Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,430 Words
  • 3,525 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Precious Teahouse - 5. Chapter 5

Drink your tea slowly and reverently,

As if it is the axis

On which the world earth revolves – slowly,

Evenly, without rushing toward the future -

Thich Nhat Hanh

Vietnamese Zen Buddhist Master

 

Seven

Observe,” Ziyu said handing a package of fresh oolong tea leaves to San. “What do you see?”

“The leaves are dry enough,” San said.

They were seated at one of the back tables in the tea house dining room. The afternoon sun streamed on to their secluded table through the open windows. He’d spent the whole morning helping Ziyu sort through his stash of teas in the highly specialized store room. The Precious Teahouse had a stunning inventory of teas leaves; Ziyu collected them like a museum would artifacts.

Picking a pair of wooden tongs from the tray between them, he reached into the package and scooped out some leaves. He put them on his palm and shook them. He smiled when they rustled.

“Smell,” Ziyu said encouraging him to bring his palm up to his nose.

He met Ziyu’s gaze and did as he was asked. The leaves had a fresh fragrance, pure, without a charred taste or acidic smell. He lifted a brow at Ziyu and Ziyu frowned with concern.

“What do you think?” Ziyu asked, that intriguing frown dancing across his forehead.

“Natural aroma, very clean, no trace of staleness,” San said his tone low. Ziyu relaxed and he chuckled. “Why are you so worried?”

“I’m not worried.” Ziyu picked up the tea pot and opened the lid. “I’m trying to impress you with our stock, San. You’re making it very hard.”

San hid a smile and put the leaves in his palm into the teapot. Taking the tongs, he added more leaves from the package into Ziyu’s teapot. He liked this business about impressing.

Ziyu added water to the leaves and closed the lid on the teapot. “Why are you staring at me like that?”

“I’ve spent a whole month and a half trying to figure you out.” San confessed watching Ziyu rinse the tea leaves expertly. Taking Chen’s advice, he’d started studying the art of serving tea and learned the steps of gong fu cha. He loved watching Ziyu serve tea because it always so elegant. Ziyu emptied both their cups of the warming hot water and splashed them with the rinsing tea.

Ziyu smiled and San studied the curve of his lips. “What have you come up with after a month and a half?”

San dragged his eyes away from Ziyu’s smile and met amused dark eyes. He was glad to see the sadness in their depths was gone now. Their friendship had grown, forged and nurtured by living together, trips to the market, sitting with suppliers and tea tasting in different factories around the city. The best part about that small list being the living with Ziyu part, he was even starting to love Cha the cat.

San sat back in his seat. “I don’t have a clear picture yet. I learn a new thing about you every day.”

“A new thing,” Ziyu said adding more water into the tea pot. “What did you learn today?”

“The museum curators should hire you.” San told him with a grin. “I don’t think you ever have to worry about not having tea leaves in this Teahouse.”

Ziyu laughed and poured him tea into his cup. “Drink your oolong tea, San.”

“It’s the truth,” San said. The tea in his cup was golden; he brought the cup to his lips enjoying the fresh mellow fragrance. Taking a sip, he closed his eyes as the flavor swirled around his mouth. He swallowed and immediately wanted more. The tea had a long lasting flavor. He opened his eyes and met Ziyu’s gaze. Like the tea, San thought, spending time with Ziyu was something he wanted to make long lasting.

Ziyu was his adventure.

Ziyu cleared his throat and broke their gaze. “Do you want me to tell you a tale?”

There was another thing he’d learned. Ziyu always had a story for his guests. It was Ziyu’s way of connecting with his customers. San shook his head and placed his cup on the table.

“How about I tell you a tale today?” San insisted and took pleasure in watching Ziyu’s wide eyed surprise. “Do you think I can tell one as good as you can?”

Ziyu poured him more tea and shook his head. “I don’t know. Maybe that will be the new thing I learn about you today.”

“Are you learning new things about me too?” San asked hopeful.

“Maybe,” Ziyu smiled and picked up his tea cup.

