Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cyclic Poems, Set B, "Pulsar" - 4. Sunday's Sermon

The Neat family attend church minus Corbulo and Asie.

You can be seated. . . As we get ready to celebrate Saint Patrick this week throughout the environs of Milwaukee, either through celebration or exploitation, we are reminded in today’s readings and liturgy about true prayer and true supplication to our Lord, Yahweh. This communion between the sacred and the profane always begins with a call and then a response. Sometimes the call comes and the response comes suddenly. Sometimes only tenacity in character helps in the long wait of a supplicant might have to endure while pleading, petitioning, Yahweh. Also, we are usually always preoccupied with the results and forget that the sacredness of prayer and response is just as important as the miracle or the gift from Yahweh. In the same model but angulated differently sometimes the Lord’s call and our response to it itself is a holy act of communion. So, by extension, the actual sacred communion begins in the call by either the sacred or the profane. So usually you pray and think of what will happen when you receive your petition. ’ I will give an additional alms.’ ‘I will take a pilgrimage.’ ‘I will exclaim that there is no God but Yahweh!’ And these are just slight examples in geste of what we are capable in ability to promise. This said, that the sacredness is in the act of the supplicant and the hearer, in today’s first reading of Yahweh’s reading we are instructed to cry out for help to Him, Yahweh. And if we do so He will answer ‘here I am.’ Again, we should see the sacredness in the act. We are also reminded to take pleasure in His Holy Day; we should describe our Sabbath as ‘Delightful.’ Again, we should see the sacredness in the our dedicating a day in our week to our Lord. This does not mean that we should only do this once a week but basically to amplify at least one day in the glory of Yahweh. Also, oddly enough, we are asked to not only not travel about on this sacred day, but also refrain from idle talk. Again, we should see the sacredness in the act of communicating, especially on Sunday between our loved ones and our distant petitioners. Prayer to Yahweh, again, should not be considered idle talk. Not only is this point explicitly explained in the first reading, it is illustrated elegantly in today’s responsorial Psalm. Today’s is taken from a segment of the Prayer Of David. David asks, supplicates, Yahweh to listen to his prayers, to take pity in him, to fill his heart with joy. ‘Yahweh, hear my prayer, listen to the sound of my pleading.’ Here our universal religious should see the sacredness in the act of asking and receiving. Now, today’s Gospel is from Luke. Here though, our Lord called out Levi, the tax collector, the Lord commanded ‘Follow Me.’ Not only did Levi also say ‘here I am Lord,’ he showed his mindfulness of the sacred matter by making a great celebration in Jesus’ name. Regardless of others say, He answers with a yes, and not only a ‘yes,’ but a ‘YES’ with exclamation points, bells, whistles, flowers, celebrations. ‘Yes.’ In decision, we should see the sacredness in the bond of asking and receiving...Glory be to our Lord through Jesus Christ. Yes, indeed. Now let us prepare ourselves for our other sacred Catholic Communion.”

He turns and goes to the altar.

Listen and see what has happened to...
(PS: I wrote the Sermon myself. It is meant to be dense.)
Copyright © 2011 JoejoeGreene; All Rights Reserved.
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..