Jump to content
    Hamen Cheese
  • Author
  • 4,890 Words
  • 3,375 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Spirit of Vengeance - 5. Ch 05: Archers

CHAPTER 5: Archers

My uncle and I sat there for several minutes of silence. Ernie and Nathan had already left and he was staring intently at me as though waiting for me to make the first move. I didn’t really know what I was supposed to say. I didn’t know why he was there and I certainly hoped it was more than just to hand out stable duty to me.

“You two will report to the stable master tonight and the next two days,” my uncle finally said after the long quiet. “And if you don’t head back to the Academy right now, I’ll make it a week.”

I frowned at him, not understanding what he was saying. I was just about to tell him that when I heard someone sigh by the window. Ernie suddenly stood up and appeared there with a sheepish grin. It was clear he was trying to eavesdrop and I was impressed on how silently he had managed to reach the window. I didn’t hear a thing. My uncle turned to stare at him and Ernie quickly turned back towards the castle. Nathan also stood and bowed respectfully like he was apologizing and excusing myself before following Ernie.

“He is very good,” my uncle said with an appreciative nod. “I almost did not hear them. Unfortunately the other one, young Nathan, was not quite as good at making his feet light.”

“Oh,” I said. I hadn’t heard a thing. Then again I wasn’t really listening for anything and I did not have the gifts that the Rites would eventually bestow. My uncle had his senses amplified by magic at all times. At least that’s what we’ve been told the Rites would do. Or maybe he just knew his students well enough.

“I suppose you are wondering why I asked you to stay,” my uncle said after he was sure no one else was listening in on us. Sonya had yet to return and I wondered if she was aware that my uncle was there. I hoped we wouldn’t get her into trouble.

“Am I in bigger trouble for sneaking out?” I asked.

“No,” he said quickly. “To be honest, I had hoped you would leave immediately after training.”

“Oh,” I said again and a felt a deep sinking feeling in my chest. I didn’t think I performed that bad. “I’m sorry that I failed to defeat Lance.”

“Don’t misunderstand me,” he said and then surprised me by his next words. “I know your gift of empathy was working on me earlier. I have been researching as much as I can about it and I think I’ve found a way to know when someone is using that gift on me. It took much of my concentration and in all respects it was impractical for me to do such magic for it took too much of my focus. Nonetheless I thought I sensed a tiny fraction of your magic. Tell me, what did your gift indicate I was feeling?”

I paused unsure if I wanted to have that conversation with him. He had that look though that said we weren’t leaving until we were done discussing it. I had a feeling that if he wanted to close down The Gardens just so we could stay and talk, Sonya would not hesitate to do so. I sighed before finally answering him, “regret.”

He nodded like he expected as much. “Aye, that it was.”

“I’m sorry I’m not living up to your expectations,” I said voicing the only explanation in my mind for his regret. Despite the control I was trying to maintain, a little bit of venom went into my words and it felt good and shameful at the same time.

To my shock, it looked like he was almost about to smile. In many ways, that was like all out laughter by his standards, considering how strict and stoic he always was. He never smiled. He was always serious and in control. His smile though never really manifested itself. “On the contrary,” he said. “I am quite proud of what you have accomplished. You are a fine mage and you will one day make a fine Master of Water. No,” he said as he grew more serious. “The regret I felt was not for you but for what you had to go through because of me.”

“What do you mean?” I asked curiously.

“Young Lance, your opponent,” he clarified. “His family unfortunately has some history with me.” He paused to take a carrot from the bowl Sonya had given us. He popped it into his mouth and chewed slowly as though savoring the taste before he continued. “His father once attended the Academy. And I once had to face him the same way you had to face Lance today. Unfortunately, I was, shall we say, quite advanced in my control of magic back then, not much more than the skill young Ernest displayed earlier. I had beaten Lance’s father quite easily. He became furious and sought out revenge on me when I least expected it. Again though, I defeated him if not just barely. His actions afterwards though had their consequences.

“He was summoned by The Lady. I don’t know what happened afterwards. No one but the masters of that time do. Whatever happened though, it was like he was broken afterwards. It was like he had no control over Water Magic anymore. He was stripped of his magic and water itself would shy away from him.”

“What happened to him?” I asked, horrified at the thought of anyone losing the ability to control magic.

“He was exiled,” my uncle said. “He was never to step foot into Malden again. If he ever tried, he would be considered an enemy and would be executed at once.”

“That sounds a bit harsh,” I said.

“We are all here to do The Lady’s will,” he said. “You knew that when you first arrived. To harm her servants would be the same as attacking The Lady herself. He did not show the control that was expected of our mages and he paid the price for it.”