“Fine,” San said with a small smile. “My father told me this story when I was young and hated going to the farm to pick tea. Legend is a boy named Wu Long was born into a family of tea farmers. Growing up, he was very lazy and preferred to run off and have fun instead of pick tea. His family would come home with baskets full of tea, but his basket would always be empty when he came home. So his father got very angry one day and told the boy that if he didn’t come with a full basket of tea leaves, he would be punished.”

“The next day, Wu Long woke very early and headed to the fields. He collected tea leaves and filled his basket quickly. But, when he was on his way home, he saw a rabbit and ran after it completely forgetting about the basket of tea leaves on his back. Tea leaves are pretty light, so when he ran, he lost about half of his tea leaves. Sadly, the rabbit managed to escape him and Wu Long ended up returning home late with a half empty basket. His father was too angry to punish him so he told him to go to bed they’d talk the next day.”

“How unlucky for Wu Long,” Ziyu said.

“Not so unlucky,” San assured him. “You see, the tea processors took his basket of tea leaves for processing. They came back the next day early in the morning just as the father was getting ready to punish his son. They wanted to know where the boy had picked the leaves because the tea they’d made from his tea leaves was amazing. He said they were from the same trees that they normally picked from. It turned out that while running, the leaves got bruised on the edges, which gave the tea a fantastic taste and aroma. The villagers figured out how to reproduce the bruising and the tea is still processed the same way today. That is why this tea is called Wulong, or Oolong Tea.”

Ziyu shook his head in amusement. “So Wu Long discovered Oolong tea by mistake.”

San grinned and Ziyu laughed. “I bet you used to be that boy running off to have fun instead of helping your parents pick tea from the farm.”

San put on an innocent expression and sipped his tea. “I was a very obedient boy, Master Ziyu.”

“I don’t think your father would have told you that story if you weren’t as naughty as Wu Long. Where did you run off to?”

San shrugged. “I had a childhood friend in the neighboring farm. We rode horses into the surrounding forests and spent our afternoons at the river swimming.”

“Sounds like a lot of fun,” Ziyu mused.

“Not so fun when I got home and found father waiting in the living room with a very scary expression.”

“I can just imagine,” Ziyu said with a smile. “I’d love to meet your father. He sounds like an interesting man.”

San nodded. “He wants to meet you too. One of the coming Sundays, you must promise to come with me to visit him.”

“That would be a lovely trip. I’d love to see where you grew up, and your tea farm.”

San reached for the package of oolong tea. Closing the package to preserve the leaves, he smiled. “I have a question.”

Ziyu drained the tea leaves in the tea pot and poured them a last cup of tea. “Shoot.”

“Why don’t you offer some of those teas in your store to the customers? Most tea drinkers love the taste but fear buying tea leaves out there because of getting fake tea leaves or bad quality. If the Precious Teahouse offered tea leaves, customers would definitely love it. Buying tea leaves from an authentic tea house means that they’re guaranteed quality. You’d make a great profit.”

Ziyu studied him for a moment. “I’ve always felt a tea house branching off into retail would make it seem strange. We focus on tea brewing and service to customers.”

“I don’t think it’s strange, Ziyu. You have treasure locked away in your storage room. Even if you told yourself that all those high end teas would end up on your menu, you’d still have money tied up in a store room. Share your tea culture with your customers.”

Ziyu narrowed his gaze. “And where would you suggest we put the tea shop? I’m not changing the dining room.”

The habits that Chen had been talking about rearing their heads, San thought.

“Finding space for the tea shop is not the problem here. You not wanting change is, and I’d like to point out that’s the reason why Chacha Coffee house is taking over your customer base. You have to evolve, Ziyu.”

“I thought the best thing about us was our tradition and history.”

“Tradition and history can be wrapped in new packages and still remain old and loved. It’s not like you have to go out and start looking for the product. You’re changing how you sell the old product and reaching a wider net of customers. Different options, like training the ordinary person out there how to appreciate tea at home. Don’t you see the opportunity here?”

Ziyu sighed. “I’m not being difficult; it’s just hard to change how we do things. I’m torn between keeping things as they used to be and-

“Change comes whether we like it or not. Ziyu, I see you and I’m awed by your love for what you do everyday. You’re passionate about this place, and I find that inspiring. I can’t help thinking there are other people out there who share your love. Wouldn’t it be awesome to meet some of them?”

