Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,923 Words
  • 1,868 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way.

Lost Soul - The Ox - 3. Part 3

When close relationships come to an end it can be difficult and a good friend can make a huge difference. Marty is a good friend and tries to make that difference, in doing so he makes a discovery.
There are no warnings for this part, but keep those tissues handy.

Marty had got to know Ox well in Iraq, and with their renewed friendship they had become closer. The day Andy left for the barracks, he had sensed Ox’s discomfort. That was enough reason for Marty to try calling Ox several times a day. He needed to speak to his friend and find out what was troubling him. Since the call from Andy’s CO Ox hadn’t answered any calls and left them to go to his telephone answering machine, he didn’t want to speak to or see anyone.

Out of concern for his friend, Marty contacted the CO of Andy’s barracks to speak to him. With the relationship that existed between Andy and Ox, it seemed the natural thing to do. Nobody would give him any information. Eventually, through sheer persistence, he got through to the CO’s office. Even when he explained who he was and his connection with Ox and Andy, he still couldn’t get any information. Marty understood the reasoning as to why. It was army protocol. He didn’t like it but had to accept it. As a last-ditch effort, he contacted his ex-CO. After explaining the situation, he was promised they would contact Andy’s CO and get back to him as soon as possible. Sometimes it pays to maintain contacts.

Thursday afternoon that week, he received a call from his friend in his old unit and was given the news. Marty was naturally upset and shocked. He had to console his son Martin when he passed on the news. That evening the pub remained closed as father and son drove to Ox’s house.

******

Ox woke up from his drunken sleep just after eight o’clock that evening. The pounding on his door sounded like someone was breaking in. He slowly dragged himself from the sofa where he had been sleeping these last few nights and staggered to open the door, determined to beat whoever was there. As he opened the door, he drunkenly swung his fist to lash out and fell on to path outside.

“Dad, look at him. He’s completely out of it. What do we do?” Martin knelt beside Ox and tried to lift him, but the weight of the unresponsive drunken man was too much.

Marty went to help his son, “We’ll do whatever we have to. He needs us even if he doesn’t know it.”

With some difficulty, they lifted Ox and carried him into the house, placing him on the sofa he had been sleeping on. The house was a mess, several empty whisky bottles were lying on their side on the floor, and some had spilt the last of their contents on the carpet, leaving the house smelling of whisky. Half-eaten sausage rolls and a pork pie with one bite taken from it lay discarded on the coffee table. Ox’s clothing was stained and stunk of urine where he hadn’t made it to the toilet. The kitchen floor showed signs of Ox losing the contents of his stomach with no attempt to clean it up. All in all, both Ox and his house were in a very sorry state.

Marty was disgusted, not with Ox as he understood his pain, but with the army, particularly Andy’s CO, who was also Ox’s ex-CO. He immediately called his ex-CO, explaining the situation and expressing his feelings about Ox being left with no support. Marty asked for help. He was assured that help would be with them the following day and asked to do what he could until then.

“Okay son, we have our orders. Now, what say we try to get Ox cleaned up a bit? We can’t get him upstairs to his room, but we can try to make him more comfortable on the sofa. Then you get off home and I’ll stay here. Are you okay with that?” Marty was a bit cold in the way he spoke, but that was how he had learned to deal with a crisis.

“If you’re sure, I can stay here too if you need me.” Martin didn’t want to leave. He had grown fond of Ox and considered him family.

“You’re a good lad and a credit to your mother, she would be proud of you if she were still with us, but yes, I’m sure. One of us needs to be at the pub, and you’re the one our customers rely on.” Marty was also proud of his son. It showed in his words and the tone of his voice.

They stripped Ox of his rank dirty clothes, did their best to give him a bed bath and redressed him in fresh underwear and pj’s. It’s not easy when the man you are trying to help is sleeping drunk and a dead weight. After making Ox as comfortable as possible, Martin left for the pub, and Marty made himself comfortable in an armchair.

Thanks to Ox’s snoring and an armchair not being the most comfortable place to sleep, Marty had woken a few times through the night. Just before six in the morning, he gave up and went to make a pot of strong tea. After doing what little he could to tidy up the kitchen, he was sat at the Kitchen table with his second cup when he heard two cars pull up. When he looked out the window, he noticed that a Sergeant, a Corporal and two Lance Corporals get out of the first car. They were from Andy and Ox’s regiment and stood staring at the second car, chatting among themselves.

When a Corporal from Marty’s old regiment got out of the second car, the Sergeant's mouth went into overdrive. “I don’t know what you are doing here. This is nothing to do with you, so you can get back in that boneshaker and get back to where you came from. You are not needed here. We look after our own.”