“So, Lance,” I said after a short silence. “He knows about this?”

“Perhaps,” my uncle replied. “I could not ask him, of course. I suspect that he does though. The… ferocity of his attacks earlier confirms it, if anything.”

“So what’s going to happen to him?” I asked. “Will he get exiled also?”

My uncle raised an eyebrow at me. “Is that what you want?”

I thought about it for a moment. I heavily disliked Lance but I realized I didn’t hate him. He may hate me for what his father had to go through but in the end, I was not my uncle and he was not his father. Besides, it wasn’t my uncle’s fault that his father was exiled. If only he could see that.

“No,” I finally said. “He’s angry. But I think that kind of anger is expected from any son who wants to defend his father’s honor.”

“Good,” my uncle said with a nod. “I would be sorely disappointed in you if you thought otherwise. I am glad that you can see reason despite what you had to go through.”

“Would you have exiled him if I said yes?” I asked curiously.

At that, my uncle looked sternly at me. “Even if I wanted to, I cannot. Only The Lady can exile anyone. Only she has the power to purge magic from a mage. No one, not even Grand Master Assero has that kind of power.”

“Okay,” I said nodding. Somehow, knowing that gave me some comfort. It’s not like I would ever want it but it was good to know that my uncle did not have such power in his hands to hang over students. It just gave another reason for people not to believe the rumors that Lance had apparently been spreading. Now if only my uncle actually said that to everyone…

“Tell me,” my uncle said, interrupting my musings. “What did The Lady tell you?”

“What?” I asked, surprised.

“Do not think I do not know,” he said smiling. “Every master in that room must have felt her presence come to you while you were fighting. Truth be told, I half-expected you to suddenly perform some exemplary magic. Clearly, that was not the case though so she must have approached you for something else.”

I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to tell him. As though reading my thoughts, he continued.

“I do not think The Lady would mind if you were to share your experience with me,” he said without any consternation or haughtiness in his voice. “But if for whatever reason, you feel that it is something that cannot or should not be shared with me then simply say so and I will respect that.” He sounded like he truly meant it.

“I asked her to give me strength,” I said. “The strength to teach Lance a lesson. The strength to right the wrongs of people like him. I… I wanted to show everyone that I was a good and capable mage and that I wasn’t just borrowing from the fame that you, my uncle, have brought our name.”

“Hmm,” he said as though he was in deep thought. “And what did she say?”

The words came to my mind clearly as though she had just repeated it then. “So be it.”

My uncle frowned as he sat there thinking. He was silent for so long I was starting to worry that I did something wrong. “You be careful, nephew,” he said at last. “The Lady does not grace someone like that just so they can fail. It is clear that you have been chosen for something and it has nothing to do with your fight with Lance earlier. I’m afraid you may have some difficult roads ahead of you.”

“That wasn’t exactly what I expected or hoped for,” I replied.

“Do not worry,” he said. “I will guide you to the best of my abilities. Perhaps with time, we shall unravel the mysteries that surround this intervention. Until then, we shall remain watchful for any indication of what she has in mind. I believe great things are ahead for you, nephew. The Lady does not visit just anyone like that.”

“Can’t you just… uhm… ask her or something?” I said. “Don’t you meet her often?”

“Remember that question,” my uncle said, “when the day comes that you finally meet her. Tell me if you would have the strength or the courage to ask her that.”

“You make it sound like meeting her is a frightening experience,” I noted.

“In many ways, it is,” he said with a nod. “She is not human. She is a force beyond all of us. She could, if she wanted to, wipe us and this entire city off the face of this mountain. Her very presence radiates power and can make any man, trainee or master, quiver before her.”

“I see,” I said, not knowing what to say to that. I felt more apprehensive but at the same time excited about the prospect of meeting The Lady one day.

“Our time grows short,” my uncle said. “I believe Journeyman Sonya is about to join us.”

True enough, the door to the backroom opened and Sonya came in carrying a box. She turned to us probably expecting Ernie and Nathan to still be there but the look of surprise on her face was unmistakable as she saw my uncle. “Master Archer,” she said. “I apologize. I did not realize you were here. Would you like something to eat or drink?” She hastily put down the box she was carrying and began dusting off her clothes.

“No,” he said as he stood up. I stood up as well. “I think we’re done here. I’d like to commend you for what you are turning this place into by the way. Mistress Heilen would be quite pleased to know of this place. I believe she is quite a capable herbalist as well as a healer.”

“She was the one who recommended I do this,” Sonya said with a smile. “It was through her aid that I got the initial saplings to grow and proliferate.”

