other, he would be staring intently at me. His face didn’t give away much emotion but I could almost feel something terrible brewing behind his eyes. It was almost like he was planning and waiting for the moment he could take his revenge. I’d be lying if I said that didn’t make me the least bit nervous.

“Seriously, stop,” Matty said with a laugh. I had begun fidgeting again as I looked around, certain I’d see Lance coming at me with a spear or something. As dictated by tradition between higher and lower forms, he would have to accompany those leaving for their Rites. It must be painful to watch those of his former level take the Rites while he was left behind to wait for his turn.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I’m overthinking things. It will be fine. And if something does happen, I’ll just have Ernie and Nathan grapple him again.”

“And grapple him we will,” Ernie said as he sauntered towards us like the whole world was ripe for his picking. He wrapped one arm around my neck and pulled me against him while ruffling my hair with his hand. I tried to break free but he just became more persistent. “Don’t worry, Matty, we’ll take care of your boy.”

“Your boy?” I asked as I finally managed to break free of Ernie’s grip. “Since when was I anyone’s boy?”

Ernie smirked like he knew something I didn’t. Matty looked like it was his turn to fidget. Nathan just shrugged like he didn’t understand it any more than I did.

“You remember how to do that spell which will protect you from the cold?” Matty asked in a more subdued voice like he was ashamed to ask.

“Yes,” I said, rolling my eyes. I could of course understand his concern. Unlike Malden where the weather was cool but not cold, the Hoarfrost Caverns were notorious for snow and ice formations. Water Mages could survive such weather with certain spells that manipulated water in our bodies repelling the cold to a certain degree. It was an alternative way to creating warmth and it allowed us to function despite the cold. Our bodies would not likely freeze over as long as we maintained the magic but it would be very uncomfortable. It was supposed to be part of our test and a reason why lower forms came with those taking the Rites. It was a preparation for us for when our time would come.

“Trainees,” Master Leveret shouted out as he walked into the courtyard. His long, white hair swayed in the wind as he looked around. Two masters accompanied him as he entered. Several other masters including my uncle and Mistress Gwen had travelled ahead to await the trainees who would become journeymen. Healers had also travelled ahead with them though. As far as I knew, Mistress Heilen was not one of them.

A few select journeymen who would accompany us started sorting the trainees, separating those that would leave and those that were just there to see us off. Nathan’s parents (being Journeymen Water Mages in Malden) came by to see us one more time to bid us all farewell before moving with the other spectators. It was an uncommon experience for us since Nathan’s parents were often out of the city doing unknown work for The Lady.

Master Leveret said nothing else as he turned his horse around to exit the Academy. Two masters I was not familiar with flanked him on either side, also on horses. The trainees who would undergo the Rites came next, followed by those one form below them (now the form where Lance belonged) and then those two forms below (where Ernie, Nathan, and I belonged). We were followed lastly by the journeymen who would come with us and some horses carrying several packs of supplies such as food. Despite Water Magic’s great potential, the body could not live on water alone.

The journey took almost two days on foot. We were walking, almost the entire time taking only short breaks for food. Without the many spells we’d learned to keep the body strong and to enhance its endurance, many of us might have collapsed awhile back as we trotted the uneven slopes up the mountains.

We stood tall and proud though as Master Leveret surveyed us every once in awhile. Despite his age, he moved with grace and strength that bellied his appearance. He looked larger than life as he watched over us like a vigilant guardian. How could we who were young and full of the vitality of life complain when someone his age could perform the same journey so easily? His example gave us strength and none of us found any desire to complain.

The mouth of the Hoarfrost Caverns gave justice to the almost legendary status it was given in our tradition. Jagged spikes of ice loomed over the cave’s entrance like the mismatched teeth of some horribly deformed monster. The place seemed almost devoid of life like the earth had decided to abandon it. Even the trees that lined us all around were nothing but dead bark, long frozen.

