Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,150 Words
  • 5,236 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Roommates - 2. Chapter 2

Waking up to a person shaking me was annoying. When I looked up and saw Brett standing over me I knew that I had overslept. I normally leave an hour before he has to be awake, but he was already dressed in his gear.

“You can stop shaking me, I’m up,” I said and that’s when I noticed that he looked shaken up, “what the hell happened?”

“I got a phone call this morning,” he said and I sat up on the bed. He sat down on it then leaned back.

“Did something happen back home?” I asked fearing the worst. Brett hardly ever let his feelings be this apparent.

“Well, promise not to hate me,” he said turning his head to look at me. He had been staring up at the ceiling.

“You know I can’t hate you,” I responded, “now just tell me, I don’t want to be late for work.”

“I was fired,” Brett said, “and it was because I failed the drug test.”

“How did you fail the drug test Brett?” I asked trying not to get angry before I heard what he had to say.

“I could have smoked a little something with people, but I couldn’t tell them not to give me the drug test,” he said getting up and pacing the floor, “I know you’re mad so just don’t sit there like that, kick my fuckin ass or something.”

“I’m not going to kick your ass,” I said pulling the covers off me and standing up.

“What am I supposed to do about this?” He asked still pacing the floor.

“Come with me to the anniversary celebration,” I said putting my arm on his shoulder to stop his pacing.

“I’m not doin that,” he said looking at me, “someone needs to stay here and pay for shit.”

“With what job?” I asked and he frowned. I noticed he hadn’t styled his hair as he ran his hands through the messy strands

“I fuck everything up,” he said as I sighed after looking at the clock
“I don’t have time to calm you down,” I said studying him, “just pack your things and have everything ready for us to leave.”

“Ok,” he said, “have you packed?”

“No,” I said, “I’ll do that when I get in; we’re not working the entire day today.”

“Ok,” he said, “and Marc left last night, so don’t ask.” I smiled at him, I would ask him what happened after I went to bed, but it would have to wait until he’s not a mess.

“And take those gay ass shorts off, you don’t need those anymore,” I said looking him over, “see you after work, keep the house clean and tell the Smiths next door to keep watch on the place for us.”

“Ok, boss,” he said leaving me to get ready.

This was going to be an interesting summer. All Brett knew about my family was what I’ve told him and by what he could read on the net. I haven’t told my parents that I am gay. They told me that I had to uphold the family name because my sister would never catch a respectable man. I didn’t expect Kathryn to be at the anniversary party; the last I heard she was still in Africa and that was over seven years ago. She was three years older than me so she had to endure all the sober bickering and the divorce my parents went through when I was still too young to understand most of the mess we were all experiencing.

I took a quick shower and dressed rapidly because I had to make sure to purchase Brett’s ticket hoping they still had a few seats left. Little mishaps happened with Brett and I was used to them now. I accepted who he was and took the bad with the good a long time ago.

When I got to work I checked my messages then turned my back to my desk to enjoy my coffee without worrying about anything that could have gone wrong from the night before. In a business like this I was used to changes and corrections in details. It was just part of the job and hopefully I’ll get a few promotions that place me in a position where I’m the decision maker and not just someone doing what everyone else thought was too tedious to do. After I downed the last bit of my coffee I turned back around and picked up the phone dialing the airlines.

“Hello American Airlines, this is Wendy, how can we help you?” A friendly voice asked and I leaned forward resting my elbows on my desk.

“Hello this is William Carlson, I purchased a ticket last night and I was wondering if I could purchase a second one.”

“Hold please,” she said and I let out a sigh. I had a lot to do and only half a day to do it. “Ok, there is one seat available beside you sir, will that be ok?”

“Yes Wendy, thanks,” I said smiling and waited until she hung up the phone. Then I focused on my to do list trying to get it finished as quickly as I could. When the half-day was over I shut down my computer and put on my suit jacket satisfied with what I accomplished. Then I walked out of my office locking the door behind me. I hadn’t been given my bonus yet and that had me nervous. It would be the only way I was going to be able to pay for the tickets. The front secretary was on the phone, I usually gave her a wave before I headed out, but this time she waved me to her.

“Will, your bonus,” she said after putting the phone to her chest.

“I thought Ron would be sending this to me,” I said accepting the envelope protecting my bonus.

“Oh, he sent it here to me, he was running a little late,” she said, “I was also wondering if we could possibly hang out, you know, over dinner.”

“I’m sorry, Jess, but I have to go visit the parents this summer,” I said glad that I actually had plans. I had probably led her on by waving at her every time I left, but for once I was glad to have plans. I hated to reject someone’s invitations.

“Oh, ok, maybe later then,” she said sounding disappointed.

