Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 2,247 Words
  • 1,970 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Dreamtrap - 13. Chapter 13

- XIII -

 

Raven had no idea which way they were going by now; the damn labyrinth definitely lived up to its name, twisting, and turning, and splitting into impossible forks. Desmond would pause for several seconds once in a while, a small frown pulling his eyebrows together, and then he would choose the direction. Raven didn’t argue with him -- by now, he simply didn’t care. Desmond would inevitably start hissing scrambled profanities every time they would end up in yet another dead-end, while turning around and backtracking somewhat hurriedly. All of a sudden, Specter became obsessively dedicated to finding the damn exit finally.

Raven tried visualizing his sleeping self several more times, but he gave up after realizing that he couldn’t even visualize the bedroom, let alone himself. It felt as if these mirrors blocked every single mental effort of his.

They came across several more illusions; a couple of those were nasty parts of Raven’s past, and a few apparently belonged to Desmond. They would grit their teeth and keep on walking, ignoring the shadows, and breaking them into clouds of white smoke. Finally, the illusions stopped, as if whoever or whatever was creating them decided to give up, seeing that it was useless and far from entertaining by now.

“I am tired,” Raven said shortly after they turned into another dead-end. “Break time.”

“Let’s get to another intersection,” Desmond said quickly, but Raven shook his head and slid down onto the floor.

“We will,” he said firmly. “After my legs don’t feel like they are about to fall off!”

Desmond let out a short, irritated sigh, but didn’t argue, and slowly sat next to the smaller man, stretching his legs with visible relief.

“What happened all of a sudden?” Raven wished for a cigarette so much that his teeth were aching. “It seemed like you would rather sit in one spot, waiting for an exit to pop in front of us; and now, you are acting like this place is about to explode within the next hour!”

“That’s because I didn’t think that time might run differently in here,” Desmond answered gloomily. “I don’t want to be asleep for several years...! My muscles will atrophy!”

Raven hemmed at that.

“Even if time does run differently here, I don’t think it’s that big of a difference,” he reasoned. “Plus, there is always a chance that it runs faster on this side... Maybe when we wake up, only a couple of hours would pass in reality...”

“Maybe,” Desmond said as gloomily as before.

They sat in silence for several minutes. Suddenly, Desmond winced.

“Will you stop thinking about the damn cigarettes already?” he demanded, and Raven frowned.

“I thought you said you didn’t eavesdrop,” he said evenly.

“I am not,” Desmond replied sharply. “It just feels like you shouting it as loud as you can...! I need one too, and you are not helping, screaming it out like this...”

“Sorry,” Raven sighed and tried switching his thoughts onto something else. “So,” he said a few minutes later, managing to shove the image of a cigarette farther into the back of his mind. “How did you and your mate meet?”

Desmond looked at him with a small frown.

“Why?” he asked suspiciously.

“Making a conversation,” Raven shrugged. “Keeps my mind off smoking.”

Desmond hemmed and relaxed somewhat, shifting slightly on the floor, changing the angle of his legs.

“He...” he smiled to himself. “He knocked me out in the alley one night...” He glanced at Raven. “With a bat,” he nodded. “Then he chained me to a pipe in his house.”

“That’s...” Raven said slowly. “...romantic,” he finished with a slight, confused nod. Desmond smiled again.

“Actually, your mate is the one to blame for that,” he said, and then slightly frowned. “Come to think of it,” he said thoughtfully. “I guess if not for your mate, Rayhe and I would never meet... Holy hell...” he muttered and shook his head. “What about you?” he looked at still puzzled Raven a minute later. “How did you end up with Salamander? Did you attend one of his soirees, started sucking his blood, and then love just bloomed...?”

Raven laughed softly at that.

“No,” he shook his head. “I was supposed to steal something from him...” He threw a quick glance at Desmond. “That rock,” he said. “The one Magda was after...”

Desmond nodded a quick ‘I got it, go on.’

“Well,” Raven sighed. “He caught me,” he said thoughtfully. “Because of my own stupidity mostly,” he grimaced.

“What happened?” Desmond asked with genuine interest after the smaller man fell silent.

Raven smiled without baring his teeth.

“He raped me,” he said and looked at Desmond calmly.

“Okay...” Desmond said slowly. “I thought you didn't get off on pain...”

“I don’t,” Raven smiled again. “And in the beginning, it did hurt...”

“In the beginning,” Desmond repeated.

“Yeah,” Raven looked into the mirror in front of him. “Then he changed the angle somewhat, and hit just the right spot...” he sighed. “And in the end...” he looked at Desmond again with the same calm smile. “I never came so hard in my entire life,” he nodded. “I hated the entire ordeal,” he continued thoughtfully. “Hated him, hated myself... Well, a couple of weeks later, he found me... Started showing up at my apartment almost every day,” he threw another quick glance at very thoughtful by now Desmond. “Just for sex,” he nodded.

“Wasn’t rape anymore, right?” Desmond asked in a low voice.