I found myself staring with awe along with others of my year as we arrived upon the entrance. So many stories circulated on what dwelled within those caverns from treacherously dangerous paths to mystifyingly large creatures of magic. No one knew of course what truly lied within those caves except those who have undergone the Rites. And what they knew, they kept a secret. Even Nathan (who had parents who both underwent the process) knew nothing about what was inside.

“Your journey ends here,” Master Leveret said as he surveyed us. He stood atop a pedestal seemingly made of crystal clear, slippery ice. He did not seem the slightest bit perturbed by it though. “Those of you who will undergo the Rites this day shall be forever changed once you enter these caverns. Those of you who pass shall cease their status as trainees once you have returned to Malden. Make it out of these caverns alive and a new journey you shall begin as you enter the world once more to take the path of a journeyman.”

No one cheered. No one clapped. The frigid wind would not allow it. Although magic was keeping me from freezing into a lump, I could already feel the discomfort. The exhaustion coupled with the lack of sleep should have made me drop like a rock. I wanted to sleep but I knew I wouldn’t be able to for a few more days still. We could not sleep unless we wanted to never wake up again as the cold snuffed out all the warmth of our body. As skilled as most of us were, our spells would not hold as we slept.

“Come,” Master Leveret said as he turned towards the cavern without waiting for the others to follow. He of course meant only those trainees who would take the Rites. The rest of us who were tasked to accompany them would wait out in the frozen wasteland.

“By the Lady’s will, we’re going to wait here?” Ernie asked in a disparaged tone. I was sure his head would be lolling in despair if he wasn’t trying to huddle his body as small as possible to limit the amount exposed to the cold wind. “Isn’t there like some kind of building we can wait at? A kitchen perhaps? With warm soup? I’d even settle for some of Sonya’s carrots.” He grumbled and hugged himself tighter.

“We haven’t been here an hour and you’re complaining already,” I smirked. Although I wanted to complain as well, it felt amusing to be jabbing at Ernie.

“How long is this supposed to take?” Ernie complained as he shook his hair free of the ice crystals slowly forming on them.

“Two, maybe three days,” Nathan replied as he began looking through his pack.

“Three days?” Ernie said in shock. “Three days? Here? Without sleep?”

Nathan looked up at Ernie. His face was calm but questioning. “Well… we’ve been studying about this for a few years now. You should know by now it will take that long. You did, didn’t you?”

“I didn’t know it would be here!” He exclaimed. “Out in the middle of the freezing wind…”

“Did you perhaps expect to wait it out comfortably?” Master Rumford asked as he approached us. He was introduced to me at some point in the journey as one of the two masters who would wait with the lower year trainees. I did not know much about him as he was not a teacher in the Academy. He smiled as we bowed respectfully to him. “Be glad for you can sit here focusing on your spells to keep you warm. When your time comes, you’ll have to enter those caverns yourself. Keeping yourself alive through spells despite this cold should be second nature to you by then for there are far greater challenges awaiting you inside than just cold wind.”

“What kind of challenges are there?” I asked him, hoping to get even tiny bits of information.

“You know better than to ask,” he replied good-naturedly. We listened carefully as he seemed to lean in as though he was about to give a secret. “Although, I will tell you this. Each person faces something different. Even if you enter as one group, you will find yourself being separated from one another. You will at one point find yourself alone and you will face that which will challenge you the most. Or you may face challenges with others, perhaps even they will prove to be the challenge for you.”

“Really Master Rumford?” Nathan asked with interest. In truth, it was more information than we were ever told about the tasks. “Are the other masters in there? And are they going to test us on what we have learned?”

“The other masters are in there,” Master Rumford nodded. “But I assure you, they have nothing to do with the tasks you will face.”

“Nothing?” Ernie frowned. “Then who’s going to test us?”

