Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 2,216 Words
  • 2,852 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Precious Teahouse - 3. Chapter 3

The effect of tea is cooling.
As a drink, it suits very well

Persons of self-restraint and good conduct,
When … depressed …
One should drink tea only….”
Lu Yu, Ch’a Ching, 780

Four

San Meor followed a silent Ziyu back to the Precious Teahouse. Ziyu hadn’t said much after he’d made his proposal. He figured it was because of the hard time the younger man had experienced in the bank. Matters of money were more tiring than a day spent digging the ground in a farm. He could only imagine the turmoil Ziyu was going through.

Walking beside Ziyu, he took the opportunity to study the younger man. Ziyu was deep in thought, his face set in a far off expression. Even in deep thought, he realized he truly liked being in Ziyu’s company. It was calming, like his tea, Ziyu brought peace to him.

He thought about the tea house he’d visited after leaving the Precious Teahouse. It had been as ancient as the Precious Teahouse was, but lacking in charm and fresh atmosphere. Ziyu was a calming host, while the lady he’d met the night before had made him grit his teeth with irritation. Unlike Ziyu, the young woman had recognized the value of his tea. She’d spent the thirty minutes he’d spent in her company asking where he’d gotten the Pu’er, and if he could supply her tea house.

Great business woman, San thought with a sigh, terrible host and tea master. He’d left her tea house feeling exhausted. She’d made the decision for him, he thought now as he strolled beside Ziyu.

“You didn’t say anything to my proposal.” San bumped his shoulder with his. “You’re lost in your thoughts. I hope this is not how you walk on the streets.”

Ziyu sighed. “Why would you offer to help me? What is in it for you?”

“Can’t you trust me on face value?” San said and Ziyu stopped in the middle of the street to glare at him. He smiled and lifted his hands in apology. “I’m sorry; this is not the time to beat around the bush.”

“I’m facing the worst, since my parents died.” Ziyu narrowed his gaze at him. “I’ve contemplated visiting a loan shark to save the Teahouse, but haven’t. You know why? Because I figure living is better than running from those horrible people for the rest of my life. Then here you are, dangling a carrot to a starving rabbit. It’s not fair to make such declarations to a desperate man.”

“And what kind of declarations should be given to a man?” San asked charmed by Ziyu’s angry face. He’d never met anyone this passionate …well…maybe his father. His father was passionate about his tea plants. They were treated like children, always pampered and looked after.

Ziyu looked around the street shaking his head. “Why did you really come to the Teahouse yesterday?”

“I was dangling a carrot to a starving rabbit,” San replied slipping his hands into his trousers pockets.

“Start making sense before I hit you in frustration San Meor. I don’t have time for cryptic remarks,” Ziyu warned, his brown eyes sparking rage.

San inclined his head in apology. “Very well, I’ll tell you my story.”

“How long is it?” Ziyu demanded glancing at his watch. “I’ve only got until we reach the Teahouse. If you don’t make sense by then, I’m going to insist you leave me alone.”

“Suspicious much,” San said with a raised brow. Ziyu glared at him and he sighed. “Alright, you drive a hard bargain.”

“Get talking,” Ziyu said as he started walking toward the Teahouse again.

San placed a hand on Ziyu's shoulder. “You’re going to have to slow down. I can’t keep up with your race and tell you the story, Ziyu.”

He hid a laugh when Ziyu gave an exasperated sigh and then slowed down. He was right about Ziyu, he decided. If the business didn’t grow as his father predicted, they’d at least have a good time together.

Ziyu glanced at him expectantly and he cleared his throat.

“Fine, as you know my father is Dahari Meor. He and your father were the best of friends when they were boys. Those days, my father’s parents lived here in the city of Hanou. Dahari and Tao Yin went to school together and played afterwards at your family’s teahouse. When my father turned fifteen, his parents decided to move back to Yunan to live with the family. Dahari knew it would take time before he was able to return to Hanou, so he and your father made a promise.”

Ziyu turned to look at him. “I read my father’s letters last night. I didn’t think much of that promise, but-

“My father promised to bring your father the best Pu’er tea he could grow. Tao Yin promised my father tea soup painting.” San nodded with a small smile. “Yes, my father believes in that promise, Ziyu. That is why he sent me to your Teahouse. But, I’m not done with my tale.”

San sighed, thinking of his arguments with his father a few months ago. Cars moved sedately on the street, he marveled at the small town and how quiet it seemed. He preferred this town than the Capital. Even the shops were charming, he thought as they passed a busy flower shop. He could imagine living here, and walking down the street with Ziyu by his side.

“My father spent years on the family farm constantly trying to get the right blend of tea. There is a lot of competition in Yunan as you well know. Each farm hopes to keep their secrets of tea growing. So much so that my father got consumed by his goal, he never had time for his family. His first concerns were always for the farm. When I finished high school and told my father I wanted to go to college, he got very upset with me. He wanted me to join him on the farm and continue the legacy, but I’m not a farmer. My passion lies in business.”

