Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,083 Words
  • 3,682 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Roommates - 10. Chapter 10

Finishing at the golf course left us with nothing to do before returning to the dock for lunch. Carl and Dad had finished their conversation about golf, but I was still thankful that they had found something to talk about at all.

“Do you want to do something else?” I asked as we returned the golf clubs, thankful that I wouldn’t have to embarrass myself anymore.

“No, we should go wait at the dock,” Dad answered as he walked away, motioning for Carl to follow him. Carl turned in our direction to smile before taking a few steps away.

“Your Dad has a new son,” Brett observed. “You’ve been replaced.”

“Shut up,” I said, grabbing Brett’s shoulder and shoving him gently.

“It’s good they’re getting along,” Brett said. We turned and walked to catch up and I took the time to call the cab so that we could leave.

“Yeah,” I agreed, after calling the cab.

“It also means Kat and him don’t have to sneak around for some sex,” Brett whispered, laughing slightly. I struggled to keep hold of my phone, hoping Dad didn’t hear what was said.

“You idiot,” I said, shaking my head. Brett shrugged innocently.

“Will, I was just telling Carl about the home we have in Montana,” Dad said, noticing that we were standing with them again.

“He invited me this winter,” Carl added and I noticed that he seemed unsure about the idea.

“Kathryn said she wasn’t going this winter,” I said, remembering the conversation that morning during breakfast.

“It’s a tradition that we need to start back again with Will,” Dad stated. “Your Mother really misses the two of you during holidays.”

“We’re busy during December,” I said. I felt Brett elbow me and when I glanced at him he shook his head. “I’ll think about it though.”

“Son, work doesn’t have to control your life,” Dad remarked, patting me on the shoulder.

“This coming from a retired workaholic,” I countered. Dad smirked, dropping his hand from my shoulder after giving it a slight squeeze. I was glad that the cab had arrived then as the tension between us had returned.

“Am I invited if Will comes?” Brett asked just before he climbed into the back seat.

“Sure,” Dad answered. “You’re not half as bad as I thought you were.”

“Well thanks,” Brett said, trying to keep a straight face as he climbed into the back seat. I started to scoot into the middle, but Dad stopped me.

“Carl can ride in back,” Dad said. I moved away letting Carl slide into the middle of the back seat. Dad walked around and got in, leaving me to ride in front. It was quiet on the way back to the dock and I turned to look at them in the back seat. I noticed that Brett looked bored as he watched the passing buildings as the cab went by. Carl and Dad had started talking about sports in general now and I couldn’t help feeling jealous of their easy conversation. Dad and I had never had that kind of relationship, but Carl went from the help to a friend. I knew first hand that Carl is easy to get along with, but I also knew how difficult Dad is as well.

“We’ve arrived,” the driver announced. He left the cab running as I opened the door. I glanced at the meter and then grabbed my wallet to pay him before standing.

When we were all out of the cab he drove away leaving us to stand at the dock. I glanced at my watch and realized that it was getting late in the day and I wondered how long it took for two women to each pick out a dress.

“It’s way too late for lunch,” Dad said. “Do you think we should go back to the yacht and change for dinner?”

“No,” I answered.

“We’re not dressed for dinner,” Dad argued, crossing his arms. “I would not be comfortable sitting down to dinner like this.”

“You look fine Dad,” I said as I looked him over.

“What do you think we should do Carl?” Dad asked, as he dismissed my answer and turned to face Carl. Carl glanced past him to where I was standing wanting a hint as to what to tell him, but I just shrugged. It put him in a position he wasn’t used to; I looked at Brett who seemed amused by the whole situation.

“We are sweaty, Will,” Carl said, frowning.

“Fine,” I said, giving in. “Call someone to come get us.”

“Alright,” Carl replied. He walked away from the three of us to make the call. Dad smiled at me as he flipped open his phone to call Mom to see how long she and Kat would be.

“Someone is getting jealous,” Brett said teased, slamming his arm around my shoulder leaning against me. “Your pouting is sexy too.”

“I am not getting jealous,” I countered, rolling my eyes and shrugging off his arm.

“Are too,” Brett said, letting his arm slide off my shoulders. I would never admit to being jealous, even though I was already thinking it to myself. It was just something I’d have to get used to. I did know though, that if I did bring someone home to meet Dad it would be different.

“I’m not,” I asserted, not wanting him to push it any further. I turned to see Carl and Dad talking again, both of them finished with their calls and I sighed, wanting Mom and Kat to return.

“It’s ok if you are,” Brett whispered, sounding serious. When I looked at him he smiled slightly.

“Ok, I am a little,” I said, realizing that it was difficult to lie to Brett.

“I would be too,” Brett responded. I smiled at Brett’s comforting side that was always there when I needed it.

