Jump to content
    Mark008
  • Author
  • 678 Words
  • 774 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Forever Alone - 1. Chapter 1

There’s a famous quote that goes something like “You are born into this world alone, and you will die alone.” I never believed this quote was true because I wasn’t born alone, for you see I have a twin sister. Her name is Julie and as children growing up in a small town near Portland we did everything together. She was my best friend in the whole world and nothing could tear us apart, that is until we turned eighteen. When we were growing up my parents always said that as soon as we turn eighteen we were out of the house. It was at this time that my sister and I went our separate ways. Julie went off to college in another state and lived on campus, whereas I moved into a single bedroom apartment a few blocks down the road from my parents.

While in high school I took a part-time job at the local department store and managed to save up some money, more than enough for first and last months’ rent. I was never interested in school and spent most of my time writing in my journal capturing my thoughts and dreams. I knew as soon as I finished high school that I would go off on my own and explore the world creating many experiences that I could write about.

It’s been a year since Julie and I graduated high school and I’ve been working full-time at the department store trying to save up enough money to start my adventure. The pay was very good as Peter, the store owner, gave me a substantial raise when I agreed to work full-time. I was always very loyal at work, was never late, and made sure to treat all of our customers with respect. He appreciated this since good help was hard to find in a small town and we always needed two people in the store at all times. One person to help customers and work the cash register, while the other stocked shelves and dealt with deliveries from suppliers. Peter was getting older and I guess all my talk of exploring the world has influenced him quite a bit. He wanted to spend more time away from the store so he could take vacations in exotic places and spend more time with his grand kids.

It was last week when Peter decided it was time to hire another full-time worker and he already had someone in mind. When he told me his plans and that the new employee was starting today after lunch I was shocked and wasn’t prepared for this. Peter then surprised me by saying he was promoting me to Assistant Manager with a five dollar an hour pay raise and he would look for me to run the store while he took some much needed time off. This came as a pleasant surprise and I was jumping for joy as the extra money will allow me to reach my goal of travelling the earth sooner. I asked Peter to tell me more about the new employee he hired. He told me he was a young fellow he knew from church and was very similar to me. We were both the same age, nineteen years old, both very shy and didn’t like to step outside our comfort zones, and we looked a lot alike since we both had brown hair and brown eyes. It sounded like we had a lot in common and will get along very well, other than the fact he went to church and I didn’t. The rest of the morning flew by as I stared off into space day dreaming about getting closer to my dream of travelling the world. As I went deeper into thought I couldn’t help to think about the second part of the quote, the part where you will die alone. I always believed this to be true and knew that when I die, I will die alone. That is until I saw my new co-worker walk in the front door.

Copyright © 2014 Mark008; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Story chapters with such few words need to make each one needful. You have unnecessary descriptions, in that Peter wouldn't be describing hair or eye color in a real world situation, just to name two. Another point to consider would be to write out numbers; 18 as eighteen and $5 as five dollars or five-dollar unless your story requires actual numbers to make a specific point.

 

While it is not a great beginning, it is not awful. You are going to have your work cut out for you in living up to the idea of the story note. I caution you to follow these direction and advertise for a beta-reader and editor. Best of luck and good writing to you, Mark.

Link to comment
On 01/09/2014 08:46 AM, Ron said:
Story chapters with such few words need to make each one needful. You have unnecessary descriptions, in that Peter wouldn't be describing hair or eye color in a real world situation, just to name two. Another point to consider would be to write out numbers; 18 as eighteen and $5 as five dollars or five-dollar unless your story requires actual numbers to make a specific point.

 

While it is not a great beginning, it is not awful. You are going to have your work cut out for you in living up to the idea of the story note. I caution you to follow these direction and advertise for a beta-reader and editor. Best of luck and good writing to you, Mark.

Thanks for the feedback Ron! I definitely appreciate your honesty and guidance. An editor will definitely help and thank you for providing the links, I'll read through them and work on making future chapters better :)
Link to comment

The biggest thing is I want to see what chapter 2 has coming. If you can make readers want to know more, you are doing pretty well. Good luck! I just posted my own first story and I know how much fun this can be!

Link to comment

Hey Mark! I like the story so far! :)

 

The narrator does sound ambitious, working full-time in order to save money for his travels and writing.

 

Can't believe his parents threw him and Julie out of the house at eighteen. So Julie's in college - she can never go back home? How about on school breaks? lol I know, I'm focusing on the wrong things. lol

 

Ok, on to the next chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..