Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,023 Words
  • 3,234 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Precious Teahouse - 4. Chapter 4

Tea...

Is a religion

Of the art of life
Okakura Kakuzo (1863-1913)

Japanese scholar

Five

“Ziyu,” San said quietly.

He was shocked by his own reaction downstairs. Ziyu was bringing out a side in him he didn’t understand.

“I’d ask you to leave, but,” Ziyu peeped over the rail and shuddered.

San moved closer to the balustrade to see w hat was upsetting Ziyu. Curious glances from the customers below met his and he sighed. “Gossip mongers are making you tremble?”

Ziyu stepped back and started down the hall. “Those gossip mongers are part of the community. Reputation is important, San. You just put me in a very difficult position.”

San frowned. Ziyu was full of surprises, he thought as Ziyu disappeared around the hallway.

“Who are you?” a soft feminine voice inquired behind him.

He turned to find the woman from the kitchen. Chen, he remembered from Ziyu’s description. Beside her stood a younger woman with very long hair tied back with a purple ribbon.

“I’m Chen, she’s Jade,” Chen said her dark eyes narrowed. “You’re upsetting Ziyu. Who are you?”

He lowered his head in a slight bow. “I’m San Meor, Ziyu’s friend.”

“No friend of Ziyu would dare treat him the way you just did downstairs,” Jade accused. She was a tiny little lady dressed in wide skirts and a fitted top. He imagined she liked fairy tale stories.

Chen crossed her arms against her chest. “What did you mean by help the Teahouse?”

“I can’t say until Ziyu gives his consent. I’m sorry about the interruption downstairs.” Aware that he might be spending a few months here, he tried to soften his words with a smile. When none of the women returned it, he sighed. Ziyu was obviously not going to talk to him tonight. “I’ll show myself out. Tell Ziyu I’ll be back tomorrow.”

Chen and Jade moved to the side obviously inviting him to leave. San gave the end of the hallway one last glance before he headed downstairs. He needed to figure out a strategy. Ziyu’s pride was obviously going to be in the way.

****

Ziyu entered his apartment on the third floor and wished for a higher alcohol tolerance. A large case of beer would help right now, but he couldn’t indulge, one bottle would knock him out.

Removing his shoes, he walked into the living room and sunk onto the couch. Turning on the television for noise, he dropped his head back and fought tears. His world was caving in and he had no idea how to stop it. He’d been so close to accepting San Meor’s offer.

San was right. He was an idiot for holding on to a business that was choking him. Running a business with his heart instead of his brains, he sighed.

Cha, his white cat, jumped onto his lap purring for his attention. He sank his fingers into the luxurious fur and smiled when she pressed into the caress.

“I wish I was you, Cha,” he said a smile curving his lips when she meowed softly. “It must be nice to be you.”

Cha kept purring in contentment, and his gaze dropped to the pile of papers on his coffee table. Bank statements, bills, payroll, he scowled. San’s offer sneaked into his thoughts. He’d love to take it, dive right in and allow san to rescue him. But-, he sighed again. Who in their right mind offered help without asking for collateral?

He’d meet his fair share of con artists in business. Had even fallen for a scam once when he’d first started, but Chen had intervened and saved them before it was too late.

Gods but San’s help would be so great right now.

A soft knock on the door and he glanced up to find Chen peeing in at the front door.

“Hey boss,” she said with a small smile. “You okay?”

He groaned inward. The thought of disappointing Chen was making him sick. He really couldn’t give up the teahouse.

She entered the apartment and closed the door leaning on it for a moment. “Why don’t I make some tea, Jade is taking care of the customers.”

She walked into the kitchen. “You look pale. San left don’t be stressed anymore.”

He held Cha closer and wondered if the cat was feeling his uncertainty. He decided she must be when Cha didn’t squirm away.

Chen worked like magic. She placed a tray of mint scented tea on the coffee table in mere minutes. She picked up the pile of documents without giving them a glance and took them to the dining table in the corner.