“Maybe,” I offered smiling as I turned and walked out of the door; then I went to the bank and had the bonus check cashed before driving home. Brett’s luggage was already outside when I pulled up. He had the front door open so I walked in to see him sitting on the couch watching television.

“How was work?” He asked turning off the television.

“Like always,” I answered shrugging, “I’m going to go pack up.”

“Okay,” he said then he got off the couch. I walked into the bedroom and bent down under the bed to retrieve my bags and tossed them on my bed to pack. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a few suits and tucked them away gently. Then I emptied the rest of my closet not knowing how long we actually planned on staying. They were taking the Yacht out so we were going to be trapped there with them. Something I hoped Brett was ready for.

After everything was packed and loaded into the small trunk of my car and in the back seat we were finally ready to go to the airport and that’s when I started getting nervous. It was hard to say how I would get along with them now. When I left them the first time it was more of an escape from getting everything I wanted. They also wanted me to go to Princeton. They both went to Oxford; it’s where they met. I ended up in Southern California though after making the decision without them knowing.

“You’re not your normal self,” I said noticing that Brett was equally as quiet.

“I’m meeting billionaires in a few fucking hours,” he said turning to look at me, “I’ll be lucky if I don’t shit my pants.”

“They’re just people,” I said shrugging, “weird, but people.”

“You’re nervous too,” he said and I glanced at him when we were stopped at a light. We had the top up so that we could keep our luggage safe and the air conditioning was refreshing, but it didn’t calm my nerves at all.

“They don’t know,” I said not completing the thought.

“That I’m coming?” He asked crossing his arms, “Will I not be welcome?”

“They won’t care about you being there,” I said smiling, “they’ll like you.”

“Then what the hell is it?” He asked and I closed my mouth not wanting to tell him.

“I haven’t told them about being gay,” I said leaning back in my seat slightly. The light was long, but we weren’t rushed for time. When it changed the traffic started again and I was worried when Brett hadn’t said anything.

“So, are you thinkin bout tellin them?” He asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

“Probably not,” I said and I heard him sigh.

“You know, being me is the best fun I can have,” he said sounding serious, “being yourself is the best fun you can have too.”

“I guess,” I said shaking my head, “they have expectations though.”

“How can they?” Brett asked, “They have everything at their fingertips.”

“Well my sister isn’t exactly a catch,” I said not liking the way we all talked about my sister.

“I’m sure someone will fancy her,” he said, “so they want grandchildren?”

“Yes, to continue the name,” I answered and he let out a small laugh.

“People are still worried about that shit?” He asked, “old fashioned don’t ya think?”

“You’ll meet them soon enough,” I said, “maybe a little too soon.”

“Everyone’s parents are nutty,” he said, “normal parents suck anyway, they’re no fun.” We both laughed then got silent when we finally arrived at the airport. We had help with our bags then we got in line to receive our tickets. When all of the loose ends were tied we were finally sitting on the plane waiting for take off. I had noticed Brett looking around and when he turned to look at me he smiled awkwardly.

“First time flying?” I asked buckling my seatbelt.

“This is going to be awesome isn’t it?” He said buckling himself in as well.

“Taking off and landing is the worst,” I answered then the captain told us to prepare for lift off. The buckle up signs started flashing and I heard the sound of everyone else buckling up. I had the window seat and Brett was sitting beside me. There was a third seat beside him, but it was open.

When the plane started moving I saw Brett leaning over me to look out the window. He hadn’t shaved yet and his hair was sticking up in odd places. He had on a white sleeveless muscle shirt and a pair of khaki shorts. We were an odd pair and we caught a few stares from time to time. When the plane lifted off the ground Brett’s eyes widened then he turned and looked at me.

“I bet landing is so much better,” he said sounding like a kid.

“Only you will probably enjoy landings,” I said and he leaned back, “so what happened with Marc?”

“He finished the beer and got tired of the Xbox,” Brett answered taking off his seatbelt when the light went off. I did the same stretching out in the space that I had.

“Then you had sex?” I asked lowering my voice.

“Nah, he went home after that,” he said grinning, “I think he wanted it though.”

“So you didn’t…”

“No, I was a good boy,” he said then he closed his eyes, “I just wish I hadn’t fucked up again.”

“Everyone does here and there,” I said leaning my head back and closing my eyes as well.

“Not you,” he said, “my best friend is Mr. Perfect, and how in the fuck did that happen?”

“Oh, I think you said last night, that you saved me from permanently having my head stuck up my ass,” I answered and I heard Brett burst out laughing. When I opened my eyes I saw the flight attendant holding up her hand. I could tell she was about to talk, but I had messed that up.

“Um, I’m LeeAnn, I’ll be the flight attendant for this trip can I get you anything?” LeeAnn said her smile returning and I could feel my face getting hot.

“Um, no, we’re good,” Brett, answered when I didn’t say anything. Then we had a starting contest until she was a few rows down.

