Jump to content
    liukas_soli
  • Author
  • 3,072 Words
  • 2,131 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

After Life - 4. Chapter 4 - Eddie

Chapter 4 – Eddie

I left Sam’s room after staying with him a while and went back to Limbo, looking for Eddie. I went down the tunnel and made the left at the doorway that was still as dark as it was when I first saw it. I found myself back at the wall, looking at Sam, who was by this point, sitting on his bed rubbing the remaining tears out of his eyes.

I returned thinking I was ready to cross over. I didn’t want to see my friends fighting and upset anymore. I didn’t feel like I needed to go back home to my family as I knew they’d eventually be ok. I looked around, not seeing any sign of Eddie or my grandparents. I was a little worried because they assured me they’d be waiting for me whenever I came back.

“Eddie? Grandma? Grandpa?”

Nothing.

Where were they?

At that moment, three bursts of bright light appeared in front of me. Once the light had cleared, I was relieved to see that it was my grandparents and Eddie. They stood there, smiling at me. I was really glad to see them.

“Hey, sweetie,” my grandmother said, coming towards me to give me hug.

“Hey.”

“I’m surprised you’re back already,” said my grandfather, also approaching me for a hug.

“I was thinking the same thing,” said Eddie.

“I think I’m ready. I think I’m ready to cross over.”

My grandparents exchanged excited looks with one another. Eddie, however, was studying me carefully.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Oh, Edward, of course he’s sure!” exclaimed my grandmother.

“Yes, I’m sure,” I replied.

“Well that settles it. Come with me,” said my grandpa, his hand on my shoulder.

My grandparents and I began to walk towards the doorway, leaving Eddie behind.

“Wait.”

We turned around to look back at Eddie who wore a determined expression on his face.

“What is it, Edward?” my grandmother asked.

“I don’t think he’s ready, yet,” he replied.

My grandparents exchanged a look with each other.

“Edward,” my grandfather said. “He just said he’s ready. It’s time.”

“Paul, you and I need to talk,” said Eddie, looking at me.

“Um sure Eddie,” I said.

I left my grandparents and went over to Eddie.

“I think I’m going to talk with Eddie. I’m sorry. I just want to make sure everything is good to go.”

“Alright dear. That’s fine,” replied my grandmother.

“We’ll be here waiting. Just call us if you need anything,” said my grandpa.

“I will,” I said.

“Ok, Mason, since we are still here, why don’t we go over to the wall and visit my sister, Regina? Frank just died and I think she could use some company. He’s down there with her as well; it’d be nice to catch up,” said grandmother sweetly.

“Ok dear, lead the way.”

With a flash of light, my grandparents were gone, leaving me and Eddie behind.

“So, what do you want to talk about?” I asked him.

“We need catching up of our own, don’t you agree? You and I were pretty good friends back in the day.” Eddie smiled at me, his hand on my shoulder. “Besides, you need to tell me everything you’ve witnessed since being down there.”

I nodded and explained everything to Eddie. Eddie was a great listener, chiming in where appropriate and even hugging me a couple times at some of the sadder parts.

“Wow,” said Eddie after I finished my story. “That was pretty intense.”

“Yeah, tell me about it. I was just so sad for Sam, and Will, I suppose.”

Eddie nodded.

“I’m angry with Will, too.”

“And you should be. He was going to use your best friend as an avenue for sex, and take his virginity in the process.”

“My best friend,” I replied thoughtfully. “He deserved so much more from me than just friends, Eddie.”

“Yes, I agree with you. But you were with Will as well; you stayed true to him. So, I cannot fault you for not seeing how Will really was.”

“We are all human aren’t we? Even in death, we are all human.”

“That’s exactly right,” nodded Eddie.

Eddie and I stood there for a few moments, watching Sam through the wall. By this time, Sam was at soccer practice, his mind totally focused on the sport we both played and loved.

“Eddie, how did you die? All I remember is your mom telling us about your death and then suddenly moving away.”

Eddie sighed, still watching Sam as he spoke.

“I was killed in a car accident. Some drunk driver ran through a stoplight and smashed into me. One moment I’m looking at headlights. The next moment I’m here, talking to my dad. I didn’t feel a thing.”

I nodded sadly at Eddie. What a shitty way to die.

“I never forgave my mom for how she handled things. She didn’t let anybody from school say goodbye. She didn’t even have any sort of service for the family. She just had me cremated, took my ashes, and left town.”

“Wow.” That was all I was able to say.

Eddie paused for a moment before speaking again.

“When she dies, she’ll be limbo for eternity. She won’t be able to cross over.”

“Why?”

