Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 1,616 Words
  • 636 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Bless the Beasts and the Children - 16. Chapter 16

I woke the next morning with a feeling of jubilation which just would not stop. We did it, we did it, my heart kept singing. We really did it! I would have been happier had Remus been there in the dorm to celebrate with, but he wasn’t. Rather, he was in the infirmary. No, nothing was wrong, that was standard operating procedure for the day after the full moon. Poor Remus often ended up with scratches and wounds and such that needed tending. Discreetly, of course. And always accompanied by a cover story of how such injuries had been acquired. No matter, I’d just head over there and check on him before breakfast.

 

The important thing was that we had succeeded— even Peter. I knew that the credit for that went to James. I hadn’t the patience he did, and somehow he’d managed to pull it off, for which I’d be forever grateful. And now Remus wouldn’t have to be alone in the Shrieking Shack anymore, which did considerable to soothe the concern I felt for him every month, knowing what he had to endure. Sure, it was a major coup, our accomplishment, and also pretty damn clever. But that didn’t matter to me as much as knowing Remus would be safe with us.

 

I dressed as quickly as I could, glanced at myself in the mirror—not the long languishing looks that James liked to give—and started out the door, when a voice drew me back.

 

“Why are you up already?” James’ head popped into view from beneath his covers. He gave me a bleary-eyed glance as he reached up and scratched at his unruly head. “Not time for breakfast yet, is it?”

 

“No, go back to sleep, it’s still early,” I assured him. “I’m going to check on Remus while I have time.”

 

“Ah, okay.” He yawned loudly. “Tell him I say hey.” He rolled off before I could respond. I shook my head at him and continued on my way. Not a peep from Peter, but that wasn’t surprising. Yesterday had probably taken quite the toll on him, judging by the way I, and undoubtedly James, felt. Cavorting all night around Hogsmeade in our animal persona was fairly tiring, but loads of fun, actually.

 

The infirmary was quiet as a tomb when I arrived. Didn’t seem to be a whole lot going on there this morning. A few students lay sleeping in the main part, but I didn’t bother to stop there. Remus was kept isolated, for his own sake and his privacy, in a small room just off the hall. I had almost reached the door when I heard a stern voice behind me.

 

“And just where do you think you’re going, young man?”

 

I froze at the sound. I’d hoped to sneak in behind Matron’s back, but apparently I’d failed. Damn. Still, couldn’t be helped. Better to turn and face the music. Get it over with.

 

As I turned, I plastered one of my biggest and prettiest smiles on my face. “Good morning, Madam Pomfrey! And my goodness, you are looking lovely this morning. I swear you look ten years younger than the last time I saw you.”

 

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t buying a word of my mullarkey. Not like she hadn’t heard it before. Her brows drew together, and her lips set into a firm line, and I expected to be tossed out on my ear at any second.

 

So I decided to be honest, for once in my life, and see where it got me. “Please, I just wanted to check on Remus, make sure he’s all right. That’s all. I won’t stay long. Promise.”

 

“Harrumph,” she cleared her throat, her look growing more stern and forbidding by the second. I held my breath, waiting to see what she would do, clenching my fists so tightly, I might have drawn blood. Then, as I watched in amazement, her stern features began to relax, and a bit of a smile played about her lips.

 

“Go on with you, Sirius. Just don’t agitate him, you hear? And don’t stay long, you understand?”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” My eyes widened in surprise, but I quickly brought myself under control, lest she change her mind. I started to race toward Remus’ room before I had the presence of mind to turn back toward her. “Thank you, ma’am,” I remembered my manners. If nothing else, my parents had instilled those into me, by Merlin.

 

She shooed me off with a wave of her hands, and I wasted no time in popping into Remus’ room.

 

He was sound asleep, lying on his side, and if I had never seen him the day after the full moon, I’d say he looked a bit the worse for wear. But I had, many times, and compared to those times, he looked pretty damn good. Last night had been energizing for all of us. We’d kept the wolf under control, played with him all night long, and no harm done to anyone. A good night for one and all.

 

At times like this, he looked so delicate that I both wanted to hug him tightly and I was afraid to touch him, afraid I’d break him. I knew he wasn’t as fragile as he seemed. He couldn’t be to survive what he went through on a monthly basis. Remus Lupin was the strongest man I knew, and I both admired him and loved him for his strength.

 

I took a seat beside his bed, just so I could look at him. I had no intention of waking him, he clearly needed his sleep. I could come back later, just as long as I could spend a few minutes gazing at him now.

 

But despite my best intentions, I watched as his eyes fluttered open, then came to rest on me, and a small smile played about his beautiful lips.

 

“Sirius, you’re here.”

 

“Where else would I be?” I tried to shake the thickness out of my voice. Wouldn’t do to let him see what an emotional chump I was being. Had to keep up that manly image, after all.

 

Of course, I didn’t fool him one bit. His smile grew even more brilliant.

 

“Last night,” he began.

 

“Save your breath, you need to rest,” I fretted. Rising, I tried to draw the covers up closer to his chin, but he caught my hand in his and held onto it, before turning it over and placing a soft kiss upon my wrist.

 

That totally undid me. I felt the tears begin, tears of happiness, tears of relief, tears of love. I couldn’t speak just then, but it didn’t matter.

 

“Thank you for last night,” he said. “It meant so much…I can’t believe…” He lapsed into silence for a moment, still clutching my hand.

 

“James said to tell you hey,” I managed to get out finally. “I’m sure he’ll be by later. Pete too.”

 

Remus nodded and then yawned. “I feel much better today than usual, thanks to you three. Madam Pomfrey was amazed, wanted to know what happened.”

 

“What did you tell her?” I was afraid to ask.

 

Remus shrugged. “I just said my night wasn’t as bad as usual, and left it at that. She didn’t push.”

 

That was good to know. I breathed a sigh of relief that our secret was safe.

 

“What time is it? You’re not skipping class, are you?” A small pucker appeared in Remus’ forehead. I leaned down and gently tried to kiss it away.

 

“Not even,” I said. “It’s Sunday, remember? No classes today. Heading to breakfast soon. I just wanted to see you were all right.”

 

“Better now,” he said softly, and I tingled at his words. I had nothing to respond to that, so I just stood there, like a great lummox, our hands entwined, until I heard a cough behind me, and I took a quick step back, reluctantly letting Remus’ hand fall back onto his bed.

 

I turned to see who’d startled us so unpleasantly. Damn. It was Dumbledore. He gave me a quick scrutiny before turning his attention on Remus.

 

“How are you doing today, Mr. Lupin?” he asked solicitously.

 

“Very good, Headmaster, thank you,” Remus replied.

 

I made room for the headmaster at Remus’ bedside, but didn’t move back too far, just in case.

 

“I’m very glad to hear that,” Dumbledore said. “I take it last night went well?”

 

Why did he glance at me when he asked that? An icy shiver flew down my spine.

 

“Yes, sir, very well,” Remus said.

 

“Good. Glad to hear it. I think another day of rest and you can rejoin the others.”

 

That was surprising. Remus usually spent three days after the full moon, languishing in the infirmary. He was doing much better, wasn’t he? And I knew who the credit for that went to, even if I couldn’t admit to it.

 

“I’ll come by again later,” Dumbledore was saying. “Don’t overdo anything.” He strode purposefully toward the door, probably to make the rounds of the school and get to breakfast. I heaved a silent sigh of relief.

 

At the last moment, Dumbledore turned and faced me. “Mr. Black, I would like to see you in my office in ten minutes.”

 

And then he was gone.

 

Remus and I exchanged looks of consternation. Oh bloody hell, was the jig up?

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 JulieLHayes; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..