Ziyu smiled. “Your father must have had a hell of a time when you decided to take over the tea business.”

“I don’t back down. Cave in already, Jade is going to fall over that screen if she stands there any longer.”

Ziyu turned in time to see Jade gasp and rush off, the whisper of her blue skirts hard to miss. Nothing remained secret in the tea house. No matter how hard one tried to whisper, there was always someone listening in the wall, at the door, by the window.

“We’d have to come up with packaging,” Ziyu said turning to look at him. “As for space, I hate to change the dining room.”

San reached out and took Ziyu’s hand. “You won’t have to change the dining room. We can work with the counter where Jade gives orders to Chen.”

Ziyu frowned, his gaze falling to their clasped hands. San refused to move his hand, his thumb gently caressing Ziyu’s palm. He watched and waited…hoping…Ziyu turned his hand over and tangled their fingers tightly. San felt his heart turn over at the small victory.

“I’ll have to run this by the rest,” Ziyu said quietly. “Include them in the changes.”

“Of course,” San said.

Ziyu stared at him for a moment, their fingers still tangled. He smiled slightly and stood up. “I need to get ready. I have an important dinner party to host later.”

San let go of Ziyu’s hand and sat back. “Go ahead, I’ll clear the tray and return the tea leaves to the store.”

*****

Changes, Ziyu thought as he served gong fu cha to the group of tourists who’d requested the tea ceremony a week ago. He smiled as his guests passed the package of green tea he’d found especially for them to each other. It was always best to start new tea drinkers with a mild sweet taste. They asked questions, he answered them patiently.

His thoughts firmly on San and his ideas, so many ideas, taking over his thoughts, he bit his lip. He’d thought about a tea shop before, but imagining his parents and how hard they’d worked to keep the tea house free of retail. Wouldn’t he be breaking their hearts?

He served the tea and invited his ten guests to drink.

Wasn’t San taking on too much? He chewed on his lower lip and frowned.

“Well, he has been right about everything else,” he murmured to himself.

The tourists were San’s idea. He was surprised the idea had taken life so quickly. Offering tourists in Hanou the chance to be served tea in the old way, his calendar was booked up for three months. Chen, Jade and Lee were starting to associate San with Midas.

The day before he’d found San talking to Chen about making her recipes part of the menu. He’d asked her to think about running a fully staffed kitchen. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner like a restaurant. The only difference would be that they’d concentrate on tea dishes like the tea smoked duck she loved to make.

Chen had promised to think about it, but in truth, she was deferring the decision to him. He knew she’d love a chance to show off her culinary skills, but that would mean adding staff.

More changes, he thought sullenly.

Ever since San had shown up at the Teahouse, they seemed to be spinning on a non stop roller coaster. Hurtling through time toward a future he couldn’t see. Thanking his guests for visiting him, he watched them shuffle out of the upstairs tea room and sat back in his seat staring into the wet green tea leaves he’d used.

He remembered how gently San had held his hand today. San with his elegant demeanor, graceful manners and warm personality was winning over his entire staff. He was slowly moving through the Teahouse like a warm breeze in spring coaxing flowers from the ground. Sinking into his heart, Ziyu thought with a pang. The fear San kept accusing him of had nothing to do with hating change.

No, change was inevitable; he knew that better than anyone. But watching San come into their lives, become part of the house and then watch him walk away when his time was done. Ziyu closed his eyes.

That was his fear, losing San, like his sister had chosen to leave and go to the capital. Like he’d lost his parents to a wild road accident, he bit his lower lip. He might be over reacting to the situation, but this afternoon, San’s touch had felt right. He knew he couldn’t resist it much longer, but-

“Ziyu,” Jade cut into his thoughts and he glanced up to find her standing at the doorway. “Time to close, Lee and I are leaving.”

He nodded. “Thanks Jade.”

“Are you alright?”

He stood and stretched his arms above his head. “I’m good, Jade. Have a good night.”