On that, a second door of the second car flew open, and a Sergeant-Major jumped out. “You shut your mouth and do not speak to me or my Corporal like that. That is unless you are prepared to face the consequences.” The man's face was red with rage.

Both men started arguing, and it looked like it could come to blows. That was until the Corporal opened the rear door to his car, stood to attention and saluted. “Sir.”

When the Captain got out of the car, he saluted the Corporal. “Thank you, Corporal.” Then he addressed the arguing men. “Sergeant-Major, I understand your annoyance but do not disgrace yourself, your regiment or the uniform by behaving like that in public.” He then glared at the other man. “You, Sergeant, are already skating on thin ice with the way you greeted our arrival. Are you determined to make your position worse by arguing with a senior NCO?”

Both men stood to attention and saluted. “My apologies Sir. I was trying to explain to the Sergeant, that I have been assigned a task by my CO regardless of his objections. The CO expects a full and accurate report on my return to barracks.” The Sergeant Major was polite as he answered the Captain but still glared at the Sergeant.

“Very well, Sergeant Major, do not let it happen again in my presence, and I will let it go this time.” Then speaking to the Sergeant, the Captain asked. “And you Sergeant?”

The Sergeant looked like he was about to burst a blood vessel. His reply was somewhat, strained. “With respect Sir, Major Oxley is of our regiment, as was Sergeant Lucy. Andy was a friend of mine. We are here to look after our own, and we do not need any help from either the SAS or the Medical Corps.”

The Captain was furious but kept his composure. “You say, ‘with respect’ Sergeant? I do not think you or your men know the meaning of the word respect. I am fully aware of your orders Sergeant, and I am also aware that none of you are volunteers. You were ordered to attend. I am also aware of the orders given to the Sergeant-Major, who did volunteer. If any of you had respect, Major Oxley would have had support as soon as he was given the bad news, not left abandoned. The Sergeant Major’s orders are to ensure that you carry out your orders and report his findings to your CO. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Good, now remember I am the senior officer assigned to this duty, and as that ice, you are currently skating on is starting to crack, you are advised to remember that before you end up on a charge of insubordination. Is that clear, Sergeant?” The Captain may be from the Medical Corps but knew how to take control.

“Yes sir.”

“Heavens be praised. The Neanderthal understands. Now go carry out your duties and remember to follow orders from your superiors.” The Captain was looking up to the sky as he spoke.

Marty had made his way to the front door and watched, as the events took place, in front of him. He stepped to one side and struggled to stop laughing at the Sergeant as he and his men entered the house.

The Captain examined and advised Ox. Being aware of his previous injuries, he wanted to make sure that Ox was in good health. The Captain was happy with his physical health but was concerned for Ox’s mental health. He was grieving, not just for Andy, but also for the men he lost in Iraq. Being a nurse in the Medical Corps, the Corporal was assigned to remain with Ox for the next two weeks to give whatever support was needed. His orders came direct from the Captain.

During the clean-up, Marty had gone to check Andy’s room. With the layer of dust, it was obvious that Ox had not been in there. There was no doubt in Marty’s mind that it was because it was too painful. He could only imagine how he would feel if he lost Martin. It was the same type of relationship, that of father and son. He decided to tidy the room, and in doing so, he came across a journal under Andy’s pillows.

The journal told of Andy’s struggle to cope and of his addiction to drugs. Later entries told of how he avoided detection by doctoring reports when being tested for drugs at the barracks. Andy knew that he needed to stop the drugs and was getting help, being supported by Martin, who swore to secrecy. His last entry was the morning he left. Andy wrote that he had not used drugs for more than a week and was determined to remain clean. He wanted to be there for Ox. He knew Ox was still suffering and needed support. He felt that he had let Ox down. His last words were. ‘Ox has been more of a father to me than my own father. I have to be clean to give Ox the title he deserves and call him Dad.’

Holding back tears, Marty put the journal back for safekeeping. He intended to take it with him when he left for safekeeping. He felt it needed to be kept from Ox until he was strong enough to read it.

By the end of the day, the house was spotless, and everything was in its rightful place. Even Ox’s old dress uniform had been refreshed and pressed. He would be wearing it again soon for one last time.

Marty and his son Martin have tried and are trying to be good friends, does it make that difference? Well that will be answered in the final part.
This was intended to be the final part but it just developed to be more, so it's been split into two parts and made it a four part story instead of the three originally intended. I'll try to post it in about a week, it needs a bit of rewriting and polishing up so please bare with me.
Once again thank you for reading and the reactions left, especially to those who have taken time to leave comments as they are appreciated. If you haven't commented yet why not leave me some feedback? It's always appreciated, read and acknowledged, I'd enjoy reading what you think.
This has been written without the aid of a beta reader or editor as that how I've chosen to do it so any errors are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll try to correct them.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 9
  • Sad 1
This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I believe that the US government thinks it’s offering complete support, but because the VA (Veterans Affairs, formerly Veterans Administration) is a separate agency from the military, things don’t flow smoothly. There has also been a scandal over the long wait times for care – long enough that patients die before they ever receive assistance! Part of it is inefficiency, part of it is underfunding, and part of it is due to the patients refusing to seek help (due to a specific genetic health condition: they’re male!).