“Dad,” I said as I walked up to where he was standing with Carl. Carl walked away seeming like he needed his space for a few minutes.

“Yes Will?” Dad said, turning to face me.

“Where are they?” I asked, wondering if we were waiting for them so that everyone could change before heading back out to a family dinner. It would be good to get away from the tension filled dining room in the yacht.
“They’re going to meet us for dinner; we’re meeting at the yacht,” Dad explained. “Will, can I ask you something?”

“Yes,” I answered, studying him. I hoped he wouldn’t ask me anything personal.

“How is your life in California?” Dad asked, smiling at me.

“What do you mean?” I asked, the question throwing me off slightly.

“Is everything ok with you, I mean,” Dad clarified “The bills getting paid and stuff like that?”

“Yes Dad,” I answered. “Brett and I are getting by in the apartment and everything.”

“Why don’t you take some money and buy a house?” Dad asked as he put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed.

“The apartment is working fine Dad, really,” I replied, turning down the offer as politely as possible.

“You’ll need a house when you settle down with someone; you can’t live with Brett in an apartment forever,” Dad said. “Mom wanted me to talk to you and convince you to take some money before you leave.”

“Well, I’m alright on my own Dad,” I said.

The sound of the approaching boat could be heard and as I looked over my shoulder to where Brett and Carl were standing I noticed that Brett was watching the two of us.


“I know you are Will,” Dad said, taking his hand off my shoulder. “We’re proud you’ve made something of yourself.”


“Then let me settle down when I want to settle down,” I said, wanting to get away from this talk. I didn’t need money from my parents, all these years I was trying to distance myself from their large shadows and form my own reputation as a successful functioning adult. Both of my parents were trying to push me into settling down and I was uneasy about having to have a serious talk with them about my life.


“What did you two discuss?” Brett whispered. The boat was in sight now and would be stopping at the dock in a few seconds.


“I’ll tell you when we get to our room,” I said, looking around to make sure Dad couldn’t overhear anything.


When we were firmly back on the yacht we all separated to get ready for dinner. The talk with my Dad had me uneasy and it dampened the good time we had had playing golf, even if I sucked at the course. I had hoped that as time passed their desire for me to settle down would go away, but it hadn’t and I was now starting to feel the same pressure that had driven me to California in the first place.


“Now that we’re back in our room,” Brett whispered as he walked around me. “What has you all up tight?”


“Dad wanted me to move out so that I can settle down,” I said. “Wanted me to take money and buy a house.”


“A house would be nice,” Brett, said, “it would be nice to walk around ass end naked and not worry if old lady Granger is calling the cops on you.”


“You said that wasn’t you that got caught,” I said, remembering the night the cops questioned everyone in the building about a midnight flasher around the apartments. Brett turned away, smiling awkwardly, and for a few seconds I forgot about my problems with Dad.


“Well I didn’t get caught did I?” Brett asked. “The case is probably closed and forgotten anyway.”


“But Ms. Granger is still scarred by the experience,” I countered, shoving Brett playfully. He was removing his shirt and lost his balance, falling over his flip-flops and landing on the bed.


“How do you know?” Brett asked as he threw his shirt in my direction. It landed on the edge of the mirror.


“She talks about it every time I see her…good thing she didn’t get a look at your face,” I said, glancing in his direction while I unbuttoned my shirt. Brett had completely stripped and had left his clothes scattered across the floor as he made his way into the bathroom to take a quick shower. I took the time to study my face in the mirror, noticing that I had got more sun this trip than I wanted and was starting to burn. We were lucky not to have had any stormy weather while out here though.


When someone knocked on the door I looked around and sighed at the messy state of the room. I shoved Brett’s clothes into a small pile with my foot and then walked over to crack open the door. I never liked letting people see my room when I hadn’t had a chance to clean up.

“Hey, y’all ready?” Carl asked, as he looked me over through the crack in the door.

“No,” I said, “I’ve not showered and Brett just started his.”

“Your Mother is in a mad hurry to go to dinner,” Carl smiled. “She told me to come down here and get you both.”

“Well tell her it will be a while,” I insisted “I’ll have to hurry Brett out of the bathroom.”

“Why don’t you two shower together?” Carl asked. “I mean you’re both men and, you know, gay.”

“Carl,” I said, “not happening.”

“Well then I guess you’ll have to go to dinner as the only person who hasn’t showered,” Carl said. “I’m not telling my boss to wait for anything.”

“Pussy,” I said as I shut the door leaving him out in the hallway. I heard him laughing behind the door before he started back to wait on Brett and I.

“Who was at the door?” Brett yelled from the bathroom. I could still hear water running in the bathroom so I knew he hadn’t finished.

“Carl,” I responded, shaking my head. “He said that Mom was in a hurry so you have to get out now.”