“I must commend her then,” my uncle said as he took another carrot and popped it into his mouth. “Now, I must be heading out before young Ernest grows an ulcer,” he said and then looked at me. “It seems that he followed my command enough to head back to the Academy only so that he could retrieve young Matthew to join him. The three of them are waiting at the end of the street, believing they are well beyond the reach of any spells I may use to detect them.”

“Are you going to teach me how you do that some day?” I asked with a smirk.

“If you decide to pursue becoming a master, yes,” he said with a nod. “It is not exactly a skill exclusive to me. All Masters of Water and even those journeymen at the more advanced stages of training know how to perform such spells. The world is an open book to us once we have gone through the Rites. As capable a mage young Ernest is, he will not completely understand the scope of Water Magic until he has unlocked its full potential.”

“What should I tell him?” I asked.

“Tell him what is to be expected,” he said simply as we stepped out of The Gardens. “Samuel,” he said as we stepped out into the sun. I’ve never had a chance to tell you this before. Perhaps I should have long ago but I did not know if you would understand and so I delayed.”

“What is it, uncle?” I asked.

“I told you I was proud of you,” he said. “And truly I am. My actions may not necessarily convey it but believe my words now when I say them for they are the truth. As Master of the Academy, I cannot show you exemplary commendation. In fact, I need to give you less apparent attention than I would any other student. Know though that I am always watching out for you in my own way. I care very much for you as my brother’s son and as family. I simply cannot show any indication that might be misconstrued as favoritism. You do understand, correct?”

I nodded and smiled. “I do, uncle. In many ways, I think I’d always known. I might not have understood before but I do now. Hearing it though helps even more. For that, thank you.”

He nodded, pleased. “Now, let’s see what trouble we can get young Ernest into.”

* * * * * * * * * *

“A week?” Ernest whined in dismay. “Do you realize how much horse muck those animals make in a week? I’m going to start smelling like you.”

I chuckled. I must admit, the realization that someone else was getting stable duty instead of me was quite heartening. “You’re the one who decided to sneak out of the Academy again.”

“But I was well beyond the range of any detection spells,” he said again. “And we weren’t even performing any magic so he couldn’t have sensed that either.”

“Well, tell him that,” I said with a smile and shrug.

“So you really think The Lady spoke to you?” Matty asked changing the direction of the conversation. We were in my room where I was lying down on my bed while Matty was sitting near my feet. Ernie was lying down opposite me on Lance’s bed and seemed to make extraordinary efforts to make sure the sheets were as rumpled as possible. Nathan was sitting cross-legged in front of a low shelf where I kept some of my things. He was studying them intently with unbridled fascination.

I had already finished telling them what had happened during training right before I dropped the bomb on Ernie and Nathan that their punishment had been increased. I was just glad that Matty wasn’t included in it.

“She did,” I said. “My uncle thinks so too but he doesn’t know why she said what she did. Or if he does know, he isn’t telling me.”

“A week!” Ernie said again as though he could not move his mind beyond the thoughts of his punishment.

“What kind of rock is this?” Nathan asked from the floor with the unabashed curiosity of someone who was seeing the world for the very first time.

I looked at what he was referring to. He was holding a small round stone maybe as big as my thumb. It was wider in one way than the other. It was also perfectly smooth and had vein-like striations across its surface like it was some small creature’s egg. I could understand how it would be fascinating to someone like Nathan.

“It’s a magic rock,” I said sitting up, smiling fondly at the memories the stone brought up.

“What’s magic about it?” Matty asked, intrigued.

“Nothing,” I replied as I reached out for it and Nathan placed it into my open hand.

“Why’s it called a magic rock then?” Matty said.

“Because that is what Little Joe called it,” I said. “Little Joe is my younger brother. This was a birthday gift from him when I was five. He was three by then so he at least could understand the existence of magic. He said he found this in the middle of one of our fields. According to him, dust flew all around him and all the light had gone out of the world except for this one line that reached from the heavens and shone down onto the rock.

“Is that true?” Matty asked with wide eyes.

“I dunno,” I replied with a shrug as I played with the rock between my fingers. “I was five then and he was three. As much as we knew magic existed, we didn’t really have a thorough understanding of it. Perhaps something did happen on the day he found this rock or maybe he just thought something did. Either way, what’s important is that he gave me a gift. He’s been giving me a gift every year on my birthday since then.”

“Where are the rest?” Nathan asked as though expecting to find more fascinating natural items.

“I left them all at home,” I said with a sad smile. It had been over three years since I last saw my family – three years since Little Joe’s last gift. “I couldn’t travel with too much stuff so I brought only this. The first and perhaps the most meaningful gift since it was the moment that truly sealed us as close brothers.”