“Wasn’t rape anymore,” Raven agreed. “Well, then several months later...” He frowned for a second. “Sometime in December, I think... That was when I realized that I managed to fall for him...”

“Apparently, it was mutual,” Desmond said in the same low voice, remembering that certain look in Salamander’s eyes back in April when he looked at Raven.

“Yeah...” Raven smiled again. “Surprised the hell out of me,” he nodded, and then shrugged. “Anyway, that’s how we ended up together...”

“How does he get his pain fix?” Desmond frowned. “I mean, clearly, he is not hurting you...”

“He doesn’t hurt me,” Raven said without looking away from Desmond’s green eyes.

“I see,” the ex-assassin nodded slowly. “Do you even know whom he is hurting?” he asked darkly.

“If sex is involved, then yes,” Raven nodded as calmly as before.

“Takes one to know one,” Desmond muttered and looked at his reflection, away from Raven’s different-colored eyes.

“I suppose,” Raven shrugged indifferently. “Wait,” he frowned a few seconds later. “What did you mean when you said that Julian was the reason that you and Rayhe are together?”

“Long story,” Desmond said, still without looking at the other man. “Had something to do with him trying to get his hands on me because I killed his first mate a while ago...”

“Oh, yeah,” Raven muttered. “Vivienne...”

“Yeah,” Desmond threw him a quick glance. “Her... Well,” he shrugged with a small, dark smile. “I guess he wouldn’t get so worked up over her if he knew that he wasn’t the only one...” He cut himself off abruptly. “Never mind,” he quickly shook his head.

Raven frowned at his slip of the tongue.

“If he knew he wasn’t the only one what?” he asked.

“Nothing,” Desmond shook his head once again. “Let’s move it...”

Raven frowned deeper without making a slightest attempt to get up.

“Let’s move it,” Desmond repeated somewhat impatiently.

“You slept with her, didn’t you?” Raven asked quietly, and the green-eyed man slowly leaned onto the wall behind him again.

“I never said that,” he said calmly without shifting his gaze.

“You are not the type to let things to slip out,” Raven looked at him without a smile. “Why did you want me to know?”

Desmond looked at him without saying anything and without blinking. Raven let out a dark smile.

“No,” he said as quietly as before. “I am not going to tell him... Not because of you, but because it would hurt him in the way he doesn’t enjoy; and I would never do that to him. If that makes me fucked-up in the head...” he shrugged. “Then so be it.”

“Actually, this doesn’t make you fucked-up in the head,” Desmond said in a low voice. “Other things? Hell, yeah; but this one actually makes you anything but fucked-up...”

“Good for me,” Raven muttered and got up. “Let’s move it.”

 

...He followed Desmond silently, a tight frown on his forehead, hands shoved into his pockets. “Why did she do it?” he mused darkly without even thinking that Desmond could have lied; somehow, he knew that the other man was telling the truth. “Wonder if Specter was the only one...” He gritted his teeth and pushed all those thoughts deep down into his mind, locking the door and throwing away the imaginary key. “I am not going to think about it again,” he said silently. “I am not going to...”

Suddenly, Desmond came to an abrupt stop, and Raven, who wasn’t paying much attention, lost in his dark thoughts, ran into him and stumbled backwards, almost losing his balance.

“What...” he started saying angrily after he managed to keep himself upright, catching the mirrored wall just in time.

“Shhh...!” Desmond threw his hand up without looking at him, and Raven stopped talking.

He glanced around warily, wondering what it was this time.

“Do you hear that?” Desmond muttered after a few long seconds.

Raven listened harder, and almost said, ‘Hear what?’ when suddenly, he did hear it. There was some strange, clanking sound somewhere ahead of them, although it was difficult to tell the direction the sound was coming from because of all the echoes.

“Yeah...” he said slowly. “What the hell is that sound?”

“I don’t know...” Desmond cocked his head to the right, listening more intently. “It sounds like it’s getting closer...”

Raven frowned deeper, the sound becoming vaguely familiar. He had heard something like this before, he thought tightly. What was it...? He couldn’t remember and bit his lip in frustration rather harshly. Suddenly, he remembered and looked at Desmond with wide eyes.

“It’s the sound of claws,” he said quickly, and the green-eyed man looked at him without blinking. “Claws on the hard floor,” Raven nodded.

They threw identically quick glances at the mirrored floor. Desmond looked around, scanning every single mirror with blink-free eyes.

“Over there,” he muttered and swiftly moved to the left.

Raven followed him without asking any useless questions. He hated that sound; he recognized it because his merciless memory flashed at him a bright and clear image of Rufus walking slowly towards his food bowl, his long, sharp, strangely non-retractable claws making a clanking impact with his Aunt’s hardwood floor – his Aunt never believed in clipping her pet’s toenails. The sound they heard right now was a lot stronger and louder, and Raven knew that whatever made that sound was much bigger than a cat. It sounded like Rufus’ claws multiplied by twenty.

