Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,632 Words
  • 1,756 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way.

Lost Soul - The Ox - 4. Part 4 - The Final Part.

This is the final part of Ox/The Major's story, it takes us to the point of his introduction in The Boot and gives us more of insight into the man.
Remember this is a story of a man's 'journey' into homelessness, none of these stories are 'good time' stories, so keep the kleenex ready, hopefully you will see the occasional slightly happier times during your read.

Marty and the Corporal stayed to give Ox support in this difficult time. Between them, they had a degree of success. Marty was instrumental in keeping Ox sober and away from the bottle. The Corporal kept on top of the mundane daily tasks, as he wasn’t used to Ox’s likes and ways he made some mistakes. It wasn’t as disastrous as it could have been. It caused Ox to take charge and start doing things for himself. Life was as near normal as possible for Ox, given the circumstances.

A week after Marty’s intervention, the Captain returned to visit. It wasn’t unexpected. He had made it clear that he would return to check on Ox, who he now regarded as his patient. He also brought news that following the army autopsy and investigation. There had also been an inquest. The findings were that Andy’s death had been an accident. Witnesses had confirmed that Andy swerved to miss a fox in the road and that action with the sun in his eyes caused him to veer off the road at speed after losing control, resulting in the fatal accident. A broken neck was listed among Andy’s injuries and attributed to his death, which was almost certainly instantaneous.

While Ox tried to take comfort in the fact Andy probably didn’t suffer. Marty was relieved that no traces of drugs were in his system. Marty knew that if Andy’s drug use came out, it could destroy his devastated friend. Despite the investigation findings, Ox still had niggling doubts that Andy may have taken his own life. He had trouble dealing with those doubts and hid them from those around him.

Andy had no known relatives and, in a will, instructed that Ox, be treated as his next of kin and father. This caused Ox to become emotional, which did not go unnoticed. With Ox’s permission, the army arranged the funeral at the local church and cemetery, where Andy would have a guard of honour.

Andy’s CO spoke of a young man who served with loyalty. Although he hadn’t seen any active service, his role had been one that collated some of the highest levels of intelligence and was only known to a select few. Ox spoke of a man who made him proud and brought him joy and of the growing relationship that gave him the honour and opportunity to be a father figure. Martin spoke of the trustworthy, loyal friend and amused everyone with anecdotes of their ‘tamer’ antics. All the men spoke of how Andy will be missed leaving a gap in their lives.

As was his right due to rank Ox wore his dress uniform adorned with a black armband, holding the rank of Captain Marty was also dress uniform also adorned with a black armband. Although it was a small affair, Sergeant Andrew Lucy was buried with honour.

In the following days, Ox received Andy’s personal possessions from Barracks. A few weeks later, he received a cheque in the post for £15,351.25. It was a payment of life insurance taken out by Andy. It was followed days later by a further insurance payment from the army. That was the final straw for Ox and the start of a downward spiral.

Marty, who had returned home weeks before, continued to visit Ox, and the visits were returned. The Corporal returned to the barracks days after the funeral leaving Ox alone. Unable to settle and feeling constricted by the attention, he needed to be left alone to deal with matters on his own terms. Ox made his decisions and put his plan into action.

Slowly personal possessions were disposed of except for items that Ox valued. Ox sold the cars, Andy’s motorbike had been crushed due to the damage following the accident, and he put the house on the market, complete with all furnishings. Packing what few personal possessions he had left, he set off leaving, instructions with his solicitor that all money received on the sale of the house, be placed into a designated bank account.

Intending to travel the world for the next year or two, he set off, cutting himself off from those he knew.

******

Eighteen months later, Ox returned to England, landing at Manchester Airport. His clothes and baggage were shabby, he had little money in his pocket, and his current account was down to his last few hundred pounds. Feeling sorry for himself, Ox had been drunk for most of his travels and was barely sober. Getting in a cab, he asked to be taken to a cheap hotel. He didn’t care which one. It needed to be cheap, as that was all he could afford.