“We had a terrible argument, but my mother managed to convince him to let me go. I spent four years away at school and when I returned, I had very many ideas of selling father’s tea. He allowed me to market the daily farm yields, but one day when I visited the factory stores, I found one he kept locked. When I insisted on finding out what was in the room, he produced one of the boxes I gave you yesterday.”

“The Pu’er tea,” Ziyu said quietly.

“Yes. My father had perfected the process before I went to college. When I insisted on leaving he thought I was never going to return to the farm. So, he never told me about the Pu’er tea. When I asked why he was keeping it locked away, he sent me to find the Precious Teahouse and keep his promise to Tao Yin. Angry with him, I told him before I found the Precious Teahouse; I’d visit all the tea houses I could and offer them the chance to try out the tea. The one that served me the best would be the one I’d choose to sell the Pu’er tea.”

Ziyu stopped. They were a few feet away from the Precious Teahouse and San could see a few customers seated on the tables outside. It was a lovely afternoon to enjoy tea outside, he decided. Maybe after this he’d convince Ziyu to sit with him.

“So, you were testing me yesterday,” Ziyu said turning to look at him with a blank expression.

“Of all the tea houses I visited, you were the only one who didn’t ask if you could get more. I always left the other tea houses feeling exhausted. But, it was different when I left the Precious Teahouse. You were so charming,” San said with a smile.

Ziyu frowned. “I gave you the courtesy I would have given to your father, San.”

“As I’ve said before, your strongest point, Ziyu, is your sentiment. You’re holding on to the Teahouse not because it’s bringing you money but because of its history. I bet all your employees are hired according to sentiment too. Like Chen who was helped by your mother and who you feel responsible for. You served me tea like you would an old friend. Your emotions rule your judgment which is good, but, it is also your weakness. You have no sense of business.”

“What?” Ziyu glared at him. “I don’t have to listen to you, San Meor. Thank you for a detailed tale about nothing. I don’t need you-

“Stop yelling,” San ordered. He stepped closer and placed his hands on Ziyu’s shoulders. “I like you the way you are. I’m not trying to insult you.”

“Like me?” Ziyu demanded. “We only met yesterday.”

“I feel a strong connection to you, Ziyu. I have no idea why, but, you fascinate me.” San met Ziyu’s brown eyes and smiled. “I want to help you, can’t you just let me?”

“I have nothing to give back.” Ziyu shook his head, his eyes sad. “This should not be a one-sided bargain. I can’t allow you to help the Teahouse without giving something back.”

San studied Ziyu for a moment, the need to pull him into a comforting hug so strong. He cleared his throat and stepped back dropping his hands from Ziyu’s shoulders.

“Ziyu,” he said quietly.

“What now?” Ziyu asked staring at him warily. “I hope you’re not going to tell me another story.”

San chuckled. “If you let me live with you, I’ll help you.”

“No.” Ziyu turned and walked to the tea house.

San caught up with him at the door. “Fine, are you going in there to tell Chen she has to find a new job? Or even the rest of the staff, are you telling them you’re giving the tea house up?”

Ziyu frowned. “That’s not fair.”

“I’m offering you help, you won’t take it.”

“You’re the kind of guy who’ll go against his father’s long time wishes. How can I trust you?” Ziyu demanded with a hard glare. “Call me emotional, but I do know my father would want me to hold on to this place ‘til I die. Sure, the bank has given me little over a month, but I’m not giving up. I’m sure something will turn up. But you-,” Ziyu shook his head with disgust. “Go back to those teahouses you visited. Choose the one that makes you happy for your precious tea.”

Ziyu pushed the door open and entered the tea house with a wild jingling of bells. San cursed under his breath and followed him into the busy main floor.

“Ziyu,” he said his voice carrying. “Are you really going to walk away like this?”

The customers in the tea house all looked up and Ziyu stopped in shock. Looking around the room, he sighed and glanced at him with exasperation.

“I’m offering you a way to save the Precious Teahouse without going bankrupt or giving in to Dan Hao. Can you afford to give it up like this?”

*****

Ziyu gasped. What the hell was San doing? All the gossips in town were in the tea house. He could see Mrs. Yang in the corner her head craned higher to get a better view. Wincing, he glared at San and shook his head. He should have never agreed to listen to San Meor. In fact, he should have run in the opposite direction when they met on the street.

San placed his hands at his hips looking at him expectantly. Chen appeared at the kitchen door and he groaned. This was a disaster. Striding forward, he grabbed San’s arm and dragged him toward the staircase that led to the second floor.

He closed his eyes as murmurs started downstairs. This newest saga would be the talk of the town in an hour.