In any case, hundreds of thousands of Vets and other ex-military personnel end up on the streets.

Privatizing the VA might help with certain areas, but it will end up meaning less money goes to actually helping the patients. Profit doesn’t magically appear out of nowhere – that’s a fairytale only the foolish believe. Top-down management inefficiency is obvious in the notorious military penchant for hurry up and wait.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Is this the first of a series of shorts featuring the various clients of The Boot? ‘Lost Soul – JJ’? ‘Lost Soul – Bill’?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I believe that the US government thinks it’s offering complete support, but because the VA (Veterans Affairs, formerly Veterans Administration) is a separate agency from the military, things don’t flow smoothly. There has also been a scandal over the long wait times for care – long enough that patients die before they ever receive assistance! Part of it is inefficiency, part of it is underfunding, and part of it is due to the patients refusing to seek help (due to a specific genetic health condition: they’re male!).

In any case, hundreds of thousands of Vets and other ex-military personnel end up on the streets.

Privatizing the VA might help with certain areas, but it will end up meaning less money goes to actually helping the patients. Profit doesn’t magically appear out of nowhere – that’s a fairytale only the foolish believe. Top-down management inefficiency is obvious in the notorious military penchant for hurry up and wait.

I think we have similar problems over here, including the genetic condition. I think a lot of Ox's problems stem from that genetic condition, remember the saying, 'stubborn as an ox' ? 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Is this the first of a series of shorts featuring the various clients of The Boot? ‘Lost Soul – JJ’? ‘Lost Soul – Bill’?

You got it in one, 👍. There will be other Lost Soul stories to come at a later date.

Oh and I hadn't thought about calling the Lost Soul series, but I like it thank you for that great idea. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@droughtquake I think we share a similar sense of humour, I like it.

I won't be writing a story for every character but there will be stories for the main characters, some may be joint stories in the case of couples.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Just because I recognized the pun doesn’t mean I would have come up with it. My favorite humor is more reliant on intentional misinterpretation, especially when repeated over time. (ie I annoy my friends tremendously.)
;–)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

If Andy's journal entries are to be believed then it appears unlikely his death was suicide, but an accident. Either way, the grief being felt by Ox is overwhelming. Given his appearance and circumstances in The Boot - Three Years On I must assume the army either tired of trying to help him or he refused their help or perhaps it was a combination of both.

I am enjoying this story immensely @Mancunian. Ox is so not what one would associate with a career military man; he is so much more complex and interesting. His road to self-destruction is now more understandable after reading this book. His own stubbornness is likely to have been a contributing factor, but that same stubbornness is what helped him to some extent beat, or at least manage, his demons.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

If Andy's journal entries are to be believed then it appears unlikely his death was suicide, but an accident. Either way, the grief being felt by Ox is overwhelming. Given his appearance and circumstances in The Boot - Three Years On I must assume the army either tired of trying to help him or he refused their help or perhaps it was a combination of both.

I am enjoying this story immensely @Mancunian. Ox is so not what one would associate with a career military man; he is so much more complex and interesting. His road to self-destruction is now more understandable after reading this book. His own stubbornness is likely to have been a contributing factor, but that same stubbornness is what helped him to some extent beat, or at least manage, his demons.

Andy's journal entries should be believed, he has no reason to lie in his journal. Ox's grief is beyond anything he has felt before, he lost men whom he regarded as family in combat which would be hard to deal with but at least in combat, there was an explanation. Andy's death was a senseless accident and harder for Ox to comprehend. Ox's stubbornness coupled with his sense of pride and independence is probably why help was discontinued. Ox was career-minded, but not of the cold hard-nosed type, he was caring and respectful. I have no doubt this was a contributing factor in Ox's downfall.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment

Too much truth here. In the US, veterans are often left to their own devices regardless of how well they are able to care for themselves. This situation probably occurs IRL all too often.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

Too much truth here. In the US, veterans are often left to their own devices regardless of how well they are able to care for themselves. This situation probably occurs IRL all too often.

Research appears to show that one shameful thing the UK and the USA have in common is a lack of support for its veterans. Fortunately, some charities take up the slack but even that is wrong in so many ways as it should be our governments leading the way in giving the support that our vets deserve.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..