After paying the driver and retrieving his bags, he looked at the run-down building. Previously it had been a fine establishment, but those days were long gone. He checked in and was taken to a room as shabby as his clothes and bags. Taking the bottle he purchased on the plane from his duty-free bag, he fell onto the bed, took a swig and fell asleep.

It wasn’t long before he realised his money wouldn’t last. Ox never considered contacting his old friend Marty or getting his life back on track. He only thought about choosing between the hotel and drinking scotch. The scotch won. Checking out of the hotel, he was reduced to sleeping on park benches and in doorways.

If he had checked his bank accounts properly, he would have realised he had a large and growing balance in one of those accounts. His army pension was paid into this ‘lost’ account when coupled with the insurance pay-outs he had received and the proceeds from the house, it amounted to a tidy sum. Drunkenly unaware of his wealth, he started his life on the streets.

When Ox discovered a relatively quiet and secluded spot under the arches near Piccadilly train station, he made it his home. Using the skills developed in the army, he hid his possessions and escaped from prying eyes.

Ox’s money ran out about the same time he was admitted to the hospital. He was malnourished and jaundiced. Spending time in the hospital was not high on his list of things to do, but weak from too much drinking and not enough eating Ox didn’t have the strength to argue. To make matters worse, the ward sister was like a dragon and barked orders like a sergeant major.

As soon as he could, he discharged himself and returned to his life on the streets. The ‘sergeant major’ of a ward sister had convinced him to attend AA meetings which he kept up and became sober, referring to himself as a recovering alcoholic. Due to his stubbornness and embarrassment, he maintained his ‘street’ lifestyle and never considered contacting his old friends.

It wasn’t long before he heard of something everyone called The Boot. It was a man trying to help homeless people by feeding them from the boot of his car. It was welcome and helpful as he had no money to buy anything. Ox didn’t like to beg, and he wouldn’t, but this was different. There was no begging, it was an unconditional gift, and he couldn’t afford to be too proud.

After only a few visits, he saw how rowdy it could get and tried to steer clear of those responsible, but one night he couldn’t stand it anymore. That night he saw a man called Bill push a young woman over. She was obviously homeless and in need of food. Ox lost it and spoke up. No, he shouted and prepared to use his military training in her defence if needed. He may not be as fit as he was, but Ox felt he could still look after himself if, he needed to. Ox didn’t need to. His manner and stance made everyone stop and listen. When he and the woman he had ‘rescued’ were given food, they left together and spoke. In conversation he accidentally let it slip that he was ex-military and an officer. From then on, he became known as The Major.

Ox never spoke much to anyone except the woman he had helped. He knew her as Beccy. They developed a friendship of sorts and was flattered when she said he reminded her of her deceased father. The compliment was accepted, and that is how their friendship continued. One day Ox, was approached by a rough and ready-looking man who wanted to speak with him about his relationship with Beccy.

Ox, The Major, was immediately on his guard. He was surprised and amused when this man called him sir and asked his permission to date Beccy. Hiding his amusement, he remained serious. The man, whose name is Jim, was told that he had permission, but only if Beccy agreed. He was also told that if he hurt Beccy, he would be hurt physically in return. They parted with a handshake, and The Major held respect for Jim.

The Major kept a watchful eye on Beccy and a few others, who he felt needed support. A few months later, The Boot had ‘transformed’ into a night shelter. Many of the homeless people in the area, including The Major, made regular use of the facilities there and were thankful for their existence.

On a cold October night, The Major’s life was disrupted, by two injured young men who stumbled on his ‘home’. Instead of being disgruntled, he took a liking to them and tried to help and protect them, but within a couple of days, he knew he needed to ask for help for them. There was only one person he felt he could trust enough to ask. On the streets, The Major felt needed. His life had purpose again.

