Jump to content
    Mac Rountree
  • Author
  • 4,546 Words
  • 1,898 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jimbo - 19. Brussels

The entourage leave Paris for Brussels to discover the apartment that now belongs to Matan and Yonatan.

We exited the Chief Rabbi's office and told everyone that we had a special dispensation to travel on Shabbat and as soon as Green could make arrangements, we would be leaving Paris. Herbert was disheartened to hear that.

Green acknowledged what he had heard and made a telephone call. I was then able to move Green off to the side and tell him what the Chief Rabbi had said. His eyes grew big. He only said one word. “Damn.” He went over to Black to repeat what I said. After a shocked reaction I heard two words. “Well, fuck.”

As we were leaving the synagogue, a cordon formed around Matan and me again. Herbert was confused but was pulled into the group by Tim. Tim quietly explained about circling us and keeping us safe. Herbert stood up straighter than he had all week. I could sense that he appreciated being included and even more important was that he had a role in protecting us. He was beginning to truly understand on a practical level what our lives had become.

We were told to pack our bags and the plane would be ready as soon as we arrived. We hurried back to the apartment and packed. Judy and Herbert became very emotional and upset that we were leaving early. When Green knocked on the apartment door, we were in the midst of yet another good bye hug. Even I was sad that we were leaving. As foretold, Matan and I had not gotten to tour Paris but we had seen bits that would forever live in my memory.

A van was waiting downstairs. Amit was the driver. Green told Herbert and Judy they were welcome to travel with us and that the van would return them to the apartment. Judy quickly grabbed her purse and we exited the building. Matan, Judy, Herbert and I waited in the vestibule until we were told that it was clear to get into the van. Judy and Herbert were taken aback by the security but were fine once they were in the van and the doors were closed. Everyone was excited about seeing Brussels. This had not been on anyone’s agenda. We quickly traveled the streets and headed to the private airport we had used on Thursday. My pulse raced somewhat as I recognized where we were heading. Matan grabbed my hand and said that everything was great. He couldn’t wait to get to the apartment in Brussels.

We arrived at the airport and before any of us left the van, Green and Black surveilled the area. Amit never turned off the motor in case we needed to escape. Green smiled and nodded and we climbed out grabbing our bags. Judy and Herbert stood on either side of the steps to the plane and kissed and hugged each of us good bye. In less than a week all of us had become their family. There were promises to be in touch as soon as we returned to the states so planning for the foundations could continue. Except for Green who was standing guard, Matan and I were the last to climb the steps to the plane. Matan had a complete breakdown on the tarmac. He told his parents of his love for them and their generosity in his life. His parents both reached out and supported him so he could place his foot on the first step. I had never seen him so distraught. This trip had been very healing for the three of them and they saw their son as an adult for the first time. Now he was completely flustered that the miracle that happened in such a short time was ending. He had become completely undone.

Judy looked at me. “Take care of him. He loves you so much. We both love you so much.”

Herbert was more stoic but he choked up as he called me his son. He grabbed my shoulders and then kissed both of my cheeks.

“Safe travels.”

Green hugged both Herbert and Judy and then growled at me that we were late. He then grinned from ear to ear.

The trip was short and easy. Ayal smiled and said he could get used to working for me.

“Private planes. First class travel on commercial jets. Ahhh, this is the life.”

“I forgot to tell you, Ayal. Herbert had decreed that we are only allowed to travel coach from now on.” I grinned.

“We won’t tell, Yonatan.”

“Ahhh, but I had to promise to tell him everything. Everything!” We both laughed.

I enjoyed the bantering. It was a promising start for a future working relationship.

We landed and two vehicles were at the ready. They took us through the city and deposited us at our hotel. Green took Ayal by the elbow and led him to the front desk. Our check in was quickly dispatched. We went to our room and Matan paced back and forth wanting to go to the apartment.

“Green said he needed an hour to make sure everything was in place.” We waited and just as I was about to call Green’s room to hurry him along, there was a knock at our door and I opened it.

“Never do that again, Yonatan. Never. It could have been anyone. You could have been murdered right then. We will have a discussion later about protocols in public places.”

Green knew how to put a damper on our spirits.

“Now, is it just the two of you going or can the rest of the guys go? Just to let you know, they are dying to see the apartment.”