“San seems like a nice man,” Chen continued returning to pour him tea. “Good eyes, he was worried about you. You can always tell how a person is by looking at their eyes.”

She held out the cup and he let go of Cha to take it. She perched on the armchair across him and watched him sip the tea. Five sips later, he glanced up to find Chen watching him keenly.

“What is he offering?” Chen asked quietly.

“How did you-

“I know.” Chen said. “Mrs. Yang was at the bank this morning. She overheard from one of the bank workers that our Precious Teahouse is endangered species. That’s why she came for lunch. Of course, after she’d stopped to tell the butcher, the flower shop crew, the hairdresser, and the fish shop guys next door.”

“I hate living in a small town,” Ziyu groaned and took a few more sips of tea. “I bet everyone knows about San now.”

“He’s the tall, brooding stranger no one knows about,” Chen smiled. “I think he likes you.”

“Likes me,” Ziyu’s eyes widened at the concept. He started laughing because it had been so long since he’d even thought about dating. He laughed so hard the cat got irritated with him and jumped off his lap.

“What’s so funny?” Chen frowned. “You’ve been single so long you can’t tell when a man likes you.”

Ziyu wiped his eyes and placed his cup on the tea tray. “San Meor, like me?” he scoffed. “He’s not the type. What makes you think he’s gay? There is no hint anywhere.”

Chen shook her head. “Think what you want. Come talk to me when he finally plants a kiss on you. What did he offer?”

Ziyu sighed. “San wants to pay the bank and in return, I have to let him live here. I said no.”

Chen stood and smacked him on top of his head.

“Ow, what’s that for?”

“You told me San’s father was your father’s childhood friend.”

“Have you heard of con artists-?

“Do you think a man who brought you such high quality Pu’er tea would be a con artist? Wake up Ziyu and read the tea leaves.”

Ziyu made a non-committal noise and reached for his tea. “Doesn’t matter-

“I’m worried about you,” Chen said. “When I heard what Mrs. Yang said, I figured you were worrying about getting us new jobs. If all of us leave, you’re going to be left here dealing with letting the Teahouse go alone. I can’t have that.”

“You’re not tied here, Chen.” Ziyu told her for the millionth time. They’d had this discussion over and over. “You’ve more than repaid your debt to my mother. I released you-

“I don’t want any release. This Teahouse is my home too,” Chen said glaring at him. “You’re a brother to me, you stubborn idiot. I care about you. It’s not easy watching you struggle like this, trying to make ends meet. Take the offer, Ziyu.”

“What happens when things go wrong?”

Chen reached over the coffee table to pat his knee. “We’ll deal with the consequences. We always do, but right now, the immediate problem outweighs the unknown. Take the offer, we’ll find a way to repay San Meor.”

Ziyu stared at her for a moment, and then gave an exaggerated sigh. “Chen, you talk too much sense. San told me I’m all sentiment and no business. If he pisses me off, I’m going to run him out.”

Chen laughed. “You won’t, you’re too much of a softy.”

“Being a softie is a bad thing,” Ziyu said. “It means I have to be more tough, Chen.”

She shook her head. “Don’t worry that’s why you have me. I’ll deal with him if he hurts you, sweetie. Now, relax, I’ll take care of the house today. Try and get some sleep, you and San have a lot to do tomorrow.”

****

“You’re free from the bank.” San told Ziyu the next afternoon. “I was surprised you were so amiable when I got to the Teahouse this morning. What happened?”

They were seated in the teahouse the bank documents laid out on the table. Ziyu stared at the receipts the bank manager had handed him with a wide smile.

“I had a long talk with Chen after you left.” Ziyu touched the receipt from the bank. He’d worked so hard wishing for this moment. He was caught between thanking San and worrying about San.

As if sensing his mood, San picked out the contract he’d shown up with this morning. “I’ll stay here for the next six months. Count up the rent using the money I used to pay off the bank. The rest, we’ll be paid off in a year, after the Teahouse is stable. My lawyer went through this with a fine tooth comb, so did my accountant. It’s signed and iron clad. No one can change it, even if we have a fight,” San teased at the end. “Don’t wear that expression, Ziyu.”