Homelessness is a serious matter, especially for those that experience it, many sink into despair that they feel they cannot control. Homeless people need help and support to regain control of their lives, some will take any glimmer of hope they can get and cling on to it, it helps to give some feeling of normality. Ox/The Major has his glimmer of hope and his little bit of normality. If you want to find out what difference it makes to him you can find out in The Boot, the first story in the series and The Boot World.
More Lost Soul stories will follow.
Thank you to those who have read, reacted and commented your interest in the story is what keeps me going. Let me know what you think, your comments are read and considered invaluable.
I have written this without the aid of a beta reader or editor so any mistakes are all mine, let me know if you spot any and I'll correct them as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 12
This story has been revised and edited to improve the reader experience, it has not been altered in any other way.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So it sounds like the Major has a healthy bank account he’s neglected to check. He must be aware that his Army pension is going somewhere. When will he realize what he has?

In the US, if there’s an account that’s been abandoned (no deposits or withdrawals), after a certain amount of time, the funds are sent from the bank to the state where they are held. This sometimes happens when people move or when they die. Income tax refunds are also sometimes forgotten about. The states maintain websites where you can search for all such funds. I would expect something similar to occur in the UK as well.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

So it sounds like the Major has a healthy bank account he’s neglected to check. He must be aware that his Army pension is going somewhere. When will he realize what he has?

In the US, if there’s an account that’s been abandoned (no deposits or withdrawals), after a certain amount of time, the funds are sent from the bank to the state where they are held. This sometimes happens when people move or when they die. Income tax refunds are also sometimes forgotten about. The states maintain websites where you can search for all such funds. I would expect something similar to occur in the UK as well.

You forget he is a stubborn bugger and it is a real possibility that he is suffering from some form of PTSD that has affected his memory. It will come out in time, but that is a chapter or two in The Boot - Three Years On.

There is a similar scheme here in the UK for abandoned bank accounts, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure how it operates, I'd better research that for the story.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raven1 said:

Thanks for letting us know the backstory for Ox.  I am happy that things improved for him.

This is one man's story and reflects what can happen, and too often does, to our ex servicemen. Our ex-servicemen need support when returning to civilian life, especially those that have seen active service. I hope that Ox's, later known as The Major, story reflects that.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

After reading his back story my respect for Ox aka The Major aka Alex has grown even more. His flaws are many but his qualities of loyalty, integrity and a desire to help and protect "the underdog" outshine his flaws. No wonder he was, and continues to be, beloved by so many. I have said it before and I shall say it again, he is anything but a stereotype, cliche or caricature. 

Befitting conclusion to the story which charts Ox's descent into alcoholism and homelessness @Mancunian.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for your kind comments about the story and Major Alexander 'The Ox' Oxley. You are right, he does have flaws, as do we all, and he does treat people with decency and respect, loyal to his friends and those he considers family. He gains the respect of others by earning it. It is a shame that a man like Ox ended up on the streets, but he could no longer cope, something that could, and does, happen to anybody.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It is Ox's years of taking control of situations as they Pop-UP. I was only a Lt. in the USAF but when leadership is needed I jump into the fray. I took on the community Library when I felt they had abandoned their duties, and won. The loan that was up for a vote was denied. They then acted to correct many of the deficiencies they let accumulate.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Endoman said:

It is Ox's years of taking control of situations as they Pop-UP. I was only a Lt. in the USAF but when leadership is needed I jump into the fray. I took on the community Library when I felt they had abandoned their duties, and won. The loan that was up for a vote was denied. They then acted to correct many of the deficiencies they let accumulate.

I think with many ex-military, especially officers, the skills and leadership qualities never die although they dull a little. Those skills and qualities sometimes come to the fore when there is a need. As yours did when your community needed some leadership, the same is true of Ox.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

A very good back-story. Looking forward to more of the series.

Thank you for your interest and for reading The Major's story, I'm happy that you enjoyed it and hope that you enjoy the other stories in The Boot World. Thank you for your comments too, I have enjoyed reading them and hope you will continue to comment.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..