I looked at Matan. It was his decision. “Bring them also. We can all look at it together.”

We walked through the lobby with the guys circling us. I figured that Green had briefed them about security. We were back to our routine.

Matan and I were in the second vehicle with Black and Tim. Black had taken his gun out of its holster and laid it across his thigh. He said that he had trained to shoot with either hand but the problem was removing it from its holster with his left hand. We just nodded.

We traveled to St. Catherine’s Terrace and pulled up in front of a large Second Empire building. There was an older man standing out front obviously looking for someone. Green exited his vehicle and spoke with the man. He then signaled for all of us to get out.

The man was overwhelmed by seeing all of us. He wanted to know who was the relative of the great Dr. Oscar Feldsher. Matan stepped forward and went up to the man. The elderly gentleman looked Matan up and down and said he could see the family resemblance.

“You knew my great-grandfather?”

“I was just a boy when I first met him. He was here for a Solvay Institute Conference. I believe it was 1934. My father was a scientist also and they collaborated on something about oxygen deprivation and the brain. They were at the conference to hear the latest scientific information. Your great-grandmother was here also. They had traveled from Vienna. Your great-grandfather told my father they needed to find an apartment that was safe. My father understood what he meant and said he would find them something. You see, we are Catholic. My father could rent something; nobody would have rented to your grandfather except in the Jewish quarter. That would not have been safe. Even then we could foresee what was happening in Germany.”

“My father found this apartment and your great grandparents came back to Brussels on the pretext of medical business with my father. They saw the apartment and said it was perfect. Your great-grandfather trusted my father and everything was put into my father’s name. That took a lot of trust on your great grandfather’s part. My father received deliveries from Vienna. They were not opened but placed in the apartment. Once, when I was here with him, I opened one of the crates and saw art work. I never opened another one. My father said it was not ours and it was probably better if we did not know. I found out later that your great grandparents had arranged to live in the apartment if things became really bad in Vienna. They never got here. The apartment has been closed up for years. I come once a week to walk through to make sure there are no major problems. It has also been helpful because everyone thinks it is mine. When they asked, I told them that I was not ready to rent it yet. They joke with me that if I don’t rent it soon, I will be dead and there will be no one to live here. I just laugh with them.”

We had walked up a second set of steps and were on the first floor (second floor to Americans) and stood outside a door.

“I have bad manners, I apologize. My name is Willem Arendt.” We each introduced ourselves. He seemed puzzled that Matan and I had the same last name.

Mr. Arendt then handed Matan the key to the apartment.

Matan looked at Mr. Ardent. “How did you connect with Mr. Cohen?”

“A couple of years ago I saw an advertisement in a newspaper about unclaimed Jewish property. I contacted a law firm in Paris. They then sent me to a Monsieur Lambert. He then sent me to Mr. Cohen. It was Mr. Cohen who flew to Brussels to meet with me. He brought documentation for me to review. I asked him if I should get an attorney. He said I should so we were all protected. Then a Monsieur Lambert came to Brussels and brought me documentation he had gathered about the Feldsher family and I was convinced that I was not dealing with fraudsters. I am so grateful that the apartment is returning to the Feldsher family. Your great-grandfather was my father’s best friend and colleague in medicine. My father made me swear on his deathbed that I would return the property to the Feldsher family.”

Matan’s hand was shaking as he put the key in the lock. I heard the lock tumbler turn. The door easily swung open. I don’t know what I was expecting but when the door opened, I was amazed at how beautiful the apartment was. I had assumed that the apartment had been locked up in the 1930s and that nothing had been done since then.

“Your Mr. Cohen said that the apartment needed to put right for you to live in. I helped him identify people to do all of the work. All of the furniture has been reupholstered, new curtains were made, and the rugs have been cleaned. The whole place has been freshly painted. It looks like it would have if your great grandparents had moved in. I guess it cost a lot of money. It was only recently finished.”

We were all in awe of the beautiful architecture and antique furniture. Someone had sensitively hung art work throughout. It was ready to live in. We took in room after room. Our mouths were hanging open. We walked down a back hallway and opened a door. It had been fitted out with racks to hold art work. Matan gasped.