“Why didn’t you tap me or something?” I asked and he smirked.

“I get my kicks where ever I can,” he answered and I elbowed him in the stomach. I turned my head then and closed my eyes again. A few minutes later I felt something rest on my shoulder and when I opened my eyes to look I saw that Brett had fallen asleep. The ride was quiet and the sun was out. We didn’t expect to run into any bad weather or delays on the way so I closed my eyes and fell asleep as well.

“Hey Will wake your ass up,” Brett said then I felt him shaking me awake.

“We landing?” I asked opening my eyes and straightening up in the seat.

“Yeah so put your seatbelt on,” he answered and I reached down and buckled myself in. LeeAnn was standing on the other side of him and when I looked out the window I could see that they sun was completely set.

“I didn’t think it was going to be this long of a trip,” I said yawning.

“We’re on the east coast now, it’s late,” Brett said then LeeAnn finished checking to see if everyone was buckled up. Then she buckled herself into her seat in the front of our section and the plane started descending. I don’t think anyone really gets used to a plane landing. I looked down and saw that my hands were clenched to the armrests. Brett was leaning over me again looking out the window and when the wheels in the ground the plane jarring slightly he let out a sigh.

“Not awesome enough?” I asked waiting for permission to stand up.

“No,” he answered sitting back in his seat.

“Well maybe next time we can crash,” I said rolling my eyes, “also the surfing isn’t all that hot where we’re going.”

“What?” He asked looking surprised, “how long are we stayin?”

“I don’t know,” I said then when we were free to exit the plane Brett stood then let me out. We filed out of the plane and entered the front lobby where the bags were starting to cycle through. When we had them all in order I looked around. I didn’t expect there to be someone waiting, but when I saw my name on a sign I walked to it with Brett following me.

“Which of you is William Carlson?” The man asked looking us both over.

“I am, but this is my friend Brett, he’s coming with me,” I answered.

“Alright, let the gentlemen carry your bags out to the limo,” he said offering us both a quick smile before turning around and walking towards the exits. The bags were taken away from us and we followed them out to the limo.

“Your parent’s rock,” Brett said sliding into the limo. I got in and he scooted to the other side.

“They like to make a statement,” I said shrugging.

“What’s the matter?” Brett asked and I turned my head and looked at him.

“I’m meeting my parents for the first time in six years, Brett,” I said and raised his left eyebrow. I didn’t really want Brett to see my family. I’ve told him stories, but now he’ll be getting their live show.

“Just walk in and give your momma a kiss on the cheek, shake your dad’s hand then grow some balls,” Brett said smacking me on the shoulder. When the limo took off he rolled down the window and took in the sights. The cooler Miami breeze was refreshing. It wasn’t as diverse or grand as our southern California city. I wondered if Brett would just be bored sitting on a Yacht with people he didn’t even know.

“We’re not going to stay longer than what we have to,” I said, “so you won’t be suffering from surfer’s withdrawal.”

“Stay as long as you want Will,” Brett said, “I think we’re here anyway.” The limo slowed down then came to the gate. It was the same gate that I drove through six years ago and when we got to the house Brett sucked in a breath then let out a long slow whistle.

“Yeah, it’s nice isn’t it?” I said then we opened our doors when the limo came to a stop. I walked over to his side of the limo and looked at the house myself. Every light looked to be on and when the large front doors opened my mom’s little dogs rushed out barking at us and Brett walked up to them and bent down letting them sniff his fingers.

“Well look, Peanut is still alive,” I said when a fat gray faced pug waddled out onto the marble porch. He didn’t come down the steps and I walked up them and scratched him in between his ears before looking at my parents standing in the doorframe. Brett joined me at the top of the steps and I saw them both studying them.

“Hi,” I said trying to keep my voice from sounding shaky.

“Hi son,” Dad said then Mom suddenly rushed forward closing the distance between us.

“Oh, my little boy has finally come home to see me!” She screeched slamming against me wrapping her arms around my neck. She kissed both of my cheeks a couple of times before I grabbed her shoulders and gently pushed her backwards.

“Hi Mom,” I said offering her a smile, “this is Brett.”

“The same Brett that got you into trouble and almost kicked out of college?” Mom asked shooting a glare at him.

“Now Mom, that was four years ago,” I said keeping hold of her shoulders.

“She knows about that?” Brett asked and I turned my head.

“Well someone had to send the bail money,” I said laughing at the way Brett was looking at me.

“I certainly won’t forgive my friend if they were high and then mooned a police officer on a motorcycle,” Mom said turning to look at me.

“Mom, I was high too,” I said blushing slightly, “if he was driving it would have been my ass hanging out the window.”

“I thought boarding school raised you better than that,” she said shaking her head, “well come on in we leave for the Yacht tomorrow morning.”