“Good, maybe we can talk about that shop you and San are planning tomorrow.” Jade’s eyes were wide with excitement when he glanced at her. “It sounds like a lot of fun. I made a few drawings for the packaging.”

Ziyu smiled. “I can’t wait to see them. Go on home now, Jade.”

“Alright,” she said returning his smile. “Good night, Ziyu.”

She hurried away and he was left clearing the dishes he’d used with the tourists. He made sure the tea room was neat and stepped into the hallway just as the lights were turned off downstairs. Chen appeared at the bottom of the stairs to wave goodnight. She hurried out and he waited listening as she locked the front door with her key.

Satisfied the ground floor was secure, he headed upstairs to the apartment. Cha greeted him at the door although she didn’t meow. She’d obviously been fed, he thought with a smile. He picked her up and sunk his fingers into her fur. She purred in bliss.

“You look tired,” San said as he closed the door.

His gaze fell on San who was reclined on the couch watching business news on the television. He looked comfortable in sweats and a t-shirt. One of the couch pillows tucked under his head. Ziyu stared at the space left beside San and wondered what the other man would say if he were to curl up.

He cleared his throat. “You’re still up.”

“I wanted to see you before you went to bed.” San sat up and beckoned him to sit beside him. “Come on, you look dead on your feet.”

Ziyu sighed and carried Cha with him to the couch. “I don’t think I gave those tourists the best service at all. I smiled and answered questions, but-

“Don’t think about it.” San closed the distance between them and massaged his shoulders. “You’re so tense.”

Ziyu closed his eyes as San’s strong fingers dug into his tight muscles making him moan softly. “Mm…it’s been so long since anyone did that for me.”

“All you have to do is ask,” San murmured.

Ziyu leaned back into San, his fingers combing through Cha’s fur. San mirrored his gesture, running fingers through his hair. Ziyu gave in to the comfort.

*****

Days turned into weeks, the Precious Teahouse blossomed. The tea shop, with Jade at its helm grew and flourished. Ziyu enjoyed the challenge of filling the rare tea orders placed by their customers. Chen delighted him in the kitchen, creating new recipes, using tea in her food. Lee opened up, following San around, most especially when he went on major buying trips. San realized that Lee had a knack for business.

Three months into his stay at the Precious Teahouse, San loved the time he spent in Ziyu’s company the most. Their relationship, he thought as he sat out in the garden enjoying the Sunday afternoon. Like aging the Pu’er Tea his father loved so much, they’d started fresh and shy. Hugs and simple gestures, he mused. He found peace sitting with Ziyu in his arms on the couch late at night, the cat purring at their feet. He loved watching Ziyu sleep, or simply doing the teahouse books at the dining table.

He’d come to love helping Ziyu serve tea to guests, going with him to the market to get fresh produce for Chen. Fighting with him over prices and how much cheaper they’d get them straight from the farmers. He smiled remembering a silly argument about soap and towels on the floor in the bathroom. Ziyu was a spontaneous cleaner. He could go for a week letting things go, until one morning he’ll wake with an itch to clean. The first time it had happened San had been caught unawares by the tide.

He’d woken up to find Ziyu scrubbing their bathroom furiously muttering about towels left unfolded on the rail. Next had been the living room, and the books San left on the coffee table. The cleaning spree had gone on to the kitchen, which had included a complete cupboard rearrangement. He’d run away from the tide and gone to hide with Chen downstairs. Miraculously, that afternoon, Ziyu had appeared all smiles and blushes ready for lunch.

He chuckled. Like the Pu’er, he decided, their relationship was aging beautifully.

Was it any wonder he was madly in love with the man?

“San,” Ziyu said his name and he glanced up to find the younger man standing before him. “What are you smiling about?”

San tugged on Ziyu’s arm pulling him onto his lap. Ziyu blushed and allowed it. San reached up, sinking his fingers into Ziyu’s hair, loving the soft texture. Gently, he brought Ziyu’s head down. Studying Ziyu’s slightly parted lips; he closed his eyes and pressed his lips to Ziyu’s. Kissing him gently, slowly, reverently, letting him know how much he mattered.

