Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 1,022 Words
  • 833 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Bless the Beasts and the Children - 12. Chapter 12

“Someone seems very chipper this morning.”

I looked up from my scrutiny of the plate I’d filled with an assortment of bacon and bangers and muffins to find Miss Evans giving me one of her inscrutable glances. Like she thought she knew something but was really only fishing for information. She thought she was so clever but I saw right through her.

“What do you mean?” I pretended to innocence, although I had a damn good idea what she was going on about.

“Don’t hand me that. You haven’t stopped smiling since you sat down. You look positively simple-minded, Mr. Black.”

I heard James snicker, and I didn’t have to look at Remus to know he was probably turning beet red, since he knew exactly why I was smiling, and why I was in such a good mood. The same reason he’d been smiling, at least until Lily started her interrogation.

“Can’t a man be happy at breakfast without getting the third degree?” I bit into a crispy piece of bacon. Had fried pork ever tasted so good? If I felt this way just from what we did last night, then how good would the morning after the big event be? I tingled just to think about it.

“Oh it’s the food. Of course,” she snarked. “I knew it had nothing to do with History of Magic.”

Our first class. I had to refrain from groaning. Of course, I could always sleep through the lecture, but that wouldn’t sit well with Remus and I didn’t want to do anything to upset his delicate balance. Not today. Not after last night. Especially as that time of the month was fast approaching.

Which reminded me of that other matter. But that had to wait until I got James alone again before I could look into that. Well, I knew an easy way to arrange that.

I waited until I’d been bored witless during our first class, which at least earned me Remus’ approbation, and made it worthwhile staying awake during that frightful snoozefest. As Remus and I left the classroom, I caught sight of James and beckoned to him. He should really thank me for that, because he was chatting up some bird and was on the verge of being caught at it by you-know-who. The girl went on her way with a last wave and a smile and James approached us with a yawn.

“What’s up?”

I just shook my head, dismissing his behavior and focusing on other things. “I had an idea for a Quidditch move I thought we could work on.”

Immediately, Remus’ eyes glazed over, although he didn’t say anything. He was far too loyal and far too polite for that. But I knew his interest in Quidditch was about on the same level as mine in Arithmancy, which is why he was taking it and I wasn’t.

Luckily, Lily came along at that moment and spirited Remus away for prefecty stuff, giving me just the opportunity I sought. I have to admit she can be useful at times.

“So what is this move you’re talking about?” Sometimes James can be a bit clueless, although he’s generally as brilliant as I am.

I shook my head. “There isn’t any,” I said, lowering my voice. “That was just an excuse. I didn’t get a chance to ask last night, did you get anywhere with Peter?”

“He’s getting there,” James replied with an assurance I didn’t feel. “I think he’ll be ready in time. Don’t worry, Sirius.”

Well, I did worry when it came to Remus. I was tired of watching him suffer through his changes alone every month. Having us there with him had to be a good thing, right?

“I wonder what animal he’s going to be,” I mused.

James laughed. “He’s worried he’ll end up a cat and your dog will chase him.”

“Probably would,” I admitted. “He better watch out, that’s all. Come on, let’s get on to class before we’re late.”

I didn’t mind Transfiguration, even though we were far beyond where the teacher thought we were. What McGonagall didn’t know wouldn’t hurt us. On the other hand, if she found out what we’d done… I shuddered to think what she’d do. Probably run straight to Dumbledore. I always suspected there was something going on there, but I had no evidence. Of course, no one had any evidence of Remus and me either.

“I have an idea,” I said with a sudden flash of insight. “Remus has Arithmancy this afternoon. Let’s meet up then and put him through his paces.”

“That sounds positively brill!” James flashed me his mega-watt smile.”Where should we do this?”

I thought for a moment. The Quidditch Field was my first thought, but that was taking a chance on being seen. Too out in the open.

“How about the dorm? Frank has Arithmancy too, so he won’t be there either.” I suddenly became aware of a growing silence around us.

“Oh shite, we’re going to be late, come on.” We flew down the halls, robes flapping behind us, to our classroom, just encountering our dear teacher as she was about to enter the room.

“So kind of you gentlemen to join us,” she said in that dry sort of way she has, where you don’t know if she’s having you on or if she means it. My motto is best to err on the side of caution and take everything she says with a grain of salt.

“Sorry, Professor McGonagall.” I stopped long enough to catch my breath and bat my baby blues at her. She rolled her eyes.

“Oh lord, Sirius, how foolish do you think I am? Get on with you both.”

As we hurried to our seats, James gave me a friendly punch in the arm. “You smooth-tongued devil,” he teased, but I think his voice held a note of admiration too.

“Aren’t I, though?” I smirked as I slid into the seat beside Remus, who turned inquisitive eyes to me. “Later,” I mouthed and settled down to listen as McGonagall cleared her throat for our attention.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 JulieLHayes; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..