“I’ve said too much already,” Master Rumford smiled. “And I expect payment. What? Don’t give me that look. Did you expect me to tell you such things without something in return? We shall need sentries while we wait for the others to rejoin us after the Rites. Ernest, you will take first shift along with a few other trainees I have selected on the grounds. Nathan shall watch after eight hours.” He then turned to me. “You of course shall take the last eight hours.”

I wanted to groan. Unless I was mistaken, it would mean I’d be standing sentry in the middle of the night. It’s not like anyone would be sleeping anyway but still the idea of having to watch at night seemed even more tiring.

“Sentry, Master Rumford?” Ernest asked. “What in the world are we supposed to guard against? Rogue winds?”

“There happens to be quite a few wild animals here,” Master Rumford replied calmly. He looked out into the desolate trees as though watching one at that very moment.

“Animals?” Ernie replied in disbelief. “Here?”

“Of course,” Master Rumford replied as he turned and began walking away. “Where do you think those corpses beneath your feet came from?”

“Corpses?” Ernie replied with wide eyes. He began raising his feet up and down as though someone’s bones had attached to them. All we could see were mussed up snow though. “He was only pulling my leg, right? About the wild animals?” He asked Nathan. Perhaps Nathan did know with his severe interest in nature.

“I dunno…” Nathan replied almost passively. “I have heard of some wild beasts that can withstand this kind of cold. From what I’ve read, they’re usually large beasts with long shard-like claws. Some of them are even known to be resistant to magic.”

Ernie stared at him for a very long time, so long that some of the hair on his head was already coated in ice. “I hate you,” he mumbled eventually as he went off to follow Master Rumford.

I chuckled and shook my head. “You certainly got him.” I paused as I stared at Nathan’s calm face. “You were not being serious with him, right?”

Nathan shrugged like he didn’t really know before picking up his pack and following Ernie.

“Hey, Nathan! You’re not serious, right? Right?” I picked up my pack and followed him too. “Oy! Wait for me!”

* * * * * * * * * *

“The Lady must really hate me,” I mumbled to myself. I was cold and, despite the spells I had in place, shivering. It was dark and my arms and legs were yearning to sleep. My eyes couldn’t even see anything in the absolute void of the night. That was one thing Water Magic certainly did not help me in. And of all the people, of all the people, I could have been assigned to do sentry with, it just had to be him. I suppose not being a teacher in the Academy, Master Rumford wouldn’t have known I had issues with this particular trainee.

“What are you staring at?” Lance asked gruffly. He tried to sound menacing. You could hear it in his voice. But anyone could tell that the cold was getting even him as his words rose and fell.

“Nothing,” I said as I turned away from him to once again to look at the pitch-black night. In many ways, seeing nothing was better than seeing him. We were at the edge of the camp we’d set up, enough distance away to not be overheard or even seen. We could not light a fire because the light would blind us from seeing anything in the darkness – as if we could see anything anyway.

It was only the two of us there but I wasn’t about to make any attempt at a conversation with him after what he did back in Malden. I didn’t care what type of grudge his father and my uncle had. None of that had anything to do with me so his actions towards me were unjustified.

I rubbed my hands up and down on my arms, trying to maintain the focus on the spells to repel the cold. Master Rumford said this kind of magic should be second nature to us by the time our Rites came. He hinted that we’d have other more difficult things we’d have to focus on than the cold wind. I couldn’t see how that kind of spell work would become second nature to me no matter how many times I went up there. It felt like it was taking all my concentration just not to freeze over.

Perhaps I lost focus. Perhaps the cold was too much even for my magic. Whatever the case was, I saw something move in the darkness.

“What was that?” I asked as I stared into the desolate trees that surrounded us. I thought I saw something move behind them. Well, not so much move as slither.

“What are you talking about?” Lance asked irritably. “There’s nothing out there but dead trees.”

“I saw something move,” I said as I pointed with my finger, “over there.”

Despite Lance’s obvious annoyance, he looked over to the spot and narrowed his eyes. “I don’t see anything.”

