Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>

Ray of Hope - 4. Chapter 4

Chp4
 
The sun broke through my window with a vengeance. I'd managed to stay out all night, finally stumbling to my room drunk and numb. I wanted to get up and draw the shade but I knew the sun meant I'd have to go to work, and that meant another distraction, one more way to keep myself from thinking too much.
 
I stumbled to the small bathroom and turned the faucets, letting the water warm up as I stripped off my clothes. The person in the mirror looked like someone I'd never want to meet. The dark shadows under my eyes and the dullness of my skin marked the last two weeks clearly. I had to get myself together quickly, Hollywood was a week away and I couldn't afford to give it anything but my best.
 
I decided to try a simple note, the closing note to "Underneath It All" by No Doubt. I couldn't hit the right pitch and I knew I'd overdone the partying lately. I had a week to get myself back to where I ought to be vocally, physically, and mentally. Being a good vocalist was one thing, but that never meant you'd make it far in the competition, I had to be like a sword, balanced, sharp, and ready. I had to choose good songs, things I could sing but that at the same time challenged me to do well and show my talent.
 
Time to buckle down Mr.Johnson!
 
I stepped into the shower and decided that this shower would wash away the partying, the drinking, and the lack of care I had been giving myself lately.
 
I walked to work, new attitude, new determination, new goals. I would start working out again, I would get a haircut, and I would eat healthy.
 
"Morning Frank!!" I shouted as I made my way to the back to grab my apron and my name tag.
 
"Hey lil Ray!!"
 
I smiled and headed to my register. Frank was a great man, he was nice, he was giving and he loved his family from the very core of his being. Good men weren't made like him anymore though, now all I saw were deadbeats and cheaters.
 
"Lil Ray I need you to do the shelves please!! Stephen called out, I'll do register"
 
"Anything new come in?"
 
"Some vegan thing, try and make it look nice? The Misses wants us to be more...how'd she put it? 'Forward-thinking' whatever that means"
 
I snickered as I made my way around the register, Brenda had married a man who hated change and had somehow managed to make him agree to change things. What we sold and the way we did business had taken a definite turn to the more "hipster" life. The registers had gone from clunky boxes to the most advanced POS system in town, and one that had eliminated two jobs; the buyer and the accountant. The system allowed Frank to order any of the products that were low in stock and it kept a minute detail spreadsheet of the accounts payable and the accounts receivable. "Frank's" was now fully run by Frank and Brenda, their CPA only took care of their taxes.
 
I went into the back and loaded the trolley with the stuff that was right in the front. Frank always prioritized the merchandise, the front was things that were too low on stock and the stuff at the back were items that sold but slowly. There was the chime of the door opening, and then I heard Andrew's voice.
 
"Hey Frank! How's business?"
 
"It's alright. How's the misses?"
 
I pulled my phone and sent Frank a text
 
 
"She's doing alright, she's a bit worried about the baby, and Ray just up and left the house two weeks ago, no word"
 
"You don't say? Not like him. He called out today too, maybe I oughta have a talk with lil Ray later" he emphasized later, letting me know I was in hot water.
 
"Do you have anything for nausea? Camilla's been horribly sick lately."
"Yes, I've some vegan cracker things, gluten free, taste just like saltines, no GMOs, no chemicals."
 
"Brenda?"
 
"I love her, what else do you do?"
 
"I know just what mean" I heard them laugh then heard Frank walking towards the back room. I grabbed three packs and held them out for him. He looked me dead in the eye and shook his head, disappointment clearly marked in every inch of his features. He mouthed something that I didn't catch and went back out. I felt like the worst human being on earth. I'd walked out on two people who'd shown me nothing but kindness.
 
"Hey Frank...I hate to involve you in this, but could you give this to Ray next time you see him? It arrived late, but tell him it's from the Collins..."
 
"C'mon Andrew. What's really going on? Grown men don't usually get this downcast for nothing."
 
"Camilla and I were so ready to ask Ray, we thought it over so much. Hell, she told me it was either quit smoking or throw Ray out. I haven't had a cigarette in two weeks and we still never got to--"
I couldn't hear any more of it. I didn't want to know what I'd almost had and lost. I ran out the back entrance and I didn't stop running until I was off Main Street. My lungs were on fire and my skin was drenched in sweat. I pulled my phone out to let Frank know but already I had 6 missed calls. I sat down on a park bench and called him.
 
"Raymond Johnson!! Precisely what the fuck is the matter with you boy? Those are some good people and you are being an absolute piece of shit with them. Now either you call up the Collins and explain yourself or you and I are gonna be doing a little more than just talking!!! I want a call from Andy or Camilla by 9 o'clock TONIGHT or you can find yourself another job ya hear?"
 
I opened my mouth to speak but the phone beeped and the call was over.
 
"I've really done it this time. Way to mess it all up Ray."
 
I called Ryan, he'd be an unbiased party with only cutting truths.
 
"Raymond Johnson!!! I've just been called by a certain lady who is going nucking futz!!! Are you seriously not calling these people back?"
 
"I...I don't..."
 
"Ray!!! This woman is pregnant!!! Caaallll her!!!"
 
The line beeped, and I knew that the conversation was over. I'd acted like a complete fool and I knew it, but I didn't want to call her, I didn't want to see them, I just wanted to be gone. I wanted to not want.
I sat at the park for a while; I weighted the options I had and I tried to make decisions that would harm none. I tried to reason with myself, to detach myself from the situation and look for the obviously simple solution that so alluded me, trouble was there simply wasn't one that didn't involve the Collins. I took a deep breath and hailed a cab.
 
Copyright © 2017 Matthew Jacob; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hey, Matthew! Happy New Year! :)

 

"Nucking futz" - I like that! lol

 

Remind me again, who are the Collins?

 

I still don't get why Ray is being such an ass. Why on earth would he think that just b/c he turned eighteen, he'd be kicked out of the house?

 

I'm looking forward to reading what happens next. :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 01/02/2014 02:37 PM, Lisa said:
Hey, Matthew! Happy New Year! :)

 

"Nucking futz" - I like that! lol

 

Remind me again, who are the Collins?

 

I still don't get why Ray is being such an ass. Why on earth would he think that just b/c he turned eighteen, he'd be kicked out of the house?

 

I'm looking forward to reading what happens next. :2thumbs:

Happy New Year!!!

 

The Collins are a Ray's foster parents. I think you'll like where this is headed

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..