“I have no idea how to thank you.” Ziyu stared at him. “What do you get living here?”

“Are you kidding me?” San asked extending his hands to encompass the Precious Teahouse dining room. “Look at the history steeped within these walls. I was born in a tea farm, Ziyu. It’s time to learn about drinking tea, don’t you think?”

Ziyu smiled. “I’ve had so many plans put aside while I tried to pay off the loans I inherited.”

Pushing his chair back, he pushed all the papers on the table into a folder and stood. “Well, San Meor, welcome to the Precious Teahouse. If you come with me, I’ll show you where you’ll be staying.”

****

"Better to be deprived of food for three days,
than tea for one."
Chinese proverb

Six

Life in the Precious Teahouse was like nothing he’d ever experienced. Used to time tables and set tasks, San found Ziyu’s and Chen’s easy going lifestyle surprising. Ziyu never cooked meals in the apartment they were sharing. Chen served all their meals in the kitchen downstairs. Ziyu stayed up late every night and spent the morning sleeping in.

Jade and Lee appeared at around ten o’clock. They cleaned the dining room and arranged the seats in readiness for the lunch rush. San wandered through the dining room helping. After two days of helping, Jade pulled him aside one afternoon and asked him not to help anymore. When he asked why, she walked away with a glare. He’d tried to ask Ziyu, but all he’d gotten in return was a, “Jade runs the dining room.”

Lee collected dishes when the customers were done. On a busy afternoon, he’d met a couple at the door and led them to an empty table still laden with previous dishes. He’d immediately taken to helping Lee take dishes to the kitchen. A week of helping and Lee finally threw a set of tea cups on the wooden floor. Ziyu had come running from his office in the back and found Lee glaring.

“Is he replacing me?” Lee had asked Ziyu. “Is that the plan?”

Shocked, San had tried to say no, but Ziyu had cut him off. “No, Lee. You’re fine, San stop messing with Lee’s job and come with me.”

“Make him stop coming to the dining room.” Jade had demanded fiercely.

Ziyu waved them back to work and turned to San with a glare. “Let’s go.”

When they got to the kitchen, he’d asked. “Why are they freaking out? I was trying to help.”

“You’re messing with their work. Leave them be,” Ziyu said. “Find something else to do, alright.”

Unwelcome at the front, he’d decided to explore Chen’s domain. The large industrial kitchen was extremely sterile. Chen heated water in regulated kettles for the tea, and had all the ingredients for the different teas in specialized storage containers. She was as skilful as Ziyu when it came to tea preparation, but Chen had a fascinating side. Chen was a trained chef. He’d discovered this by accident. Jade had come in with a specialized order and he’d watched in fascination as Chen whipped up a tasty tea smoked duck plate. She only cooked for those who asked.

Chen allowed him to wash dishes, but that was all. Load the dish washer and walk away, San. Despite their obvious hostility to his presence in the house, they always made sure his meals were ready. Although they weren’t served with the warm charming air they offered Ziyu.

A month into his stay at the Precious Teahouse, San wondered if he’d ever fit in. He’d taken to exploring the town all day and returning in the evening to find Ziyu out in the dining room talking to the numerous customers who stayed until late.

“What are you thinking about?” Chen demanded, as she placed a breakfast tray before him. “You can’t enjoy breakfast with that awful face, San Meor. It’s too early.”

She was right. It was seven o’clock on a Sunday morning.”

The teashop was closed on Sundays. Chen and Jade usually spent Sunday mornings shopping in the market with Ziyu. Lee cleaned the dining room thoroughly.

“Chen,” San said. He stared at the marbled tea boiled eggs on the plate she'd placed beside his tea. “Wow, these look beautiful.”

“I try, what is on your mind?”

He sighed. “I’ve been here a month and I still feel like an outsider.”

Ziyu acted a polite host, and shared weekly reports with him. He didn’t bother with anything else. Their relationship was stalled. He spent his time watching Ziyu interact and laugh with strangers in the dining room, laughing and charming them. While Ziyu did his best to avoid him.