He broke the kiss and looked up into Ziyu’s brown eyes smiling slightly. His heart squeezed in surprise when Ziyu responded by wrapping his arms around his neck and leaning down to kiss him hungrily, so passionately, it seemed their waiting period was over.

span>Oolong - the Oo is like the one in boot
Wulong - the Wu is like saying woo
Gong fu cha - tea with great skill
2013, Suilan Lee
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, this chapter is so cute. Everything is going so well. What will rock the characters next? Will San's father like Ziyu? How will they guarantee high quality tea when sold? I can't wait for more tea stories~!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

San and Ziyu's relationship is like push and pull of a gentle stream. San has found his rhythm in the Teahouse. Can't wait to see the next chapter and see if Ziyu flows ahead or kinda eddies around not sure if he want to go forward with San.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I love how your are moving their relationship along at a slow and gentle pace. It makes it more believable. Looks like change will bring prosperity. Can't wait for the next chapter girl! :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hey Sui, you know my parents love tea but I'm not a big fan of tea. Yesterday I was preparing tea for them so out of the blue I decided to have a cup of it for myself. I have tasted tea after a year or so and strangely I loved it as I was smiling the whole time while enjoying that tea as I was thinking about your story, Ziyu and San. It felt nice.

Okay back to the review, I loved the pace of this chapter. You showed very beautifully how relationship between San and Ziyu is brewing. San's ideas for the teahouse were really good. Story of Wu Long was interesting. And of course the kiss at the end was the cherry on the cake. This story is full of honesty and emotions and you are very good at it. I will wait for the next chapter. Great work, Sui :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It seems that San has found his place at the teahouse, and has settled in upstairs

as well. Will he leave? I think not for long. I'm waiting for the time when Ziyu goes

with San to meet San's father. Those two should meet.

 

It's quite a lovely story so far, and I've been enjoying it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/22/2013 06:57 AM, vinnyvin said:
Oh, this chapter is so cute. Everything is going so well. What will rock the characters next? Will San's father like Ziyu? How will they guarantee high quality tea when sold? I can't wait for more tea stories~!
More tea stories coming up, :) I'll plot away this week and see what happens. Thanks for the review.
Link to comment
On 04/22/2013 07:40 AM, Daithi said:
San and Ziyu's relationship is like push and pull of a gentle stream. San has found his rhythm in the Teahouse. Can't wait to see the next chapter and see if Ziyu flows ahead or kinda eddies around not sure if he want to go forward with San.
I like that...gentle stream...made me smile. Thanks Daithi, look forward to more.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 12:05 AM, joann414 said:
I love how your are moving their relationship along at a slow and gentle pace. It makes it more believable. Looks like change will bring prosperity. Can't wait for the next chapter girl! :2thumbs:
Thank you, Joann. I'm glad it feels real, hoping the next chapter pushes them further along though and add some more prosperity. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 01:01 AM, sacredlove said:
Hey Sui, you know my parents love tea but I'm not a big fan of tea. Yesterday I was preparing tea for them so out of the blue I decided to have a cup of it for myself. I have tasted tea after a year or so and strangely I loved it as I was smiling the whole time while enjoying that tea as I was thinking about your story, Ziyu and San. It felt nice.

Okay back to the review, I loved the pace of this chapter. You showed very beautifully how relationship between San and Ziyu is brewing. San's ideas for the teahouse were really good. Story of Wu Long was interesting. And of course the kiss at the end was the cherry on the cake. This story is full of honesty and emotions and you are very good at it. I will wait for the next chapter. Great work, Sui :2thumbs:

I want a cup of tea, ;) that sounded like an awesome moment. Thanks for the review, its certainly a new kind of story than the other one. It's so much fun to write with the quotes in mind. hehe. Look forward to more.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 05:37 AM, Stephen said:
It seems that San has found his place at the teahouse, and has settled in upstairs

as well. Will he leave? I think not for long. I'm waiting for the time when Ziyu goes

with San to meet San's father. Those two should meet.

 

It's quite a lovely story so far, and I've been enjoying it.

Leave he must, if I should be asked...:) Although tea master Ziyu might change his mind...you never know. Thanks for the review Stephen, glad you're enjoying it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..