“Your Mr. Cohen had someone from Paris to come hang the artwork. This room and the next are filled with paintings. There is also a room filled with sculptures. These were maid’s room and Mr. Cohen said you probably wouldn’t be bringing a maid with you.” Willem chuckled. “Nobody has maids anymore. Nobody can afford them except rich people. I doubt most young people your age are rich enough to afford a decent meal much less a maid.” The guys looked at us and fought down their chuckles.

We thanked Mr. Arendt and Matan got his address. Mr. Arendt said during his entire life he had one goal and that was to make sure the Feldsher family had their apartment and their belongings. His family had saved the Feldsher household goods and artwork. I was sure that Matan was going to make a grand gesture in thanks. I would totally agree with whatever he wanted to do.

Matan became very quiet. I looked him in the eyes and knew that he needed to be alone in the apartment. I quietly spoke to Green and he understood. He gathered Tim, Ayal and Zeke and said they were returning to the hotel. He said he was sending our luggage to the apartment and that dinner would be sent from the hotel.

After the men left, Black said he was going to lie down and rest if that was okay with Matan. Matan nodded. I knew that was Black’s way to give us some space.

I sat in the salon looking at St. Catherine’s Cathedral. The square in front was filled with people. Matan wandered from room to room touching things. He would then sit and look at art work. He disappeared and I realized he was in the maid’s room looking at paintings and sculpture. He never spoke a word.

I heard a knock at the door and suddenly Black appeared. He had his gun ready. I opened the door to find Green with a porter from the hotel. Our luggage was delivered as well as meals. Green said the hotel would arrange to pick up the dishes in the morning when they delivered breakfast.

The porter put our luggage in the Master Bedroom and Black’s luggage was taken to his room. At sunset, I walked through the apartment turning on lamps. The rooms came alive. I arranged the plates of food on the dining room table. I went back to find Matan sitting on the floor looking at a painting that was propped against a wall. It was a painting of his great-grandparents.

“This has to be sent to Paris. My mother has never seen a picture of her grandparents. It is to hang at the house in Paris if it is okay with you.” I nodded and said this was his and that he should make the decisions. Matan jumped up and threw himself at me. I fell backwards. Matan fell on top of me and was sobbing as he said, “It is ours. It is ours. Please, don’t make it mine. I cannot do this alone. Please tell me that we are one. Yonatan, I didn’t know this was going to affect me in this way. It is us. Please tell me we are doing this together.”

Stupid me. I wrapped him in my arms. I looked up and saw Black standing at the end of the hallway with his pistol drawn. I nodded to him and he acknowledged that he understood. We lay in the floor while I held Matan and let him cry until there were no more tears. The painting of his great-grandparents had made it all real for him. It was no longer hypothetical talk in a room filled with men in suits. I helped Matan to his feet and led him to the dining room. Black and I talked over dinner while Matan sat mute. I told Matan I would put his supper in the refrigerator in case he was hungry later. He nodded his head that he understood.

I went back to the salon and Matan went to our bedroom and retrieved the inventory for the artwork. He disappeared.

It was approaching bedtime when I went to find Matan. He was sitting in the hallway where he had lined paintings. He was reading the written information and then looking at the painting. He had his cobalt blue portfolio and was making notes in his precise handwriting. I told him it was bedtime. He spoke and said he would be up for a while longer and for me to go to bed. I did. It was the first time that I had fallen asleep without him beside me since we left my parent’s house. Even when I was sick, he sat beside the bed. I counted sheep until the herd was so large that one shepherd could not manage them. I got out of bed and went back to the hallway. He was engrossed.

“Later Yonatan. I promise it will be soon.”

I went back to bed to toss and turn all night. When I awoke the next morning, he was in the room with the sculptures. I asked if he wanted coffee and he said that he did. He looked at me and smiled.

“Come here, I need to kiss you.”

I walked over to him and we kissed. He needed to clean his teeth. I didn’t care.

Breakfast arrived. Matan grabbed some toast and then disappeared again. Green came in to give me the schedule for the day. We would fly out of Brussels and instead of going to JFK we would fly into Dulles. He had booked the last afternoon flight for us saying that we would get into Dulles late and probably spend the night in a hotel and leave in the morning for Suffolk.

Matan spent all day with the artwork. I had never seen him so obsessed. Finally, mid-afternoon I told him that he must shower for the flight back to the U.S. He reluctantly let me direct him to the shower. I got in with him and he grinned at me.