“Because she didn’t honor my death; she didn’t allow anyone to pay their respects. She didn’t allow anyone to hold onto any portion of my life energy. Because of that, she made it to where I can never return to Earth whenever I’m in Limbo. What’s sad in a way is that I keep coming back here. I’m always summoned to help someone cross over. So I’m always reminded of what my mom did to me; what she’s done to herself.”

“I’m so sorry, Eddie.”

Eddie nodded and continued.

“I have friends down there who need me, Paul. I can never go back there again. Honestly, I’m surprised I crossed over at all. If there was a soul who was meant to remain in Limbo for eternity, it was me.”

“Don’t say that, Eddie.”

“No Paul, I’d totally be ok with it. I’d be able to give my mom hell for all eternity for the way she treated me after death.”

“But you crossed over anyway,” I reminded him.

“Yes, I did. I did so because Dad begged me to. Dad and I were always close in life, so I gave in and crossed over. To be honest, that was probably the best decision I ever made, even though I’m still a bit bitter about it, in a way.”

“What made you realize crossing over was the right decision?”

Eddie smiled at me, his green eyes beaming brightly.

“Because to cross over is to enter your own personal paradise, Paul. Don’t you ever forget that.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You don’t have to understand right now. Just trust me.”

“I trust you, Eddie. I always did and I always will.”

Eddie smiled brightly at me and gave me the warmest hug ever.

“Excellent.”

Eddie and I continued to stand at the wall, watching Sam mostly, occasionally watching Will, my parents, and Dana.

We focused on my parents for a while. Over time, I began to feel like I was missing them. When they eventually sat down for dinner with Sam, I knew I had to go back.

“Eddie, I need to go back. I’m still not done.”

Eddie took a step back from the wall and smiled at me.

“I know. Go on. Go.”

“You’ll be here properly when I come back?” I asked him.

“Yes, I promise you.”

“Ok.”

I looked back at the wall at the sight of everyone at the dinner table. I smiled widely, excited at being with everyone again. And like before, I touched the glass and made my way back down.

I was finally going back home.

~*~*~*~*

“So Sam, how is the college search going for you?” my mom asked.

“I’m finished. I got accepted to Tennessee Tech University’s Education department, got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday,” said Sam, smiling. Sam was really excited at the prospect of starting college in the fall.

“Oh, Sam, that’s great news!” said my mom. She got up from her chair and went over to give him a hug, which he reciprocated.

“Thanks, Carol.”

“I am so proud of you Sam,” said my dad.

“Congrats, Sam,” said Dana.

“Thanks, y’all.” Sam was beginning to blush.

My mom sighed as she sat back down. “I wish Paul was here, he would’ve been so proud of you. I think he was looking at Tech also, right Howard?”

“Yeah I think he was. He and Will were going to room together,” replied my dad, taking a sip of his drink.

Sam looked sad as he suddenly felt the need to stare at his plate.

“Sam, you ok?” asked Dana sweetly. My parents were fixated on Sam, waiting for his response.

Sam’s expression cleared up in an instant as he smiled at Dana and patter her back.

“Yes ma’am, I’m just fine,” he said.

Carol and Howard exchanged looks with one another and continued eating.

Dinner remained casual as Sam talked more about going to school and the classes he’d be taking. His focus was going to be in Math. He’d end up with a Math degree by the time he graduated. My parents were impressed with his choice of degree.

“You have a bright future ahead of you, Samuel. College is tough, but as long as you focus on the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, you’ll be golden,” said my mom.

“Yeah, I think I’ll be ok.”

“Yes you will,” replied mom warmly, patting him on the back.

“Ok, who’s ready for dessert?” my mom asked once everyone had finished and plates were put in the sink.

“Oh me me!” exclaimed Dana.

“You’re not sweet enough?” asked Dad, winking at her.

“Nope,” she smiled sweetly.

“Sam will you stay for dessert?” asked my mom while she pulled a bowl out of the fridge.

“Sure, Carol. I’d love to. What are we having?”

“Banana pudding!”

“Oh yay, my favorite!” exclaimed Dana.

“Sam, you’re in for a treat. Carol makes the best banana pudding,” said dad.

Mom walked over and set the bowl down and gave my dad a kiss.

“Why, thank you, sweetie.”

Everyone ate their dessert in silence. I was missing mom’s pudding as I stood there. Dad wasn’t joking.

“There’s enough for seconds, guys,” said my mom once everyone finished. “Sam, you want more?”

At that moment Sam’s phone rang.

“Uh, not right now. Hang on, it’s Will.”

“Oh good, invite him over for dessert,” said mom.

Sam got up and left the kitchen to take Will’s call.

“Hey, buddy, what’s up?” he asked.

“Not much, just hanging out at home. Where are you? Your mom said you were out.”

“Um, I’m at the Goodman’s. You should come by, there’s banana pudding.”