“Is Kat here?” I asked following them into the house.

“Yes, she’s in her room,” Mom said, “sleeping.”

“Ok,” I said and Dad patted me on the shoulder when I walked by. Neither of them introduced themselves to Brett, but he didn’t seem to care. He was looking over the house. It was a restored plantation house. The butlers carried up our bags as I showed Brett my room.

“So this is where you grew up,” he said looking around.

“No, I grew up in boarding school, this is where I spent Christmas,” I said sitting on my bed. Mom had the room redecorated since I left. It looked more like a museum dedicated to me now. It had a lot of my old clothes and toys in it and I watched as Brett walked around the room studying everything. He grabbed the teddy bear that I slept with all my life and showed it to me.

“Your parents are worth a lot and you keep this?” He asked tossing it to me. It had lost an eye and Peanut had used it for his chew toy a few times too. A lot of the stuffing from the inside was gone and it had been stitched up a few times.

“It was my first best friend,” I answered smiling, “and I don’t get rid of friends, even if they’re a little rough.”

“Aww,” he said rolling his eyes, “Willy likes me.”

“Yeah, today I do I guess, I don’t know about tomorrow though,” I said laughing, “want to meet Kathryn I’m going to wake her ass up.”

“Ok,” he said his eyes widening, “if you think it’s ok to wake up the beast.”

“Shut up,” I hissed, “she’ll hate me if she knew I didn’t kick your ass for everything you said about her.”

“Fine, I’ll be nice,” he said then I stood and he followed me out the door and down the hall. When I knocked on the door I didn’t hear anything so I turned the handle and opened the door.

“Kat, are you awake?” I asked then jumped back when the light in the room came on. I heard Brett’s footsteps running down the hall and when I turned my head he was just entering my room.

“What the hell is wrong with your friend?” Came a voice behind the door.

“Kat, you probably scared the hell out of him,” I said walking into the room, “why are you hiding behind the door?”

“I have a surprise; close your eyes,” she said, “no peeking.”

“Ok,” I said not liking this, I wasn’t in the mood to be tricked, “tell me when to open them.” I heard the door close behind me and her footsteps walked around to the front of where I was standing.

“Ok, open them,” she said and I opened them my mouth dropping.

“Kat!” I screeched, “What the hell happened?”

“I got a nose job, lost a hundred pounds, breast implants, my eye brows separated and a tan,” she said smiling, “do you like?”

“Are you happy with yourself?” I asked not sure if I liked that she changed herself this drastically. It was like looking at a complete stranger with Kathryn’s soft voice.

“I am,” she answered frowning, “I’m finally happy.”

“Then I like it,” I said smiling. She walked up and hugged me. Then a knock came to the door and it opened slightly.

“Will are you ok?” Brett asked not opening the door any further. Kat and I looked at one another then started laughing. He pushed the door open and studied us for a few seconds. “Where’s she at?”

“Who?” I asked turning to face him, standing beside Kat.

“Kathryn,” he answered crossing his arms, did you have a different sister you didn’t tell me about?”

“Hi Brett, I’m Kathryn, call me Kat,” she said holding out her hand. When he shook her hand he looked at me scrunching up his face.

“How much did all that cost?” He asked and I wanted to slap the hell out of him for asking a question like that.

“You’ll have to ask Mom,” she said, “she paid for it.”

“Mom paid for this?” I asked crossing my arms, “she didn’t make you did she?”

“No,” Kat answered crossing her arms, “I came home and asked her to pay for what I wanted done.”

“Ok,” I said, “well we’ll see you in the morning, it’s late and I’m tired.”

“Ok, love you Will,” she said kissing me on the cheek. It was something she never done before and I found myself smiling. She was finally confident, but I didn’t like that she had to get all of that work done to be happy. Knowing that most of her self-consciousness came from Mom, Dad, and me made it worse.

“Nice meeting you Kat,” Brett said then he followed me out of Kat’s room.

“So are you officially back on the fence?” I asked as we were entering my room.

“Hell fucking yeah,” he said causing me to laugh. I didn’t really know what Brett’s sexuality was. Some days he’s straight, others he’s bi, and then gay. I know that he’s been sexually active with both sexes though and had dated both as well. All of it just added to who he was.

“Want to share a bed?” I asked looking at the king size bed in the middle of the room. It was a large canopy bed with my forest green sheets on it.

“Yeah,” he said and we both stripped down to our underwear and got into bed and I wondered how this summer was going to be.

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Not meeting your family in six years is a long time and the family seems...interesting or should I say odd. Wonder if they´ll be better with time. At least it looks like Brett and Will are into a interesting summer.

Link to comment

 

American Airlines would have answered their telephone: "This is Wendy, how may we help you." at least if she were trained in telephone procedure.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..