They dove into the little corridor on their left, and Raven cursed in a hissing whisper – it was another dead-end.

“Shhh...!” Desmond’s hand flew up once again, and Raven pressed his back into the wall, holding his breath.

“Maybe it’s just another illusion,” he thought without making any noise. “To scare all crap out of us...”

Yeah, maybe that what it was, but he was not going to take any chances. Desmond slammed his back into the mirror right next to Raven, holding his breath just as the other man did, without taking his eyes off the opening on their right. After what felt like an eternity, something slowly walked by their dead-end alcove, and Raven blinked rapidly when he saw what it was. That thing looked like a nightmarish version of a Doberman; except, it was at least twice as big, with glowing ruby-red eyes, and it was wearing something that resembled horns.

Raven pressed his back harder into the wall, locking his teeth on his lip, swallowing every single sound that was about to emerge from his throat. He had no idea whether this was an illusion, and he didn’t have a slightest desire to try and test it, because if it was real... Raven shuddered without finishing his thought.

The beast paused next to their alcove, its paw raised uncertainly, its long, pointy ears jerking impatiently. Raven forced himself to stop breathing. Finally, the beast relaxed somewhat and walked away from the alcove, the sound of its nightmarish claws disappearing in the distance. Raven slowly let out all that air he was holding in his lungs.

“Was that an illusion?” he muttered almost inaudibly, and Desmond slowly shook his head.

“No,” he whispered. “That was real...”

Raven’s back tingled with a harsh, unpleasant cold shiver.

“How do you know?” he asked in the same tight whisper.

“It had thoughts,” Desmond turned his head towards the other man. “Well...” he frowned quickly. “It had one thought...” he nodded. “Kill,” he finished, and Raven just stared at him.

“We need to get the hell out of here,” he said finally in a low voice, and Desmond silently nodded. “Let’s go,” Raven glanced into the mirrors, making sure the corridor reflected nothing but emptiness. “Let’s hope that if there are any more of those, we would be able to hear them as well...”

“Yeah,” Desmond muttered, and they left their alcove, throwing around wary, cautious glances.

©Katya Dee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

If Magda interest is obtaining a physical form, why would she kill them?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I hope Desmond starts reading thoughts from now on, could sure as heck come handy 

27 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

If Magda interest is obtaining a physical form, why would she kill them?

Because that's what people like her do, take revenge 😔

  • Like 2
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

If Magda interest is obtaining a physical form, why would she kill them?

She wouldn't. At first, she just wanted "to play," not knowing that she wouldn't get the painting after all, and the incantation would be useless as well. And without the painting she couldn't operate the labyrinth. Also she could only create illusions, but not something corporeal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Kkh said:

I hope Desmond starts reading thoughts from now on, could sure as heck come handy 

Because that's what people like her do, take revenge 😔

The question is which desire and need is stronger; escape from eternal disembodiment or momentary satisfaction of revenge.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
35 minutes ago, Katya Dee said:

She wouldn't. At first, she just wanted "to play," not knowing that she wouldn't get the painting after all, and the incantation would be useless as well. And without the painting she couldn't operate the labyrinth. Also she could only create illusions, but not something corporeal.

So how is she operating the labyrinth now? She doesn't have the painting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So who (or what) is responsible for the hellhound? And do trapped people (not ghosts like Magda) get hungry, get sleepy or have to pee in the labyrinth?

Most importantly, why did Desmond cut his hair?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, drpaladin said:

So how is she operating the labyrinth now? She doesn't have the painting.

She is not operating it -- she can only throw in random illusions, that's all.

 

2 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

So who (or what) is responsible for the hellhound?

Labyrinth itself. 

2 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

do trapped people (not ghosts like Magda) get hungry, get sleepy or have to pee in the labyrinth?

No, because they are not corporeal; their physical bodies are being taken care of. Feeling tired is more of a psychological aspect.

2 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

Most importantly, why did Desmond cut his hair?

There is (or there is not) a possibility of an explanation of the haircut in upcoming chapters 😶

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Katya Dee said:

No, because they are not corporeal; their physical bodies are being taken care of. Feeling tired is more of a psychological aspect.

So the hellhound isn’t corporeal, either? Where’s its sleeping body? If it kills them here = brain dead in real life? Or only the portion of them in the labyrinth dies? If that portion is their soul, does that mean they spend the rest of their lives unable to feel?

... um. I have questions. LOL

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Katya Dee said:

There is (or there is not) a possibility of an explanation of the haircut in upcoming chapters 

Blair was really pissed and set his hair on fire!  😃

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Geemeedee said:

So the hellhound isn’t corporeal, either?

Hellhound is corporeal (in labyrinth terms, but still). Labyrinth is an autonomous thing even in relations to dreamland. So whatever is created by Labyrinth itself doesn't follow illusion/non-corporeal rules. 

*looks around and whispers* hellhounds are bred by the mirrors...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..