“Why did you do that? Why would you-

“It’s the only way to make you face reality.” San cut him off. He tugged on his hand and Ziyu let go as though he’d been burned. “You’re being irrational. Anyone would jump at my offer. It’s so easy.”

“I’m not anyone,” Ziyu said with a snarl. “And your offer is suspicious, who comes out of nowhere and insists on helping a stranger.”

“We’re not strangers. Our fathers were friends.” San countered with a raised brow. “You and I have destiny.”

“Destiny,” Ziyu scoffed. “Who’s being emotional now? What kind of business decision making is that?”

“The same kind you’ve been doing for the last few years. You’re good with tea, and bad at math, accept it.”

Ziyu gaped. “This is the reason why I can’t deal with you. Leave-

“I can’t, my father won’t let me back home until you accept my offer.” San confessed quietly. “I need you to say yes.”

“Now your father’s wishes matter,” Ziyu said with disgust. “You don’t know what you want, San Meor. Why should I trust you and your deal? How do I know in a month's time you're not going to walk out of here because the Precious Teahouse can't make enough money to pay you back?”

2013, Suilan Lee
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow I love the way the story is going. Ziyu is motivated by his emotions, as San says good emotions bad at math. San is supposedly motivated by business not so much emotions. But whether he realizes it or not he is being motivated by his emotions for Ziyu. Now if Ziyu just agrees with Sans suggestion. This story is proving very very interesting and I. Definitely can wait to continue reading to see what happens.. With these two working together the Precious Teahouse will be phenomenal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What the hell is Ziyu's problem? Why don't he accept this offer? I will kick his you know what if he declined this offer. I'm sure San is right; he and Ziyu have a density. I hope Ziyu would make the right decision and accept San's offer to save his tea-house which is actually full of sentiments. And guess what if he accepts his offer then they would be living together and then there would be lot of drama and romance and you know Sui I love that.

I enjoyed every bit of this chapter especially the whole conversation between Ziyu and San. I feel San is already falling for our emotional guy. Let's see when our emotional boy falls for business guy. I'm sure they would make a great couple. I can't wait for the next update, make it happen soon Sui.

Amazing work. Keep it up:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

San just jumped right in and is going after the teahouse and Ziyu. I guess if you are going to do something go whole heartedly. lol. Ziyu is suspicious and that is understandable, but San's offer is almost too good to let pass by. HOpefully Ziyu will come to or be talked to his senses. Great chapter! :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/08/2013 04:01 AM, Daithi said:
Wow I love the way the story is going. Ziyu is motivated by his emotions, as San says good emotions bad at math. San is supposedly motivated by business not so much emotions. But whether he realizes it or not he is being motivated by his emotions for Ziyu. Now if Ziyu just agrees with Sans suggestion. This story is proving very very interesting and I. Definitely can wait to continue reading to see what happens.. With these two working together the Precious Teahouse will be phenomenal.
Let's hope that my dear Ziyu will come around soon. Thank you so much for your review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/08/2013 06:58 PM, sacredlove said:
What the hell is Ziyu's problem? Why don't he accept this offer? I will kick his you know what if he declined this offer. I'm sure San is right; he and Ziyu have a density. I hope Ziyu would make the right decision and accept San's offer to save his tea-house which is actually full of sentiments. And guess what if he accepts his offer then they would be living together and then there would be lot of drama and romance and you know Sui I love that.

I enjoyed every bit of this chapter especially the whole conversation between Ziyu and San. I feel San is already falling for our emotional guy. Let's see when our emotional boy falls for business guy. I'm sure they would make a great couple. I can't wait for the next update, make it happen soon Sui.

Amazing work. Keep it up:)

Can't wait to see your reaction to the next chapter. Ziyu is a bit of a pain, coz he's a nervous cookie. I'm glad you loved the chapter, Sacred.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/09/2013 01:40 AM, joann414 said:
San just jumped right in and is going after the teahouse and Ziyu. I guess if you are going to do something go whole heartedly. lol. Ziyu is suspicious and that is understandable, but San's offer is almost too good to let pass by. HOpefully Ziyu will come to or be talked to his senses. Great chapter! :thumbup:
It seems to be the best motto these days, all in or nothing, hehe, Thanks Joann.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story. I love the the characters and the connection between them. I can almost see the sparks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2013 03:11 AM, harri39 said:
Great story. I love the the characters and the connection between them. I can almost see the sparks.
Thanks Harri, working on the next chapter right now actually. Look forward to it..:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I see things come to a head. It's about reality, and what that means. This one comes

with Destiny and Tradition added. That's a load to bear all at once for anyone.

But Ziyu knows that there is really no better option. Change must happen.

 

Change is disturbing, but there's no stopping it, -love either.

This is a lovely tale, the atmosphere is charming, and more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..