“Well, I saw something,” I said and felt my breath catch. “Look, it’s over there!” I pointed to Lance’s other side. It was deep in the trees and seemed to stand at the height of a man, maybe even more. It wasn’t human though. It was really far but I could tell that much. It wasn’t just a tree though but it was almost like it blended with them.

Lance turned quickly and grabbed onto the practice sword on his belt (we were all required to bring our training weapons). He stared at the spot for a long time staring at the thing that was hidden in the shadows. “What are you on about?”

“It’s right there!” I said pointing once again to the thing in the trees. “Can’t… can’t you see it?”

“You know what?” Lance said scowling at me. “If you want to play this game, then you can play it by yourself. I’m going back.” He stood up and started walking back to camp.

“You can’t leave me here,” I replied in panic to his retreating back. “What if that thing attacks?”

“Good,” he replied just before he vanished into the darkness.

I turned back to the spot where that creature was but it was gone. I felt shivers run across my skin that had nothing to do with the cold. I turned and turned making sure it wasn’t anywhere near me but there was nothing, nothing but darkness.

“I can go back, right?” I asked myself. Talking to myself seemed a more appealing idea than the infinite silence. “I mean I should report Lance to Master Rumford. He abandoned his post as a sentry. But then, wouldn’t I be abandoning my post?” A sound came from the trees as though the non-existent leaves were rustling. “No, no. Master Rumford needs to know about this. That’s what I should do. I should go do that now.”

Resolved to return to camp for no other reason other than reporting Lance to Master Rumford, I stood up and turned. That’s when I heard it.

It was nothing more than a crack. It was just the sound of someone walking into the forest and stepping on a piece of dried fallen wood. It was a tiny, tiny sound among the gales of wind that hurled itself across the mountain. Yet it seemed to explode in my mind as I heard.

Shakily, I turned slowly, ever so slowly, towards the source of the sound. The creature wasn’t there, slithering behind the trees as I expected. No, it was there right in front of me, within arm’s reach.

I wanted to scream but I think my voice got frozen with the cold. I wanted to run but my legs felt like they’d been rooted to the ground. I wanted to faint but apparently even my exhausted body refused to cooperate.

And then it smiled.

I blinked. It was smiling. Perhaps it smelled victory. Perhaps it knew it was about to have a delicious feast of Samuel Archer. It wasn’t human. I was sure of that then. It did have a humanoid form though which was huge. It looked like it was made up of ice, snow, mud, and wood but couldn’t decide which it liked best. It had no eyes, at least none I could see. It just had a formless ever-changing shape and a ragged mouth with tiny bits of wood and frost flaking out of it.

“Eee, eee” I managed to utter. It was supposed to be a scream of help but somehow came out as squeaks.

The thing smiled wider and it opened its mouth, ready to bit my head off.

“Come,” it said and then slowly slithered backwards. It didn’t turn. It just sort of oozed backwards and the rest of its body reformed itself until the front was its back.

“Wh---“ I managed. Did it just say come? Did it just say that it wanted me to follow it? Into the trees? Into the darkness? By myself? No, no, no!

“Wait!” I called after it. Call me crazy or stupid but something like this did not just happen every day. Perhaps it wanted to invite me for dinner (with me being the main course) but something told me that things like this were not just to be ignored. It was like I could feel what the beast was feeling and I somehow knew it had no malicious intent towards me. I wondered if it was my empathy that Magister Aenhol told me about. Whatever the case was, I followed it anyway.

I managed to catch up to it with the way it moved so slowly. Even in the dark, it was easy to see the path it took, the marks it left on the ground as if a heavy body was being dragged across the snow.

Despite its deformity, there was something… serene about it. Once I had enough of my senses back, I decided to check it for magic and sure enough it was teeming with it. It was a creature of magic and not just any magic but Water Magic. Was this one of the things we faced inside the Hoarfrost Caverns during the Rites? Was it one of the creatures responsible for testing trainees? Those questions excited me that I didn’t even notice how far we’ve gone into the forest until I could not notice anymore the way back.