“You have a sad heart.” Chen pulled out a chair on the small kitchen table she used for his meals. She sat down and narrowed her gaze at him. She looked younger today. On Sunday’s she always looked nice. Today she was in a white dress with full skirts. Her hair usually in a bun fell down her back in waves. She leaned on the table and studied him. “You have no idea how to win Ziyu’s heart.”

He chuckled. “I think that is the most disturbing thing about you, Chen. How you can read people so easily?”

“With you, it’s very easy. Your eyes betray you.” She nodded to the tea. “Take a sip. You’ll feel better.”

“I’ve had more tea than ever before this past month.” San confessed as he took a sip of the tea she’d made him.

“You’ve had tea yes, but you’ve not taken the time to appreciate the taste, San.” Chen leaned back in her seat and sighed. “When I first came here, I was very broken. My family was gone, and I thought there was no place for me in the world.”

“Ziyu’s mom took me in when he was away in college. She had a kind smile and ran this kitchen those days while her husband took care of the front much like Ziyu does now. There were two young women helping at the time. I experienced the very same things you have with Jade and Lee.”

San forked a piece of marbled egg and put into his mouth. They were just right, he smiled at Chen. “Did she teach you to cook?”

“She taught me to run a kitchen.” Chen shrugged. “I’m a trained chef, but I learned how to run a specialized kitchen like this living with Ziyu’s mom. At the end of the day, she’d tell me, ‘better to be deprived of food for three days than tea for one’. Do you know what that means?”

San frowned staring at his tea. “Take tea everyday?”

Chen laughed. “You’re too logical. It means habits are hard to break. This Teahouse of ours is full of very many habits. Jade’s family doesn’t pay attention to her. Ziyu lets her serve and run the dining hall because it makes her happy to do so. She meets friends and new people, and feels like she matters here.”

San smiled as he realized his judgment had been right. Sentiment did run the tea house.

Chen winked. “Lee is a young man in search of himself. Ziyu took him off the streets where he was a pickpocket and gave him the important job of working here. His job while it might seem mundane to you, is a way to keep him responsible enough.”

“What about you Chen?”

She shrugged, “I’m sure Ziyu has told you my story. This is my home, and I love it so I give it my all. As for Ziyu, he hates waking up in the morning. Always has from childhood, as I understand. He sleeps late in the night doing the math for the teahouse, the past few months, he worried for the future. Lately, he’s worrying how to proceed and what you really want. He carries every thing with his heart, San.”

San stared at his eggs. “How can I make him let me in?”

Chen shrugged. “Find your place, San. Understand us before you try to help.”

She pushed back her chair and stood. “Want to come to the market with us?”

San nodded, first time she’d offered. All other Sundays they’d left him to fend for himself. “I’d love to come along. Are you sure Jade won’t ask me to walk across the street?”

Chen chuckled. “You’ll be just fine.”

2013, Suilan Lee
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think San was always business, I don't think he is used to emotions. He's finding it difficult to find his place in Ziyu life. I'm glad Chen is helping him now if only Ziyu would spread some of that sentimental softness San way it might happen a bit. Looking forward to next chapter

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Enjoyed this chapter too, especially the dichotomy between Ziyu's teahouse crew and San. Looking forward to the next chapter. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Poor San. I am sure he was feeling like an un-needed spoke in the wheel. But, Chen gave him a little insight and hopefully he will take it to heart and learn hot to get Ziyu's attention and eventually affections. Great chapter as always girl! :2thumbs:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I loved Chen. She uses both her mind and heart unlike Ziyu and San. She's the most balanced character in this story so far.

You showed it really well why this Teahouse means so much to Chen, Jade and Lee. Everyone has their own story which is somehow related to this teahouse.

Poor San trying really hard to fit in here with everyone, I hope with the help of Chen he would be able to find his place in this teahouse and in Ziyu's heart.

As usual great chapter Sui, waiting for the next one :*)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..