“I’m all soaped up Will,” Brett said. “You can’t rush things, I just started.”

“I don’t have any time to shower though,” I said complained. “You can take a longer shower when we get home.”

“Well why don’t you just hop in with me?” Brett asked and I found myself shaking my head again.

“Carl said the same thing,” I said, avoiding the question as I walked closer to the door. When I tried the handle it was unlocked. “Of all the times you don’t take a five second shower it had to be this one.”

“Well usually we’re just going to Burger King,” Brett said. “This is a special occasion out with your parents.”

“Fine, I’m coming in,” I caved. I stripped slowly; hoping Brett would hurry and be out of there by the time I shed all of my clothes. But when I was down to just my boxer briefs he hadn’t finished, so I walked into the bathroom. The steam was intense and it had fogged the mirrors. Brett slid the door open slightly and looked out of the opening. He had shampoo in his hair and when his eyes traced down my body to my boxer briefs he smirked and disappeared behind the glass door again.

“Drop them and come on in, you prude,” Brett said. I rolled my eyes and looked at the handle of the toilet, wondering if it had the same effect on yachts that it did in our apartment building.

When I was completely naked I quickly pulled back the glass and slid in behind him. He had his back to me and was rinsing his hair so I looked down, not wanting to watch him then thought it would look like I was staring at him so I turned around.

“All right, your turn,” Brett stated, reaching out to tap me on the shoulder. I turned around to see him looking at me and then we did a careful dance around each other until I was under the spray of the showerhead.

“Thanks,” I said, “for letting me steal your shower.”

“Oh, I’m not done,” Brett said. “I like to relax a little while I shower.”


“Relax later,” I responded, closing my eyes and leaning back to wet my hair.


“I’ve seen you naked Will,” Brett said. “Why are you acting like the tiny kid in the locker room?”

“Nice,” I said, shaking my head. “I just don’t feel as free as you do.”

“Then why did you get in here in the first place?” Brett asked. “Did you want something?”

“No,” I answered quickly then thought about the question. “What do you mean?”

“You know what I meant, we have time to,” Brett answered and I swallowed hard as he started to kneel.

“No Brett,” I insisted, reaching out and grabbing his hand to stop him from reaching for me. “I think that was a one time thing.”

“So you don’t want it?” Brett asked, taking a step back to lean against the back of the shower.

“No,” I answered. “I don’t want anything weird between us like that.”

“Fine,” Brett responded with a frown. “I think I’m done here.”

“Brett,” I called. But he ignored me as he slid back the glass and stepped out of the shower. I let out a long sigh and rinsed my hair quickly before turning off the water and stepping out. I hurriedly wrapped a towel around my waist and left the bathroom to find Brett in the closet.

“Can I borrow a suit?” Brett asked, not looking back at me.

“Of course,” I replied, removing the towel from my waist to dry my body. “Can we talk about what just happened?”

“No,” he answered. “If you don’t want weird things between us then forgetting it happened would be the better thing to do.”

“How would that be the better thing to do?” I asked, letting the towel drop to the floor. When I walked to the closet to pick out my own suit Brett grabbed one from the closet and walked around me to start dressing. I chose another suit and laid it out on the bed. I grabbed some clean underwear and we both dressed in silence. I was waiting for him to answer me, but I knew he wouldn’t until he was ready. Brett never liked to argue with me until he had had time to come up with a way to win.

“We should look to be in better moods,” I said and he nodded as he opened the door. We walked to the back of the boat to meet with everyone. Carl and Kat were the only ones there and when we arrived they both started laughing.

“What is so fucking funny?” Brett asked, crossing his arms and looking the both of them over.

“I didn’t think Will would go for a shower with you,” Kat said. “I guess you won the bet Carl.”

“Funny,” I said sarcastically, crossing my arms like Brett had done. “How much time do we have really?”

“Not long,” Carl said. “But your Mother wasn’t in any hurry or anything.”

“You two look pissed,” Kat noted. “It was just a little thing; don’t get all sulky.”

“We’re not pissed,” I answered glancing in Brett’s direction. “Just silently plotting our revenge.”

“Right,” Kat said, smirking at me.

“Ready to go?” Dad asked as he and Mom walked over to us.

“Yeah,” Kat answered as she and Carl followed them onto the larger boat. I let Brett walk aboard the smaller one and I sat across from him. The noise of the motor on the boat prevented everyone from talking until we were on the deck. Dad told the guy taking us to the dock when to expect us back and to be waiting.


A limo was waiting for us when we left the dock and only Dad knew where we were going as Mom had let him care of the arrangements. Eating out was a welcome change from the cramped dining room of the yacht; it would also mean no fighting, which was all too common when everyone was gathered around a dinner table.


“Brett you do clean up nicely,” Mom said as she looked him over in the limo.