It stopped and stood in an open clearing among the dead trees. Slowly, a mouth formed at the back of what should have been its head. Its arms bent as its front once more became its back. It smiled and I tentatively gave it a smile back.

“Wait,” he said and then collapsed. It was so sudden that I had no time to do anything but stare at it in shock. It just sort of fell into itself until all that was left was a pile of snow, mud and wood.

“Wait?” I asked. I checked the thing for magic but whatever was keeping it together was gone. Nothing but the faintest trace of magic was left. “Wait for what?”

To be eaten, I thought, of course. Why else would he bring me all the way out in the middle of nowhere except to become a feast for some beast. But then it didn’t seem hostile. It even seemed… familiar in some strange way. So despite the oddity of the situation, I wanted to trust it. I waited there, for what seemed like the longest time.

Eventually, I heard someone shouting.

“Sam!” the voice said. It was far away and I couldn’t make out who it was that was calling my name repeatedly.

I moved towards the direction the voice came from and I was about to yell where I was when it shouted again.

“For The Lady’s sake, where are you?” Lance shouted. “If I had to walk all the way back here to find out you went back, I’ll rip your head off!”

“Lance?” I whispered. “What’s he doing here?” He can’t be there. I was waiting for something, something possibly important and I wasn’t sure it would come if he was there. Maybe that’s why it hadn’t shown up yet. Perhaps it sensed Lance nearby and didn’t want to show itself. I had to get rid of him.

And then I heard the growling. It was a throaty growl, deep and menacing. I didn’t hesitate to turn this time and felt like I had suddenly released my wastes into my linen pants. Something was standing there. And it wasn’t the same serene creature as before.

It was huge, way bigger than the snow-mud creature. It looked like it was made completely of ice. It stood on all fours and had the shape of a wolf except it was ten times bigger. It had dozens of sharp teeth, white as snow protruding from it s long mouth. It didn’t smile. It charged.

I yelled as it jumped right at me. All I could do was duck since there was no time to jump to the side. It was enough though as it sailed clean over me. I turned, expanded my quarterstaff and prepared to strike it but it just kept running – running towards Lance’s voice.

“Lance,” I said and then raised my voice to a shout. “Lance! Run!”

“What?” Lance yelled back. “Where are you? I swear I’m drowning you if you don’t show yourself now.”

“Run Lance!” I screamed as I tried to catch up with the thing but it was so fast. “It’s coming for you.”

“What are you on about?” he yelled and then the world just froze as a deafening roar ripped through the night. That thing must have really been made of ice because its roar sounded like an avalanche.

Lance started to scream.

I ran forward, going towards Lance’s voice. He was still shouting and it sounded like he was struggling with something. It sounded like entire trees were being bent in half like they were twigs.

I managed to duck in time as a tree went flailing over my head. As I broke through the clearing, I saw Lance being hurled through the air. I could see his practice sword flying off somewhere, disappearing into trees. He landed with a thud on the ground and rolled several times. The fall would have killed anyone but it was obvious Lance was using spells to augment his body because he unsteadily tried to get back up.

The beast didn’t give him a chance though as it turned and pounced on him. Lance tried to scream but it sounded like his lungs were being crushed under the weight. His voice was muffled and weak.

I charged towards the creature which looked like it was mauling Lance. I ran the tip of my quarterstaff through the snow, gathering the water, the pure crystals of ice, onto the end of my weapon. They fused together, imbued by my magic, until they formed into a solid jagged spike turning my quarterstaff into a spear. I poured as much of my magic into my body, hardening it, giving it strength.