“How so?” Matty asked curiously. His lips were twisted to the side as though he was trying to chew on the idea of close brothers. It surprised me to realize I haven’t asked him yet if he had any brothers. I knew his dad was a barber and his mom a healer but I didn’t know if he had any siblings that could one day join us in Malden.

“He was three,” I said simply, “and yet he gave me a gift I knew was wondrous to him. Regardless of whether or not something magical did happen to this rock that day, what’s important was he thought something did. What’s more, he gave it to me instead of keeping it for himself. I’ve heard of many brothers developing sibling rivalries but we never did. For us, we were what I think what brothers are truly supposed to be. We watch out for each other, we care for each other, and we don’t hesitate to share with each other the most important things in our lives.”

“Oh,” Ernie sniffed with clearly pretend sobs, “that just tears me up all inside. I never knew you were such a woman.”

“Oh, shut up!” I laughed as I threw my pillow at him.

He caught it easily but pretended it had smacked him painfully in the chest. He moaned in agony. “Oh no! My ribs! My poor ribs! How am I going to clean the stables tonight. Oh, those poor horses surrounded by muck. You’re going to have to take over for me Matty. You’ve gotta! Think of the poor horses!”

Matty snorted. “It’s going to take more than you having a few broken ribs to get me to clean those stables for you.”

“But the horses, Matty! The horses!” Ernie repeated in almost believable dismay. Matty rolled his eyes at him in amusement.

It was then that the door suddenly slammed open. The four of us jumped in surprise while a very angry Lance came barging into the room. At first, I thought he had somehow spelled his bed to warn him if anyone messed with it. But then his eyes were focused not on Ernie (who was still lying down in his bed) but on me.

“You!” he yelled angrily as he charged me. I was in too much shock to react before he lifted me clean off the bed by the cuffs of my shirt. “What did you tell your uncle?”

“What?” I asked as I finally recovered my senses. I tried to pry his fingers off my shirt before he ripped it but they were solid in strength. He was clearly using magic. “Get your hands off me.”

“What did you do?” he asked. “Thought you’d get revenge on me, huh?” He then slammed me painfully against the back wall. A sharp pain penetrated the back of my head as my head bounced on the hard surface.

“Oy!” Ernie said recovering as well from the surprise. He jumped onto Lance’s back and must have done something because the older boy started screaming as he let me go. He tried to shake Ernie off who was hanging on for dear life. Nathan and Matthew were also surrounding Lance but I wasn’t quite sure who they were trying to help as limbs kept flying everywhere and colliding with anything that didn’t move out of the way in time.

“Get off!” Lance yelled as Ernie screamed and some magic forced his arms off Lance. Ernie recoiled almost like he was burned.

I wanted to help him. I tried to focus but I couldn’t. The only way to describe it was that I felt overwhelmed. I could feel different emotions roiling within me and I knew they weren’t my own. My empathy had kicked in and I was feeling everything that everyone was feeling in the room. Someone was angry. Someone was afraid. Someone was determined. Someone was confused. I couldn’t separate them from my own emotions and it felt like I was drowning in my own head.

“What’s going on here?” Mistress Gwen said as she came charging into the room. Ernie and Lance were still fighting and somehow Nathan had wrapped Lance’s legs with a body hug. “Enough!” she yelled. “I said enough!”

And suddenly, I was empty.

I was breathing heavily and sweating profusely. I felt like I had run a hundred miles without stopping and I was about to collapse at any minute. I didn’t though and I knew that my body was not tired. Somehow I just felt like it was. I blinked my eyes several times until I could focus more clearly on what was happening.

Matthew was kneeling beside me and had an arm protectively around my shoulders. I looked at him and nodded gratefully. He looked worriedly at me as though expecting me to faint at any moment.

Ernie, Nathan, and Lance were sprawled on the floor unconscious. Ernie’s hair was all messed up and he had an angry red scratch across his cheek. Lance was crumpled on the floor and was clearly trying to pry Nathan’s hands off him just moments earlier. Nathan looked like he was sleeping as he cuddled Lance’s legs tightly along his body like a human body cast.

“Will one of you two please explain to me what was happening here?” Mistress Gwen demanded sternly. Again, her kindly features did not properly reflect the anger that was apparent in her voice. It was clear that someone should speak up soon before the tide of her anger exploded over us. She stared intently at my deep breaths before turning to my friend. “Matthew?”

“We don’t know, Mistress,” he replied. “Lance came in angry and started attacking Sam. He was shouting something about Master Archer.”

“Master Archer?” she asked as she turned to where Lance was lying.