“This is so amazing, Yonatan. I am completely overwhelmed and am trying to make sense of what is here. I want to come back as soon as we can. I want to pay Mr. Arendt to look after the apartment for us. He is a truly special man. He could have kept everything for himself but he was selfless in seeking out our family. We can never fully repay him.” I said yes to everything he said. We packed and soon Green and the others were at the apartment door. It was hard to take Matan away. I understood his desire to stay but we had to go back home. I then wondered where home was.

When we pulled away from the apartment a car moved in beside the van. It kept pace with us as we moved through the city. I asked Green if he noticed anything unusual about the car traveling beside us.

“We are already aware, Yonatan. You and Matan stay in your seats. Nobody should act like there is a problem.”

Suddenly there were sirens and the police pulled behind the car. The car accelerated and gave the police chase. The guys turned and looked at us. We didn’t know what to say. When we arrived at the Brussel’s airport the El Al security around us was significantly enhanced. We were taken through a separate screening and were sent up outside steps to the plane. We never entered the terminal proper. Thankfully, Ayal had taken care of all of the documents and was efficient as ever.

We settled onto the plane and the first person we saw was Etienne. He had been our steward on our trip to Paris. He looked at Matan and asked if he could get him anything. Matan had not slept in the past 30 hours and was flagging. He had stayed up all night looking at the artwork. Matan shook his head and said he just needed sleep. Etienne immediately said as soon as we were in the air he would make the bed. Matan said he would sleep in his seat until the bed was ready. Matan closed his eyes and was dead to the world; Etienne asked what I wanted. I told him a huge glass of scotch would be appreciated. Green came over and asked if we were going to be okay. I told him that Matan was down for the count and would probably sleep until we arrived at Dulles and that I was going to do the same after I finished my drink.

I looked out of the window and could see the sun dipping in the western sky. It would be late when we arrived at Dulles. There was the announcement that the doors were closed and secured and then the behemoth lumbered back from the gate. The plane started its taxi toward the runway when it stopped. We sat for a few minutes and then I could hear the engines start to wind up again. We started moving but not to the runway; we went to an area away from the terminals and the runways. I looked out the windows and saw security vehicles racing toward the plane. Green had gotten out of his seat and came to tell me to stay calm and to let Matan sleep. As soon as he said that he returned to his seat and buckled his seat belt.

I could see men in black jumpsuits getting out of the vehicles. They had assault weapons with them. My heart was in my throat. I turned to look at Green. He could see the terror in my eyes.

In a quiet voice, he said, “Yonatan. Everything is okay. You are okay, Yonatan. You are safe. Matan is safe.” I could feel my pulse racing. I looked straight ahead. Etienne had gotten up and asked if I needed anything. I told him I needed another glass of scotch. He gave me ‘the look’ so I repeated myself. Etienne brought it to me.

“I brought you some food also. I don’t want you to get too drunk.” He squatted in the aisle and talked to me asking about our honeymoon. I sipped my drink while giving him what information I could. I told him about being in the Louvre before it opened. His eyes got wide.

“You guys must be really, really important instead of being just merely important.” He laughed and I did also. I had consumed enough alcohol that I told him we were three times really important. We both laughed. He asked why we were flying out of Brussels. I said we had a chance to go to Brussels and took the opportunity. I didn’t give him any details.

“Are you feeling better now Yonatan?”

“Yes, thank you Etienne. I have a major anxiety disorder and there are triggers that push me over the edge. That was happening. Usually Matan helps me but he needed to sleep. I couldn’t force myself to awaken him.”

“In my work, we learn to identify those passengers who need assistance. You were trying to be cool but when that other gentleman spoke to you the way he did, I thought I could possibly help. You let me know if you or Matan need anything. You are two of my favorite passengers.”

Etienne got up and took my glass and plate. I leaned over and kissed Matan and told him I loved him. At that point I put my head back and started to fall asleep. I awoke when the plane started moving. I turned to look at Green and he gave me two thumbs up. That was so uncharacteristic that I started laughing. Matan roused awake and asked if everything was okay. I told him that life was good and to go back to sleep.