Will hesitated for a moment before speaking.

“Oh, um, I think I’ll pass. I was hoping maybe you’d stop by for a bit? I think we should talk um, about what happened.”

Sam didn’t say anything for a moment. He wasn’t entirely sure he wanted to see Will, presumably alone, at home.

“Is anyone home?” Sam asked him.

“No, my parents are down at the country club at some gathering. They won’t be home until late.”

Sam stood there for a few moments not saying anything. He was still feeling skeptical.

“Sam, you still there?”

“Yeah.”

“So… are you coming over or what? You could stay the night if you wanted to.”

“Not tonight, Will. I should probably just go home.”

“Why? I mean… it’s not like your mom is gonna be there. Doesn’t she just stay with Andy all of the time?”

“Will, I’m not ready to talk to you just yet. I’m still upset over what happened. I’m not sure I can trust you anymore.”

There was silence for a moment before Will spoke. “You know what? Fuck you. I know you’re still in love with Paul. What you need to realize is that he’s dead and not coming back. You also need to realize that I’m pretty much all you got right now. We were friends, Sam. Friends work shit out.”

“No, Will, we were not and we are not, friends. I only put up with you because it made Paul happy. When Paul was happy, I was happy, end of discussion. Now that Paul’s dead, I might as well be dead too. I truly loved him. You only dated him because of the object he was. If you had your way, you would’ve made sure I was well out of the picture!”

“Sam you are really fucked up right now. Come over and I’ll help you sort of all of this out.”

“You mean come over so I can fuck you, right? I’m not stupid, Will. I know what you’re up to.”

“Oh, honey, you think you’re that special. I can have any guy I want. I don’t see you hooking up with anyone.”

Sam was furious and about ready to fly off the handle. He took a deep breath before answering.

“That’s because I have morals, Will. I choose to wait until I find true and real love.”

Will laughed. “Oh honey, hate to break it to you, but your true love died right after you kissed him. It must be just so horrible for you! That’ll teach you not to kiss someone else’s boyfriend.”

“Go fuck yourself.”

“I’d rather you do it for me,” said Will mockingly.

“You don’t even deserve someone like me. You deserve to be raped and murdered. And you know what? I’d be so fucking glad if you were!”

Sam ended the call, furious beyond comprehension. He looked over and saw my mom standing there looking at him sadly yet with a hint of anger on her face.

“You know, I will allow myself to say this the one and only time,” she said.

“What is that?” Sam asked.

“For Paul’s sake, I’m glad he’s gone. He no longer has to deal with that pompous, shit-eating bastard.”

Sam stood there, absolutely mesmerized at what my mom had just said. I couldn’t help but smile brightly at my mom at that moment.

“Um… damn, Carol, that’s um, wow.”

“We’ll say nothing more about it. Now come, let’s have some more pudding, shall we?”

~*~*~*~*

 

Sam left my house after he finished his second bowl of pudding. He explained to my mom everything that had gone on between him, Will, and me, including the fact that he had loved me. I was really touched that my mom was so open to this fact. When he admitted his love for me to her, she responded with a warm hug and a statement that I would’ve loved him back. It caused me to tear up slightly.

“Howard,” she called as she was cleaning up her and Sam’s bowls. “Can you go out and get the mail? I’d forgotten all about it.

“Sure, honey. I’ll be right back.”

When he came back and laid the mail on the table, my dad looked a little hesitant. He picked up a large manila envelope and walked over to my mom, who was wiping down the countertop.

“I think this is the autopsy results,” he said, showing her the envelope. My mom looked at it, then at him, then back at the envelope before nodding.

“I think it’s best that you put Dana to bed,” she said.

“Ok. I’ll meet you on the couch.”

She took the envelope from my dad and went to sit on the couch. After Dana was tucked in, dad returned and sat next to my mom.

“This is it, babe. We’re going to know exactly what happened to him.”

“Go on and open it.”

Slowly, mom opened the envelope. Together, they read through the report. As they read it, mom began to cry. Dad rubbed her back in an attempt to comfort her. He wasn’t without tears in his own eyes as well.

Mom put the report down and wrapped dad into her arms. They held each other tight for a few moments before she finally was able to speak.

“My poor baby. Dead at 18 because of sudden cardiac arrest.”

“I know,” said dad.

“Caused by ventricular fibrillation,” she said in between sobs. “What the hell is an 18 year old kid doing, dying like this?”

She continued to sob, looking distraught beyond comprehension.

“It’s horrible, isn’t it?” said my dad.

“He could’ve been saved, Howard. He could’ve been saved if only Sam or someone was awake!”

“Honey, honey, this is nobody’s fault. There is nothing anyone could’ve done. And besides, think of the potential organ and brain damage Paul may have experienced if he did survive. It’s cruel, but maybe he was better off not surviving.”