“He thinks I said something to my uncle,” I said. My breathing was back to normal and I almost felt like myself again. “Did something happen earlier? Did he get into some kind of trouble?”

“Katherine?” came another voice I recognized as Master Leveret’s. He come in through the door and frowned at Lance, Ernie, and Nathan who were still sprawled on the floor unconscious. “Some of the trainees informed me there was a commotion here. I see you have things under control.” The last few words were more a question than an actual statement.

“Master Leveret,” she replied, nodding at the older mage. “There seems to be an issue involving our young trainees Samuel and Lance. According to young Matthew here, Lance attacked Samuel. It seems to involve Master Archer in some way. Would you have any idea why he would do such a thing?”

“I think I might know why,” Master Leveret replied with another frown at Lance. He shook his head in disappointment. He then turned towards me and Matthew as though he was trying to decide something. After a moment, he sighed heavily. “Well, you’ll find out anyway. It seems The Lady has just decreed that Trainee Lance shall be held back by another year.”

“Held back?” Mistress Gwen replied with clear shock in her voice. “She actually intervened? That hasn’t happened in. I don’t even recall it ever happening before.”

“Oh it has,” Master Leveret replied with a heavy nod. He then stared at me. Master Leveret was much, much older than Mistress Gwen. His long white streaks gave clear evidence of his age as much as it did his wisdom. He was easily much older than my uncle. I wondered if he was already teaching when my uncle was still a trainee. “We all know she has that power and capacity to do so. What she decides, we must obey. The Lady has expressed her displeasure with Lance’s performance and that his advancement should be stayed for another year.”

“The Lady was there earlier?” Matty asked with large, disbelieving eyes. Even I did a double take. None of us had ever seen the Lady, at least none of us that were trainees. It was a privilege reserved only to Grand Master Assero, the masters, and journeymen.

“No,” Master Leveret replied. “She had sent word through Grand Master Assero, who in turn had sent word through one of the journeymen that guards the Arborium.” The Arborium was where The Lady was said to dwell.

“So, what does all this have to do with young Samuel?” Mistress Gwen asked.

“I would surmise that The Lady’s decision was heavily influenced by the training Lance went through earlier,” Master Leveret replied flatly. “In particular, it was most likely the match I had made between Lance and Samuel. I must admit I regret making that choice now. I had thought I was doing something good by pairing you two.”

“It’s not your fault, master,” I replied.

“I know it’s not,” he said with a nod of his head. “Still… I cannot help but feel some guilt for having caused The Lady making such a decision here today.”

“Are they going to be alright?” Matty asked as he prodded Nathan carefully with a finger.

“Yes,” Mistress Gwen replied. “Though I imagine the three of them will be quite sore when they awaken.”

“What did you do anyway, mistress?” I added the last word in case my questions sounded pompous.

“Pass your Rites and I will teach you,” she said plainly. She looked at the three unconscious trainees on the floor and sighed. “I suppose we should get these three to the Infirmary before they start developing cramps from their positions on the floor.”

“I will take them,” Master Leveret said as he began manipulating water in the air. Like all other mages that have undergone the Rites, he could not perform other forms of magic other than the manipulation of Water Magic. He made the three trainees float in the air on their back as he moved them to the direction of the Infirmary. They were literally floating as they were supported by the tiniest bits of water rather than telekinesis, an aspect of Mind Magic.

When it was just me, Matthew, and Mistress Gwen in my room, she turned towards us with a stern expression that made me wince.

“Are we in trouble?” Matty asked, voicing the very same thoughts in my head.

“You,” she said as she turned towards Matty, “probably not. You on the other hand,” she said as she looked at me, “are probably in for very difficult times ahead.”

NEXT WEEK: Ch 06: Mountain Escort
For your comments, thoughts, or suggestions, leave a review and let me know! :)
Alternatively, you can make a post on the official forum thread found here:
http://www.gayauthor...t-of-vengeance/
Copyright © 2013 Hamen Cheese; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Samuel, nothing ever seems to go quite his way.

Hopefully he and Lance will be able to find some common ground somewhere soon. Especially with them both sharing the same dorm.

Another cracking chapter, Hamen.

Thank you! :)

Link to comment

A week of horse muck! ohmy.png That's got to suck. It makes a ruler to the knuckles sound tame. I enjoyed listening to Ernie whine about it. laugh.png

I'm curious about the "magic" rock introduced in this chapter. Perhaps we'll hear more about it later in the story, maybe even along with Sam's 'lil bro. whistle.gif

It does seem Lance could use a friend...or maybe a punching bag.

I'm enjoying the story more as I get to know your characters better. Great job with this chapter! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..