Matan awoke long enough to eat some dinner. He ate from both of our plates. He reminded me that he basically had not eaten for the past two days and that he was still a growing boy. I whispered in his ear that I needed for him to keep his strength up because I had serious things to do to him when we got home.

“Do you promise?” He smiled.

“Yes. I need you so badly.” He took my hand and lowered it until it was rubbing against his crotch. I felt the need. I took his hand and moved it to my place of desire. He grinned and asked if we would get kicked off the plane if we had sex in the restroom. We both laughed at the thought and decided we would not take the risk.

“I love you so much. I want you to take me so we can make some babies.”

I had a stupid, lop-sided grin on my face. We curled up face to face and slept. I awoke when the Captain turned on the seat belt sign and said we were approaching Dulles airport. When we landed the Captain again apologized for the delay leaving Brussels but said there was a security concern that had proved to be a false alarm. He then said the local time was 1:30 a.m. I had lost track of how much time we had spent on the ground.

We gathered our luggage and Green told us we were going to stay overnight in a hotel and drive to Suffolk later in the day. It was fast going on 2 a.m. at that point. Green said he had rented a van to take us home. He pulled up to the curb and we loaded our luggage. He had directions for the hotel. I was sitting in the front seat beside him when we crossed a city line into Vienna, Virginia. I turned to look at Green. Before I could speak, he asked if we could share the driving to Suffolk. I was relieved and said yes. He laughed and said he was too tired to take a chance. We drove for a few minutes and then he said we would have to pay for the hotel even though we weren’t using the room. I told him it was part of my wasteful spending but perhaps in this case Herbert would forgive me. Green stopped at a 7-11 to get us black coffees. Everyone else in the van was asleep. Green and I kept up a conversation to keep each other awake. I told him that I was freaking out when security came to the plane. I thought there was something wrong for Matan and me. He looked at me and smiled.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, boss, but sometimes it is not all about you. Wait, most times it is not all about you. Wait, one time in a million times it might possibly be all about you. Just possibly.” The way he said that made me laugh. We both were laughing loudly.

“Keep it quiet up there. Some of us artists are trying to sleep back here.” We both smiled.

Green and I traded off the driving and I was at the wheel when we crossed the James River Bridge. I could see the morning light appearing in the east. People in Europe were already awake and taking care of business on a Monday. Herbert and Max were at the law office. Judy was at the hospital. Their lives continued. We were just arriving home after a long eventful week.

In a few minutes we were at the house and we stumbled from the van and each of us found a bed where we fell into deep sleep.

It was good to be home safe in the arms of Matan as our lives continued.

 

Well, Yonatan missed his classes on the first day after fall break and Matan didn't get to work but they returned to the U.S. and were safe.
Copyright © 2019 Mac Rountree; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, Fae Briona said:

'Security issue that was a false alarm" -- wonder what that was

Fae,

Thanks for being a reader of the Matan and Yonatan story.   

El Al is so focused on security issues it could have been one of many things.  They don't take chances.  Better safe than sorry.   

Green is clear with Yonatan that every time something happens it may not be about them.  The fellows have been through a lot in 48 hours so it is understandable that Yonatan is "freaking."  

Mac

Link to comment

Excellent chapter! After a whirlwind trip to Paris and Vienna, Brussels was a peaceful respite for the guys. The family apartment is beautiful and full of the artwork that their family had collected over the years. The grandfathers best friend and his family protected the property and assets that are the legacy of the family members who died. Matan was overwhelmed by the scale of artwork and the painting of his grandparents. The trip to their flight back to the USA was full of scary moments but ultimately safe. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, flesco said:

Excellent chapter! After a whirlwind trip to Paris and Vienna, Brussels was a peaceful respite for the guys. The family apartment is beautiful and full of the artwork that their family had collected over the years. The grandfathers best friend and his family protected the property and assets that are the legacy of the family members who died. Matan was overwhelmed by the scale of artwork and the painting of his grandparents. The trip to their flight back to the USA was full of scary moments but ultimately safe. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

Flesco,

Brussels was a chance for Matan to process all that had happened in Paris and Vienna.  The portrait of his great grandparents was very moving because they were no longer theoretical but now he had a portrait and he met someone who knew them.  They became real.  This is where Yonatan and Matan will build their future.  

Thanks for reading about our two fellows.

Mac

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..