Mom looked over at dad, her face visibly wet from her tears.

“He would’ve been better off not having any issues in the first place.”

“I know baby, I know.”

They remained on the couch for a long period of time, holding each other. When mom finally calmed down enough, she put everything back in the envelope and stood up, looking worn out.

“Let’s go to bed, Dana’s got to be up early tomorrow for her art camp,” said mom as she extended her hand out to my dad.

“Yes, let go to bed so I can remind you of how much I love you.”

Mom smiled at dad and gave him a nice kiss. Within moments they began making out, which was my queue to leave them behind.

I walked away from the couch and willed myself back to Limbo. I couldn’t wait to tell Eddie everything that had gone on.

The familiar feeling of being tugged upwards engaged me as I took one final look at my parents as they headed towards their bedroom. I managed a quick smile in their direction before I could no longer see them.

I arrived at the now familiar tunnel. I headed straight for the wall, knowing Eddie would be waiting for me.

“Hey, you’re back,” he said smiling at me as I approached him.

“Yes and boy, have I got so much to tell you!”

“We have all of eternity buddy, fire away!”

~*~*~*~*

 

Copyright © 2015 liukas_soli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Out of likes, so I'll do that later.
Another excellent chapter.
I think my favourite part was the dinner with Sam and Paul's family. Even though Paul is no longer there, Sam is still important to them (likely more so now). With the implication from Will that Sam's mother would not have been home, it's nice that Sam has Paul's family to lean on for support beyond shared grief.
As for the comment Paul's mom made regarding Will? That was unexpected, but welcome.

Link to comment

Liukas: Another truly heartfelt chapter. You're taking a difficult subject and bringing out the heart! I'm proud of you.. keep it up!
True

Link to comment
On 08/10/2015 11:44 PM, Reader1810 said:

Out of likes, so I'll do that later.

Another excellent chapter.

I think my favourite part was the dinner with Sam and Paul's family. Even though Paul is no longer there, Sam is still important to them (likely more so now). With the implication from Will that Sam's mother would not have been home, it's nice that Sam has Paul's family to lean on for support beyond shared grief.

As for the comment Paul's mom made regarding Will? That was unexpected, but welcome.

Reader, I'm glad you liked chapter 4. I definitely agree that the bond between Paul's parents and Sam has gotten all the more stronger. I think that they have always treated him like another son, since he's been a big part of their lives (and Paul's) for most of his life (and Paul's also). The dinner was my favorite part of chapter 4 to write. I must admit, Carol's comment regarding Will at the end was a bit of a surprise for me, but after I typed it out, I felt confident that she had it in her to say such things when appropriate. Glad you liked this chapter. Chapter 5 is almost finished.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2015 04:56 AM, Atruefan said:

Liukas: Another truly heartfelt chapter. You're taking a difficult subject and bringing out the heart! I'm proud of you.. keep it up!

True

Uncle True, I'm glad you enjoyed chapter 4. Chapter 4 was indeed a really heartfelt chapter for me to write. It some ways, it is not unlike my situation in real life. There was a lot of emotion in writing this chapter for me personally. Chapter 5 is nearly done. It will be a treat (I hope)! :)

Link to comment

I realize now that the dinner and Will's phone call to Sam was not the same day as the funeral. At first I thought it was the same day, after Sam's soccer game/practice, and I was wondering why no one at the table was crying, and why they were all so cheerful.

 

I was surprised that Sam answered Will's call with a "Hey, buddy" since the last time they spoke or saw each other they were cursing at one another.

 

So sad about what happened to Eddie. I wonder how his father died? Your attention to detail about crossing over and the rules related to that are amazing! I found it truly fascinating! :)

Link to comment
On 08/15/2015 09:44 AM, Lisa said:

I realize now that the dinner and Will's phone call to Sam was not the same day as the funeral. At first I thought it was the same day, after Sam's soccer game/practice, and I was wondering why no one at the table was crying, and why they were all so cheerful.

 

I was surprised that Sam answered Will's call with a "Hey, buddy" since the last time they spoke or saw each other they were cursing at one another.

 

So sad about what happened to Eddie. I wonder how his father died? Your attention to detail about crossing over and the rules related to that are amazing! I found it truly fascinating! :)

Lisa, glad you enjoyed this chapter! Sam is just really nice. Giving the type of person he is, I think he always tries to keep it nice with everyone (including Will) as much as possible until he has a reason to be otherwise. Understand also, that some time has passed the wake/funeral now, so he's had time to cool down.Eddie: I really like him. He could have a prequel... who knows ;) Glad you enjoyed this chapter./ Chapter 5 is nearly done :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..