“Thanks,” Brett responded with a smile. “It’s Will’s suit though.”


“It fits you well,” she said and I noticed her linger over him a little longer before turning her attention to Dad.


“How was dress shopping?” I asked, not wanting the limo to fall silent again.


“It was good,” Kat said. “I mean after I lost all that weight the good dresses actually fit me.”


“She looked stunning in the dress she picked out,” Mom added, reaching across Carl’s lap to take hold of Kat’s hand. “It was also nice dress shopping with my baby girl.”


“Oh, Mom,” Kat said and I rolled my eyes, regretting that I even asked the question.


When the limo slowed to a stop we waited for the door to be opened. It was a small Italian restaurant and I was glad that it was in a quiet part of town and was not crowded.


“How did you find this place?” I asked looking around - it was a small place, but it was nice.

“It is an old friend’s place,” Dad said. “A little piece of the city that no one should miss really.”

“We’ve been here before,” Mom said, “when you two were little. You probably don’t remember.”

“No, I don’t,” I agreed.

“Oh you’re here,” the hostess said excitedly. “Your table is ready, please come this way.”

“Thank you Molly,” Dad said as we all followed the waitress to our seats. The restaurant was dimly lit with low hanging lights and candles on every table.

“I bet we trashed the place when we came here as kids,” Kat commented as we sat down at our table.

“We only serve spaghetti here, don’t worry, it’s probably the best in the entire state. So what will you be drinking?” Molly asked as she prepared to write the orders down.

“Just the best red wine available,” Mom answered. “We’re celebrating.”

“I heard. Congratulations.”

“Thank you,” Mom smiled as Molly left.

I didn’t want to be here feeling the way that I felt; it was too nice of a place to waste time wondering why Brett acted the way that he did back in our room. When I looked to where he was sitting I saw him looking at me. When he realized that I caught him he snorted slightly and averted his eyes. I then turned my attention to Carl and Kat who were sitting across from us at the small rectangular table. Kat had one hand resting on the table and the way that Carl was squirming I wondered where she had put her other one. I wanted to elbow Brett and point out the shocked face Carl was trying to hide, but I stopped myself after the look he had given me. We were seated in a large booth with Dad and Mom sitting at opposite ends of the table.

“Carl, are you feeling ill?” Dad asked, breaking the silence.

“N-no,” Carl responded with a slight stutter. “Well, maybe a little bit, but I can handle it.”

“Don’t wait around, if you feel sick just excuse yourself from the table,” Mom said curtly. The tone she used caused me to look at her and when I saw that she was eyeing Kat’s missing hand I looked up at the ceiling, fighting the urge to laugh. When I heard Brett laugh I looked in his direction realizing that he had noticed as well.

“The wine,” Molly said as she set down two bottles of wine and six glasses. “Your food will be here shortly.”


“Thanks,” I said when no one else said anything. Molly smiled then left us alone.

“Kathryn I will need to talk to you later,” Mom said.

“Ok,” Kat responded weakly. Dad hadn’t caught on to what was going on and I knew that Carl was thankful that he hadn’t as it would have ended all the progress they had made earlier in the day.


After the food came everyone ate silently as it was good and a welcome change from the fighting that morning at breakfast. This appeared to be an enjoyable dinner, but the only people that seemed to be enjoying it were Mom and Dad with Mom pretending not to let Kat’s behavior bother her. When we finished, Dad left Molly a large tip for her services and invited her to the anniversary party. The limo was waiting for us when we left the restaurant and the ride back to the yacht was silent.

When Brett and I got back to our room we started changing into what we were sleeping in. I didn’t want to leave the room again until we talked, but Brett didn’t look like he was in any mood for talking.

“Are we going to talk?” I asked, sitting on the bed with my shirt off as I untied my shoes.

“I don’t know,” Brett answered. “I don’t really want to, but since everything is your way we might as well.”

“Don’t be pissy,” I responded, glancing over my shoulder to look at him. “You’re my best friend Brett and I wouldn’t know what to do if that changed.”

“Yeah,” Brett said, “but you know things are changing.”

“What do you mean?” I asked as I stood up, letting my pants slide to the floor. I picked them up and put my suit back on the hanger. When Brett hesitated I turned around and found him giving me an unreadable

“Forget it,” Brett said. “I’m not going to talk to you tonight. I’m going to go sleep in the living room.”


“No, I’ll go,” I said. “I won’t be able to sleep anyway.”

“This is your room,” Brett said “Your yacht. I’m going to the living room.” He grabbed a pair of shorts, still wearing my suit, then walked out of the room. It was the first time in a long time we had gone to sleep arguing and I didn’t even know why it had started, but I would get it out of him before the anniversary party.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Brett and Will need to talk! It´s obvious they want more than just friendship from each other, but one of them needs to say it out aloud.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..