I turned and twisted as I reached the beast. I raised the spear in a spiral motion and thrust it down towards the beast’s head. The spear’s tip ripped right through the beast’s skull but the force of the blow was too much for my arm. I felt a searing pain on my right shoulder as if the whole arm had fallen off. The blow was so strong that my quarterstaff, which was imbued with magic to not break even against powerful blows, broke and splintered in half.

A growl escaped from the beast’s throat where half my quarterstaff was poking through. It then lost strength in its limbs and fell on its side, where it remained still.

I collapsed to my knees from the pain and exhaustion. I grasped my right arm tightly and tried to move it but it lay limp. Despite the pain, I walked over to Lance to make sure he was okay.

He was lying very still but he was at least still breathing. His eyes were open as though he was in shock and his right side was completely covered in blood. I couldn’t be too sure but it looked like a chunk of his flesh and bone was... gone.

“Lance, are you okay?” I asked weakly. I felt like I was just ready to fall over and die.

He turned his head slowly to me. His cheeks had flecks of blood on it. Some of his magic must still have been working cause he otherwise could not have possibly been conscious having sustained such an injury. “You…” he said in a soft whisper. “You sent that thing after me.”

“What?” I asked in surprise. “Lance… I didn’t.”

“I hate you,” he whispered. There was no vehemence in his words, just a quiet resolve. “I really hate you.”

“Lance…” I said staring into his eyes. There was no understanding there. There was not just anger or hatred. It felt like something worse was there, something far more terrible. It was like his eyes had somehow taken all the darkness in the night and taken it into themselves.

“What in The Lady’s name happened?” Master Rumford said as he seemed to come flying out of nowhere. Behind him were dozens of trainees all with practice weapons ready. Only the journeymen with them had real weapons, gifts from The Lady that glowed in the night. Master Rumford surveyed the fallen creature. “What? How?”

I couldn’t answer him. Even if I could, I wouldn’t know what to say anyway since I had no idea what the creature was. I was still fixated in the look that was piercing through Lance’s eyes. He had become unconscious so his eyes were closed. Yet, it still felt like they were piercing though the eyelids looking at me.

“Master Rumford,” Ernie said weakly. “I think they’re hurt.”

“What?” Master Rumford replied. “Of course. Ernest, return to camp and tell Master Casile to get two healers here right now. Even three or as many as they can spare from the Rites. Go!”

I don’t know if Ernie actually went. He probably did. It was Ernie after all. But I was too tired to think about it. I fell to my side and didn’t mind at all how cold the snow was which told me my spells were not working anymore. I knew that if I didn’t reinforce the magic, I’d freeze over in minutes. I didn’t really care though. I was too tired to think about it.

Besides, I was too distracted by the creature made of ice, snow, mud, and wood standing there in the middle of forest where no one but I seemed to be looking. It was looking at me, watching and smiling.

NEXT CHAPTER: Ch 07: Intervention
For your comments, thoughts, or suggestions, leave a review and let me know! :)
Alternatively, you can make a post on the official forum thread found here:
http://www.gayauthor...t-of-vengeance/
Copyright © 2013 Hamen Cheese; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/20/2013 08:40 AM, Q3Dennis said:
It's not a cliffhanger exactly... You're just left wanting more. And more. ;)
Well, I had to cut the chapter at SOME point. :P
Link to comment

I was seriously stressing during your entire hiatus. Thanks for picking back up the series. You are a great writer and I am really interested to see how this story turns out in relation to the first.

Link to comment
On 01/21/2013 10:21 AM, prettyname said:
I was seriously stressing during your entire hiatus. Thanks for picking back up the series. You are a great writer and I am really interested to see how this story turns out in relation to the first.
Hello prettyname, I'm definitely set in finishing this story (after all, the chapters are written but just need a little more polishing). Computer games are taking up a lot (actually TOO MUCH) of my time and I find myself often without the energy to write.

 

There are two other stories I have already started which I haven't been able to continue because most of the time I'm playing. Perhaps when I finally have the strength to say NO to games, I'll be better able to focus on writing. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..